Re: The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid ....

Nepatsfan

Dec 17, 2005, 8:31:34 PM12/17/05
In 5D65F302-DE25-49FF...@microsoft.com
mykeytosuccess wrote:
> XP Pro User / Microst Update site will allow any updates
> except for SP2. When I attemp to update to SP2 I get the
> error message:
> The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid .....
> I have run Belarc Advisor and it does list the Product Key
> as follows:
>
> Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 55274-640-0000356-23040
> (Key: FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8)
>
> Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem please. Any
> help would me much appreciated !!!!

You can either buy a legitmate copy of XP or complain to the
people who sold you your computer. This web site has an
excellent explanation of your situation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCKGW

If you're interested in any other sources, you might want to
Google the first five characters of your CD key.

Nepatsfan

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Dec 17, 2005, 8:31:35 PM12/17/05
Please do not post product keys on the Newsgroup.

Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904

--
===========================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2006

"mykeytosuccess" <mykeyto...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 17, 2005, 8:39:10 PM12/17/05
Normally I suggest not posting Product Keys publicly unless you are in the
habit of passing $100.00 bills to strangers as they pass by.
But in this case you have posted a well known pirate key.

You need to buy a legitimate Windows XP Pro and perform a Repair
Installation if you want to keep your current configuration:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"mykeytosuccess" <mykeyto...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Pro User / Microst Update site will allow any updates except for SP2.
> When
> I attemp to update to SP2 I get the error message:
> The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid .....
> I have run Belarc Advisor and it does list the Product Key as follows:
>
> Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 55274-640-0000356-23040 (Key:

> xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 17, 2005, 10:04:12 PM12/17/05
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:39:10 -0700, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_...@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>Normally I suggest not posting Product Keys publicly unless you are in the
>habit of passing $100.00 bills to strangers as they pass by.

Perhaps if windows priced it's software at a lower price then people
wouldn't constantly feel the need to do things like HE did.

You've got 90% of the PC home market so why charge $100 [$200 in my
case] for an OS?

/rant

Vanguard

Dec 17, 2005, 10:05:36 PM12/17/05
"mykeytosuccess" <mykeyto...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> XP Pro User / Microst Update site will allow any updates except for SP2.
> When
> I attemp to update to SP2 I get the error message:
> The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid .....
> I have run Belarc Advisor and it does list the Product Key as follows:
>
> Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 55274-640-0000356-23040 (Key:
> FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8)

> Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem please. Any help would me
> much appreciated !!!!

So just WHERE did you, ahem, "buy" this copy of Windows?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 17, 2005, 10:24:34 PM12/17/05
No one needs to.
It is possible the OP was not aware the OS is pirated.
I do not make the assumption you did.
Many buy used computers at a good price not realizing until later why it
came with Windows XP so cheap.
There are also other possibilities.

The price is only an excuse people use to justify theft.
Thieves will steal regardless the price.
Otherwise there would be little or no theft of the lower priced shareware
etc.
If they can afford the computer, they can afford the OS usually less than
the cost you suggest.
Or just as well, stay with whatever they currently have on the computer
until they can afford the asking price.

There are a lot of things priced higher than I feel appropriate.
At that point I make a choice:
1. Steal...Out of the question
2. Buy it anyway
3. Buy another product
4. Do without.
There may also be other options, most are better than stealing.

"Theodore Baldwin Boothe III" <DNC...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 18:39:10 -0700, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 17, 2005, 11:26:11 PM12/17/05
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:24:34 -0700, "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
<jones_...@hotnomail.com> wrote:

>No one needs to.
>It is possible the OP was not aware the OS is pirated.
>I do not make the assumption you did.
>Many buy used computers at a good price not realizing until later why it
>came with Windows XP so cheap.
>There are also other possibilities.
>
>The price is only an excuse people use to justify theft.

I never said theft was ok. I am saying this. A person can buy and
build a fair computer for around $600 these days. Why should the OS
cost 1/6th the total price of an entire computer?

A house is nice at $100,000 each. Imagine paying 1/6th the price of
the home for electricity or something else like phone service?

