Registry cleaner recommendation?

Skip to the first unread message

mm

11 Oct 2010, 21:03:5311/10/2010
Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.

I used to have one that took every registry entry in turn that
referred to a file and looked for that file. That's the kind of
process I would like to do.

Regcleaner is very famous, but I can't figure out how to do that with
it. If not, some other program would be fine.

Also an you tell me if Regcleaner by Jouni Vuorio lets you look at the
entries before it removes them, even if you have specified a program.
I'm sure it does, but the readme file doesn't say.

Thanks a lot, MM

Background:
Normally I don't run any registry cleaner, because of the
discouragement I get here and other newsgroups.

But this time, I have netbook that I just devirusied for a friend and
a) AVG Free 11 says it has almost 500 bad registry entries. It
doesn't provide for removing them (probalby want you to buy
something). It does display the location, although not the key or
value. That's not enough for me to know if it is bad or not.

b) this it the last maintenance it will get for a long time. The owner
doesn't do anything but use it.

c) I figure some of the entries may well be for viruses I deleted,
OTOH, what difference does it make if I deleted them. If she gets a
new virus, it will make its own entry in the registry.

kerneldebugger

11 Oct 2010, 21:13:0811/10/2010

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

I recommend CCleaner based upon many years of satisfactory use,
and never a problem.

http://www.piriform.com/

Ken Blake, MVP

11 Oct 2010, 21:39:3711/10/2010
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:03:53 -0400, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

> Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.

I *strongly* recommend against *all* registry cleaners.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

and http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

and also
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2005/10/02/registry-junk-a-windows-fact-of-life.aspx

Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns against the
use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause
problems. If they always caused problems, they would disappear from
the market almost immediately. Many people have used a registry
cleaner and never had a problem with it.

Rather, the problem with a registry cleaner is that it carries with it
the substantial *risk* of having a problem. And since there is no
benefit to using a registry cleaner, running that risk is a very bad
bargain.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Tester

11 Oct 2010, 22:32:5111/10/2010

kerneldebugger wrote:

> I recommend CCleaner based upon many years of satisfactory use,
> and never a problem.
>
> http://www.piriform.com/

Always download the slim version so that you don't have all the useless
toolbar with the installation:

<http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim>

hth

John Doe

11 Oct 2010, 22:46:0011/10/2010
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake kb.invalid> wrote:

> mm <NOPSAMmm2005 bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>> Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.

> Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns

> against the use of registry cleaners has ever said that they
> always cause problems.

If yours is a form reply, you should change that part to something
that sounds realistic. Maybe a little less wordy too.

> And since there is no benefit to using a registry cleaner

None?
--

> running that risk is a very bad bargain.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> From: "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake kb.invalid>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> Subject: Re: Registry cleaner recommendation?
> Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:39:37 -0700

Bill in Co

11 Oct 2010, 23:23:2511/10/2010
John Doe wrote:
> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake kb.invalid> wrote:
>
>> mm <NOPSAMmm2005 bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.
>
>> Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns
>> against the use of registry cleaners has ever said that they
>> always cause problems.
>
> If yours is a form reply, you should change that part to something
> that sounds realistic. Maybe a little less wordy too.
>
>> And since there is no benefit to using a registry cleaner
>
> None?
> --

Well, I can think of at least one "benefit" to using an automatic, "one
button does it all", non-interactive registry cleaner: You just may get to
test the reliability of your backup (image or clone) program, in case you've
haven't had that "opportunity" yet. :-)

mm

11 Oct 2010, 23:27:1111/10/2010

Wow. Well don't I feel stupid. She already has CCleaner installed,
and I used it after I got windows to start, and again later, but I
didn't see any registry stuff. I looked and looked. Even after I
read your post I didn't see it, and I had to go to the website to see
what the currennt version is. There I noticed that the current
version isn't much higher than hers, and the logo for the registry,
and then I looked again and found the logo on the screen. Maybe I'm
not stupid but I am slow.

It only found about 112 issues. Even though everything in the left
column is checked, although maybe it counts differently, if there is
away to do that.

It will take me a while to compare this list with the AVG list.

