Intellipoint Software > 5.5 causes screen flickering

Holger Strunzelbeck

Nov 16, 2006, 3:58:42 PM11/16/06
Hi there,

I just learned that the new Intellipoint Software which was shipped
with my new MS Laser Desktop 6000 causes excessive screen flickering.
It's ipoint.exe in particular.

This seems to originate from the "Window-Viewer" functionality, which
can be assigned to a mousebutton. This Window-Viewer function is taking
screenshots all the time from every program running, to build the
special screen upon them.

Even if the Window-Viewer functionality is not assigned, the problem
keeps existing.

So, this is really really annoying while working with PhotoShop or
other programs - in particular programs, which don't refresh their
screens all the time (TheBat! 2.x for example where the toolbar-buttons
in a message window keep disappearing until I move the window around
again.)

With ipoint.exe running, it's impossible for me to work with PhotoShop.
Selection boxes are vanishing from screen while still dragging the
mouse with every flicker, and so on..

It's happening here on XPSP2 with a Radon9800Pro with Catalyst 6.7.

Anyone else having these problems? Or anyone who knows how I can
eliminate the flickering?

Thanks,
HS

David Vair

Nov 16, 2006, 5:05:27 PM11/16/06
You could try changing the button that uses the Windows Viewer to a differnt task. Also I found 6.02
software while stumbling around the hardware site, maybe this could help . (Watch the wrapping on
the link.)

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=IntelliMouse%20Explorer%203.0&os=XP_32bit&lang=en&driverVersion=IntelliPoint%206.02

--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"Holger Strunzelbeck" <superc...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Holger Strunzelbeck

Nov 16, 2006, 5:13:22 PM11/16/06
David,

thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately neither 6.02 fixed that problem, nor assigning the Window
Viewer to a different button or even not assigning it at all.
This behaviour occurs on 5.5, 6.0 and 6.02. (6.02 just adds support for
the new MS Desktop 8000 series I think).

Shutting down ipoint.exe is the only way out right now.

HS

Rick

Nov 16, 2006, 5:53:17 PM11/16/06
I am not having any problems except for the screensaver issue.

Rick

Folk

Nov 17, 2006, 4:11:49 PM11/17/06
On 16 Nov 2006 12:58:42 -0800, "Holger Strunzelbeck"
<superc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Same problem here Holger. Using the latest Intellipoint software and
the (new) Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 mouse. I found this thread while
researching the problem.

At least now I know it's not some sort of weird display driver
conflict, since I'm using an Nvidia card with it's latest drivers
(93.71).

If I find a solution, I'll post it here. In the meantime, using
MSCONFIG to disable "ipoint.exe" seems to be the only solution that
works.

I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this problem?

And how did you determine that it's the Window-Viewer stuff that's
causing the problem? It sounds reasonable, but I'm curious how you
came to that conclusion.

Holger Strunzelbeck

Nov 24, 2006, 9:30:32 AM11/24/06
Folk,

good to see someone else having this problem, that shows I'm not insane
:)

> And how did you determine that it's the Window-Viewer stuff that's
> causing the problem? It sounds reasonable, but I'm curious how you
> came to that conclusion.

Some time ago I tried to program something similar like that, thus I
know it's only possible do get pictures of the programs running simply
by screenshooting them (in invisible way).

Latest quirk I experienced is that my semi-transparent miranda
chatwindows stop showing the characters I enter - until I klick the
window and it refreshs itself.

Also latest Catalyst 6.11 brought no changes.

Until no fix is around I still have ipoint.exe disabled - so my 80€
desktop set is worth less now.

Folk

Nov 24, 2006, 11:40:18 AM11/24/06
On 24 Nov 2006 06:30:32 -0800, "Holger Strunzelbeck"
<superc...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Folk,
>
>good to see someone else having this problem, that shows I'm not insane
>:)

Misery loves company.

>> And how did you determine that it's the Window-Viewer stuff that's
>> causing the problem? It sounds reasonable, but I'm curious how you
>> came to that conclusion.
>
>Some time ago I tried to program something similar like that, thus I
>know it's only possible do get pictures of the programs running simply
>by screenshooting them (in invisible way).

It makes sense. But you would think Microsoft would be smart enough
to only take screenshots when you have that functionality assigned to
a button. That would solve the problem for most of us.

Holger Strunzelbeck

Nov 25, 2006, 7:24:34 AM11/25/06
Folk,

> It makes sense. But you would think Microsoft would be smart enough
> to only take screenshots when you have that functionality assigned to
> a button. That would solve the problem for most of us.

I hope they fix it in the next release, it really seems to be a silly
thing. If not, I can imagine a small patch application, which
intercepts the api calls for getting the image information from the
running programms, can help as well. But I doubt if it would be worth
the effort..

D@discussions.microsoft.com Rich D

Apr 20, 2007, 7:32:03 PM4/20/07
I'm also having this problem. Images in Photoshop periodically flicker and it
makes me want to rip out my eyes...sorry for the graphic reply hehe. The
problem is just annoying.

Fred

Apr 21, 2007, 6:04:02 PM4/21/07
now iPoint is v 6.1 and this lame bug is STILL not fixed... so, microsoft:
when will I be able to use all buttons on my mouse?

RMSe17

May 17, 2007, 7:56:01 AM5/17/07
Yep, Intellipoint 6.1 causing a major problem with FormZ in our university
labs. FormZ crashes within seconds of use from just basic cube creation to
any other creation... flicker of the toolbar under the drawing window occurs,
and the program freezes with 100% cpu use. Ending ipoint.exe fixes the
problem...

Hopefully the problem will get fixed on Microsoft's end.

RMSe17

treadwer

Jul 2, 2007, 2:10:01 AM7/2/07
I have the same problem at work. I'll let you know the hardware setup

fr...@theshire.net

Jul 2, 2007, 1:02:50 PM7/2/07
try upgrading to version 6.1, the latest.

Opinicus

Jul 2, 2007, 1:45:15 PM7/2/07
<fr...@theshire.net> wrote

> try upgrading to version 6.1, the latest.

How do I do that? When I click on the "Update" button, nothing happens.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Peter Foldes

Jul 2, 2007, 8:28:21 PM7/2/07
Go to the Microsoft Download Center.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Browse.aspx?displaylang=en&categoryid=3

--
Peter

Rick

Jul 2, 2007, 11:18:01 PM7/2/07
I am glad I found dthis forum! I spent the last 5 days trying to figure out
what was going on with my new syncMaster 275t. The flickering was driving me
mad. It was really noticeable whenever I dragged anything, when I opened an
application like poser or limewire. Limewire kept refreshing itself every 15
seconds. It drove me nuts! When ever I tried to do work on an image in
photoshop or other image program, the images would shake. Especially at the
edges. I took my monitor back to Future Shop & it showed nothing. I tried
another video card & still had the flickering. It was very noticeable on a 27
inch screen. I contacted dell who were of no help at all. I downloaded that
update 6.1 or 6.2 intellipoint last week. This was the cause! I removed it in
startup & wow! The flickering was gone! No more fast refresh in limewire, no
more photo flickering in photoshop & no more dragging shadowing. I felt so
relieved! I removed the intellipoint program & downloaded the 5.0 version
again & all is fine again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

RIck

Opinicus

Jul 3, 2007, 2:45:38 AM7/3/07
"Rick" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I downloaded that
> update 6.1 or 6.2 intellipoint last week. This was the cause! I removed it
> in
> startup & wow! The flickering was gone! No more fast refresh in limewire,
> no
> more photo flickering in photoshop & no more dragging shadowing. I felt so
> relieved! I removed the intellipoint program & downloaded the 5.0 version
> again & all is fine again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Let me get this straight: v 6.1 CAUSES the flickering?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Rick

Jul 3, 2007, 1:44:03 PM7/3/07
Yes, version 6.01 or 6.02 (forget now) was causing my problem. As soon as I
removed it from startup & rebooted, the problem was gone! I spent quite a
while testing it on poser, lime wire, images in photo shop. I then removed
the program, rebooted & put version 5.0 back again & all was fine. 5.0 is
point32.exe not ipoint.
Thinking back, this all started when I updated the microsoft keyboard & the
mouse.
THe keyboard seems to be fine with 6.1. But definately not 6.1 of the mouse
intelli ipoint software. All is just fine now!

Rick Downey

Holger Strunzelbeck

Jul 18, 2007, 8:52:18 PM7/18/07
Isn't that crazy that this issue is still not fixed? I just can't
believe it..

Rick

Jul 19, 2007, 12:46:03 AM7/19/07
Yes, this is crazy! It has been some time now & there has been nothing done
about it. I do not get it. Why have they not fixed it? It caused me a lot of
wasted time.
Do they not read any of these posts? This is there site. One would think
they would have read this & responded with some sort of information.

Bob I

Jul 19, 2007, 8:53:52 AM7/19/07
This is a user to user group, "Microsoft" doesn't "read" them. If you
want "official Microsoft tech support" call them and open a ticket.

Kcarm

Jul 23, 2007, 12:26:00 PM7/23/07
My intellimouse 6.02 software worked fine UNTIL I installed a microsoft
windows update. Thats when my applications started to flicker. And yes, it
was driving me mad. I therefore re-formatted my computer. Everything was
great until the last few windows updates. Then bingo! I'm back to flicker and
can't get rid of it. Even when rolling back the windows updates, my programs
flickered. Ugh!

Anyway, thanks to this site, un-installing the explorer software has fixed
my problem. I wish I knew this 5 days ago!

Barkster

Aug 9, 2007, 3:34:02 AM8/9/07
Just to let you know that I too have been experiencing this. My active window
would jump or flicker, not the whole display, just the active window. It's
been driving me mad for weeks, funnily enough, probably ever since I got my
new mouse ! Just now I looked in Windows Task Manager at Processes and
noticed which application seem to have CPU usage which coincided with the
flicker and it was ipoint.exe. I shut down the process and it is fine. At
that point I did a search for ipoint.exe and came up with you guys. Do I need
ipoint.exe at all ? Can I just uninstall the whole thing ? Or do I need to
downgrade to 5.5 ?

hakl

Sep 3, 2007, 11:44:02 AM9/3/07
i have the same problems, just was under a MS-Support Ticket for another
issue for a week with instant testing,
so there should nothing else cause the problem.

Installed a new Explorer 3.0 USB-mouse, from the CD tried 6.1 (also the
latest now available at MS-download site)

->>flickering : Explorer Windows, Desktop when closing an Explorer Window,
Filemaker Pulldowns are corrupted,
Screensaver (Charater) is jerking.

deinstalled, reboot

installed 5.2, but no Explorer 3.0 found, so deinstalled, reboot,
installed IP 4.0, everything is fine.

br, klaus

copotay

Sep 9, 2007, 2:17:14 PM9/9/07

first post here, man, I thought I was going crazy, I was using adobe
photoshop and having the same problem, its bad enough to make an
epileptic go into seizures. I killed the ipoint.exe and it works fine,
you would think microsoft could have figured out some way to fix this
by now. I am glad I found yall talking about this I have spent two days
trying to figure this out, i thought it was my video card or monitor.

