performed recovery an now computer wont work.

Charles

Jan 26, 2010, 7:25:01 AM1/26/10

I did a system recovery on my pc an now i cant do anything, a pop up come's
up at the main screen an it says (CODE PURPLE) I CANT CLOSE THE POP UP. or do
anything else but turn my pc off. please help me any won.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 26, 2010, 8:38:18 AM1/26/10

What is a "system recovery" in your words?

It actually says "Code Purple"?

Have you checked with the manufacturer/reseller of your computer?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

db

Jan 26, 2010, 9:44:42 AM1/26/10
if you mean a system restore
point, then it is likely infected;

if you are saying that code
purple is an infection.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Charles" <pkspo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Tim Jackson

Jan 26, 2010, 10:08:53 AM1/26/10
"Charles" <pkspo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Is the PC a Compaq or HP?

Google "hp compaq code purple" (without the quotes) will give you many
results including some with suggested solutions.

Jose

Jan 26, 2010, 10:13:30 AM1/26/10

After a Compaq System Restore using factory media, restarting there is
a message box titled System Configuration Error a bunch of text
telling you to cycle the power and the message ends with Code Purple
in parenthesis.

(Code Purple)

The OK or X buttons just cycle the error message.

Here is part 3 of a youtube video that shows you how to bypass the
configuration check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6yZCRT0Yzs&feature=related

View parts 1 and 2 to be sure that part 3 will be a solution for you.

Buffalo

Jan 26, 2010, 11:20:30 AM1/26/10

From the following site I found several solutions:

Don't know if they will work or not. Please read all comments and
suggestions first and make up your own mind.
It sounds like the motherboard is not being recognized properly by the
Compaq re

http://www.techimo.com/forum/applications-operating-systems/50892-xp-configuration-error-code-purple-2.html

One was to remove the motherboard battery for several minutes.(Shut down,
remove battery, wait, reinstall battery and reboot).

The other was:

"To access the "C:" drive to rename the file:
1. Boot the system with a Win Xp Original Disk.
2. When you have to select "Enter" to reload or "R" for Recovery Console
select "R".
3. Select the "H:\minint" Drive to bring up the System
4. At the "H:\minint" prompt, change to the "C:" prompt
5. Change directory to the "C:\hp\bin\configcheck"
6. Rename the file with the command "ren run.py run.p_"
7. Reboot the machine and there should be no "Code Purple" error."

Buffalo

thanatoid

Jan 26, 2010, 12:11:49 PM1/26/10
"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in

> Charles wrote:
>> I did a system recovery on my pc an now i cant do
>> anything, a pop up come's up at the main screen an it says
>> (CODE PURPLE) I CANT CLOSE THE POP UP. or do anything else
>> but turn my pc off. please help me any won.
>
> What is a "system recovery" in your words?
>
> It actually says "Code Purple"?
>
> Have you checked with the manufacturer/reseller of your
> computer?

Good answer.

May I refer you (although I can't recall if you were actually
involved) and others like you who think MS have a clue about
security and backup and recovery to the recent thread in which I
said I would never use sys restore and mentioned about hearing
about no-boot problems all the time, after which I was attacked
by pro-sys restore advocates.

Here's an example. Just one of thousands.

OP: Sorry, I can't help you. When you get your computer running,
one way or another, get an imaging program and image the C:
drive. Keep everything else on other partitions.

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 26, 2010, 1:58:07 PM1/26/10
thanatoid wrote:
> Good answer.
>
> May I refer you (although I can't recall if you were actually
> involved) and others like you who think MS have a clue about
> security and backup and recovery to the recent thread in which I
> said I would never use sys restore and mentioned about hearing
> about no-boot problems all the time, after which I was attacked
> by pro-sys restore advocates.
>
> Here's an example. Just one of thousands.
>
> OP: Sorry, I can't help you. When you get your computer running,
> one way or another, get an imaging program and image the C:
> drive. Keep everything else on other partitions.

System Restore and System Recovery are not the same.

This thread is about what the OP says is "System Recovery" - which is
usually an OEM process, non-microsoft related.

Also backups should always be in place, consistently followed.

thanatoid

Jan 26, 2010, 5:41:30 PM1/26/10

> thanatoid wrote:
>> Good answer.
>>
>> May I refer you (although I can't recall if you were
>> actually involved) and others like you who think MS have a
>> clue about security and backup and recovery to the recent
>> thread in which I said I would never use sys restore and
>> mentioned about hearing about no-boot problems all the
>> time, after which I was attacked by pro-sys restore
>> advocates.
>>
>> Here's an example. Just one of thousands.
>>
>> OP: Sorry, I can't help you. When you get your computer
>> running, one way or another, get an imaging program and
>> image the C: drive. Keep everything else on other
>> partitions.
>
> System Restore and System Recovery are not the same.

Are you sure the OP (and all the others who talk about this)
know that? I admit I didn't, but it sure did /not/ sound like he
went to his OEM manufacturer to get it done. I wouldn't do
EITHER, that's what actual OS discs (instead f "hidden
partitions) and imaging files are for.

> This thread is about what the OP says is "System Recovery"
> - which is usually an OEM process, non-microsoft related.
>
> Also backups should always be in place, consistently
> followed.

As I always say, the user is the bottom line - although MS has a
way of making that bottom line a little hard to find
sometimes...