Missing icon in system tray

Mrchuman

Apr 29, 2002, 11:38:29 PM4/29/02
I can enable the battery power meter icon to display in
the system tray through control panel, Control Panel -
Power Options. The problem is that when I reboot, the
icon will not reappear in the system tray automatically.
I have to re-enable it through Control Panel again.

I am dual booting Windows Me and XP. Me is on the C
partition. XP is on the D partition.

I have rebuilt the system from scratch at least 5 times
now, and the problem keeps reappearing.

Thank you.

Tim

Terra

Apr 30, 2002, 7:49:46 AM4/30/02
"Mrchuman" <Mrch...@aol.com> wrote in message

try this
go start > log off > log off
then log back on

if the icons show up it's a known problem with No Fix as yet
the workarounds are
1) log off/on after each reboot

2) kill/restart explorer.exe from task manager after each reboot

3) disable the ssdp & upnp services once and be done with it (my favorite)
this site has a utility to toggle these services for you
http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

this is what they relate to, I don't know why they would prevent the icons
from loading
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q262458

post back with results

hth
Terra

Mrchuman

Apr 30, 2002, 6:02:57 PM4/30/02
Terra,

Thanks for the tip. You were absolutely right. Logging
off and back on restored the system tray icons. I
uninstalled UPnP, and it seems to retain the icons after
rebooting now.

If you have time, I was just curious how you figured out
UPnP was related to my issue. The article and the web
pages in your e-mail didn't refer to missing icons at
all. If not, I understand.

Thanks again!

Tim

Terra

Apr 30, 2002, 8:07:28 PM4/30/02
> Terra,

> If you have time, I was just curious how you figured out
> UPnP was related to my issue.

I didn't, someone else did

Microsoft has known about the Missing icon issue since beta2, but it happens
on so few machines that few have complained, and or MS has yet to duplicate
& resolve

I first noticed it on a Laptop that the Safely Remove Hardware (used to be
Pccard) applet would not show up w/o the log off/on, then about 2mos ago
someone posted the ssdp/upnp disable workaround, and I linked the GRC UnPnP
utility to make it easier than futzing around in Services.msc

the Missing icons (Feature) is the Only remaining annoyance I've had with
more than 50 XP home & pro Installs, and it only croped up on about 16 of
them, I now just automaticaly load/run the UnPnP on all installs

btw I've also noticed a slight speedup in the Boot time (10~15sec avg) with
the ssdp & upnp disabled

hth
Terra