$#@ xp home restore

Dan LMT

Dec 26, 2007, 10:06:00 AM12/26/07
HELP !!!

I posted yesterday under %$#@ xp home restore - Cliff responded with some
suggestions. The problem is that Windows Explorer will not open. I cannot
open My Computer, or any of the folders that are on my Desktop. When I try,
the Desktop resets itself. This happens with anything I try to open that
might use Windows Explorer.

I have run Panda antivirus, Ad Aware, and SpyBot Search and Destroy - the
only thing found by Panda was some cookies, which I removed. I tried
restoring the system to November 30 - no help. I tried reloading XP from the
CD - it saw that XP was already there and told me everything was OK.

HELP !!!!!

Dan

Mark L. Ferguson

Dec 26, 2007, 10:56:01 AM12/26/07
A standard repair setup does not tell you 'everything is OK' It runs a repair
setup. You have some system that does not have the repair feature. Your
preinstalled system only seems to have a 'restore'
What you are seeing may well be just a damaged account. Try booting to Safe
Mode (F8 on restart, during the 'black screen' part) The default
"Administrator' account may work, and if so, create a new account, and Import
the old account settings.
811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile:
Was this helpful? Then click the "Yes" button below. Voting helps the web
interface. http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPost

Mark L. Ferguson