Re: Windows Help and Support

Wesley Vogel

Oct 10, 2005, 10:24:48 AM10/10/05
No one seems to know.

Mine is...
Did you know? Updated: Tuesday, 30 August, 2005

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:491AC0A4-9448-4D40...@microsoft.com,
Lizzie <Liz...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When clicking on help and support (Windows XP Pro), the date associated
> with the "Did You Know Section?" is stuck on August 27 (of this year). I
> have never had never seen this before. Can you please advise as to why
> this is happening.

Lizzie

Oct 10, 2005, 5:48:04 PM10/10/05
It states either the 14th or 27th of August...I just went back and checked,
and now it states Updating "August 14th"....I did a system restore to that
date about 3 weeks ago because some of my music was not playing and I had
goofed my DRM on that date....Now, what is the trick to show the correct
date?....

Wesley Vogel

Oct 10, 2005, 6:17:07 PM10/10/05
What you see is what you get.

I have *NEVER* used System Restore and mine is stuck on

Did you know? Updated: Tuesday, 30 August, 2005

Seems to be a common problem. At least yours is working, otherwise you'd
see this...

[[When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the Internet
now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
connection through an Internet service provider. ]]

...instead of Did you know? Updated: August 14th, 2005

This can happen if
C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml
is missing.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CEC83954-26BE-4673...@microsoft.com,

S. Taylor

Oct 10, 2005, 6:59:40 PM10/10/05
I dont have that file , and i get the "When you are connected....." spiel,
even when connected to the net

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Wesley Vogel

Oct 10, 2005, 8:54:49 PM10/10/05
XP Pro needs NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml
XP Home needs NewsHeadlines_1033_Personal.xml (I think it's Personal.)

If

C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml

or NewsHeadlines_1033_Personal.xml is missing, you see this message whether
you are connected or not...

[[When you are connected to the Internet, this area will display links to
timely help and support information. If you want to connect to the Internet
now, start the New Connection Wizard and see how to establish a Web
connection through an Internet service provider. ]]

Do you have XP Home or XP Pro? If you have XP Pro, I'll attach a copy of
mine. If you have XP Home, you're out of luck, I don't have one.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uxOHK5ez...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
S. Taylor <ravenshaATstis.net> hunted and pecked:

Wesley Vogel

Oct 10, 2005, 9:00:16 PM10/10/05
Did you know? Updated: Tuesday, 30 August, 2005

As near as I can tell, the Updated date seems to be related to the Modified
date of

C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml

(or NewsHeadlines_1033_Personal.xml or NewsHeadlines_1033_Server.xml or
AdvancedServer or DataCenter)
and
C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\newsver.xml

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CEC83954-26BE-4673...@microsoft.com,

David Candy

Oct 10, 2005, 9:01:44 PM10/10/05
It can also happen if changing internet connections.

Wesley Vogel

Oct 10, 2005, 9:14:43 PM10/10/05
How does one fix that?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23XmAe9f...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:

David Candy

Oct 10, 2005, 9:31:06 PM10/10/05
This is the last time I answered it - I forget the answer each time. My Help and Support has just decided to not search the KB anymore.

Type Help & Support in Help & Support. Hit 37 of the knowledge base has this to say (if H&S doesn't work here is a web link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307164&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH).

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if you use the New Connection Wizard to create the broadband connection. The New Connection Wizard does not by default enable proxy automatic detection for broadband connections that require authentication.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, edit the connection settings for the broadband connection to enable automatic detection: 1. Start Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
3. Click the Connections tab.
4. Under Dial-up and VPN Settings, click the broadband connection, click Settings, and then click Automatically detect settings.
5. Click OK.

You may also want to view hit 7
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315955&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

Wesley Vogel

Oct 11, 2005, 11:33:23 AM10/11/05
You have to stick another quarter in the slot.

Thanks, David.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uUYh4Ngz...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

David Candy <.> hunted and pecked:

> This is the last time I answered it - I forget the answer each time. My
> Help and Support has just decided to not search the KB anymore.
>
> Type Help & Support in Help & Support. Hit 37 of the knowledge base has
> this to say (if H&S doesn't work here is a web link

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307164&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH).

