Move Item Command

Brian

Aug 8, 2004, 10:33:01 PM8/8/04
Is there anyway to access the "move item" command from the desktop? What I
want to do is move items from the desktop without having to go into Explorer
to move them. I could add locations to the "send to" command but then the
item is only copied and not moved. Is that "Move Item" a little program that
I could add a shortcut to on the desktop?

--
Brian
UTC -0500

JAX

Aug 8, 2004, 11:17:33 PM8/8/04
Hi Brian,

You can add a copy to/move to command to the R-click menu by following the
following instructions.

Start the Registry Editor

Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ AllFilesystemObjects \ shellex \
ContextMenuHandlers \

Right-click the ContextMenuHandlers entry, and from the menu select New >
Key

Name the new key Copy To

Repeat step 3, but this time for the name (step 4) choose Move To

Change the (Default) string value found in the Copy To key to
{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

Change the (Default) string value found in the Move To key to
{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

Close the registry editor

Thanks to an unknown author. It works well.

HTH, JAX

"Brian" <nospam....@msn.com> wrote in message

Ramesh [MVP]

Aug 9, 2004, 1:33:09 AM8/9/04
JAX has the answer. But, you may experience a side-effect after adding the Move To or Copy To to the context menu.

What goes wrong when you add "Copy To" to the context menu:
http://weblogs.asp.net/oldnewthing/archive/2004/02/02/66160.aspx

Problem caused by adding Copy To and Move To as context menu entries:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/movetocontext.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

Brian

Aug 9, 2004, 2:31:40 AM8/9/04
Hmmm, looks like it has some side effects :( .

--
Brian
UTC -0500

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ram...@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message

JAX

Aug 9, 2004, 8:21:47 PM8/9/04
Hi Ramesh,

I don't use Outlook(not OE), so I could not possibly be aware of a problem
related to it. I have the copy/move to additions on my machine and have
found no conflict. At worst, I may have to cancel on the dialog box twice,
if I don't want to do either, after I have clicked one or the other. If that
makes sense.

It has been a very useful addition for me, in respect to the way I handle
downloaded files, as well as arranging files on my system. I read the
information on the two links you offered and noticed that one of them just
linked you back to the other. If I find a need to use Outlook, I may have to
change my evaluation of the additions.

Cheers, JAX

David Candy

Aug 9, 2004, 8:34:48 PM8/9/04
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp
Install the Windows 95 Send To Power Toys. After installing go to Add/Remove programs in Control Panel and select Send To Extension Power Toys, click Add/Remove and clear the checkboxes for the three mail extensions. Type the following line in Start - Run.

regsvr32 sendmail
This fixes the one problem that installing Win95 Power Toys Send To causes. It still worthwhile installing then fixing for the added functionally of Send To Powertoys. Win98 Send To Desktop As Shortcut and Powertoys Send to Mail can't co-exist, but Win 98 includes it's own Send To Mail.

Key Description
File System Objects
Control Copies a file
Shift Moves a file
Control and Shift Creates a shortcut
Send To Powertoys (except Send To Clipboard as Contents)
Control Uses the short file name rather than the long file name
Send To Clipboard as Contents Powertoys
Control Displays a dialog box to select the clipboard data formats

General Send To Tips
a.. To create sub menus on the Send To menu type Sendto in the Start - Run dialog box. Click a blank spot and choose New then Folder. Rename the folder to the name you want on the Send To menu. Drag your shortcuts you want on the menu into this folder.
b.. Put a shortcut to Sendto folder into the Sendto folder. Then when you want to add a program or folder to the Send To menu right click it, choose Send To then while holding Ctrl + Shift click Sendto.
c.. To get a list of files you can use the first tip on this page or install the Win 95 Sendto Powertoys (described elsewhere on this page) and send the selected files to the Clipboard As Name powertoy.
d.. To put the URL of a favourite on the clipboard rather than it's name use Clipboard As Content.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

Ramesh [MVP]

Aug 10, 2004, 1:06:04 AM8/10/04
Hi JAX,

Outlook was just given as an example there. Hope David's reply will help you!

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

JAX

Aug 10, 2004, 8:11:07 PM8/10/04
Hi Ramesh,

Thanks for your interest, but I don't have a problem with the copy/move to
instructions I offered to the OP. Where, other than Outlook, would a person
have a problem with that? This is not from a "Power Toy".

JAX

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ram...@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message

Ramesh [MVP]

Aug 11, 2004, 1:55:47 AM8/11/04
JAX,

>>Where, other than Outlook, would a person have a problem with that?

Pls observe this scenario, that's why I pasted my site URL before:

"When I select two or more files in Windows Explorer to open in Notepad or any other program, for every selected file - before opening it in the proper application - I first get a dialog asking me where to move the item. Canceling this dialog brings up the next asking where to copy the file. Canceling this dialog leads to opening of the file and bringing up the next files "move-dialog"!
Pretty irritating! "

Infact, I've experienced it before :)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP