removing MSM games folder

RB

Jul 17, 2009, 12:49:54 PM7/17/09
Does anyone know how to remove the
C:\Program Files\MSN Gaming Zone\Windows\
folder and files ? If I delete them they come back
like a rootkit or something. I tried setting all the
attributes off but they still come back.
Appreciate any information.

Leonard Grey

Jul 17, 2009, 1:09:51 PM7/17/09
Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

John John - MVP

Jul 17, 2009, 1:26:02 PM7/17/09
Remove the MSN Games in Add/Remove programs then just put a zero byte
file named msn gaming zone (wihtout any extension) in the root of the
Program Files folder and you will then be able to remove the MSN Gaming
Zone folder, if effect replace the folder with a file by the same name.

John

RB

Jul 17, 2009, 3:08:43 PM7/17/09
Thanks, it was a bit confusing at first till I realized I had to click
DETAILS
before I could see that GAMES are part of ACCESSORIES.
Then when I read the headings it said
"To add or remove components, click the box" So thinking in the pattern of
the Add/Remove Programs I thought that meant to only check the ones
you wanted to add or remove so I unchecked some that were already
checked and then checked the GAMES. This ended up doing the
exact opposite of what I wanted and also removed my Outlook Express
email/news reader and everything else except GAMES. So then I reversed
the process and checked the ones I wanted to "Keep and/or Install"
(which would be a more appropriate heading) and I got my components back
and got rid of the games. I did have to give up on some components that I
wanted to try though since during the install I got a message
"Authorscript.DLL
could not be found insert your windows XP Pro cd" which I did but it (nor I
in
a folder search) could not find the DLL file. So I gave up on that one.
Still can not delete the folder of MSN Gaming Zone\Windows\ folders
though gets a message that a process is using them.

"Leonard Grey" <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

RB

Jul 17, 2009, 3:13:27 PM7/17/09
Thanks for the reply. It would appear that Windows wants to keep these
folders very badly. Rather than have a zero byte file I guess I will just
let Windows keep the two empty folders that are left.
Do you have any curiosity satisfying data on exactly what process
monitors these folders so aggressively? And have you ever heard of
them being a problem or issue to other apps, say like RootKit removers?

"John John - MVP" <aude...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

John John - MVP

Jul 17, 2009, 6:56:08 PM7/17/09
It's a protected system folder, if you succeed in deleting it Windows
File Protection will replace it when you reboot the computer. If there
is a file named MSN Gaming Zone in the Program Files folder WFP will be
happy (or thwarted) and it will not create another folder to replace the
deleted one.

Winlogon.exe and Explorer.exe have a handle on the folder so it can't be
deleted in the usual manner, you will have to logon to Safe Mode with
Command Prompt to delete the folder and you will have to place the dummy
replacement file in the Program Files folder before you exit Safe Mode
and reboot. Here is what you can do:

First, go in Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the MSN Gaming Zone then
reboot to Safe-Mode with Command prompt and issue the following
commands, pressing enter after each:

cd program files
rd /s /q "msn gaming zone"
copy con "msn gaming zone"
^Z

Note that ^Z is a control character, to enter it press and hold the Ctrl
key and press Z then release and press <Enter> to finish the job. Don't
forget to use the "quotation marks" as shown above.

Reboot and the folder should be gone for good! Most people don't need
this folder and most users don't want to see it but I think that
Microsoft does some of these things just to annoy everybody!

John