BTW, does ipoint.exe have to run, I have the wireless internet explorer
2.0 mouse and wireless multimedia keyboard? Should I just uninstall the
intellipoint software or look for an older version?

tks

--
copotay
copotay's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30809

http://forums.techarena.in

fr...@theshire.net

Sep 10, 2007, 12:34:15 PM9/10/07
copotay <copotay...@donotspam.com> wrote:

> BTW, does ipoint.exe have to run, I have the wireless internet explorer
> 2.0 mouse and wireless multimedia keyboard? Should I just uninstall the
> intellipoint software or look for an older version?

you can uninstall it, but any "advanced" features will be lost - you may
not care about that tho, so give it a try.

The subject line states, and I agree whole heartedly, that version 5.4
(and 5.5 too) are/were very stable and work just fine with older mice
(pre 2006). The newer mice do require the newest drivers to take
advantage of their advanced features (zoom viewer, etc).

FWIW, I just installed 6.1 on a entry-level laptop running XP w/ a new
"compact optical mouse" and that driver worked fine - no flicker at all,
advanced features work fine, and no conflicts with the built-in trackpad.
So I suspect the flickering is a conflict issue with just a small subset
of systems out there. those experienceing the flickering should consider
posting your config so we can see if there is some common factor.

It certainly sounds like the mouse interrupts are causing the video driver
to hic-up; a video driver update may be in order (or down-grade; often
video updates are just for newer cards and they sometimes break older
cards - go back to a driver that was released shortly after your card was
released). And be patient - video driver changes almost never go smoothly
at first. Read up before jumping in, a clean uninstall of the old driver
first may be necessary. you could also investigate the IRQ being used,
and alter it if possible.

Oh, and if it's a PS2/USB mouse, try it both ways if you can - those two
interfaces will handle interrupts differently and that may be all it
takes to stop the flicker. Worth a try.

Hopefully MS will get around to resolving it someday, good luck...

hakl

Sep 11, 2007, 12:44:02 PM9/11/07
I am using now Intellipoint 4.0, no problem at all, (XP, all updates, non of
Intellipoint of course ;-))
also mouse button setting of the "ESC"-command works fine,
which is a problem working CAD and as MS had purged this option since IP 5.X

Ionut

Sep 24, 2007, 4:48:01 PM9/24/07
Unfortunately I have to agree with everything written on this forum so far;
among other things, indeed a lot of screen refresh problems are caused in
professional 3D applications (those using OpenGL I believe) by IntelliPoint >
5.5 software. If you are searching the Internet you will find that this issue
has been reported since the beginning of last year, and I cannot believe
Microsoft still hasn't done anything to address this issue. I used to be a
Microsoft hardware fan, but not anymore. Logitech seems to care a lot more of
their customers.
And this - for me is one of the reasons not to go the Vista way.

I own two Microsoft mouses - a simple "Wireless Optical 2.0" on my desktop
and a "Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000" which are both excellently
engineered pieces of hardware but their software support lacks badly. Except
the whistles and bells, of course...

I noticed the aforementioned problem, a very disturbing screen flickering in
a 3D-modeling software called Rhinoceros (widely used in architecture), and I
also noticed a strange error in Google Earth - the scroll wheel zoom works in
the opposite sense. These two issues are both specific to IntelliPoint
drivers; I'm having no such trouble with IntelliPoint 5.5 but I cannot use
any newer version.
Therefore no Windows Vista for me and I'm not the only mad professional in
my group.

I hope someone responsible from Microsoft reads this. They lost me as a
customer but they still have a lot more to lose.

Ionut

Sep 24, 2007, 4:52:01 PM9/24/07
Having similar problems here... The only way you can eliminate this problem
for good is by buying a Logitech.

irbrenda

Oct 5, 2007, 7:21:01 AM10/5/07
There's hope for us yet! As of October 2, 2007 there is finally a new
release of the software. I have installed the mouse software and there is NO
FLICKERING....YET!!

