The login user interface failed to load

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 23, 2008, 4:10:19 PM11/23/08
I'm getting this message (subject) when I try to start my HP laptop
running Windows XP Home (with SP3). The message indicates that
msgina.dll is missing or corrupted.

Last known good configuration does not solve the problem and the safe
mode also needs the dll.

I can load the system CD and access the repair console. I found a
description of how to use the repair console to reload a different dll
and tried that substituting my dll.

I'm using instructions intended for recovering kernal32.dll, but I
thought it would work if I just replaced kernal.dll with msgina.dll.

I've renamed msgina.dll to msgina.old.

I used map to confirm the drive name (d).
At C:\windows\system32: I tried "expand d:\i386\msgina.dll_ " Result:
The system cannot find the file or directory specified. I tried
"expand d:\msgina.dll_ and got the same.

Of course I don't know what I'm doing.

If anyone understands what I am talking about and can lead me from
where I am in the recovery console to the promise land, I'd be
eternally grateful.

Tomas

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 23, 2008, 4:21:06 PM11/23/08

More information: A scan of my XP system CD (three years old) shows
there is no msgina.dll on that disk! Now what do I do? I wonder if
there is a way to download a more recent copy.

CTOS

Nov 23, 2008, 4:59:01 PM11/23/08
At the Repair Console, try this:

cd c:\windows\system32\dllcache
dir msgina.dll

If file is present, then:

copy msgina.dll c:\windows\system32
exit

See if you can boot to either Normal or Safe mode.

jaws a thon

Nov 23, 2008, 7:57:23 PM11/23/08
donload another copy from microsoft update.

Shenan Stanley

Nov 24, 2008, 1:31:01 AM11/24/08

Why not stick with one of the threads you started instead of starting new
ones?
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=8cq8_RYAAAApFqrMzg_oVrtJX48MJQeHo4cocwWvDVg2RHsu8f1bCg

Like this one:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security.homeusers/browse_frm/thread/4070a8d958b99697/b3350613a944aa23#b3350613a944aa23

CTOS may have your answer...

See this post for a method to get it off your CD (it is there - just
compressed.)

I still think you'd be better off with an SFC /SCANNOW. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

Nov 24, 2008, 1:36:29 AM11/24/08
<snipped>
<entire conversation>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain/browse_frm/thread/4b97b920149c24ef/f37810aa2e1ba568#f37810aa2e1ba568

Shenan Stanley wrote:
<snipped>

> See this post for a method to get it off your CD (it is there - just
> compressed.)

<snipped>

My bad!

Here's the post:
http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/WinXP/microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics/2006-07/msg00510.html

WhidbeyTomas

Nov 27, 2008, 12:49:21 PM11/27/08
On Nov 24, 1:31 am, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WhidbeyTomas wrote:
> > I'm getting this message (subject) when I try to start my HP laptop
> > running Windows XP Home (with SP3). The message indicates that
> > msgina.dll is missing or corrupted.
>
> > Last known good configuration does not solve the problem and the
> > safe mode also needs the dll.
>
> > I can load the system CD and access the repair console. I found a
> > description of how to use the repair console to reload a different
> > dll and tried that substituting my dll.
>
> > I'm using instructions intended for recovering kernal32.dll, but I
> > thought it would work if I just replaced kernal.dll with msgina.dll.
>
> > I've renamed msgina.dll to msgina.old.
>
> > I used map to confirm the drive name (d).
> > At C:\windows\system32: I tried "expand d:\i386\msgina.dll_ "
> > Result: The system cannot find the file or directory specified. I
> > tried "expand d:\msgina.dll_ and got the same.
>
> > Of course I don't know what I'm doing.
>
> > If anyone understands what I am talking about and can lead me from
> > where I am in the recovery console to the promise land, I'd be
> > eternally grateful.
>
> Why not stick with one of the threads you started instead of starting new
> ones?http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=8cq8_RYAAAApFqrMzg_o...
>
> Like this one:http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security.homeusers/br...

> CTOS may have your answer...
>
> See this post for a method to get it off your CD (it is there - just
> compressed.)
>
> I still think you'd be better off with an SFC /SCANNOW.  ;-)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>      MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

To be honest, I would stick with one thread if I could find my way
back to it.

Shenan Stanley

Nov 27, 2008, 12:57:40 PM11/27/08
<snip>

WhidbeyTomas wrote:
> To be honest, I would stick with one thread if I could find my way
> back to it.

One way back was included in my response... ;-)

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security.homeusers/browse_frm/thread/4070a8d958b99697/b3350613a944aa23#b3350613a944aa23

Frank-FL

Nov 30, 2008, 1:56:02 PM11/30/08

"WhidbeyTomas" <whidbe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Your best bet at this point would be to google _msgina.dll_. READ UP
on this problem.