password

caalee

Sep 20, 2009, 3:56:01 AM9/20/09
I recently changed password can't remember it and hint does not help, are my
only options to log in as administrator a password reset disk and if so
where and how much $$$
--
cdj

Leonard Grey

Sep 20, 2009, 4:49:04 AM9/20/09
If you could log in as an Administrator, you would have, and if you had
made a password reset diskette, you would have used it. So good luck
breaking into your parents' account.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

caalee

Sep 20, 2009, 10:57:01 AM9/20/09
i am not interested in breakn in to my parents acct. I am 42 yrs. old Please
someone answer my question where and how much $$$ for a reset disk?
--
cdj

Malke

Sep 20, 2009, 11:55:59 AM9/20/09
caalee wrote:

> i am not interested in breakn in to my parents acct. I am 42 yrs. old
> Please someone answer my question where and how much $$$ for a reset disk?

You do not need to spend any money. Log into the built-in Administrator
account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do this by repeatedly
tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up. This will get you to the
right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key; the mouse will not work here.
Once in Safe Mode, you will see the normally hidden Administrator account.
The default password is a blank.

In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen, do
Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
"Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Shenan Stanley

Sep 20, 2009, 1:04:41 PM9/20/09

Research goes a long way and it is free.

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Example:
I forgot my Windows XP password
http://www.google.com/search?q=I+forgot+my+Windows+XP+password

Or, in case you aren't sure what just happened...
http://tinyurl.com/lqum8k

Now that you might understand how an Internet search can be performed, let's
look at the results...

I like the third link - it has everything you need.
Forgot the Administrator's Password? - Windows Password Recovery ...
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

That includes ways (free) to hack/crack/reset the administrator password on
the machine as long as you have physical access to it and an ability to make
a CD or floppy diskette and use it.

Come back - let everyone know if that helped you or not...

Why should you come back - well - this comversation is now archived and
searchable. You coming back and stating that you got help, that it worked,
maybe even explaining which technique you used to resolve your issue might
help someone in the future who searches for the same problem you had...

<this conversation archived indefinitely>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/browse_frm/thread/52abee390c1d45b5/
</this conversation archived indefinitely>

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--