MS Firewall controls disabled by group policy

Andrew

Oct 1, 2005, 12:31:52 PM10/1/05
I`m trying in vain to fix a friends PC. (XP home, SP1) He had been running
> without any antivirus software and no suprise, the machine was in a mess.
> cleaned it with Avast AV, Adaware and Spybot and scanned it with
> HiJackThis
> (clean).
> After installing SP2 the Windows firewall cannot be enabled and the
> controls
> are greyed out. (I don`t know the state of the firewall before installing
> SP2) There is a message stating "For security, some settings are
> controlled
> by group policy".
> As there is no Group Policy editor in XP HOME, does anyone know how to
> re-enable the controls?
>
> Thanks in advance, Andy.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Oct 1, 2005, 1:44:29 PM10/1/05
When you open (or 'run') firewall.cpl, does it read as "For your security,
some settings are controlled by Group Policy" at the top of the applet? If
that's the case, try this:

For Windows XP Home Edition:
---------------------------------

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfil­e
(and)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProf­ile

In the right-pane, delete the "EnableFirewall" value.

Close Regedit.exe and restart Windows.

For Windows XP Professional:
-------------------------------

From Start/Run, type Gpedit.msc and navigate to:

Computer Configuration
=> Administrative Templates
=> System
=> Network
=> Network Connections
=> Windows Firewall
=> Standard Profile

Set the following options to "Not Configured" (defaults)

Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections
Windows Firewall: Do not allow exceptions
Windows Firewall: Define program exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow local program exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow remote administration exception
Windows Firewall: Allow file and printer sharing exception
Windows Firewall: Allow ICMP exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow Remote Desktop exception
Windows Firewall: Allow UPnP framework exception
Windows Firewall: Prohibit notifications
Windows Firewall: Allow logging
Windows Firewall: Prohibit unicast response to multicast or broadcast
requests
Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions
Windows Firewall: Allow local port exceptions

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Andrew" <postm...@andrewfernie.f9.co.uk> wrote in message

Andrew

Oct 1, 2005, 4:34:57 PM10/1/05
Thanks. It is an XP Home machine and it does say "For your security, some
settings are controlled by Group Policy" at the top of the applet. I`m not
at the broken machine at the moment but my perfectly working laptop with XP
Home does not have the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall in its
registry so I can`t even test this before I go. Any more Ideas?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ram...@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message

> When you open (or 'run') firewall.cpl, does it read as "For your security,
> some settings are controlled by Group Policy" at the top of the applet? If
> that's the case, try this:
>
> For Windows XP Home Edition:
>
> Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>

> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfil苟
> (and)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProf虹le

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Oct 2, 2005, 12:47:02 AM10/2/05
>> working laptop with XP Home does not have the key

Yes, that's the reason your laptop does not have the problem.