All I'm saying is that a higher price tends to lead people to theft.
If you doubt this then why do banks get robbed more often than the
dollar store?
The bank has cold hard cash but the dollar store has trinkints so
worthless that a trunk full of merchandise would yeild at most $500.

Like I said, I do not and am not advocating theft of any product or
service. But I do not BUY into the theory that the price of an item
has nothing to do with the rate of it's theft.

>Thieves will steal regardless the price.
>Otherwise there would be little or no theft of the lower priced shareware
>etc.

Shareware? Most of the shareware has the person being told they can
donate money if they want to. Most shareware doesn't require some
payment. Also, many people program and update software they have
offered to the public for far less than $5 per copy. And even then
it's voluntary at best.

>If they can afford the computer, they can afford the OS usually less than
>the cost you suggest.

At 1/6th of the cost of the entire computer? For a corporation that
might be sustainable, but for a home user that will not work very
long.

Google spends a LOT of money for what it offers for free. Yes they
make money off of advertising but they charge nothing up front. Is
their business model flawed? Is their $400 per share stock price the
result of a failed business model?
Just asking.

>Or just as well, stay with whatever they currently have on the computer
>until they can afford the asking price.

>There are a lot of things priced higher than I feel appropriate.
>At that point I make a choice:
>1. Steal...Out of the question
>2. Buy it anyway

UH, you know some people don't make $50K per year and can only buy a
computer every 3 or 4 years at most. I suppose someone with a good
paying job would pay MORE than $200 for an OS. But the other 99% would
either wait or steal it. And "NO" I am not advocating someone steal
anything at all, not at all.

>3. Buy another product

Which OS would that be exactly? Linux? It's free btw. And when
application/game developers code things they try to cater to what they
know most people are using as an OS. That is why people are literally
forced to by a MS OS. Choices? Hardly.

>4. Do without.
>There may also be other options, most are better than stealing.

Yes, for the 197th time, stealing is wrong. I agree. However if MS
continues to make more and more expensive OS's and APP's then they
before do something about that price.
Reminds me of those $399 computers for sale at places like walmart,
and they include a monitor. I will be you money that walmart or hp
didn't $100 per copy on each of those computers?

I just say if sales drop or piracy becomes a problem, perhaps look
around and see if perhaps the price is steep?

And no, again, let me be clear, in no way whatsoever do I advocate or
support the theft or piracy of software.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 18, 2005, 1:10:14 AM12/18/05
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 04:46:41 GMT, Leythos <vo...@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <5N5pf.197866$tD4....@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>,
>vo...@nowhere.lan says...
>> In article <lbo9q1lcdo6eimn49...@lol.com>,
>> DNC...@YAHOO.COM says...

>> > I never said theft was ok. I am saying this. A person can buy and
>> > build a fair computer for around $600 these days. Why should the OS
>> > cost 1/6th the total price of an entire computer?
>>

>> The OS doesn't cost anything UNLESS you want to pay that much for an OS
>> that costs that much. As an example, for a typical home user, Linux
>> Fedora Core 3 or 4 would provide a viable workstation platform on a lot
>> of hardware and with a lot of apps - and it doesn't cost a thing.
>>
>> If you don't want to pay for an OS, no one is going to FORCE YOU to buy
>> Windows OS, you do it because YOU WANT TO and must see some benefit to
>> it.
>
>Oh, one other thing - the Motherboard costs more than 1/6th the cost of
>the computer, so does the CPU.... Did you really have a point or just
>like bitching about Windows OS.

Well, it didn't take long for the swearing to start.
Oh well, I guess free speech isn't allowed in this newsgroup.
bye sir!

Galen

Dec 18, 2005, 1:39:44 AM12/18/05
In news:O1UgaP3...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jupiter Jones [MVP] <jones_...@hotnomail.com> had this to say:

> Normally I suggest not posting Product Keys publicly unless you are
> in the habit of passing $100.00 bills to strangers as they pass by.
> But in this case you have posted a well known pirate key.
>
> You need to buy a legitimate Windows XP Pro and perform a Repair
> Installation if you want to keep your current configuration:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

Off Topic...

Where did you manage to find that this was a pirated key? I'm curious
because I'd like to be able to keep something like that in mind. I took a
look at the link you gave but your site didn't contain any information on
how you knew it to be pirated. I'm just too curious I suppose...