She would never have installed anything, but when her father was sick,
her brother-in-law bought two identical computers and got the computer
department where he works to set them up. Because she has only 16
gigs of solid state memory, I guess someone thought there should be a
way to get rid of anything not needed.

She has 3.5 empty gig on the 16 gig C: drive, and basically 2 gig
empty on the 2 gig built in USB E: drive.

Thanks!

John Doe

11 Oct 2010, 23:39:5011/10/2010
"Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon earthlink.net> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:

>>> Let me point out that neither I nor anyone else who warns
>>> against the use of registry cleaners has ever said that they
>>> always cause problems.
>>
>> If yours is a form reply, you should change that part to
>> something that sounds realistic. Maybe a little less wordy too.
>>
>>> And since there is no benefit to using a registry cleaner
>>
>> None?
>

> Well, I can think of at least one "benefit" to using an
> automatic, "one button does it all", non-interactive registry
> cleaner: You just may get to test the reliability of your
> backup (image or clone) program, in case you've haven't had that
> "opportunity" yet. :-)

I have taken advantage of many opportunities to use a known good
copy of Windows. And a backup copy is what makes my system
extremely flexible. I have used the mentioned registry cleaner and
do not recall experiencing a problem that I could attribute to it.
So the question remains.

mm

11 Oct 2010, 23:43:3211/10/2010

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I've avoided toolbars since one of
them messed me up, (although I got rid of it with the alt/View/Toolbar
option). I think if I took all the toolbars offered, there would be
all bars and no space left on my screen.

>hth

mm

11 Oct 2010, 23:43:5711/10/2010
On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:13:08 -0700, "kerneldebugger"
<number...@microshaft.net> wrote:

Wow. Well don't I feel stupid. She already has CCleaner installed,

mm

11 Oct 2010, 23:46:5111/10/2010
My first, bottom posted answer doesn't show up, though I've posted it
twice. This is topposted so I can tell the difference.

[...]

Ken, I havent' done this yet. I'll think about what you said.

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:13:08 -0700, "kerneldebugger"

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 00:21:1612/10/2010

And you've been somewhat lucky. So many in here have posted over time
about the problems they've had after running them (you can check this out if
you're so inclined). But you really gain nothing, and do risk something
showing up sooner, or often later. (unless you know exactly what you are
doing, and can do it yourself manually (e.g: using regedit), to potentially
fix some specific anomaly).

But over time, I've had some firsthand experiences with some "issues"
created by registry cleaners, even ones supposedly as "safe" as the good
ole, Microsoft "Regclean" (which messed up my Netscape quite a bit). So
even Microsoft's "Regclean" had some issues (which is evidently why it was
removed by MS, and that was a long time ago).

mm

12 Oct 2010, 00:35:5012/10/2010

wrote:

>Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.

>I used to have one that took every registry entry in turn that
>referred to a file and looked for that file. That's the kind of
>process I would like to do.
>
>Regcleaner is very famous, but I can't figure out how to do that with
>it. If not, some other program would be fine.
>
>Also an you tell me if Regcleaner by Jouni Vuorio lets you look at the
>entries before it removes them, even if you have specified a program.
>I'm sure it does, but the readme file doesn't say.
>
>Thanks a lot, MM

Wow, what should I make of this?

I tried to compare the registry checking results of AVG Free and of
CCleaner.

It wan't easy because their categories have little similarity.

But in the process, in CCcleaner, at the end, I found three items
labeled Missing Startup Softeware.

Two of them were Verizon programs, and she and I both use Verizon DSL.
The other was sttray.exe.

Now I know the startup pretty well, because I've been devirusing her
computer and I also went through her startup files very carefully, and
unchecked several program in msconfig that didn't relate to her needs.

But these three were important, and so just now I followed their
directory struccture, and all three of them were there, where the
registry and msconfig said they were!!! And they weren't zero
length, either. One was two megs. They were all listed under
HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\currentversion\Run .

In what way were they Missing Startup Software??

Then I looked in the AVG list, and two of them were there, too!!! And
there was a third one there under startup, but it only gave the
Registry address, Run\SystrayApp. That might be the same as sttray,
but I'm not sure.

Unless you can explain this to me, it shakes my faith in both AVG and
CCleaner!!!

