sp2 Firewall Port Range

Bill Benz

Aug 19, 2004, 2:33:34 AM8/19/04
I need to open a range of ports(around 100) in the built in sp2 firewall.
I do not see a way to open a range of ports without manually opening each
one.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill

SlowJet

Aug 19, 2004, 3:20:45 AM8/19/04
I sure don'y see a way to specify a range.
But if the 100 ports are used by a program(s),
when the program runs (starts listening),
wouldn't WFW do the pop-up and say this is being block,
continue to block, unblock, or ask me later.

Also, the program name could be added to the exception
list.

SJ

>.

SlowJet

Aug 19, 2004, 4:24:31 AM8/19/04
Assuming the program send something out to be responded
to.
Otherwise it would just sit and spin.

SJ

>.

Bill Benz

Aug 19, 2004, 4:24:41 PM8/19/04
Program is on the excetion list however it will not work. It is a FTP
server and needs a range of ports to work.
Damn microsoft :-(

"SlowJet" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Aug 19, 2004, 5:33:20 PM8/19/04
You could use a BAT file and the NETSH FIREWALL command

An example of this would be opening ports 20000 to 20010

@Echo OFF
FOR /L %%I IN (20000,1,20010) DO NETSH FIREWALL ADD PORTOPENING TCP %%I FTPPort%%I

To run this command from the Run dialog, use:

@Echo OFF
FOR /L %I IN (20000,1,20010) DO NETSH FIREWALL ADD PORTOPENING TCP %I FTPPort%I

Open a Command Prompt window and enter NETSH FIREWALL /? for more help on this topic. NETSH FIREWALL ADD /? for more help on the ADD command.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.