I don't know how to make links but here's the software versions:

Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.20.182.0 for Windows XP and Vista (32-bit and 64-bit)
IP32Eng6.20.182.0.exe (32-bit) 14.12 MB
IP64Eng6.20.182.0.exe (64-bit) 15.11 MB

Microsoft IntelliType Pro 6.20.182.0 for Windows XP and Vista (32-bit and
64-bit)
ITP32Eng6.20.182.0.exe (32-bit) 13.98 MB
ITP64Eng6.20.182.0.exe (64-bit) 14.97 MB

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseand...d/Download.mspx

irbrenda

Oct 5, 2007, 1:34:02 PM10/5/07
FORGET IT! I'M STILL DARN FLICKERING just not as badly. UGH................

Jason Tsang

Oct 6, 2007, 5:48:13 PM10/6/07
Where do you see Intellitype Pro version being updated? As far as I can
tell, it is still at version 6.1

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics
(and other topics that interest me)
http://jtsang.blogspot.com

More information by me
http://jtsang.mvps.org
http://www.classicsunveiled.com

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"irbrenda" <irbr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

irbrenda

Oct 9, 2007, 4:56:03 PM10/9/07
Jason, maybe I'm wrong but I cannot find it on Microsoft's website but here's
the link where I did find it:

http://filehippo.com/download_intellitype/

Tell me if this is correct but according to that site, this was released on
Oct 2d by MS. Can't figure out why I cannot find it any longer on their
website. Oh, well....

PS: I'm still flickering away! I think I'm getting used to it. That's
scary.

Bob I

Oct 10, 2007, 9:42:58 AM10/10/07

irbrenda

Oct 10, 2007, 10:40:00 AM10/10/07
Yes, that's the version I downloaded for my keyboard.

I just wish MS would have corrected the flickering with their latest update.
They are so well aware of the problem and yet it still exists, at least for
me.

Bob I

Oct 10, 2007, 11:06:13 AM10/10/07
Perhaps you need to consider the flickering is caused by the particular
video drivers you are using? If it was very wide spread then they would
have seen it in testing. Try reducing "hardware acceleration" on your
Display Settings. You will find it in Advanced button, Troubleshooting Tab.

cbaarch

Nov 6, 2007, 9:56:01 PM11/6/07

I was directed to change the intellipoint driver to version 5.0
first remove intellipoint 6.0 then install version 5.0
it is on the MS site if you do not have an earlier CD
it should install point32.exe instead of ipoint.exe

--
cbaarch
cbaarch's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=34482

Neil Wilkes

Nov 21, 2007, 3:57:02 AM11/21/07
This was bugging me for a couple of weeks - the flickering & shuddering was
most noticeable in all Adobe applications, but was also present in my Audio
applications. It essentially made a £2,900 system running over £40,000 worth
of software cloose to unusable.
Uninstalling Intellipoint 6.1 cured the issue, bt of course I lost all
additional button functionality. As I used to have CTRL set to Second Left &
ALT to Second Right, loss of usefulness makes this bug joke.
--
www.opusproductions.com
Multichannel Audio Specialists

NeverOutofTune

Nov 21, 2007, 9:49:00 PM11/21/07
Same for me. I have a Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000 and it requires
6.0 to operate so I can't even go down to 5.5. I have a HP NC6120 laptop
with XP Pro SP2 with all the latest HP drivers. I get flickering with
Cisco's ASDM gui ASA firewall manager.

I run AutoHotkey and have a script to toggle IPoint.exe on/off (kill and
run) tied to Ctrl-Alt-m.

Below is the script I grabbed off the net if anyone is interested:

Hotkey, ^!m, ToggleIpoint

ToggleIpoint:
Process, wait, ipoint.exe, 1
NewPID = %ErrorLevel% ; Save the value immediately since ErrorLevel is
often changed.
if NewPID = 0
{
run, C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
Msgbox ,262192,Microsoft Mouse,Ipoint.exe ON, 2
return
}
; Otherwise:

Process, priority, %NewPID%, Low
Process, priority, , High ; Have the script set itself to high priority.
Run, taskkill /F /IM %NewPID%,,hide
Msgbox ,262208,Microsoft Mouse,Ipoint.exe OFF, 2
Process, WaitClose, %NewPID%, 3
if ErrorLevel ; The PID still exists.
MsgBox Microsoft Ipoint Mouse Program did not close
return

Flickerfixer

Jan 9, 2008, 9:43:02 AM1/9/08
I've got the same problem with the newest version of the Intellipoint
software. I'm using Windows XP. I've noticed a short flickering after
switching back to the program using the taskbar in several programs e.g.
WinRAR...
Now I will uninstall the Intellipoint Software and waiting for a bugfix.

