Recovering an opened attachment??? PLEASE HELP!

wefrox

Nov 17, 2005, 6:49:03 AM11/17/05
I don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to know.

Here's what happened. I was writing an article on a computer, saved it, and
then I emailed it to myself as a Microsoft Word attachment. When I went on my
email on another computer and clicked the attachment, it displayed the dialog
box that says "would you like to open or save this file?"
I clicked open. Then, I wrote about 15 pages. When I was done, I clicked "X"
on the screen, assuming it would ask me if I wanted to save it. I forgot that
I had clicked Open on the dialog box. It therefore said, "Do you want to save
the changes to "NEWNOVEL[2]?" I clicked Yes. Then Microsoft Word closed. Now,
I can not find where it is. I'm assuming it saved, as it asked me if i would
like to save changes. While i was downloading it, it said it was saving it to
a temporary folder, but I searched for "NEWNOVEL" on the computer and nothing
came up.

What I want to know is, after I've OPENED an attachment, edited it and then
saved it, where would it be on the computer?? is it just gone?

Please Help. I dont want to write pages and pages all over again!!!

bud

Nov 17, 2005, 8:39:02 AM11/17/05

"wefrox" <wef...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I don't know if it would do this but did you check the email attachment to
see if it saved it back to the email?
Also open something and then try to save as. It should show the last place
it saved to.

wefrox

Nov 17, 2005, 10:28:32 AM11/17/05
I tried both of those things. neither work. =/ i think by now i may as well
just retype it.

pittipat

Dec 15, 2005, 4:17:04 PM12/15/05
I have just run into exactly the same problem. The file is housed in a
temporary folder in "Content.IE5" folder, which in turn is housed in
"Temporary Internet Files." However, I can only see "Content.IE5" through an
application -- won't show when I try to go directly to it and won't come up
in a disk search. You *can* get to this by typing in the filepath in
explorer. Unfortunately, I'd mucked up and saved over the file before I
figured that out.

Good luck!

kaream

Dec 15, 2005, 8:17:50 PM12/15/05
I've never had this situation, but as I understand it, theoretically
Windows puts attachments into a hidden folder named OLK2. This hidden
folder is not a subfolder of Content.IE5, but rather is a subfolder of
Temporary Internet Files, at the same tree level as Content.IE5.
Windows refuses to display either of these unless you perform a little
workaround, as follows:

Open Windows Explorer (My Computer), and select Folders view, to open
the folders tree down the left side of your display.
--right-click Drive C:
--select Properties
--select Disk Cleanup
--highlight Temporary Internet Files
--select View Files

This will open a new window, showing the hidden Content.IE5 subfolder
and its contents both in the main portion of the display and in the
tree display, and the OLK2 subfolder in the tree. Click on OLK2 to
open it; hopefully your attachment should be there -- but again, I've
never had occasion to try this, and I have no idea whether OLK2 is in
fact the correct place to be looking. In any case it should NOT be
anywhere inside Content.IE5 or its randomly-named subfolders; these are
all internet data files. If you do find your attachment, you should be
able to copy it to My Documents or some other non-hidden folder.
Obviously you want to be careful not to accidentally perform a Disk
Cleanup -- you're there simply to access the View Files function.

Good luck.

kaream

Dec 15, 2005, 11:01:11 PM12/15/05
quote: "... a hidden folder named OLK2. This hidden folder is not a

subfolder of Content.IE5, but rather is a subfolder of Temporary
Internet Files, at the same tree level as Content.IE5."

Sorry, this was confusingly phrased; what I meant was that OLK2 is at
the same tree level as Content.IE5, both being subfolders of Temporary
Internet Files.

I've now emailed a Word document to myself, and edited and saved the
revision, and it did indeed save into OLK2 -- so that supposition is
correct.

I note that in a different Google Groups post someone has asserted that
the OLK2 folder can be viewed with Tools | Folder Options | View | Show
Hidden Files and Folders -- but at least in XP, this is not true. OLK2
and Content.IE5 are a special class of "hidden" folders, and do not
respond to the "Show Hidden" setting. Instead you need to View Files
from Disk Cleanup. Some users prefer to arrive at this point from
Start | Run | [type program name], but I think it's much easier and
more intuitive to use Windows Explorer as explained above.

If you are still using Windows 2000, these folders are not hidden.

Andytnguyen

May 18, 2006, 1:36:42 PM5/18/06

I think you can open up Windows Explorer (right click on Start and click
Explorer) and paste in to the address

C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\OLK2

This will display what is in the default folder that Outlook uses to
store attachments.

-Andy

--
Andytnguyen