Dell Inspiron 7000 Not Compatible with XP ???

Knox

Dec 18, 2001, 11:42:04 AM12/18/01
I don't know why Dell told you that it wouldn't work but
I upgraded my Ispiron 7000 and I love it. I even found
updated drivers for the touchpad, ATI video card, and the
ESS sound card. I even have DVD working flawlessly in
WMP. I say go for it.

laptop
>everyday, and can't afford to screw it up -- if there is
>no chance that XP will work on it.
>
>Anyone know why Dell says it won't work? thanks.
>.

Terra

Dec 18, 2001, 11:43:01 AM12/18/01
Dell probably just doesn't want the calls &/or support it

I've done i3200, 3500 & 7500 with XP and they worked fine
XP has basic support for the video, sound & touchpad and some updates are
available from component mfg's
www.esstech.com
www.synaptics.com
w2k video drivers work ok

general caveats if you try
get latest Bios
undock if you have a dock
eject all Pccards
connect AC power & leave battery in
don't upgrade do a fresh from format install
update any internal component drivers
then PnP Pccards & Hot dock

hth
Terra

"Bill Havel" <bi...@ebusiness-advantage.com> wrote in message

Bob Ross

Dec 18, 2001, 2:08:50 PM12/18/01
It may be Dell has bios concerns they don't want to work with for whatever
reason. The XP upgrade kit for my 4000, new in June, had a bios flash to be
performed first. Then a disc of utilities. A set of warning/instructions
about the sequence of the upgrade procedure was included. They did a good
job on the upgrade kit for me.

Just a possibility.

Bob

Al Dolgins

Dec 24, 2001, 9:45:18 AM12/24/01
I am running XP Home on my Inspiron 7000 300 MHZ with 320 Meg of
memory. I did a clean install and it works flawlessly. Everything
works with the exception of the DVD decoder card. Check Dell forums
for others that have also upgraded to XP.

Matt Koval

Dec 29, 2001, 10:00:12 AM12/29/01
Where did you get the ATI drivers? I cannot find any
updates for my Inspiron 5000 ATI card, otherwise Win XP
working great.

>.

Terra

Dec 29, 2001, 10:21:39 AM12/29/01
XP, ATI drivers for the M3/4 "i5000e" are available at Dell
Windows update "Catalog" has other reference drivers available for earlier
versions
read carefully before you try them

get more info on the Dell i5000 family here
http://www.envytech.co.uk/5000e/

hth
Terra

"Matt Koval" <kod...@home.com> wrote in message