While I'm posting off-topic - I'll respond to the rant.

I've seen cracks for the free version of mIRC, XNView, and even a key was
floating around for Kelly's Tasbbar Repair Kit which is pretty inexpensive
at something like $5 USD if I recall. Crackers crack for the sake of
defeating the methods. Users use them to steal the application. Price is not
a factor. If such a statement were true than the thieves would go after big
targets all the time and yet the most commonly stolen items (at the one lone
department store where I worked for a whole 3 weeks and using only their
statistics so it's perhaps skewed data) are very inexpensive items and the
most common loss is due to employee theft. I'd wager that the statistics are
similar for software as you don't generally see people pirating something
like an ERP system.

--
Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
http://dts-l.org/

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of
existence." - Sherlock Holmes

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 18, 2005, 2:34:31 AM12/18/05
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:39:44 -0500, "Galen" <gale...@gmail.com>
wrote:

OK, let me state up front, I do NOT support piracy or theft. BUT I
really want someone to explain the following. How can a company like
microsoft be so alarmed and upset with piracy when they have nearly
$100 Billion in assets and cash on hand? Also MSFT continues to make
more and more and more money year after year even with all this Piracy
going on?
Did I miss something?

Also. Car alarms are for keeping cars from being stolen. Yet, cars get
stolen anyway, even when people install $1,000 systems. I also know
that if you have full coverage car insurance that the company will
simply write you a check for the stolen car. So why spend $1,000 on an
alarm when a common car theif can steal it? If you say it's for a
premium deduction I wonder just how much you think you saved? $1,000
wll not return too soon when your discounted premium difference is $25
per month.

Yes theft is VERY WRONG. But why do we place priority on protecting
$100 Billion corporations from losing money over some guy who owns a
corner drug store and has a 3% profit margin?

Just wondering. And btw, every time you catch the piracy or method of
transmitting pirated software, some 12 yr old kid in his closet will
code something new and better than before. Then stop that one, and
here is another 12 yr old with new program code. and so on.

Again, I do not and have never supported piracy or theft. NEVER!

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 18, 2005, 3:06:16 AM12/18/05
Galen;
That OP has one of the most common if not the most common pirated key.
I have seen it so many times on forums, newsgroups etc, that I recognize it.
Try a Google search on that key.

The web site I gave has this link at the top:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904
The Product ID given by the OP is the top ID listed on that page.
The list of invalid Product IDs is not a complete list, just the most common
IDs.

"Galen" <gale...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 18, 2005, 3:27:23 AM12/18/05
Your example with banks is not valid.
You are not stealing a product, you are stealing currency. Even then there
is stealing in all ranges.
The desperate and inept go after $5, the intelligent and clever try the big
jobs such as banks and much larger operations.

The OS only costs what the buyer is willing to pay, not a penny more.
There are computer components that cost more than the OS, do you also
complain about their cost as you do with Windows?

I do not buy into the theory that price is a cause, but price is a major
excuse many use to justify their actions.
Or perhaps you are suggesting the price of products should be lowered until
theft stops?
The owners of a product set the price.
The buyers then decide to buy or not.
Windows at any price would be stolen same as any other product cheap or
expensive.

Your house is another bad example.
But since you brought it up, what % is the foundation? Land? Etc?
The major components must be over priced since many can not afford a home.
And a home is a little more essential than a computer.

Some shareware costs, even the cheaper software gets stolen as was already
stated.

Your example of computers at Wal-Mart does not do much for your point.
Most computers come with an OS, and as you said "didn't $100 per copy on
each of those computers".
So the customer gets it cheaper.
There is no need to buy retail or even OEM Windows by itself especially if
the persons financial status does not allow.
Keep the original OS on the computer and save the $.

Tell me, Who needs the OS so bad and does not have the resources that they
feel they have to steal it?
Just the people without the resources but have the need.
Do not count those with the resources to buy or without a genuine need.
Like any other product, the consumer chooses, no one is being forced.

