Search Companion selection pane is blank in XP Home

Philip Andrews

Mar 31, 2006, 6:51:44 AM3/31/06
Hello,

After cleaning my HDD of a couple of trojans (using AVG7), I can't get
Search to work. The search options selection pane is blank, but the dog is
still showing. Can anyone shed light on this for me, please?

Cheers,

Philip

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Mar 31, 2006, 7:21:04 AM3/31/06
Philip,

Type in Start, Run:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Philip Andrews" <philip...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Philip Andrews

Apr 4, 2006, 12:57:50 PM4/4/06
Hi Ramesh,

Many thanks for that!

Regards,

Philip

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ram...@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Rowan

May 31, 2006, 8:51:03 AM5/31/06
HI Ramesh,

I have the same problem (at least I think it is!). I tried your fix but I
got an error message saying the following "DllRegisterServer in jscript.dll
failed, Return code was:0x80004005".

The problem is still there. if I click on "Search" from the start menu, the
window opens but the selection pane is completely blank. The little dog
appears but, regardless of whether the right or left mouse button is clicked,
all he does is scratch himself ;-)

Do you have any other ideas? I notice that my son can still run it OK from
his profile but mine is dead - don't know if this is significant or not. I
am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Cheers

Rowan

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Jun 1, 2006, 12:39:54 AM6/1/06
Hi Rowan,

This has to do with incorrect registry permissions. Here is how to reset it.

Ramesh Srinivasan's Blog: Reset the entire registry permissions to defaults:
http://winonline.blogspot.com/2005/11/reset-entire-registry-permissions-to.html

Note that you need to reset the permissions for "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" hive
only. Administrators and the SYSTEM group must have Full Control. Users have
Read access.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Rowan" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hawks@discussions.microsoft.com Tim Hawks

Jun 18, 2006, 10:43:01 PM6/18/06
I tried the regedit nut it did not clear it up. I was not able to download
the recomendation in the BLOG. Waht do I do now? Thanks.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Jun 19, 2006, 1:20:38 AM6/19/06
>> I was not able to download the recomendation in the BLOG

Try this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Tim Hawks" <Tim Ha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Carlinhos

Aug 23, 2006, 4:08:02 AM8/23/06

whooops

Jan 14, 2007, 10:06:01 PM1/14/07
If you have recently installed Windows Desktop Search, this could be the
problem. Try to uninstall it but be careful, some of your taskbar toolbars
(if you use them) will disappear. Not a big deal, you just have to recreate
them. Also beware of the other programs it may inform you of changing.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Jan 14, 2007, 11:56:13 PM1/14/07
Several dialog boxes are blank:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831430

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

pradeepvarkala

May 7, 2010, 1:32:38 AM5/7/10

Hai friends

You dont need to download or install any softwares to fix this simple
problem.

pls use the following options

START -- > RUN --->
regsvr32 wshom.ocx