Tester

12 Oct 2010, 00:52:5712/10/2010

> I tried to compare the registry checking results of AVG Free and of
> CCleaner.

First you are not comparing like with like. AVG is an Anti-virus
software; Ccleaner is a tool to clear all the temp files and cache left
by Browsers. Cleaner can also safely remove orphaned registry entries
without affecting the performance of your system. Some people don't use
this particular aspect of Ccleaner because people like Ken Blake keeps
telling them to stay away from this. I have had no problems and I
always use it on my system once a month.

Ccleaner also has a "Tools" item that can allow you to uninstall
programs that cannot be uninstalled with Windows uninstall process.

If you don't have any trouble with your system then you don't need to
use anything. We always say if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

HTH

milt

12 Oct 2010, 00:55:5012/10/2010
On 10/11/2010 10:23 PM, Bill in Co wrote:

> Well, I can think of at least one "benefit" to using an automatic, "one
> button does it all", non-interactive registry cleaner: You just may get to
> test the reliability of your backup (image or clone) program, in case you've
> haven't had that "opportunity" yet. :-)

Bahahaha nice. Finally, someone has found a use for those useless
registry cleaners!

milt

12 Oct 2010, 00:58:3212/10/2010
On 10/11/2010 8:03 PM, mm wrote:
> Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.

No such thing. There is no need or benefit to registry "cleaners". It
does not need to be "cleaned" or "optimized". Best case, you might gain
a few milliseconds here and there when the computer scans the registry
for whatever it may need. Worst case, your computer becomes a corrupted
mess.

mm

12 Oct 2010, 01:06:3812/10/2010

I don't get it. Can you use any registry cleaner/checker on a
registry that is not the registry in use? Don't you have to boot
with the clone partition to get a registry cleaner to tell you if the
clone registrry is good or not? And if you booted with it, it must be
pretty good, right?

It would be nice if you could specify which is the registry file.
Someone else posted a need for that somewhere -- I can't remember what
it was -- but does any program allow that?

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 01:08:3812/10/2010

Yup.
Houston, I think we have liftoff. :-)
A word to the wise is sufficient.

mm

12 Oct 2010, 01:09:5412/10/2010
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 05:52:57 +0100, Tester <tes...@msnews.com> wrote:

>> I tried to compare the registry checking results of AVG Free and of
>> CCleaner.
>>

>First you are not comparing like with like. AVG is an Anti-virus
>software;

There not as unlike as you imply. AVG Free 11 has a new section
called PC Analyser, and it will list Registry Errors, Junk Files,
Fragmentation, and Broken Shortcuts. It shows 495 registry errors.

>Ccleaner is a tool to clear all the temp files and cache left
>by Browsers. Cleaner can also safely remove orphaned registry entries
>without affecting the performance of your system. Some people don't use
>this particular aspect of Ccleaner because people like Ken Blake keeps
>telling them to stay away from this.

Well it's not just Ken in this case. Did you see that of the 112
issues that CCleaner found, 3 of them that I noticed looked like they
weren't issues at all. You snipped most of my previous post but I
explained it there.

> I have had no problems and I
>always use it on my system once a month.

That's really not proof it won't hurt me, right? I have one aunt who
lived to 102 and another who died of cancer when she was 50.

>Ccleaner also has a "Tools" item that can allow you to uninstall
>programs that cannot be uninstalled with Windows uninstall process.
>
>If you don't have any trouble with your system then you don't need to
>use anything. We always say if it ain't broken, don't fix it!

Then why do you run CCleaneer once a month? :-)

>HTH

Tester

12 Oct 2010, 01:13:3112/10/2010

mm wrote:

> There not as unlike as you imply. AVG Free 11 has a new section
> called PC Analyser, and it will list Registry Errors, Junk Files,
> Fragmentation, and Broken Shortcuts. It shows 495 registry errors.

Ignore that completely because their experience is limited in such things.

mm

12 Oct 2010, 01:17:1812/10/2010

Okay, so it's wrong. Now I'm incredibly curious why both programs are
wrong in the same way, and how they could be wrong. How they could
possibly be wrong.

Doesn't the program just check for the existence of the file named in
the registry. If I can find it, why can't the program?

"If exist" and "If not exist" are conditions I see almost everywhere,
in languages 20 years old, at least.

(I know I should go look at the entry and maybe I'll see something,
but it's late.)

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 01:39:2712/10/2010

The bottom line is, there is no *program* that can do this (guarantee the
condition of a registry, and find all allegedly bogus or spurious entries
with 100% certainty). It would have to have an IQ of 10,000, and an
unlimited database of any and all programs ever written, and what they
install), to ever be able to do it. It's impossible.

Sometimes programs leave seemingly bogus or spurious entries in there (like
for copy protection purposes, as just one example), and a registry cleaner
is not able to know that.

Sure, a registry cleaner can potentially could find some references to files
that are no longer on the disk at the moment, but the question then becomes,
what do you do with that information? Simply remove the reference? Well,
maybe that's safe in this case, and maybe it isn't (like for the reasons I
just mentioned). And removing the reference accomplishes nothing, except
potentially place you at risk later on when some program doesn't work right
anymore.

The bottom line is: don't mess with it. You gain nothing, and do risk
something, today, tomorrow, or when you open up some other program you
haven't used in awhile that needed some keys in the registry that were
removed by some dumb automated registry cleaner.

If you want to (safely) mess with something, I'd suggest running a disk
defrag. I do that a lot, and unlike a registry cleaner, it's pretty
innoculous.

milt

12 Oct 2010, 06:29:3312/10/2010

Yup, its also been shown that registry "cleaners" find a ton of errors
in a freshly installed system, before the person has installed a thing,
now, how could that be possible? Simple, it can't! Unless one believes
MS doesn't know how to get their own OS to install without putting junk
in the registry, and that seems very highly improbable!

Seems this one is learning..

Peter Foldes

12 Oct 2010, 09:26:5912/10/2010
mm

All registry Cleaners are snake oil remedies. It is a fallacy that your system will
speed up and run faster and you will save a lot of space.
All it is good for is to make your computer inoperable.
You will find people posting that they have been using Registry Cleaning tools for a
long time without any problems. This is not true . It is a Russian Roulette tool
which when lucky nothing will happen and when unlucky then obviously you know the
result.
Yesterday on one of the MS Forums there was a OP who posted that he used the
Registry Tool of Cleaner and he is not able to start up his girlfriend computer
after the use. He was one that always boasted that Registry cleaners is the tool to
use .
Go figure,he finally found the Russian Roulette that was very evasive according to
him

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

John Doe

12 Oct 2010, 10:11:1112/10/2010
"Peter Foldes" <okf22 hotmail.com> wrote:

> mm
>
> All registry Cleaners are snake oil remedies.

I have a feeling the writer has no idea what that means.

> It is a fallacy that your system will speed up and run faster
> and you will save a lot of space. All it is good for is to make
> your computer inoperable. You will find people posting that they
> have been using Registry Cleaning tools for a long time without
> any problems. This is not true .

There is no way to know that. One thing is clear, that there are
some anti-registry-cleaner zealots out there, judging by some of
the silly rhetoric.

I have used registry cleaners off and on for a long time. I
suppose there was a problem at some time, but I have had lots
worse memorable problems with other things.

> It is a Russian Roulette tool

Yes, the poster probably does know what that means.

Anyway...
--

> which when lucky nothing will happen and when unlucky then obviously you know the
> result.
> Yesterday on one of the MS Forums there was a OP who posted that he used the
> Registry Tool of Cleaner and he is not able to start up his girlfriend computer
> after the use. He was one that always boasted that Registry cleaners is the tool to
> use .
> Go figure,he finally found the Russian Roulette that was very evasive according to
> him
>
> --
> Peter
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> From: "Peter Foldes" <okf22 hotmail.com>

> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
> Subject: Re: Registry cleaner recommendation?

> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 09:26:59 -0400

Nil

12 Oct 2010, 13:04:3212/10/2010
On 12 Oct 2010, milt <theatre_n...@miltsweb.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Yup, its also been shown that registry "cleaners" find a ton of
> errors in a freshly installed system, before the person has
> installed a thing, now, how could that be possible? Simple, it
> can't! Unless one believes MS doesn't know how to get their own OS
> to install without putting junk in the registry, and that seems
> very highly improbable!

