Creating Desktop.ini files

mik311y

Feb 24, 2006, 8:34:48 PM2/24/06
I am on Windows Media center and I am trying to create a desktop.ini
file for a new folder. I know exactly what I want in it.......

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=127

While logged in as an admin I am creating this file in note pad and
doing a save as Desktop.ini with all file types selected. I then go to
dos and "attrib +h +s desktop.ini". I then refresh the desktop and log
off and but for some reason the icon will never change. I even tried
copying a windows created desktop.ini file into the folder and it still
does not work. What am I over looking or not doing when I am creating
this file? Any help would be great

Wesley Vogel

Feb 24, 2006, 9:22:49 PM2/24/06
Why not just customize the folder with icon you want and let Windows create
the desktop.ini?

127 is the icon that looks like the icon that My Pictures folder uses.

Create a new folder
Right click the new folder
Click Properties
Click the Customize tab
Click the Change Icon button
Move the slider to the right about half way
The icon that you want is in the bottom row, to the left of a RED X
Double click the icon that you want
Click Apply
Click OK
Open your folder, open the desktop.ini that Windows has now created (or
fixed).

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1140831288.7...@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com,
mik311y <mik...@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

mik311y

Feb 24, 2006, 10:34:42 PM2/24/06
First of all let me say sorry about not crossposting. I did not realize
it was possible to hit multiple groups with one post. I see your point,
now I cannot reply to the post on mutiple group. Or can I? I was not
aware that all of these sites actually pointed at microsoft web site.
It is ambiguous using google group, unless you know how the group names
work.
I am just new to the news group thing. sorry again.

Well the reason I am using a .ini file is that I moved my shared
documents folder to another drive. I am trying to recreate the
desktop.ini folder for it and the other shared folders in that
directory to give it the same look and feel. Since this is a shell
folder I am under the impression and it seems to true that your method
does not work. It seems though my problem lies in creating or with the
the attributes of the desktop.ini file because I cannot even create a
dummy folder on the desktop and change the icon using the desktop.ini
method. I read the following article about desktop.ini

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/custom.asp

I know what the code should be for the desktop.ini file I want but
maybe I have a syntax error or something.so if you have any other
suggestions that would be great.

Wesley Vogel

Feb 24, 2006, 11:26:25 PM2/24/06
No need to apologies, I didn't catch the googlegroups.com in the header.
And now you know.

Ramesh posted an answer in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Here is Ramesh's answer...

<quote>

Use:

Attrib +r "Folder name"

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

<end quote>

And Kieth Miller posted an answer in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize

You mean that since it is a shell folder it has *NO* customize tab?

TweakUI has these functions...

Repair font folder
Restores the functionality of the Font folder. Repair the font folder when
you find that the Font folder has begun acting like a normal folder.

Repair My Music icon
Restores the custom icon to the My Music folder.

Repair My Pictures icon
Restores the custom icon to the My Pictures folder.

Repair My Videos icon
Restores the custom icon to the My Videos folder.

1. Open TweakUI.
2. Click on Repair, bottom item on the left.
3. On the right hand side, click on the V to expand the menu.
4. Click on Repair My Videos icon.
5. Click the Repair Now button.

Download TweakUI here...

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not
exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including
mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or above or Windows
Server 2003.

Scroll down the right hand side and look for...
Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe

TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe is what you get.

If you have Windows XP without any Service Packs, download Version 2.00.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
-----

Some good info here...

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

TweakUI for Windows XP - Tips
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/twktips.htm

TweakUI PowerTips
http://weblogs.asp.net/jkey/archive/2003/08/01/22303.aspx

TweakUI Registry Settings here...

Microsoft® Windows® XP Registry Guide
Chapter 5: Mapping Tweak UI
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp

All of Ch 5 is included!!
-----

You can also add TweakUI to the Control Panel with
xp_AddTweakUItoControlPanel.vbs from
here...
1. Add XP TweakUI Icon to the Control Panel

Adds...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D14ED2E1-C75B-443c-BD7C-FC03B2F08C17}
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{D14ED2E1-C75B-443c-BD7C-FC03B2F08C17}

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1140838482.8...@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,

mik311y <mik...@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:

mik311y

Mar 11, 2006, 9:25:30 PM3/11/06
I figured it out the directory has to be set to system