XP OEM to XP Home SP3

peter

Nov 29, 2008, 8:01:24 PM11/29/08
I have an XP OEM installation with SP2 that has problems with updating to
SP3.
I have tried almost every "fix" and still returns the unable to write
message.
I also have an unused XP home upgrade edition that I slipstreamed SP3 into
and burned as a bootable ISO.
Can I use this copy to "repair" the OEM version but use the OEM serial
number??? Or would I need to use the Home
serial number....and if that is the case can I then Install the OEM version
onto another system that I am aiming to build??

pk

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Shenan Stanley

Nov 29, 2008, 8:15:11 PM11/29/08
peter wrote:
> I have an XP OEM installation with SP2 that has problems with
> updating to SP3.
> I have tried almost every "fix" and still returns the unable to
> write message.
> I also have an unused XP home upgrade edition that I slipstreamed
> SP3 into and burned as a bootable ISO.
> Can I use this copy to "repair" the OEM version but use the OEM
> serial number??? Or would I need to use the Home
> serial number....and if that is the case can I then Install the OEM
> version onto another system that I am aiming to build??

Home and OEM are not mutually exclusive versions of Windows XP.

Do you mean you have:
- Windows XP Home OEM and Windows XP Home Retail?
- Windows XP Home OEM and Windows XP Professional Retail?
- Windows XP Professional OEM and Windows XP Home Retail?

One of the many other possible combinations?

Essentially - you can make a retail/MSDN/OEM Windows XP (insert version
here) into another type (retail/MSDN/OEM) if you change a single file and
burn a new copy with that changed file.

The OEM version is (in accordance with the OEM licensing agreement)
permanently tied to the fate of the original computer it was installed and
activated upon. If that machine burns - you might as well burn the
CD/License number.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

peter

Nov 30, 2008, 10:29:19 AM11/30/08
I guess I was not to clear
this is what I have Windows XP Home OEM and Windows XP Home RetailUpgrade ?
I purchased both Retail...I build my own systems.

"Shenan Stanley" <newsh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Daave

Nov 30, 2008, 12:20:11 PM11/30/08
"peter" <pe...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>I have an XP OEM installation with SP2 that has problems with updating
>to SP3.
> I have tried almost every "fix" and still returns the unable to write
> message.
> I also have an unused XP home upgrade edition that I slipstreamed SP3
> into and burned as a bootable ISO.
> Can I use this copy to "repair" the OEM version but use the OEM serial
> number??? Or would I need to use the Home
> serial number....and if that is the case can I then Install the OEM
> version onto another system that I am aiming to build??

Unless you plan on using the Recovery Console only, then, no, you can't
mix and match -- at least with the particular slipstreamed disk you
described. There is a method to create yet another CD from that one
(Shenan touched upon that). However, we need to address the issue that
you can't seem to use the proper disk that you already have.

So, please give us more information:

1. Do you believe the OEM installation disk is defective in some way?

2. What is the make and model of your PC? We need to determine if this
is a branded or generic OEM installation/CD.

3. What makes you think you even need to use an installation disk to
address the issue of upgrading to SP3? The inability to upgrade to SP3
is a common problem, and it is easily solved -- almost always *without*
the installation CD.

4. Assuming you *do* need the CD, what is it you need to do -- use the
Recovery Console or perform a Repair Install? Or do you just want to use
an XP installation disk with SP3 as an experiment to see if that method
will work with regard to upgrading to SP3?

5. What *specifically* is your problem? Give details:

What is the exact problem?
What specifically have you done to address it?
What consequences resulted? Give the complete text of any error
messages.

peter

Nov 30, 2008, 6:40:13 PM11/30/08
Answers in line...........and thanks

"Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message

> Unless you plan on using the Recovery Console only, then, no, you can't
> mix and match -- at least with the particular slipstreamed disk you
> described. There is a method to create yet another CD from that one
> (Shenan touched upon that). However, we need to address the issue that you
> can't seem to use the proper disk that you already have.
>
> So, please give us more information:
>
> 1. Do you believe the OEM installation disk is defective in some way?

> original CD is not defective

> 2. What is the make and model of your PC? We need to determine if this is
> a branded or generic OEM installation/CD.

> ...>> The XP OEM CD was purchased by me when I build this system from
> scratch last June

> 3. What makes you think you even need to use an installation disk to
> address the issue of upgrading to SP3? The inability to upgrade to SP3 is
> a common problem, and it is easily solved -- almost always *without* the
> installation CD.

nor using the XP update site...I get the same error
message about not
being able to write to the registry, I tried the online
fixes( reset registry)
I had the same problem with another computer which ran XP
Home and using the
slipstreamed XP Upgrade Home Retail version did a repair
install and it worked.
I have since then sold that system without XP...so I still
own the license.

