Windows Explorer Runtime Error (not related to Internet Explorer)

s.nag...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2006, 10:41:59 AM9/3/06
Dear Tech guys,
I badly need your support. Day before yesterday (01-Aug-06) night I
upgraded the yahoo toolbar and used their norton anti spy to scan. Then
I shut down the system and started to work the next day. Every thing is
perfectly ok except for one thing. In Windows Explorer, on any folder
or drive if I double click or open I get a crash. If I do explore then
there is no problem.

Below is the dialog that comes whenever we double click or open (for
eg: on C:\ or any folder in the left side pane of the windows explorer.
If I just keep expanding the + of the tree no problem, only on clicking
the item to open the following error occurs.)

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

program: C:\Windows\Explorer.exe

This Application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.

I am running on Windows XP SP 2. I dont have google toolbar. I have
yahoo tool bar installed. I have tried uninstalling it and installing
it again and other combinations as well.

I have also tried sfc /scannow as well. It did not work.

It doesnt look like any adware or spyware (yahoo's norton spyware had
done a complete run and no problems in the system as reported by them).

What should I do now to get back to normal operation of windows
explorer.

Thanks and Regards,
Naga Kumar S

FutureTechSys.com

Sep 3, 2006, 12:37:01 PM9/3/06
First thing you need to do for sure is get rid of Yahoo toolbar, or any other
toolbar that Microsoft didn't put in there. Some may disagree with me, but I
consider all of those to be spyware/junkware/malware. If Yahoo toolbar was
made by a company other than Yahoo, everyone including norton would consider
it junkware as well.

Next, try a system restore stepping back to the most recent settings that
worked.

After that, run Windows Update and get all of the critical updates, and
peruse the non-critical ones and see if you find any that might be helpful.

--
Sincerely,
Chris

Radu

Sep 6, 2006, 9:41:00 PM9/6/06
My friend, I am having the exact same problem since yesterday, and I
have NOT INSTALLED ANTYHING lately. I also have the exact same config
as yours - yahoo yes, google no. I have tried all that you have tried,
and more. No results. Curiously enough, though, an Explorer replacement
(FileAnt) works perfectly.
I'll let you know if I find anything.
Alex

oli...@doremieux.org

Sep 8, 2006, 1:09:17 PM9/8/06
I do have the same problem. No virus found, no spyware.
It says that explorer crashed because of the module kernel32.dll.
Both file haven't change since a long tiime. Weird!

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Olivier

oli...@doremieux.org

Sep 15, 2006, 2:38:56 AM9/15/06
Problem solved!
In my case it was FreeDownload Manager that needed to be updated.

How I did figure it out is more instersting.
I used Shexview you can find it at http://www.nirsoft.net.
It shows you the extension for explorer, you can sort it by created
time. The chance that it's something you just changed in you system are
quite big.
Disable the supicous extension one by one and test explorer. Lucky me I
just had to do 4 tests.

I hope this help.

Olivier

s.nag...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2006, 12:11:26 PM9/16/06
Dear Olivier,
THANKS A TON. Your route worked out very well for me as well. In my
case as well it was the free download manager. Unforturnately I have
the latest version so nothing to update but I have disabled the stuff.

* I downloaded the tool shexview.
* Since something would have been updated without our knowledge, I
sorted the list based on the date created in descending.
* Saw the FDM (Free Download Manager) on 16th August which was the date
I have started having the problem.
* Disabled the FDMIEBHO and voila things started working perfectly.

Thanks again Olivier (oli...@doremieux.org).

I greatly appreciate your effort in resolving and posting it back.

Warm Regards,
Naga Kumar S

johnbigo

Sep 21, 2006, 10:48:02 AM9/21/06