Jerry

Jan 9, 2008, 5:10:30 PM1/9/08
Latest IntelliPoint is 6.2

"Flickerfixer" <Flicke...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

matt

Jan 13, 2008, 10:29:00 AM1/13/08

i am having the same problem and found no upgrades for this problem!
it is now jan,13 2008 !
i will probably get rid of this mouse and board and go back to wire
screw it!
i am experimenting with snoop shield 1.0.7 (free version) google it!
i dont want to remove the files for intellipoint yet.
lets see if i can control this!

fix this Microsoft time is money!

matt

Jan 13, 2008, 10:35:02 AM1/13/08

"Rich D" wrote:

> I'm also having this problem. Images in Photoshop periodically flicker and it
> makes me want to rip out my eyes...sorry for the graphic reply hehe. The
> problem is just annoying.

i am having the same problem and found no upgrades for this problem!

matt

Jan 13, 2008, 10:45:01 AM1/13/08

Badge767

Jan 23, 2008, 1:46:02 PM1/23/08
Matt,

I had the same issue with IntelliPoint 6.xx

I unistalled that, and reverted back to 5.5.

This seems to have cleared up the flicker issues I was having in Photoshop
and AutoCAD.

It may be worth a try for you to revert back to 5.5.

It seems to have the same features as 6.xx (at least it still supporst my
Wireless 6000 mouse.)

tidalwarrior

Apr 5, 2008, 3:14:00 AM4/5/08
I hope that you get this message since I'm replying to an old post. When you
installed the 5.0 version did you lose the instant viewer and zoom feature?
I have the same wireless desktop 6000 and I am dealing w/ the same exact
issue. Microsoft really needs to work on their quality control. I had to
uninstall the software completely. I'll try that version 5 and hopefully I
can get the same features.

Ricky

"Opinicus" wrote:

> "Rick" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > I downloaded that
> > update 6.1 or 6.2 intellipoint last week. This was the cause! I removed it
> > in
> > startup & wow! The flickering was gone! No more fast refresh in limewire,
> > no
> > more photo flickering in photoshop & no more dragging shadowing. I felt so
> > relieved! I removed the intellipoint program & downloaded the 5.0 version
> > again & all is fine again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!
>
> Let me get this straight: v 6.1 CAUSES the flickering?
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

tidalwarrior

Apr 5, 2008, 4:33:00 AM4/5/08

I've installed intellitype 6.2 w/ the mouse 5.0 software and so far I
haven't had any problems w/ the instant viewer. If I continue to have this
luck, I think the keyboard and mouse software are doing duplicated refreshing
of the previews and that could be causing a conflict. I really like the
instant viewer so hopefully I can keep on using it. If anyone is still
viewing this thread let me know if you're having the same luck.

Ricky

hakl

Apr 7, 2008, 2:01:00 PM4/7/08
Just had a look to the thread...

Beside the flicker, i also wnat to use the FREE definition of mouse buttons,
also ESC.
Is that working at your config? I have still the 4.0 version.
(
--
Gruß, klaus hafner

Skynet

Apr 15, 2008, 12:08:00 PM4/15/08
Version 6.2 Doesn't solve this issue too.
Yes, it's absurd that a problem which goes back to 2006 has not been fixed
yet.
Anyway IP 5.5 works fine, even with the lastest mouses which are not listed.

JCX

Apr 18, 2008, 5:14:15 PM4/18/08
Intellpoint 6.+ is so incompatible with all new Autodesk / Autocad products
that our office going to have to scrap a whole fleet of Microsoft 5 button
mice. This has been going on for a while and still no action. Unreal.

Ronin

Jun 22, 2008, 2:49:01 AM6/22/08
I've never installed installed Ver 6.2, yet it says it's on my computer... õ_O

I had a Logitech Keyboard and Mouse formerly and recently replaced it
because it was a piece of crap that even Logitech admits on their website
that it's unstable and stops working and they can't fix the problem...

Well, I purchased a Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 4000 Keyboard/Mouse
combo pack earlier today. I'm trying to install the IntelliPoint Ver 6.2 that
came with it and there's a problem. It's telling me that it's already
installed and that I would need to uninstall the older version before I can
install this new version. Ok, that's all fine and good, but I can't install
what's not really there. In Add/Remove programs, it's listed, but there is NO
option to Uninstall/Remove it. So now what ??

"34Ford" wrote:

> Finally after several months of flickering and getting pissed off installing
> ipoint 5.5 fixed it and my laser 5000 works.
> The 6.1 and 6.2 both were flickering. Bunch of junk.
> Here MS is trying to buyout Yahoo when they need to pay their programmers.

stupidmouse

Aug 14, 2008, 7:35:03 PM8/14/08

"Folk" wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2006 12:58:42 -0800, "Holger Strunzelbeck"

> <superc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I just learned that the new Intellipoint Software which was shipped
> >with my new MS Laser Desktop 6000 causes excessive screen flickering.
> >It's ipoint.exe in particular.
> >
> >This seems to originate from the "Window-Viewer" functionality, which
> >can be assigned to a mousebutton. This Window-Viewer function is taking
> >screenshots all the time from every program running, to build the
> >special screen upon them.
> >
> >Even if the Window-Viewer functionality is not assigned, the problem
> >keeps existing.
> >
> >So, this is really really annoying while working with PhotoShop or
> >other programs - in particular programs, which don't refresh their
> >screens all the time (TheBat! 2.x for example where the toolbar-buttons
> >in a message window keep disappearing until I move the window around
> >again.)
> >
> >With ipoint.exe running, it's impossible for me to work with PhotoShop.
> >Selection boxes are vanishing from screen while still dragging the
> >mouse with every flicker, and so on..
> >
> >It's happening here on XPSP2 with a Radon9800Pro with Catalyst 6.7.
> >
> >Anyone else having these problems? Or anyone who knows how I can
> >eliminate the flickering?
>

> Same problem here Holger. Using the latest Intellipoint software and
> the (new) Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 mouse. I found this thread while
> researching the problem.
>
> At least now I know it's not some sort of weird display driver
> conflict, since I'm using an Nvidia card with it's latest drivers
> (93.71).
>
> If I find a solution, I'll post it here. In the meantime, using
> MSCONFIG to disable "ipoint.exe" seems to be the only solution that
> works.
>
> I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this problem?
>
> And how did you determine that it's the Window-Viewer stuff that's
> causing the problem? It sounds reasonable, but I'm curious how you
> came to that conclusion.

Its been over a year since I purchased my Microsoft Notebook Laser Mouse
6000 and till now Microsoft haven't been able to come up with a patch for
this issue!

Doing a quick search online, it becomes apparent that this issue have plague
the intellipoint software for as long as it has been around the many
solutions such as the one stated at http://dotdoh.com/?p=233 are only
temporary fixes that kill the intellipoint software.

This is far from an ideal solutions since one of the reason for the purchase
of the more expensive microsoft mouse was the ability to side scroll which is
now disabled due to the lack of the ipoint software

Frenchy

Oct 2, 2008, 4:14:01 AM10/2/08
After looking at many posts, and finding no resolution, it seems that I may
have found an answer.
I installed Microsoft's (comfort optical 3000) mouse, just as instructed,
prior to plugging in the mouse. When I did this, I got screen flickering,
real bad.

