Xp Home Edition with 3 CD Rom Drives

Yeeeha

Oct 10, 2005, 9:01:12 AM10/10/05
I'm running Windows Xp- Home Edition with:

2 MASTER hard drives (1 per each primary and secondary controller)

2 SLAVE CD/DVD-WR drives (1 per each primary and secondary controller)

and

1 SCSI CD-R drive (internal
1 SCSI CD-R drive (external)

Question ? How do I change the drive letter designation so that I can group
the (IDE) and (SCSI) seperately to know which drive letter is IDE or SCSI ?

This was once a simple task in other versions of windows but I can't find
out how to do it using Xp Home Edition.

Any Help ?

Thanks

Chelsea

Oct 10, 2005, 9:33:09 AM10/10/05
Go Control Panel -Administrative tools-Computer Management Then select Disk
management-the cd drives will be listed. Right click on each in turn and
select change drive letter and path, then select your desired letter for
each drive. By the way if I understand your setup correctly ie the IDE CD
drives are slaved to your hard drives, then this will have a dramatic
negative effect on your system performance because the hard disks will adopt
the data transfer rates of the slaved CD drives which is nothing like that
of a modern hard disk. You would be better off setting the 2 hard drives in
a master slave config and similarly the two IDE CD drives in master slave
ie the hard disks use one IDE controller and The CD drives the second IDE
controller. Hope that helps

Chelsea

"Yeeeha" <james...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Ron Martell

Oct 10, 2005, 2:48:20 PM10/10/05
"Chelsea" <gall...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> By the way if I understand your setup correctly ie the IDE CD
>drives are slaved to your hard drives, then this will have a dramatic
>negative effect on your system performance because the hard disks will adopt
>the data transfer rates of the slaved CD drives which is nothing like that
>of a modern hard disk. You would be better off setting the 2 hard drives in
>a master slave config and similarly the two IDE CD drives in master slave
>ie the hard disks use one IDE controller and The CD drives the second IDE
>controller. Hope that helps

That problem has not existed for a number of years. It was true when
IDE drives were first introduced in the late 1980s but later
improvements to the design such as the EIDE specifications have
eliminated this as a performance concern.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Yeeeha

Oct 13, 2005, 11:35:36 AM10/13/05
I've tried your suggestion before however my CD Burning software does not
like 2 CD roms on the same contoller, especially when trying to make backup
copies.

I'll give it another shot because I was using Windows ME priviously when I
got the erro message from my CD Burn software. I had CD Creator and Nero and
am not sure which one gave me the problem. I've since added a DVD-RW
dual-layer drive to my configuration and am using NERO 6.0 (and latest
updates).

Thanks for your help, the last thing I want to do is slow this old ASUS P5A
bios 1007A with an AMD K6-3/400Mhz cpu down.

"Chelsea" <gall...@hotmail.com> wrote in message