Not improbably at all. It's almost certain that there are plenty of
unneeded, unnecessary registry entries in a freshly installed Windows
system.

choro

12 Oct 2010, 13:05:1812/10/2010
"John Doe" <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message

> "Peter Foldes" <okf22 hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> mm
>>
>> All registry Cleaners are snake oil remedies.
>
> I have a feeling the writer has no idea what that means.
>
>> It is a fallacy that your system will speed up and run faster
>> and you will save a lot of space. All it is good for is to make
>> your computer inoperable. You will find people posting that they
>> have been using Registry Cleaning tools for a long time without
>> any problems. This is not true .
>
> There is no way to know that. One thing is clear, that there are
> some anti-registry-cleaner zealots out there, judging by some of
> the silly rhetoric.
>
> I have used registry cleaners off and on for a long time. I
> suppose there was a problem at some time, but I have had lots
> worse memorable problems with other things.

Such as automatic MS updates, perhaps?! ;-)
--
choro
*****

mm

12 Oct 2010, 13:33:2912/10/2010

Well, if it's not improbable, for me that leaves the question, Why?

Nil

12 Oct 2010, 15:36:3712/10/2010
On 12 Oct 2010, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Well, if it's not improbable, for me that leaves the question,
> Why?

There are lots of reasons it could happen. Microsoft's programmers are
only human, and they are working in a segmented, bureaucratic
environment that's trying to pump out stuff fast, not necessarily
cleanly or elegantly. If it works and doesn't cause problems, they can
just leave the stuff there. If there are programming vagaries left from
no longer employed programmers, they may figure it's better to leave
the stuff in there rather than run the risk if breaking something else.
Etc.

kerneldebugger

12 Oct 2010, 17:45:4312/10/2010
I hope that you noticed that CCleaner offered you a chance to backup the
registry before you cleaned it. That's a nice feature, but I've never had
to use the backup and I've run CCleaner hundreds of times on quite a few
different computers. I've installed CCleaner on quite a few PCs where the
owners complained about the PC being slow, and it solved most of the
problems, except of course viruses.

The experts may be right, and they are much more knowledgeable than I...it
may not help, but it surely doesn't hurt and it's fun, if nothing else,
watching all the useless keys getting kicked out. CCleaner is also very
good for cleanng out temporary folders, history, et al, that never get
cleaned without a 3rd party program. XP Disk Cleanup doesn't get them all;
notice all the options in CCleaner. Any old version will work just fine,
I've been using CCleaner 229 since it came out with no problems.

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 18:12:1612/10/2010
kerneldebugger wrote:
> I hope that you noticed that CCleaner offered you a chance to backup the
> registry before you cleaned it. That's a nice feature, but I've never had
> to use the backup and I've run CCleaner hundreds of times on quite a few
> different computers. I've installed CCleaner on quite a few PCs where
> the
> owners complained about the PC being slow, and it solved most of the
> problems, except of course viruses.
>
> The experts may be right, and they are much more knowledgeable than I...it
> may not help,

> but it surely doesn't hurt

Nonsense.
But you may be right that in your own limited uses, it may not have hurt
your system.

> and it's fun, if nothing else,
> watching all the useless keys getting kicked out.

Only trouble is, they're NOT always "useless", as you wrote.
But as I said, "a word to the wise is sufficient". We can leave at that.

> CCleaner is also very
> good for cleanng out temporary folders, history, et al, that never get
> cleaned without a 3rd party program.

Never? Well, maybe not for you, but I can do it when I feel the need. :-)

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 18:13:1012/10/2010
choro wrote:
> "John Doe" <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22 hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> mm
>>>
>>> All registry Cleaners are snake oil remedies.
>>
>> I have a feeling the writer has no idea what that means.
>>
>>> It is a fallacy that your system will speed up and run faster
>>> and you will save a lot of space. All it is good for is to make
>>> your computer inoperable. You will find people posting that they
>>> have been using Registry Cleaning tools for a long time without
>>> any problems. This is not true .
>>
>> There is no way to know that. One thing is clear, that there are
>> some anti-registry-cleaner zealots out there, judging by some of
>> the silly rhetoric.
>>
>> I have used registry cleaners off and on for a long time. I
>> suppose there was a problem at some time, but I have had lots
>> worse memorable problems with other things.
>
> Such as automatic MS updates, perhaps?! ;-)

Those too. Automatic or not, in large part.