"Theodore Baldwin Boothe III" <DNC...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message

Chelsea

Dec 18, 2005, 5:11:35 AM12/18/05
Wow I was thinking to myself yesterday that nobody looks at newsgroups like
this at weekends, based on some of the questions that go unanswered or only
partially answered. It's interesting how a non-technical question draws such
a strong and heated response showing that the threads are read by many more
people than one thinks.

Theo is off course right-Windows XP is massively over priced compared to its
manufacturing costs. My view is that you should look at a Microsoft OS in
the same way as a new drug under patent. At first it needs to be very
expensive to recover the multi-million dollar cost of development, after
that has happened and the generics appear the price comes down to virtually
nothing. The problem with Microsoft OS's is there's no generic manufacturers
to bring the price down and in business the rule is charge as much as you
can get away with. I know I do that and bet you do as well. I would suggest
that OS software should have a limited patent giving the developer time to
make a good profit and recover development costs. After the patent expires
others can make the product and create a market with competition. This would
force Microsoft to push harder to deliver Windows versions in less
time-enabling flaws and security issues to be better dealt with and support
for emerging hardware to be better supported. I don't expect this to happen
but it would shake up the computer industry if it did.

Chelsea

john...@hotmail.com

Dec 18, 2005, 5:22:12 AM12/18/05
Interesting...you can come to this group and speak intelligently and at
the same time spew rasict, sexist garbage in the other groups. Way to
go Theodore Baldwin Boothe III.

Message has been deleted

Galen

Dec 18, 2005, 10:52:25 AM12/18/05
In news:%23dHjun6...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,

Jupiter Jones [MVP] <jones_...@hotnomail.com> had this to say:

Top posted for a change...

Thank you. Curious what a search shows up for the number... All sorts of odd
things out there. I wonder how people will think keys will go unblacklisted
if they make them that easy to find. Ah well...

Galen

> Galen;
> That OP has one of the most common if not the most common pirated key.
> I have seen it so many times on forums, newsgroups etc, that I
> recognize it. Try a Google search on that key.
>
> The web site I gave has this link at the top:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904
> The Product ID given by the OP is the top ID listed on that page.
> The list of invalid Product IDs is not a complete list, just the most
> common IDs.

Galen

Dec 18, 2005, 11:18:24 AM12/18/05
In news:fr3aq197g7fm7qlmd...@lol.com,
Theodore Baldwin Boothe III <DNC...@YAHOO.COM> had this to say:

Did you miss something? Perhaps the part about theft? Stealing is stealing -
regardless of the assets controlled by a company.

IDC estimated that in 2004 90 billion US Dollars worth of pirated software
was installed - in that year alone. In the study - which included 87
countries, over half of them had at least 60% of their software installed
illegally. I don't know about you but it's my opinion that $90,000,000,000
USD is a lot of money regardless of the assets owned.

I'm not sure where you see a priority being places on software piracy.
You're in a newsgroup, on a computer, with the topic being computers. The
likelihood of the conversation being about theft and that theft being
specific to software, hardware, or other computer related crimes is pretty
high, certainly much higher than seeing a conversation about thefts from a
corner drug store. I don't know if there is such a thing but maybe there's
an alt.corner.drugstore where you'd find that topic for a thread?

I do agree with the statement about the 12 year old. Sort of. However switch
the crime around. Every time you take a drug pusher off the streets another
one will replace them. And so on, and so on, and so on... Crime, simply
puts, needs to have efforts taken to prevent it and to prosecute it in order
to maintain a lawful society. While it's true that another criminal will hop
up to take the place of any who are removed from the scene that isn't
justification (in my opinion at any rate) for apathy regarding the crime or
the victims.

I can agree that to think of Microsoft as a victim is pretty tough. Maybe to
think of the humanitarian losses that this results in might help? I don't
have percentages or exact numbers but I'm willing to bet you can find a good
deal of the information specifics with a search engine. The gifting to
humanitarian efforts on behalf of the company and the philanthropic efforts
by not just this one company but any other large software corporation would
certainly be larger if they had more assets with which to make those
donations. Even if it was only 1% of that 90 billion USD that went to
humanitarian relief funds, research for cures, grants for education, etc
that's still a rather huge loss to the global community because of someone
"needing" to use a piece of software and being unwilling to pay for it.

