Defragmenter not installed Error

Robbert82

Dec 8, 2008, 7:02:10 AM12/8/08
Hello,

When I try to use Defragmenter softwer on my C drive i receive this Error ;
"The disc Defragmenter is not installed on your computer" I tried to modify
data value for

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \
explorer \ MyComputer \ DefragPath to C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.exe

also i tried to install dfrg.inf from C:\Windows\Inf

but it did not help. I really dont know what to do about this. Can you
please help me with this issue ?

--
Rob.

Gerry

Dec 8, 2008, 8:02:23 AM12/8/08
http://snipurl.com/7ngfa [windowsitpro_com]

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 8, 2008, 9:12:27 AM12/8/08
The Defrag path/command in Windows XP is:

C:\Windows\system32\dfrg.msc %c:

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 8, 2008, 2:06:05 PM12/8/08
I checked the C:\Windows\system32\dfrg.msc %c: path as well.... it does not
work

--
Rob.

Robbert82

Dec 8, 2008, 2:08:01 PM12/8/08
I checked the links Gerry. they just repeat the steps that I already taken.

--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 8, 2008, 2:18:32 PM12/8/08
Set the (default) value correctly in the registry?

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 8, 2008, 3:21:01 PM12/8/08
I put this value in the registry as you said . C:\Windows\system32\dfrg.msc %c:
but when i reopen the registry to check it it shows like this
%systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc %c:

I dont know if this is right or not....

--
Rob.

Robbert82

Dec 8, 2008, 3:39:02 PM12/8/08

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 8, 2008, 10:37:11 PM12/8/08
It's correct. Does Defrag work?

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 9, 2008, 3:50:00 AM12/9/08

No it doesn't work..!!
--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Robbert82

Dec 9, 2008, 10:07:16 AM12/9/08
Sorry but could you tell me how to export it here on this page ?
--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 9, 2008, 11:40:19 AM12/9/08

Navigate to the key in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe). From the File menu,
choose Export.

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 9, 2008, 12:07:01 PM12/9/08
I exported it as a text file and then put it here is this what you meant ?

Key Name:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\DefragPath
Class Name: <NO CLASS>
Last Write Time: 08-Dec-08 - 10:28 PM
Value 0
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc %c:

--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 10, 2008, 12:39:06 AM12/10/08
Verify if the "%systemroot%" resolves correctly. To do so, click Start/Run.
Type "%systemroot%" and press ENTER. Does it open the C:\Windows folder?

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 10, 2008, 6:37:13 AM12/10/08
Yes it opens the windows folder.
--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 10, 2008, 7:56:28 AM12/10/08
Click Start, Run and type DFRG.MSC. Press {ENTER}

If that doesn't work, then run:

%systemroot%\system32\DFRG.MSC

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 10, 2008, 2:31:02 PM12/10/08
I tried both both of them.

I can't use any of them. when I try to run them an error box appears "Access
is Denied".

--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 11, 2008, 12:45:14 AM12/11/08
Try:

mmc.exe %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Robbert82

Dec 17, 2008, 11:41:01 PM12/17/08
Hello... sorry for the delay!

Yes ! mmc.exe %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc works!

Now is there a way to fix this error and use the defragmenter in its usual
way ?

Regards,

--
Rob.

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Dec 18, 2008, 2:02:10 AM12/18/08
It appears that the MSC file type association is broken. You can fix it by
applying the .MSC association REG file from Doug's site:

File association fixes:

Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog

"Robbert82" <Robb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Monotosh

Jul 6, 2009, 9:01:48 AM7/6/09

I'm also experiencing the same issue with my laptop. I've tried
everything (whatever is mentioned in this post), but nothing works.

Additionally, when I try accessing the dile dfrg.msc, from Run prompt,
by typing, '%systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc %c', I get an Error Message,
"Access Denied"

When I explore, C:\Windows\Windows32\, I don't see dfrg.msc file
there.

Please help..

--
Monotosh
Monotosh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111957.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Shenan Stanley

Jul 6, 2009, 2:25:43 PM7/6/09

Monotosh wrote:
> I'm also experiencing the same issue with my laptop. I've tried
> everything (whatever is mentioned in this post), but nothing works.
>
> Additionally, when I try accessing the dile dfrg.msc, from Run
> prompt, by typing, '%systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc %c', I get an
> Error Message, "Access Denied"
>
> When I explore, C:\Windows\Windows32\, I don't see dfrg.msc file
> there.
>
> Please help..

Another web forum synchronization which makes it difficult for those using
the actual newsgroups see (without clicking on other things/searching) what
the responder is posting about.

In general - it would be better for them topost their own unique issues
instead of 'me too' posts.

The post being referred to is archived in its entirety here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_frm/thread/b4d5ecbe1390c1b4

It started in December 2008.

Whether or not the TechArena version of the post contains the same 22
messages found in the actual conversation is unknown.

This will take a bit of time and effort - but you will be better off for it
even if it does not completel fix your issue immediately.

If I had to guess - infestation/infection has run wild on the system in
question.

Clean that up completely first:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Reboot and ...

Search your registry for %fystem and replace the "f" with an "s". May be
three or four matches, may be none. You may even have to take ownership
(even after doing the above) of the keys in order to make the change.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en

Reboot.

and...

... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

and..

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

You may want to run a second scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
after everything is updated.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Monotosh

Jul 7, 2009, 4:07:13 AM7/7/09

Thanks a ton!!

It worked only after the removal of the spyware.

Cheers :)

Shenan Stanley

Jul 7, 2009, 7:37:26 AM7/7/09

Monotosh wrote:
> Thanks a ton!!
>
> It worked only after the removal of the spyware.
>
> Cheers :)

I would suggest finishing the steps. Much like just taking antibiotics just
until you feel better - not wise.