The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

Paul G

Apr 22, 2003, 1:05:42 PM4/22/03
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a problem I am having.

For a while now I have been running a desktop and laptop on a network at
home through a 4 port adsl router/hub using standard cat 5 cable etc. I have
run the network as a simple workgroup with no passwords for the two users
that use both machines and all has been fine and dandy until...

I set up remote desktop so that I could access my desktop whilst away, to do
this I followed the instructions given in xp help, set the users with
passwords (including the administrator account) and installed iis, mapped
port 80 and 3389 to the desktop through the router and opened up inbound
port 80 within zonelarm pro (which i have been using successfully for some
time). After a bit of poking and prodding I have managed to get remote
desktop working fine.

Unfortunately I can now no longer access any of the shared folders on the
desktop from the laptop through the network. I can still see the desktop
under view workgroup computers window but when I double click it I get the
message: "the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this
computer" instead of a list of the shared folders that I used to get. I have
a shared folder on the laptop and I can still see and access that just fine.

Both the desktop and laptop are set up to use the same workgroup, and the
users and their passwords are identical on both machines. I have also tried
deleting and recreating user accounts.

I would be really grateful if anyone could suggest anything to try, I have
searched the net including the knowledgebase with no success, I am no expert
and it is really starting to do my head it.

thanks in advance

Paul

Paul G

Apr 22, 2003, 5:52:03 PM4/22/03
I am using win xp pro on both machines by the way

"Paul G" <som...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Apr 22, 2003, 9:49:35 PM4/22/03
Hi Paul,

This problem was caused by a local policy(s) set on the Windows XP
Professional
machine, which prevented access from across the network.

Check the following Local Policies:

1) Go To Start->Run->type "secpol.msc"
2) Double click Local Policy
3) Double click User Rights Assignment
4) Search for the following policies:
a. "Access this computer from the network"
b. "Deny access to this computer from the network"

6) The default settings for the "Access this computer from the network"
policy is

to allow: Administrators, Power Users, Users, Backup Operators, and the
Everyone
group. All should have check boxes checked

7) The default setting for the "Deny access to this computer from the
network"
policy is blank. No one should be listed in this policy (SUPPORT_388945a0
may be
listed here. it's ok).

8) Ensure that all the groups are listed to allow access and that only
SUPPORT_388945a0 is listed
in the deny policy.

Please also grantee the user "Logon as a batch job" rights.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Online Support Professional

ste...@online.microsoft.com

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
rights.
--------------------
| From: "Paul G" <som...@microsoft.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| Subject: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this
computer
| Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:05:42 +0100

Paul G

Apr 23, 2003, 7:39:30 AM4/23/03
Absolutely blinding Steven, many thanks for your help, it works!!!

The only think I see different is that there are no check boxes next to the
groups anywhere, I guess this may be related to use or non use of domains?
Anyhoo it works now so thanks again.

Regards

Paul