Help and Support Won't Run

Steve

Jan 27, 2005, 10:29:06 PM1/27/05
Windows XP Pro, SP1.

Clicking on Help and Support on the Start menu does nothing.

No errors, just nothing. How do I fix it?

Thanks.

Steve

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Jan 27, 2005, 11:37:39 PM1/27/05
Hi Steve,

See if these commands help, from Start, Run dialog:

helpctr -regserver
regsvr32 itss
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Steve" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Frances [MSFT]

Jan 28, 2005, 1:58:11 AM1/28/05
Hello Steve,

After reading your post, I believe that this issue is related to winxp.
Please post it in the microsoft.public.windowsxp newsgroup since they are
the experts in winxp and will provide the most accurate information on this
issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Frances He

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Admiral Q

Jan 28, 2005, 7:56:20 PM1/28/05
This is a WinXP newsgroup and it is the "Help and Support" newsgroup to
boot - how much more OT can the OP get?

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

"Frances [MSFT]" <v-fr...@microsoft.com> wrote in message

Admiral Q

Jan 28, 2005, 7:58:09 PM1/28/05
Steve,
Check the MS Knowledge base:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;EN-US;KBHOWTO

Something about "Help and Support" not working - I remember an issue where
it you turned off certain "services" that it would stop functioning.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

Rebecca Chen [MSFT]

Jan 31, 2005, 4:18:30 AM1/31/05
Hi Steve,

I would like to jump in and add some cents here.

According to my experience, this issue could occur if the Help and Support
related files are corrupted or missing. Please use the following steps to
reinstall the Help and Support Center:

Step I: End the Help and Support services if they run in the background.

1. Click Start, click Run and type "taskmgr" . Click OK. This opens Task
Manager.

2. Click the Process tab. Stop all of the following processing if running:

helpsvc.exe

helphost.exe

helpctr.exe

Step II: Reinstall Help and Support:

1. Click Start, click Run and type "cmd". Click OK. This opens Command
Prompt.

2. In Command Prompt, type the following command lines:

net stop helpsvc

cd /d %windir%\pchealth\helpctr

rd packagestore /s /q

rd installedskus /s /q

cd binaries

start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install

start /w helpsvc /register

Note: The “start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install?command
line
reinstalls Help and Support, which may take several minutes.

3. Click Start, click Help and Support and see if the issue is resolved.

HTH!

Any update, let us get in touch!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Steve

Feb 1, 2005, 12:07:24 AM2/1/05
Rebecca,

Thanks for the response.

It worked!!!

By the way, could this have any effect on installing SP2 which I am unable
to do? I have tried several times and get an error stating there is a
problem copying a file. "Cannot copy to destination directory." Then it
cannot continue. I have tried 5-6 times and I get this error on a different
file each time.

Steve

"Rebecca Chen [MSFT]" <v-r...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rebecca Chen [MSFT]

Feb 1, 2005, 1:37:40 AM2/1/05
Hi Steve,

I am glad to hear Help and Support Center issue has been resolved!

According to my experience, Help and Support Center is not related to the
SP2 installation.

I understand you have encounter the error "Cannot copy to destination
directory" when installing SP2, in order to keep the thread clean, please
open up a new thread in Microsoft.public.windowsxp.general to discuss this
issue.

Thank you for your understanding!