> 4. Assuming you *do* need the CD, what is it you need to do -- use the
> Recovery Console or perform a Repair Install? Or do you just want to use
> an XP installation disk with SP3 as an experiment to see if that method
> will work with regard to upgrading to SP3?

does not seem to do it..no error messages .It
installs/repairs/overwrites the present
installation but then gives me SP3 as an update option on the
XP update site.
So I thought I would try the Slipstreamed XP Home Upgrade
edition...but use the OEM activation number.
Did not want to really use the Home activation number as I aim to
build another system

peter

Nov 30, 2008, 6:43:47 PM11/30/08

">
> Essentially - you can make a retail/MSDN/OEM Windows XP (insert version
> here) into another type (retail/MSDN/OEM) if you change a single file and
> burn a new copy with that changed file.

Please explain this in more detail
By slipstreaming SP3 into my retail version of XP OEM Home I created another
version???

peter

Shenan Stanley

Nov 30, 2008, 6:55:04 PM11/30/08
<snipped>
Entire conversation:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_frm/thread/8d04d342e7137b6e/49bce4f72062aa70#49bce4f72062aa70

peter wrote:
> Please explain this in more detail
> By slipstreaming SP3 into my retail version of XP OEM Home I
> created another version???

No - you have created an installation media of Windows XP that when used
will have already installed the versions of the files normally updated by
SP3 natively. If it was a Windows XP Home Edition CD (Retail Upgrade) - it
is still a Windows XP Home Edition CD (Retail Upgrade) - it just installs at
the level of SP3 instead of whatever it was before you integrated SP3 into
it. (etc.)

The changing of the installation media from accepting only OEM keys to
accepting Retail keys, etc - that's a completely different procedure. I can
direct you as far as to say you should Google for "setupp.ini" <-- yes, that
is two p's. (Also heed any warnings you might see.)

An OEM license is an OEM license no matter how you got it. In strict
accordance with the EULA (End User License Agreement) it is tied to the
first machine it is installed/activated upon - no matter what - and cannot
be moved to another machine. That is not a technical limitation.

The setupp.ini determines the type of product key that will be accepted
during installation.

What I would try, in your case, is to repair the installation in whatever
way you can (using whatever CD you have to/whatever product key you have to)
and then procede to change the product key of the machine back to what it
SHOULD be.

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for
users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key
to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a
reinstall!
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Daave

Nov 30, 2008, 9:29:09 PM11/30/08
> Answers in line...........and thanks

YW. Although inline posting is most preferred, your formatting is all
over the place! That makes your post *very* difficult to read. I will
try to fix the formatting.

> "Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>> Unless you plan on using the Recovery Console only, then, no, you
>> can't mix and match -- at least with the particular slipstreamed disk
>> you described. There is a method to create yet another CD from that
>> one (Shenan touched upon that). However, we need to address the issue
>> that you can't seem to use the proper disk that you already have.
>>
>> So, please give us more information:
>>
>> 1. Do you believe the OEM installation disk is defective in some way?

> I have since created a new slipstreamed XP OEM SP3.......the original

> CD is not defective.

According to your description, you did not create a slipsteamed XP OEM
SP3. Instead you have created a slipstreamed Retail Upgrade SP3 CD.
There's a difference! A Product Key associated with an OEM version of
Windows XP will not work with a non-OEM (in your cae, a Retail Upgrade)
version of Windows XP.

Shenan told you that it's possible to create an OEM installation disk
from the Retail Upgrade installation disk. Here is a guide:

http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

Then again, if there's nothing wrong with your original OEM installation
disk (you said it's not defective), then it would be a lot easier just
to use that one! You could always slipstream SP3 onto that disk, then
you'll be golden. My suggestion to you is SIMPLIFY. Although it may be
possible to alter your Retail Upgrade disk, I personally wouldn't waste
my time with it. Just use the original disk! (Or slipstream SP3 onto it
and use the correct slipstreamed disk.)

>> 2. What is the make and model of your PC? We need to determine if
>> this is a branded or generic OEM installation/CD.

> The XP OEM CD was purchased by me when I build this system from
> scratch last June.

Generic OEM. Check. Use the OEM installation CD! :-)

>> 3. What makes you think you even need to use an installation disk to
>> address the issue of upgrading to SP3? The inability to upgrade to
>> SP3 is a common problem, and it is easily solved -- almost always
>> *without* the installation CD.

> I cannot seem to upgrade to SP3 with the downloaded SP3
> installation file nor using the XP update site...I get the same error
> message about not being able to write to the registry, I tried the

> online fixes (reset registry).

Bingo.

You're doing it wrong, that's all. You need to use the best practices
method mentioned on these pages:

http://www.iaps.com/windows-xp-sp3-installation-guidelines.html

http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

I wouldn't install SP3 until you are positive your PC is in good shape.
That means it needs to be free of malware. It's usually best to use the
SP3 installation package or CD (that is, *not* Automatic Updates) while
you are offline with a clean boot configuration:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

You mentioned using the SP3 installation file. That should work just
fine. An alternative is to download the .iso file and burn a CD and use
it for the upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en

Note that there is no reason whatsoever to use an XP installation CD!

> I had the same problem with another computer which ran XP Home and
> using the slipstreamed XP Upgrade Home Retail version
> did a repair install and it worked.

I suppose a repair install could work as long as the type of XP on the
CD matches the type of XP on your PC. (Currently that's not the case for
you; you were using the wrong disk.) But the best practices method I
mentioned above is the preferred way.

