Problems With installing SP2 onto SP!

David Pratt

Aug 11, 2009, 12:37:03 PM8/11/09
Background: My daughter recently acquired an old HP computer with XP SP1 on
it. She tried to logon onto her Yahoo account and IE would not navigate to
the appropriate web page to logon; in fact it would not load any secure page
having to do with yahoo at all. Thinking an upgrade on IE would help (IE
version is 6.something), I tried to Install IE7. installer would not run
after Download; said the signature of the files was wrong. After some
puttzing around, figured crypto system was corrupted somehow. Tried to
install SP2 from Microsoft's website, same problem. Just happen to have a
SP2 CD from way back, so I tried to install from that. After decompressing
the install files, installer says it cannot find a necessary file and craps
out. I have run anti virus on it and found some issues which got
quarantined, and also spybot search and destroy. since I do not have
original system cd, any suggestions?

David B.

Aug 11, 2009, 12:50:44 PM8/11/09
Find a shop that will format and reload for you, using a used computer with
a used OS is asking for trouble, you don't know where it's been or what's on
it, you could also call HP support and purchase a recovery kit.

--

------
"David Pratt" <djp3...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

neil

Aug 11, 2009, 1:21:38 PM8/11/09
You may find that you can press a certain key at start-up to start the HP
recovery process from a hidden partition. What model is the HP PC.
Neil

Shenan Stanley

Aug 11, 2009, 1:24:31 PM8/11/09

First - try to obtain an original Windows XP CD.

You essentially need a generic OEM CD with the same flavor (Home,
Professional, etc) as what is currently installed. Beg, borrow or buy one -
make a copy of the original, use the copy and keep another in a safe place.
The product key is likely on a sticker on the machine itself, although if it
is still running now - downloading and running Belarc Advisro would give you
the product key - I suggest you do that (Belarc) and print the results out.

Second - cleanup the machine and get SP3 on it!

Let's walk you through the install of Service Pack 3 and take into account
the most common issues people come across (handle them before you
come across them.)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(Ignore step 6 for now - you will get to that!)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Now for SP3...

Suggestions:

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. If you are following
along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time

4) Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.)

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable. Reboot when requested to
do so. Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes. Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones fornow. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

David Pratt

Aug 11, 2009, 3:05:35 PM8/11/09

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Big Question: Will I be able to use a windows Home SP2 OEM over a SP1
Install with the original's (SP1) product key?

Shenan Stanley

Aug 11, 2009, 3:19:09 PM8/11/09
<snipped>

David Pratt wrote:
> Big Question: Will I be able to use a windows Home SP2 OEM over a
> SP1 Install with the original's (SP1) product key?

Other than SP2b (which was done with Windows XP Home for product key reasons
if I recall correctly) a Windows XP Home OEM *(generic) CD will work with
any Windows XP Home OEM Product key you have.

You can integrate SP3 into the CD even.

Daave

Aug 11, 2009, 6:27:40 PM8/11/09
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> David Pratt wrote:
>> Big Question: Will I be able to use a windows Home SP2 OEM over a
>> SP1 Install with the original's (SP1) product key?
>
> Other than SP2b (which was done with Windows XP Home for product key
> reasons if I recall correctly) a Windows XP Home OEM *(generic) CD
> will work with any Windows XP Home OEM Product key you have.

Are you sure, Shenan? I know that if it's XP *Pro* and an HP computer,
there is an extra step.

I recently acquired an HP laptop that according to its COA was licensed
to run XP Pro. There was no recovery partition on this particular
laptop. Apparently it had originally shipped with a Recovery CD, which I
didn't have.

Since I already had a generic OEM XP Pro (w/ SP2) installation CD, I
figured I could just use that with the Product Key on the COA. But it
wouldn't work! Here is what did:

I Googled, using terms like "generic product key," "hp," and "xp pro." I
was able to come up with the generic master key HP uses that can be
found using a program like Belarc Advisor on any HP that was shipped
with XP Pro pre-loaded. The first ten characters are:

DMQBW-V8D4K

That was the key that worked! I am still not sure why. Does a *generic*
OEM CD interact with the CMOS chip to make sure the product key entered
matches this generic product key hard-coded onto the motherboard?

When it was time to activate, I had to re-enter the Product Key. But
this time, the generic key wasn't accepted, but the unique one on the
COA was.

David B.

Aug 12, 2009, 9:13:09 AM8/12/09
I've never had an OEM key fail to work and I've done many, including HP with
success.

--

------
"Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote in message

Twayne

Aug 12, 2009, 9:51:39 AM8/12/09
"David B." <ma...@nomail.net> wrote in message

> I've never had an OEM key fail to work and I've done many, including
> HP with success.

And just how does that affect the price of tea in China?

David Pratt

Aug 12, 2009, 10:39:05 AM8/12/09

"David Pratt" <djp3...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

UPDATE: I performed a non-destructive recovery from the HP recovery
partition and that seemed to fix the problem. I was able to install SP2 and
IE7 with no problems after that. I'm currently having my daughter go
through the update process and bring the system up to date. Thanks for all
the help, and I did learn something. I was always under the (false)
impression that Product Keys were unique to the build number, and that you
could not use a key from say XP (no SP) to install a OEM XP with SP2. Hmmmm!
Nice info to have.

Daave

Aug 12, 2009, 10:55:35 AM8/12/09

As I mentioned in my post, the generic OEM key (beginning with
DMQBW-V8D4K) did work while installing XP Pro (step 1) and the unique
key on the COA did work while activating XP Pro (step 2). I was just
puzzled as to why the unique key wouldn't work for step 1.

David B. wrote:
> I've never had an OEM key fail to work and I've done many, including
> HP with success.

David B.

Aug 12, 2009, 3:14:23 PM8/12/09
I don't have an answer for that, never ran into that problem.

--

------
"Daave" <da...@example.com> wrote in message

David B.

Aug 12, 2009, 3:14:52 PM8/12/09

It's much more relevant to this discussion than your useless input.

--

------
"Twayne" <nob...@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message

Richard

Aug 15, 2009, 1:38:33 PM8/15/09

> "David Pratt" <djp3...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Hi David,
Thanks for reporting back. At some point in the system update process you
will need to upgrade to SP3 also. If SP3 is installed after IE7, and a need
arises to uninstall and reinstall IE7, you would need to uninstall SP3
first, so it is generally a good idea to uninstall IE7 now, (which would
revert back to IE6,) then install SP3, and then install IE7. Even though
some upgrades and updates only require a restart of the computer, it is best
to REBOOT TWICE after any XP updates or IE changes. The restart is necessary
because system files cannot be updated while in use, and they are scheduled
to be updated at startup before Windows loads. The 2nd restart verifies that
the additional changes made during the 1st restart did not mess anything up.
If the 2nd restart has problems, you would still have the option of pressing
F8 before Windows loads and using the Last Known Good option to revert back
to a time before the most recent changes. Any 3rd party toolbars should be
uninstalled before uninstalling or installing any IE version.

FWIW. --Richard
- - -

Windows Update site (Review update History)
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
[repair install = new computer]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/spyware/prevent.mspx

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01457284

The hard disk space requirements for WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311
- - -