I spend a great deal of money on software, the code I buy access to is often
something I can do without but rather I pay to support the developers. The
vast majority of what I buy is available either in the same version pretty
much for free or can be found freely distributed from another vendor. To
cite the price as a legitimate reason or the value of the company as being
pertinent or justifying the crime is not very logical to me. It seems likely
to me that with the additional assets that are lost to piracy the prices
would be lower and no one who has a "need" for (specific example) Windows XP
is unable to afford it. At worst they might have to sacrifice something else
from their life for a short time to pay for it - that's called budgeting and
being a responsible consumer - but if they truly need the software than they
certainly can afford to pay for it.

Please note that the above is much my own personal opinion and by no means
represents my views on the licensing which, in my opinion, could be
revamped.

Bruce Chambers

Dec 18, 2005, 12:11:19 PM12/18/05
mykeytosuccess wrote:
> XP Pro User / Microst Update site will allow any updates except for SP2. When
> I attemp to update to SP2 I get the error message:
> The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid .....
> I have run Belarc Advisor and it does list the Product Key as follows:
>
> Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 55274-640-0000356-23040 (Key:
> FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8)

That's one of the well-known, pirated copies of a WinXP Pro Volume
License. It was locked out of the update process years ago.

> Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem please. Any help would me
> much appreciated !!!!

If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
following:

The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

You need to purchase and a _legitimate_ retail or OEM full license
of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
using the new CDs and Product Keys.

You should also report whomever sold you this license to your local
law enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers

Dec 18, 2005, 12:16:06 PM12/18/05
Galen wrote:

Just curious, but why do you always preface each post with the above?

> Off Topic...

Not really, you're just asking for clarification and information.

> Where did you manage to find that this was a pirated key? I'm curious
> because I'd like to be able to keep something like that in mind. I took a
> look at the link you gave but your site didn't contain any information on
> how you knew it to be pirated. I'm just too curious I suppose...

You receive a "The product key used to install Windows is invalid" error
message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 18, 2005, 12:52:18 PM12/18/05

Man you're a hacker aren't you? I bet you hack cia systems all the
time too?
When was it you discovered the groups search function on google?

Also, when did you decided what I post on other newsgroups has
anything to do with what I post here?
Also, have I said anything in THIS NG that is offensive ???

Also, why don't you simply join into the discussion rather than attack
the people in the discussions?

I have all the proof I need about people here, and you made it VERY
clear to me now.

deebs

Dec 18, 2005, 1:25:26 PM12/18/05

This may help:

www.bsa.org

BTW: software piracy is an international crime. Not reporting it is an
easy way to support international criminals

robert...@my-deja.com

Dec 18, 2005, 3:45:01 PM12/18/05
Theodore Baldwin Boothe III wrote:
> You've got 90% of the PC home market so why charge $100 [$200 in my
> case] for an OS?

Because you have 90% of the market? Without competition you can charge
what you want.

joevan

Dec 19, 2005, 12:30:39 PM12/19/05
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:31:35 +1100, "TaurArian [MS-MVP]"
<taurarian...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Please do not post product keys on the Newsgroup.
>
>Error Message: The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326904

The key he posted can do no one any good. That is the one so called
"from the devil himself".
and for the same reason."

DrJoel

Dec 19, 2005, 1:50:28 PM12/19/05
Bruce Chambers wrote:
> mykeytosuccess wrote:
>> XP Pro User / Microst Update site will allow any updates except for
>> SP2. When I attemp to update to SP2 I get the error message:
>> The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid .....
>> I have run Belarc Advisor and it does list the Product Key as follows:
>>
>> Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 55274-640-0000356-23040 (Key:
>> FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8)
>>

> That's one of the well-known, pirated copies of a WinXP Pro Volume
> License. It was locked out of the update process years ago.
>
>> Does anyone know how I can overcome this problem please. Any help
>> would me much appreciated !!!!
>

> If you are trying to install a WinXP Service Pack and getting the
> following:
>
> The Product Key Used to Install Windows Is Invalid
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904
>
> You need to purchase and a _legitimate_ retail or OEM full license
> of WinXP Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation,
> using the new CDs and Product Keys.
>
> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
>
> You should also report whomever sold you this license to your local
> law enforcement agencies; you've been defrauded.

