PS/2 Mouse & Keyboard Don't Work

Ticked

Sep 8, 2004, 12:03:15 PM9/8/04
While trying to install a new HP PSC-1315xi printer on my computer, my PS/2
mouse and keyboard became disabled. This occurred while I was installing the
printer utilizing the HP supplied installation CD. I was nearing the end of
this process when the installation software instructed me to connect the USB
cable to my printer. Upon doing so, my mouse and keyboard no longer
responded. Since I could do nothing without my mouse or keyboard responding,
I shut down power to the computer and did a hard reboot. During startup, the
computer made an abnormal clicking noise, but started up normally into
Windows XP Home Edition and my user selection screen appeared. However,
again neither my mouse nor my keyboard responded. I then tried to reboot the
computer into safe mode, however the computer does not recognize the keyboard
even during start up and I can not. I then disconnected the USB printer
cable from the computer and rebooted. This had no effect as the computer
started up with the abnormal clicking noise, but the mouse and keyboard still
did not respond. I then turned off the computer, disconnected the power and
rebooted the computer. This had no effect as the computer started up with
the abnormal clicking noise, but the mouse and keyboard still did not
respond. I then tried booting the computer into safe mode and was unable to
do so since the keyboard does not function even during start up. I tried a
USB mouse on the machine and it won’t work either. I tried booting up with a
MS DOS diskette, but the keyboard still wouldn’t work. Please help me. How
can I do anything to correct the problem without either the mouse or keyboard
functioning even during startup? FYI, my computer is a Sony desktop
delivered with Windows Me operating system upgraded to Windows XP Home
Edition.

Nathan McNulty

Sep 8, 2004, 4:42:27 PM9/8/04
It sounds like your keyboard is dead or worse, the PS2 port on your
motherboard is dead. If you are unable to use the keyboard before
Windows loads, it is not an OS thing. I would buy or borrow a cheap USB
keyboard, boot up to XP without any keyboards or mice connected, then
plug in the USB keyboard after XP has loaded.

----
Nathan McNulty