Windows Explorer error on exit

George

Sep 28, 2005, 4:18:30 AM9/28/05
A few days ago I downloaded and installed some Windows XP Pro updates.  Since then whenever I exit Windows Explorer I get the following dialog box:

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows

To help your computer, Windows has closed this program.

    Name: Windows Explorer
    Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

                                                    Close Message

Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats.  What should I do?

Then, when I click on CLOSE MESSAGE I get an error dialog box that says: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Then it wants to send an error report to Microsoft.

I then have to log off and then back on again to use my computer because it wipes out half me system tray icons.

Does anyone know the cause and cure for this problem?  Any help will be appreciated.

George

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Sep 28, 2005, 6:00:55 AM9/28/05
George,

It is possible that one of the shell extensions has caused this DEP error.
I'd isolate the problem by disabling the third-party shell extensions one at
a time and test the behavior. ShellExView can help in this case.

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"George" <patr...@spam-filter.cts.com> wrote in message

A few days ago I downloaded and installed some Windows XP Pro updates.
Since then whenever I exit Windows Explorer I get the following dialog box:

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows

To help your computer, Windows has closed this program.

Name: Windows Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

Close Message

George

Sep 28, 2005, 8:53:33 AM9/28/05
Thank you for the suggestion. I have downloaded the program and installed
it.

Do I have to do a REBOOT each time I disable or enable a shell?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ram...@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Sep 28, 2005, 9:03:07 AM9/28/05
Rebooting is not usually required. Also, read this note:

"You can disable them ...they say "one at a time" and see what effect it has
on the problem. I did it a lot quicker by bisecting the list, disabling half
of the entries in one fell swoop, rebooting."

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"George" <patr...@spam-filter.cts.com> wrote in message

George

Sep 28, 2005, 10:15:19 AM9/28/05
I have installed the program.
The first thing I disabled was the AOL Toolbar (I hate AOL).
Problem gone!!!!

Thank you so very much!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ram...@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Ramesh, MS-MVP