One thing that drives me crazy is the way Microsoft connects the Windows
OEM key to the BIOS of the Motherboard. Example when I bought my Dell it
came with XP home. I paid extra for XP Pro. Now if I buy a new
motherboard I have to buy a new version of XP. I paid the same price
anyone else pays for XP why should I have to pay twice? Or am I wrong
with my thought?

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 19, 2005, 2:59:53 PM12/19/05
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:50:28 -0500, DrJoel <joel...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>One thing that drives me crazy is the way Microsoft connects the Windows
>OEM key to the BIOS of the Motherboard. Example when I bought my Dell it
>came with XP home. I paid extra for XP Pro. Now if I buy a new
>motherboard I have to buy a new version of XP. I paid the same price
>anyone else pays for XP why should I have to pay twice? Or am I wrong
>with my thought?

No you're correct in your thinking. But some people will defend
corporations right to rape consumers to the death!

Galen

Dec 19, 2005, 3:35:59 PM12/19/05
In news:u60b8a$AGHA...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Bruce Chambers <bcha...@cable0ne.n3t> had this to say:

My reply is at the tossed in and among and after your sent message:

> Galen wrote:

> Just curious, but why do you always preface each post with the above?

I always do because too many people can't seem to make up their mind if
top-posting or bottom-posting is the accepted method. I follow older habits
and bottom post (sometimes - oh my - I even snip!) and to avoid complaints
or confusion I have the line automatically inserted. There's times, like
this one, where I'll intersperse the reply and I'll edit it. Other times -
if it's plainly visible, I may even cut it out but it's automatically placed
there using OEQuoteFix. Ironically enough - it's actually cut down the troll
attacks. I've been using similar or the same line for quite some time now. I
think, maybe, '03 or so is when I first picked up on it after being told a
number of times (regardless of where I put the reply) that it was in the
wrong spot. Now, once in a while someone will tell me it's in the wrong spot
but at least they can't say they didn't know where to find it.

>> Off Topic...
>>

> Not really, you're just asking for clarification and information.

Yeah, good point. I figured I'd mark it OT as, well, someone's bound to be
sure that it is. Adding the OT to it makes it less important and lets the OP
know (hopefully) that there's nothing important to see there. <g>

>> Where did you manage to find that this was a pirated key? I'm curious
>> because I'd like to be able to keep something like that in mind. I
>> took a look at the link you gave but your site didn't contain any
>> information on how you knew it to be pirated. I'm just too curious I
>> suppose...
>

> You receive a "The product key used to install Windows is invalid"
> error message
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q326904

I was hoping that there was some sort of master list somewhere. I hadn't
taken too many trips to the dark side of the 'net in a long time and I was
actually amazed at the sheer number of available pirated versions of
software there are now. They used to actually have to work a little bit to
get ahold of this stuff but now they have link rings, top sites, ad
sponsoring, and a myriad of choices available. A list of blacklisted serials
might be an interesting thing to see.

I do note that they've listed, on the site given, blacklisted PIDs but not
the actual serials. I do not know the algorithm used so I'm guessing that a
number of keys would result in PIDs in those ranges. In my travels I did see
a site that was actually delving into the PID generation and that was a bit
above my level of comprehension and devotion to the subject. Ah well...

I wonder how many people pirate software and then complain about it?

Kerry Brown

Dec 19, 2005, 3:57:49 PM12/19/05
Theodore Baldwin Boothe III wrote:

Corporations can do whatever is legal. It's up to consumers to complain and
even boycott corporations that do things they don't like. If everyone quit
buying on price and actually bought on features the practise would go away.

Kerry

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 19, 2005, 4:17:37 PM12/19/05
You are wrong.
Microsoft does not connect the Product Key to the Motherboard.
The OEM, in your case Dell made the connection.
That is one of several choices computer manufacturers have.
Another of the many choices is to provide a retail OS, but that would
greatly increase the cost for them and thus to the customer.
The ability to freely transfer retail Windows XP to another computer is only
one of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM.

