Time and Date problem

Mike

May 11, 2007, 5:10:41 AM5/11/07

I've been running the same XP SP2 setup for a long time and a couple
of days ago I noticed the time and date had got set to incorrect
values. I reset them but next time I logged in the problem was back -
the date was set to sometime in 2006.

My first thought was the RTC battery had died but I checked the time
in the BIOS then switched off and unplugged the machine for a day.
The result was the BIOS showed the correct time so I don't believe it
is the CMOS / RTC battery that is at fault.

The problem seems to occur whenever I run Windows and it has me
stymied. I noticed that the time/date properties dialog on this PC
has an "inthernet time" tab that is missing from my work PC, I tried
unsetting the time server from the internet flag but this did not fix
the problem.

Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike

Wesley Vogel

May 11, 2007, 3:04:24 PM5/11/07
The Internet Time tab is not available if your computer is a member of a
domain.

If a computer loses time while it is on, it is not the CMOS battery.

When the machine first boots, Windows reads the computer clock to set the
time. After the machine is running Windows takes care of keeping track of
the time by counting timer interrupts generated from the same oscillator
that runs the system bus.

Try this, from Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User...
<quote>
If the clock loses time while running, try this:

Open a command prompt window (Start | Run | cmd) and enter the following
commands:

net stop w32time
w32tm /unregister
w32tm /register
net start w32time
<quote>

You can compare the system time with the Windows clock.

To determine if the time loss is a result of a weak computer battery:
1. Click Start | Click Run | Type: cmd | Click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type: time /t and then press ENTER.
3. Compare this time with the time that is reported by the clock on the
taskbar.
4. Type exit and then press ENTER or click on the Close [X].

If the computer's time and the time on the clock are different, the
computer's battery may be too weak to keep accurate time, and it should be
replaced. For information about how to replace the battery, refer to the
documentation included with your computer.
from...
Windows Clock on Taskbar and in Date/Time Tool Loses Time
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189706

The time /t command displays the current system time, without prompting
you to enter a new time.

When using time without parameters, press ENTER to keep the same time.
from...
hh ntcmds.chm::/time.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.