> CAUSE
> This behavior can occur if you use the New Connection Wizard to create
> the broadband connection. The New Connection Wizard does not by default
> enable proxy automatic detection for broadband connections that require
> authentication.
> Back to the top
>
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this behavior, edit the connection settings for the broadband
> connection to enable automatic detection: 1. Start Internet Explorer.
> 2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
> 3. Click the Connections tab.
> 4. Under Dial-up and VPN Settings, click the broadband connection,
> click Settings, and then click Automatically detect settings.
> 5. Click OK.
>

> You may also want to view hit 7

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315955&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

S. Taylor

Oct 11, 2005, 4:42:34 PM10/11/05
Sorry, I'm using XP Home SP2.
None of these files are on my machine :
*NewsHeadlines*
*newsver*
*AdvancedServer*
*DataCenter*

fr...@theshire.org

Oct 12, 2005, 2:08:47 PM10/12/05
Lizzie <Liz...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> When clicking on help and support (Windows XP Pro), the date associated with
> the "Did You Know Section?" is stuck on August 27 (of this year). I have
> never had never seen this before. Can you please advise as to why this is
> happening.

Ok, quick summary: This is a common problem, no one is SURE exactly why
it happens, but it does. Don't worry about it! The "headlines" are
boring anyway!

On my system at least, the "problem's" root is that the headline files
that H&S downloads (the NewsHeadlines... and newsver... xml files) come
down across the link just fine (I can "see" them transfering w/ DU Meter,
and the passthru proxy lists the file requests), HOWEVER these files do
NOT end up in the IE cache - something in xp is filtering them out and
discarding them. H&S therefore receives a "file not found" type of error,
and it resorts to using the last fileset that it did receive, hence the
old date being displayed. If there is no previous fileset available (in
\pchealth\helpctr\config\news) then you get the (totally misleading) "when
you are connected to the internet..." error message.

If you manually fetch these files (by pasteing their URL into the address
bar and hitting enter), they come down fine, are in the IE cache, and
display fine in IE. Ask H&S to try again (click Home), and they come down
again, are REMOVED from the cache, and the same thing happens - old files
are used instead. [This smacks of the "Local/My Computer Zone"
restrictions placed on IE about 12 months ago, but I have "opened up" that
zone too, no diff].

I have tweaked all kinds of things, IE options, security settings, removed
the firewall, removed the proxy, etc, and the same thing happens - the
files are downloaded but (for some reason) discarded.

And of course, the damn thing DOES OCCASIONALLY update succesfully w/o any
config changes.

"It's a Mystery!"

S. Taylor

Oct 12, 2005, 4:55:30 PM10/12/05
Sorry that file didn't change the text... except that it did at 1st say
"Updating..." for several seconds 1st.

I just meant i did wildcard searchs on those partial filenames, and came up
empty handed.

> Attached is newsver.zip. It is newsver.xml. Unzip it to
> %windir\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News
>
> This line is not correct...

> C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml

> (or NewsHeadlines_1033_Personal.xml or NewsHeadlines_1033_Server.xml or
> AdvancedServer or DataCenter)
>

> It should've been...

> C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\Config\News\NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml

> (or NewsHeadlines_1033_Personal.xml or NewsHeadlines_1033_Server.xml or

> NewsHeadlines_1033_AdvancedServer.xml or
> NewsHeadlines_1033_DataCenter.xml)
>
> 1033 refers to English.
> Professional is XP Pro.
> Personal is XP Home.
> Server is the Server edition of Windows XP.
> AdvancedServer is the Advanced Server edition of Windows XP.
> DataCenter is the Datacenter Server edition of Windows XP.
>
> And I am not completely sure about any of the files except
> NewsHeadlines_1033_Professional.xml. Only because I have that one and do
> not have access to any other machine or Windows XP versions.
>
> However, newsver.xml seems to be the same for all XP versions.
> These are listed in the newsver.xml file.
> SKU VERSION="Professional"
> SKU VERSION="Server"
> SKU VERSION="AdvancedServer"
> SKU VERSION="SmallBusinessServer"
> SKU VERSION="WinSBSmallBusinessServer"
> SKU VERSION="Personal"

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>

> In news:uDsyKRq...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,

Wesley Vogel

Oct 12, 2005, 10:53:09 PM10/12/05
Open up and look at the *.query files in
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_32#0409
or
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Personal_32#0409
or
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\AdvancedServer_32#0409
or
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Server_32#0409
or
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\DataCenter_32#0409
or
%systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_64#0409
etc.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11kqk9f...@corp.supernews.com,
fr...@theshire.org <fr...@theshire.org> hunted and pecked:

fr...@theshire.org

Oct 13, 2005, 12:31:41 PM10/13/05
Wesley Vogel <123WVo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Open up and look at the *.query files in
> %systemroot%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_32#0409

Had lots of files from 2 months ago, I looked them over and didn't see
anything that raised a red flag. Deleted them and nothing new gets
created.

Wesley Vogel

Oct 13, 2005, 9:20:41 PM10/13/05
What I meant was that the .query files contain things like...

