Error Message

PT

Aug 10, 2006, 5:35:47 PM8/10/06
I have a shortcut to my Temporary Internet Files folder at
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.

When I click on the shortcut, I get an error message.
The dialog box is labeled Internet Explorer
The message is "This page has an unspecified potential security flaw.
Continue Y/N?"

If I click yes, it takes me to the TIF folder.

I emptied the TIF folder, but continued to get the message. But if I go
directly to the TIF folder using Windows Explorer, it opens without a
message.

I googled the message which seems to arise normally when IE tries to access
certain web sites. This doesn't appear to be my situation. Other than the
curious nature of the message, it doesn't seem to have any other effects.

Can someone explain why it occurs, and particularly, how to stop it?
--

PT

Wesley Vogel

Aug 10, 2006, 7:47:00 PM8/10/06
> The dialog box is labeled Internet Explorer
> The message is "This page has an unspecified potential security flaw.
> Continue Y/N?"

This has been added with one of the latest Windows Updates. I have no idea
which one. I uninstalled all of them from Tuesday and the message is now
history. There may another way to stop it, but I'm not going to waste time
looking. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uK6azTMv...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
PT <x...@xyz.com> hunted and pecked:

andy....@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2006, 1:32:04 AM8/12/06

This has been caused by Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398). It
was one of the batch of updates that came down this week. It will
affect anyone who gets all updates (not just the critical ones). You
can uninstall it using Add/Remove Program with the "Show update" box
ticked. I'm hoping MS patches the update to fix this ASAP.

Wesley Vogel

Aug 12, 2006, 3:38:25 PM8/12/06
Thanks for the KB921398 info. I have posted it to others asking about this.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User