>> 4. Assuming you *do* need the CD, what is it you need to do -- use
>> the Recovery Console or perform a Repair Install? Or do you just want
>> to use an XP installation disk with SP3 as an experiment to see if
>> that method will work with regard to upgrading to SP3?

> I want to make my XP OEM installation into SP3...and somehow the
> OEM SP3 slipstreamed CD does not seem to do it..no error messages.

It doesn't seem to do *what*? Can you please post a link to the
slipstreaming instructions you used?

> It installs/repairs/overwrites the present installation but then gives
> me SP3
> as an update option on the XP update site.

Without seeing it, it's hard to tell what's going on. Then again, in my
opinion, you are upgrading to SP3 in a more difficult way than
necessary. Just use the method I mentioned above.

> So I thought I would try the Slipstreamed XP Home Upgrade
> edition...but use the OEM activation number.

You can't use an OEM product key with a Retail Upgrade disk. You need to
use an OEM disk.

I hope all the above is clear!

peter

Nov 30, 2008, 10:33:13 PM11/30/08
Thanks Daave

I will follow up each link provided and arm myself with more knowledge.
Just to clarify one point..
I used autostreamer and slipstreamed SP3 into XP OEM Home edition..
This created and .ISO file which I then burned to a CD using Nero.
I booted with the ISO CD and used the repair option which should have
Overwritten
my OEM SP2 installation with the OEM SP3 ....but apparently it did not
because I still get the option
to download SP3 from the XP update site.
I will not endeavor the setupp.ini way.without looking at all of the other
options first

peter

"Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message

Daave

Dec 1, 2008, 12:14:12 AM12/1/08

> I will follow up each link provided and arm myself with more
> knowledge.
> Just to clarify one point..
> I used autostreamer and slipstreamed SP3 into XP OEM Home edition..
> This created and .ISO file which I then burned to a CD using Nero.
> I booted with the ISO CD and used the repair option which should have
> Overwritten
> my OEM SP2 installation with the OEM SP3 ....but apparently it did not
> because I still get the option
> to download SP3 from the XP update site.

I've never done a repair install to another Service Pack level, so I
can't offer any tips on that. It sounds like you probably did the
slipstream correctly, but I cannot know for sure. Assuming your CD is
perfect and a repair install to a higher Service Pack level is doable,
perhaps all you need to do is follow the Best Practices method to apply
SP3, making sure certain programs (that could ineterfere) aren't
running. I like to configure a Clean Boot. I believe others have had
success with the SP3 upgrade in Safe Mode, but I can't personally vouch
for it.

Once again, since you do not need to use an installation disk for this
project, I wouldn't even worry about it. I always have success using the
method I previously outlined. Personally, I like to use the SP3 CD. If
you download the .iso file, you can use Nero to burn the image to a CD.

There may come a time when you will need a Windows (OEM) XP w/ SP3
installation disk, so I would eventually double-check to see if yours
was done right. Or you can try the slipstream again, using either the
manual method or perhaps nLite.

> I will not endeavor the setupp.ini way.without looking at all of the
> other options first

I wouldn't do that at all. It's not necessary. I suppose if you have
time to kill and are curious to try it out as an exercise, there may be
some value to it, but it's not something I would do. :-) I just
mentioned it earlier to help clear up all the issues. Good luck and let
us know how you do.

smlunatick

Dec 1, 2008, 3:21:39 PM12/1/08
On Nov 30, 3:29 pm, "peter" <pe...@nowhere.net> wrote:
> I guess I was not to clear
> this is what I have  Windows XP Home OEM and Windows XP Home RetailUpgrade ?
> I purchased both Retail...I build my own systems.
>
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Peter,

Home Upgrade will not accept the OEM key.

peter

Dec 1, 2008, 8:15:07 PM12/1/08
I wish to thank Daave and Shenan for all the help.
I downloaded the SP3 Iso file and burned it to a CD
Computer would not boot from it even though it was set to boot from CD 1st
guess it was not really a bootable ISO..
anyways I turned off all Antivirus/Firewall program/anti spam/malware/adware
program
as well as all items relating to Acronis (I was taking no chances)
and started the install from the SP3 ISO on the CD and it worked...no
problems.
Have rebooted twice...and and all works fine.
thanks again
peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Daave" <dcwash...@myrealboxXYZ.invalid> wrote in message

Daave

Dec 1, 2008, 8:37:44 PM12/1/08

>I wish to thank Daave and Shenan for all the help.
> I downloaded the SP3 Iso file and burned it to a CD
> Computer would not boot from it even though it was set to boot from CD
> 1st
> guess it was not really a bootable ISO..
> anyways I turned off all Antivirus/Firewall program/anti
> spam/malware/adware program
> as well as all items relating to Acronis (I was taking no chances)
> and started the install from the SP3 ISO on the CD and it worked...no
> problems.
> Have rebooted twice...and and all works fine.
> thanks again
> peter

Wonderful news! You're welcome and thanks for posting back. (And you are
correct, it's not a bootable CD.)