W i n d o w s X P , t h e c o m p o n e n t s i n c l u d e d ,
an d a c t i v a t i o n a n d l i c e n s e i n f o r m a t i o n .
M u s i c , v i d e o , g a m e s , a n d p h o t o s
G e t h e l p w o r k i n g w i t h y o u r m u l t i m e d i a
f i l e s a n d g a m e s .

The extra spaces between letters is MS's deal not mine.

I have a batch file that deletes the contents of
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache\Professional_32#0409

New query files get recreated every time that I open Help and Support.

Do you have a Dell, HP or Gateway machine?

With some Gateway machines, Help and Support is somehow linked to Gateway's
HelpSpot program.

A friend has a Gateway and he had over 500 .query files. He deleted them
and they did not get recreated. I figured it had to do with Gateway's
HelpSpot. He restored them from the Recycle Bin, just in case.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11kt2vd...@corp.supernews.com,

fr...@theshire.org

Oct 14, 2005, 11:46:42 AM10/14/05
Yes, saw .query files like you said, but they do not come back
consistantly. none came up today at all. last set was dated several
months ago.

FWIW, my gf's machine updated her Did You Know just yesterday; mine won't
update today, still stuck back at Aug 30th.

It's still a msytery...

Wesley Vogel

Oct 14, 2005, 1:31:21 PM10/14/05
Mine is still stuck on ... Updated: Tuesday, 30 August, 2005. I just
checked. Oh well.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11kvkn2...@corp.supernews.com,

Lizzie

Oct 14, 2005, 11:36:03 PM10/14/05
Hey guys, very simple, always skip the obvious....I updated my time frame by
nist.gov and did nothing. Today, I updated by windows time, and "Voila",
everytime I click Help and Support, the date is correct....Curiosity killed
the cat. I think not....Thanks to you all....Debbie

Wesley Vogel

Oct 15, 2005, 12:12:44 PM10/15/05
Debbie,

Glad that your Help and Support Did you know? updated.

I believed that synchronizing the time on your computer clock was
coincidental. But I tried it anyway and...

Did you know? Updated: Saturday, 15 October, 2005

Son of a gun!

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I normally have the Windows
Time service disabled and only start it once in a while when I synchronize
my clock manually.

If this is true, then if one has the Windows Time service set to Automatic
and Windows sets synchronization to occur weekly, then Did you know? should
be updated at least weekly. And if one were to synchronize their clocks
more often then Did you know? should update more often.

I should have looked before I synchronized my clock this time to see when
the last time it had been synchronized was. I suspect that Tuesday, 30
August, 2005 was when that happened since that's what Did you know? was
stuck on.

Anyone else want to test this?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:97DE766E-758A-4B80...@microsoft.com,

Lizzie <Liz...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

fr...@theshire.org

Oct 15, 2005, 1:08:29 PM10/15/05
Well, poster "Alias" in another group suggested opening IE before opening
H&S, saying it would then update ok. I tried it, and BINGO, it did update
today, Sat 15 Oct.

Now, it is possible it was just a coincidence, maybe something is just
"good" at the server end today, but it did update for me using this
method. I'll try again in the next several days and see if it's a real
solution or not. Very interesting....

Wesley Vogel

Oct 15, 2005, 4:44:21 PM10/15/05
I saw that post by Alias after I had already synchronized my clock.

You may be correct, a coincidence may be possible and MS's server may be
just working good today.

Or maybe the clock in MS's server only gets synchronized every couple of
months. LOL

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11l2dsd...@corp.supernews.com,

Wesley Vogel

Oct 16, 2005, 1:36:53 PM10/16/05
I wish you well, Debbie. Good luck! ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:57D9B363-77D0-44AF...@microsoft.com,

Lizzie <Liz...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

> Thanks to everyone for the followups. I was only delaying something much
> worse. I have a virus that corrupted my registry. Stole all my good icons
> and my windows installed does not work. Yes, I tried every post, I tried
> Doug Knox and Kelly's tips (you know she is from Louisiana also).
> Therefore I have just finished backing up anything of importance to
> DVD's....Wish me well...Debbie

fr...@theshire.org

Oct 17, 2005, 2:47:35 PM10/17/05

Following up: today, monday, launched H&S WITHOUT first opening IE, and
it updated fine. So, no definative conclusions yet...

I guess the real questions is WHY would synching the time make it work, or
WHY would opening IE first make it work? What in XP is deciding to filter
the xml files if the time is "off"? Or what dll gets loaded by IE that
suddenly makes it work? The mechanism MUST be there. [I've been writting
software since..., well a long time, and there is always a mechanism -
there are no ghosts in the machine, just bugs.]