I searched the web, for answers and found none. I then went to the
installation directory [program files/Microsoft intellipoint/Models], and got
rid of all of the other models, EXCEPT for my model.

After trying updates that did nothing for the flicker, and other things,
THIS at least for me, has seemed to totally get rid of the flickering in all
the programs I've run.

I've also noticed in one post, that there is a new version of driver, (6.3)
which I have no apparent need if I have no issues. (my version is v6.2)

I don't know if this will work for other models, but it's one thing that
works for me.

--
The French Canadian

Frenchy

Oct 2, 2008, 7:52:08 AM10/2/08

The French Canadian

"Frenchy" wrote:
I originally thought getting rid of some files, corrected the problem, in
[program files/Microsoft Intellipoint/Models]
had cured my problem, and it did for awhile, but the flickering is back.

Jason Tsang

Oct 3, 2008, 9:28:02 PM10/3/08
Did you try the new version of Intellipoint?

IntelliPoint and IntelliType Pro 6.3 released for Microsoft Mice and
Keyboards
http://blog.jasontsang.ca/2008/09/intellipoint-and-intellitype-pro-63.html

Also ensure that you've installed the latest video card driver for your
video card.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics
(and other topics that interest me)
http://jtsang.blogspot.com

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"stupidmouse" <stupi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frenchy

Oct 5, 2008, 12:54:00 PM10/5/08
Thanks for your input, and I have tried installing this version, with an
error that even though I have a dual core AMD 64 processor, it seems that I
am running under 32 bit mode. My operating system indicates that it is an 86
family of processors.
I let Windows setup, do all the installations, so I have no idea why I don't
seem to be running in 64 bit mode. (not that that will clear my flickering
problem), just another "glitch".
I did update to intellipoint v.6.0, with no change in the flickering.
--
The French Canadian

Jason Tsang

Oct 5, 2008, 1:06:10 PM10/5/08
You're only in 64 bit mode if your OS is a 64 bit OS.

Even though your CPU is capable of running in 64 bit, if it is running a 32
bit OS, then you should be using the 32 bit version of
Intellipoint/Intellitype Pro.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics
(and other topics that interest me)
http://jtsang.blogspot.com

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Frenchy" <Fre...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frenchy

Oct 5, 2008, 1:19:01 PM10/5/08
As I mentioned, the 64 bit intellipoint software won't install, so I AM
running the latest version of mouse driver in 32 bit mode, which is where
I've had this flickering problem.
ps. that was a fast response; thanks

Jason Tsang

Oct 5, 2008, 5:48:09 PM10/5/08
The 64 bit version won't install if you aren't running a 64 bit OS.
What OS are you running. It sounds like a 32 bit OS (which a 64 bit capable
chip is perfectly capable of running).

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics
(and other topics that interest me)
http://jtsang.blogspot.com

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Frenchy" <Fre...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Michael

Nov 18, 2008, 3:58:48 AM11/18/08
Unbelievable! That costed me hours to find out that the damned
ipoint.exe causes the flickering. I couldn't work in Photoshop
anymore.

It can't be possible that MS is not able to fix this problem!!! It
seems that they are simple not interested to fix that problem. Who
cares about an Adobe product like Photoshop, umh?

F.U. Microsoft!

This will be the last time I bought a Microsoft mouse. Damn you for
all the wasted time.

Tickler

Dec 2, 2008, 1:12:03 PM12/2/08
I cannot believe after all this time, after all these posts, that a viable
solution has not been presented. Video drivers, downloads, blah, blah.

The flickering continues even after buying the wireless 4000 keyboard with
the 5000 mouse (6.2 software). And the issue is not my video drivers.

Bob I

Dec 2, 2008, 1:22:53 PM12/2/08