If you like such a system, buy another computer similarly configured next
time.
If not, buy a computer configured the way you want from a competitor.
Do not forget to mail Dell and explain exactly why they lost your business.
As long as many continue to buy computers configured like this, the computer
manufacturers will continue to choose this less expensive path for their
customers

"DrJoel" <joel...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 19, 2005, 4:22:32 PM12/19/05
He is incorrect.
Dell made the choice of several options provided by Microsoft.
Dell chose the cheaper option since they feel their customers priority is
price.

Hopefully you voice your opinion with your wallet as well as here.
If all you do is post your opinion here its value is lost since Dell will
probably never see it.

There are plenty of options available for consumers wanting a different
option.

Also see my previous post.

"Theodore Baldwin Boothe III" <DNC...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message

DrJoel

Dec 19, 2005, 8:28:15 PM12/19/05
Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> You are wrong.
> Microsoft does not connect the Product Key to the Motherboard.
> The OEM, in your case Dell made the connection.
> That is one of several choices computer manufacturers have.
> Another of the many choices is to provide a retail OS, but that would
> greatly increase the cost for them and thus to the customer.
> The ability to freely transfer retail Windows XP to another computer is only
> one of the many reasons you paid less for your OEM.
>
> If you like such a system, buy another computer similarly configured next
> time.
> If not, buy a computer configured the way you want from a competitor.
> Do not forget to mail Dell and explain exactly why they lost your business.
> As long as many continue to buy computers configured like this, the computer
> manufacturers will continue to choose this less expensive path for their
> customers

The horrible thing about it Dell charged me the same as retail for the
move to XP Pro. The machine was XP home, and during the order process I
upgraded to Pro. When my new system is ready I will go through the steps
with Microsoft.

Bruce Chambers

Dec 19, 2005, 9:16:29 PM12/19/05
DrJoel wrote:

> One thing that drives me crazy is the way Microsoft connects the Windows
> OEM key to the BIOS of the Motherboard.

Microsoft does no such thing. Microsoft doesn't build computers.

> Example when I bought my Dell it
> came with XP home. I paid extra for XP Pro. Now if I buy a new

> motherboard I have to buy a new version of XP.I paid the same price

> anyone else pays for XP why should I have to pay twice? Or am I wrong
> with my thought?

Even though you may have paid Dell a little extra to get WinXP Pro in
lieu of WinXP Pro, you still paid far less than you would have had to
pay for a retail license. You opted to purchase a deeply discounted OEM
license, so you can't reasonably expect it to be as fully-featured as a
full-priced retail license. One of the features you sacrificed to save
money was the transferability of the retail license.

Kerry Brown

Dec 19, 2005, 9:26:05 PM12/19/05

"DrJoel" <joel...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Another great Dell policy. They advertise very cheap systems then push
overpriced upgrades. Try to phone up and order the latest cheap offer in
your local newspaper with no options or upgrades. You will have to argue
with the salesperson to get it.

Kerry

TaurArian

Dec 19, 2005, 10:40:02 PM12/19/05

"joevan" wrote:

Quick google and I see what you mean ......................... "from the
devil himself".

ANONYMOUS

Dec 19, 2005, 11:18:11 PM12/19/05

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> The price is only an excuse people use to justify theft.

> Thieves will steal regardless the price.
> Otherwise there would be little or no theft of the lower priced shareware

Are we talking from personal experience here sir?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Dec 19, 2005, 11:24:25 PM12/19/05
In what way?
One does not need to steal to know a little about how a thief functions.

More pointless posts from you.
Surely you are able to contribute something?

"ANONYMOUS" <ANON...@NEWSGROUPS.COM> wrote in message

Chelsea

Dec 20, 2005, 3:49:32 AM12/20/05
Don't you guys think this thread has run its course now? Stealing is bad and
Bill and Melinda Gates are loaded. Is there much more to say?

Chelsea

"mykeytosuccess" <mykeyto...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> XP Pro User / Microst Update site will allow any updates except for SP2.
> When
> I attemp to update to SP2 I get the error message:
> The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid .....
> I have run Belarc Advisor and it does list the Product Key as follows:
>
> Microsoft - Windows XP Professional 55274-640-0000356-23040 (Key:
> FCKGW-RHQQ2-YXRKT-8TG6W-2B7Q8)

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III

Dec 20, 2005, 12:10:04 PM12/20/05
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:49:32 -0000, "Chelsea" <gall...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Don't you guys think this thread has run its course now? Stealing is bad and
>Bill and Melinda Gates are loaded. Is there much more to say?

