Re: Right click causes Explorer to crash

Skoðað 2 sinnum
Fara í fyrstu ólesnu skilaboð

Ron Badour

ólesið,
7. mar. 2009, 12:03:297.3.2009
til
Do a system restore to a date prior to the onset of this problem and see if
that fixes it. If you haven't used system restore before, check the help
file.

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP
Windows Desktop Experience

"Roger" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>4 days agi I had a problem in that I could not Right Click and delete a
>.RTF
> file. Since that appeared to be only file I didn't think much of it.
> Eventually was able to MOVE it to a floppy (couldn't delete it from there
> so
> threw floppy away.
> Now I discover I cannot RENAME numerous files with Right Click. I cannot
> DELETE files with RIGHT CLICK.
> Each time I get "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must
> close"
> A report get sents to MS but I doubt anyone actually reads those reports.
> I hope soneone can provide answer as I don't want to spend the next three
> days doing fresh install of all programs.

Elmo

ólesið,
7. mar. 2009, 19:45:097.3.2009
til
Roger wrote:
> 4 days ago I had a problem in that I could not Right Click and delete a .RTF
> file. Since that appeared to be only file I didn't think much of it.
> Eventually was able to MOVE it to a floppy (couldn't delete it from there so
> threw floppy away.
> Now I discover I cannot RENAME numerous files with Right Click. I cannot
> DELETE files with RIGHT CLICK.
> Each time I get "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close"
> A report gets sent to MS, but I doubt anyone actually reads those reports.
> I hope someone can provide answer as I don't want to spend the next three
> days doing fresh install of all programs.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Joe =o)

Twayne

ólesið,
8. mar. 2009, 18:53:248.3.2009
til

"Roger" <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>4 days agi I had a problem in that I could not Right Click and delete a
>.RTF
> file. Since that appeared to be only file I didn't think much of it.
> Eventually was able to MOVE it to a floppy (couldn't delete it from
> there so
> threw floppy away.
> Now I discover I cannot RENAME numerous files with Right Click. I
> cannot
> DELETE files with RIGHT CLICK.
> Each time I get "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must
> close"
> A report get sents to MS but I doubt anyone actually reads those
> reports.
> I hope soneone can provide answer as I don't want to spend the next
> three
> days doing fresh install of all programs.

Long shot: Any chance you have the Google Desktop Toolbar installed? I
noticed it did that to my machine when I tried it out. I had to remove
it to get things to work right again.

Twayne

rfd...@optonline.net

ólesið,
10. mar. 2009, 18:37:2010.3.2009
til
On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 07:00:01 -0800, Roger <Ro...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>4 days agi I had a problem in that I could not Right Click and delete a .RTF
>file. Since that appeared to be only file I didn't think much of it.
>Eventually was able to MOVE it to a floppy (couldn't delete it from there so
>threw floppy away.
>Now I discover I cannot RENAME numerous files with Right Click. I cannot
>DELETE files with RIGHT CLICK.
>Each time I get "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close"
>A report get sents to MS but I doubt anyone actually reads those reports.
>I hope soneone can provide answer as I don't want to spend the next three
>days doing fresh install of all programs.

Are they files with long names? I'm using Windows XP Pro and if I try to rename
or shorten the name of a long file (usually a music file I downloaded which has
more info than I want) Explorer crashes. First I get an error box saying Windows
Explorer has encountered a problem. Smaller files I can work on with right click
with no problem. I've bee trying to figure this one out for a long time and have
posted here several times with no luck.

Roger

ólesið,
17. mar. 2009, 18:36:0117.3.2009
til
File name has no relationship. Right click shows drop down window but if I
try to rename or delete any type or size file Explorer crashes.
Luckily I have a separate file management program that I have been using for
10 years+ on multiple comupters, which has a trash can so I can delete files
but even in this program when I try and right click it also crashes.
0 ný skilaboð