Window logon, cannot locate user profile

Vrindavan

May 25, 2006, 8:31:34 AM5/25/06
Window logon, cannot locate user profile

window log in problem

i shuted down my win xp the last time not properly,
when i turned on my pc again

a window box tell me cannot locate my user profile,
the window box do not give me another option,

the words just say i was given a temporary login,
any windows setting changes done for that temp. logon will not be saved
for next computer use.

can i recover my last profile ?

if not , how can i get rid of the window popup and let window xp grant
me to set up a new permanent user profile again ?

i do not want them just give me a temp. user profile for one time use
only.

thanks for your help sooooo much

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 25, 2006, 9:01:26 AM5/25/06
Unfortuanately, your last used profile is corrupt, and the customizations
are lost. However, you can tranfer the data back to the new profile using
the method discussed here.

How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Vrindavan" <vrin...@runbox.com> wrote in message

Vrindavan

May 25, 2006, 9:25:59 AM5/25/06
does your method work in my case ?

i mean windows xp just log me on to a temporary profile logon only,
not a permanently new profile log on

can system retore fuction works in my case like your method too ?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Thanks

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 25, 2006, 9:36:08 AM5/25/06
>> can system retore fuction works in my case like your method too ?

Yes. Chances are there to restore your old NTUSER.DAT hive, which inturn may
restore your original profile info. Certainly worth a try.

>> i mean windows xp just log me on to a temporary profile logon only

The "Temporary profile logon" will remain permanently but the profile folder
would be something like this:

Vrindavan.001
Vrindavan.002
Vrindavan.<computername>

In order to prevent that, create a new user with your preferred user name
(in case the System Restore rollback does not help), and then you can copy
the user data to the new profile.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Vrindavan

May 25, 2006, 9:38:27 AM5/25/06
and i do not understand why windows xp
does not log me on a new permanent profile ?

and force me logon to a temp. profile ?

Vrindavan

May 25, 2006, 9:47:20 AM5/25/06

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 25, 2006, 9:45:50 AM5/25/06
If Windows is unable to load a user profile either due to missing profile
folders, incorrect permission to access the profile folder, or perhaps a
corrupted NTUSER.DAT (the user registry), it issues a temporary profile for
that user account. The temporary profile folder have those additional
"prefixes" as I said before.

Like I said, System Restore rollback is certainly worth a try.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Vrindavan" <vrin...@runbox.com> wrote in message

Vrindavan

May 25, 2006, 9:51:00 AM5/25/06

Ramesh, MS-MVP

May 25, 2006, 9:52:29 AM5/25/06
This question has been responded to. Here is my reply:

Repost:

- - -