Perhaps? One more item: Theft is very wrong. Also, when a man making
$18K per year has his car stolen, little effort by the local PD is
given to find his car. I recall having an item stolen from my car
years back. I asked the cop if they could fingerprint the car and
perhaps look for a print of a person already in the system, so they
could catch the person. The cop said "we don't roll out those people
for crimes under $500....it just wouldn't make sense because we have
to focus on the big crimes where people get something very valuable
stolen.." I was like shaking my head and wondering why I was not
important enough? Wasn't my radar detector, something I paid good
money for, worth finding? I guess not. A guy making $18K per year who
get's things stolen from him is not worth the time or effort to find
the theif.

Now let's look at what IS considered worthy of finding. Microsoft is
likely the largest corporation in the world. It also holds perhaps
80-90% of the OS market in the world. It's founder and CEO is worth
just under $50 Billion and the company has more than $150 Billion in
cash on hand, and untold $billions in value based on it's stock price.
When someone steals something from them, all hell breaks lose and
nothing is spared to find this person[s]. Understand, if they lose $1
Million in stolen software, it would be like you and I losing a dime!

So we have our priorities in order now
To sum up
If you're poor and have something stolen, good luck with that.
If you're worth billions then god himself will find the theif.

NO NO NO, I want to make it clear AGAIN:Stealing is wrong, very very
wrong. People should not steal because it is morally and legally wrong
to do.

Chelsea

Dec 20, 2005, 12:30:42 PM12/20/05
You clearly believe passionately in what you are saying and it should now be
clear that you don't support software piracy. I must admit I agree with most
of what you have said. In a perfect world every crime would be treated as
important, irrespective of whether it involve $1 or $1000000, but its an
imperfect system we have and resources have to be prioritised. I somehow
doubt that even Bill Gates gets his vandalised car checked for fingerprints
though lol

Chelsea

"Theodore Baldwin Boothe III" <DNC...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message

deebs

Dec 20, 2005, 1:53:32 PM12/20/05
Is this really relevant to the interests of Mr G?

Daniel Ganek

Dec 21, 2005, 9:21:36 AM12/21/05

Dell did this not MS. If you buy a generic OEM version of XP it's not bound to
any BIOS. Also, I don't think Dell binds it's distros to a specific BIOS.

I asked Dell to send me am installation CD for my son's Insperon 6000. (The
cardboard one they included with the laptop wouldn't load :-) Since I didn't
want to blow away my son's setup I tested it on an old Dell Latitude.
It loaded fine - it didn't even need to be activated. Now THAT I find weird.

/dan

oscar@discussions.microsoft.com chris oscar

Jan 16, 2010, 1:20:01 PM1/16/10
wow...so many replies and all irrelevant. Anyone with a valid answer to the
original question?

neil

Jan 16, 2010, 1:26:07 PM1/16/10
"chris oscar" <chris os...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> wow...so many replies and all irrelevant. Anyone with a valid answer to
> the
> original question?

What was the original question.?

DL

Jan 16, 2010, 3:44:28 PM1/16/10
No; because you've seen fit to post a new irrelevent post

VanguardLH

Jan 17, 2010, 5:30:11 AM1/17/10
chris oscar wrote:

> wow...so many replies and all irrelevant. Anyone with a valid answer to the
> original question?

Oh yeah, the OP has been waiting OVER 4 YEARS for a resolution, uh huh.
*Next time look at the datestamps BEFORE replying.*

Google Groups copy of ancient thread (what's left of it):
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/browse_frm/thread/0e2a3923cce942d6/a3b4bc361e996fbb#a3b4bc361e996fbb

Daave

Jan 17, 2010, 2:00:10 PM1/17/10
chris oscar wrote:
> wow...so many replies and all irrelevant. Anyone with a valid answer
> to the original question?

Apparently, you do not understand how Usenet works, Chris. Are you
interested in learning or would you rather have a chip on your shoulder
and look like an idiot?