Rotating loses aspect ratio?

Terry Pinnell

Sep 14, 2005, 3:50:32 PM9/14/05
I'm a novice user. Just installed MM 2.0 (on XP SP1). One of the first
features I took advantage of was the Rotate 90, from Video Effects, on
an MPG from my digicam. It was taken in portrait mode but displayed in
landscape mode, so I've used Rotate 90 to get it back to portrait. But
that has now noticeably stretched the picture sideways, 'fattening up'
the subject. How can I fix that please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Cari (MS-MVP)

Sep 14, 2005, 5:38:12 PM9/14/05
See my response to your other postings in the Video newsgroups.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Terry Pinnell" <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

Terry Pinnell

Sep 15, 2005, 1:24:41 AM9/15/05
"Cari \(MS-MVP\)" <Newsg...@coribright.com> wrote:

>See my response to your other postings in the Video newsgroups.

Thanks, but where is that please? I posted here
http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1372810&sid=108f31297f66ff81931d9875414e826a#1372810
but as of a few minutes ago I'd had no replies...

Rehan

Sep 15, 2005, 4:22:33 AM9/15/05
Use the following custom effects for rotating without distortion.

Instructions:
Copy paste the xml code into notepad and Save As "rotate.xml" in the folder
C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX.
Create the AddOnTFX folder if necessary.
Confirm the file has .xml extension by turning off the "hide extensions of
known file types" from Explorer > Tools > Folder options > View.
Restart WMM. Locate the new effects "Rotate Left" etc in the Effects section

<TransitionsAndEffects Version="1.0" >
<Effects>
<EffectDLL guid="{B4DC8DD9-2CC1-4081-9B2B-20D7030234EF}">
<Effect name="Rotate Right" iconid="24" >
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="RotateA" value="right" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.25" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotate Left" iconid="23" >
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="RotateA" value="left" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.25" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotate Right Fit" iconid="24" >
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="RotateA" value="right" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.25" />
</Effect>
<Effect name="Rotate Left Fit" iconid="23" >
<Param name="InternalName" value="Simple3D" />
<Param name="RotateA" value="left" />
<Param name="ScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="InitialScaleA" value="0.75" />
<Param name="Progress" value="0.25" />
</Effect>
</EffectDLL>
</Effects>
</TransitionsAndEffects>

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media

Terry Pinnell

Sep 15, 2005, 4:01:42 PM9/15/05
"Rehan" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote:

Thanks, Rehan. Looks a bit daunting given my low knowhow level in this
area, but I'll have a crack at it!

Terry Pinnell

Sep 15, 2005, 6:17:38 PM9/15/05
Terry Pinnell <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>"Rehan" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Use the following custom effects for rotating without distortion.
>>
>>Instructions:
>>Copy paste the xml code into notepad and Save As "rotate.xml" in the folder
>>C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\Shared\AddOnTFX.
>>Create the AddOnTFX folder if necessary.
>>Confirm the file has .xml extension by turning off the "hide extensions of
>>known file types" from Explorer > Tools > Folder options > View.
>>Restart WMM. Locate the new effects "Rotate Left" etc in the Effects section

[snip]

>Thanks, Rehan. Looks a bit daunting given my low knowhow level in this
>area, but I'll have a crack at it!

Implementing that was straightforward enough after all. Maybe I
screwed up somewhere, but after using Rotate 90 again in MM 2.0, I'm
afraid the result was still 'squashed'.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Thu 15 September 2005, 23:14 UK time

Rehan

Sep 15, 2005, 6:32:33 PM9/15/05
> Implementing that was straightforward enough after all. Maybe I
> screwed up somewhere, but after using Rotate 90 again in MM 2.0, I'm
> afraid the result was still 'squashed'.

Note: The new effects should be called "Rotate Left" and "Rotate Right" etc.
But I guess you would have used those anyway...

If you can send me a short clip to test, I'll be glad to send you a custom
effect to fix the rotation squashing.

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker

"Terry Pinnell" <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

Terry Pinnell

Sep 16, 2005, 8:42:25 AM9/16/05
"Rehan" <som...@somewhere.com> wrote:

>> Implementing that was straightforward enough after all. Maybe I
>> screwed up somewhere, but after using Rotate 90 again in MM 2.0, I'm
>> afraid the result was still 'squashed'.
>

>Note: The new effects should be called "Rotate Left" and "Rotate Right" etc.
>But I guess you would have used those anyway...
>
>If you can send me a short clip to test, I'll be glad to send you a custom
>effect to fix the rotation squashing.

Sorted! Thanks, Rehan, you're a star. The reason for my initial
failure was that I was using Rotate 90 (which is what I used first).
Now, with Rotate Right, all is OK.

It's just as well, because I still haven't found a solution to the
problem I described earlier, namely that after rotating (correctly) in
VirtualDub, any further work in MM 2.0 distorts it again. Although my
practical requirement is now solved, thanks to your XML wizardry, I'm
curious to know what the reason is for that incompatibility or
whatever it is?

Terry Pinnell

Sep 16, 2005, 9:37:50 AM9/16/05
Terry Pinnell <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

In fact, I found that I should use 'Rotate Right Fit'. Using Rotate
Right wasn't too bad, but still slightly squashed. Could you/anyone
amplify on these definitions please? Three separate options for each
rotation seems over-generous! Why would anyone *not* want to preserve
correct proportions (which is presumably what 'fit' means?)

Rehan

Sep 16, 2005, 4:02:53 PM9/16/05
> Sorted! Thanks, Rehan, you're a star. The reason for my initial
> failure was that I was using Rotate 90 (which is what I used first).
> Now, with Rotate Right, all is OK.

I am glad it worked for you. You are welcome.

> I'm
> curious to know what the reason is for that incompatibility or
> whatever it is?

I guess, the "Rotation 90" etc is not technically defined as a unique
operation. I am sure the built in effects have their use too; however for
correcting portrait shooting, the custome effects I made may be more
suitable.

If you feel excited by this stuff you would be plased to know thatthere is a
whole world of custom effects and transitions waiting for you to explore.
Most of this type of discussion happens at:
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/forums

--
Rehan
MS MVP -- Digital Media
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows Movie Maker

"Terry Pinnell" <terr...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in message

atanas3...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2016, 3:14:59 PM7/30/16
Thank you, Rehan.
It worked like a charm (and if necessary I can change the scale to fit).