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 18:17:4212/10/2010
John Doe wrote:
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22 hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> mm
>>
>> All registry Cleaners are snake oil remedies.
>
> I have a feeling the writer has no idea what that means.
>
>> It is a fallacy that your system will speed up and run faster
>> and you will save a lot of space. All it is good for is to make
>> your computer inoperable. You will find people posting that they
>> have been using Registry Cleaning tools for a long time without
>> any problems. This is not true .
>
> There is no way to know that. One thing is clear, that there are
> some anti-registry-cleaner zealots out there, judging by some of
> the silly rhetoric.

The only reason you think it's silly is due to your own limited experience.

> I have used registry cleaners off and on for a long time.

Good for you, although your experience is just for one (which is a pretty
limited sample size). I suppose though one can choose to ignore many other
posted experiences, however, and thus live in a shell.

> I suppose there was a problem at some time, but I have had lots
> worse memorable problems with other things.
>
>> It is a Russian Roulette tool

Indeed.

SC Tom

12 Oct 2010, 19:11:5612/10/2010

"kerneldebugger" <number...@microshaft.net> wrote in message

>I hope that you noticed that CCleaner offered you a chance to backup the
>registry before you cleaned it. That's a nice feature, but I've never had
>to use the backup and I've run CCleaner hundreds of times on quite a few
>different computers. I've installed CCleaner on quite a few PCs where the
>owners complained about the PC being slow, and it solved most of the
>problems, except of course viruses.
>
> The experts may be right, and they are much more knowledgeable than I...it
> may not help, but it surely doesn't hurt and it's fun, if nothing else,
> watching all the useless keys getting kicked out. CCleaner is also very
> good for cleanng out temporary folders, history, et al, that never get
> cleaned without a 3rd party program. XP Disk Cleanup doesn't get them
> all; notice all the options in CCleaner. Any old version will work just
> fine, I've been using CCleaner 229 since it came out with no problems.

I'll reply to you, but this example is really for all the posters who
think there can be no harm caused by CCleaner or other similar programs.

A few years ago, when I was the IT guy for a small company, I had 3
desktop PC's that were seriously slow. Took forever to open IE, any Office
program, any network resource. I went through almost every KB article
dealing with these problems, and frequented numerous web sites and news
groups. No joy.
Then one of the IT guys in Ohio recommended trying CCleaner (probably
v.1.xx; at that time, it was still called Crap Cleaner). I downloaded it,
installed it, and ran it on one PC as a test. Lo and behold, it worked!
Faster boot, faster IE access, faster Office. . .oh, wait, Office doesn't
work any more. Neither does our AS/400 business system. Bummer! Now I'm
worse off than I was. Ah, but wait, I backed up those keys before deleting
them. So I restored the deleted keys, and Office worked again, but still no
go on the AS/400. I had to reinstall it; not a big deal, but a wasted half
hour of time that I could have been using to do something else. Plus, all
the slowness was back again after restoring the deleted keys, and certain
aspects of some network resources didn't work right until the app was
reinstalled.

I've used it on my home PC (even some of the newer versions) and have had
no problems until the one time it wiped out part of the functionality of my
HP AIO printer. Going through the backup key by key, I found the ones that
should have been left alone and restored them. Still didn't work right. I
had to extract the files from the install .exe program and point to that to
make those functions work again. It was easier doing it that way than
uninstalling it, reinstalling the suite, and then reinstalling the updates
to it.

I know that as the end user, I should be looking at each and every one of
those keys before I let the program delete them, and for the most part, I
did. But on the rare occasion that I was lax (after all, there are usually
more than 120 entries that it wants to delete), I had a problem. Not every
time, but enough for me to not use the registry function of it. The rest of
it is great, and I continue to use it for cleanup and the Tools section.
With the amount of time and education that I've had with software, PC's,
file management, etc., I think I can say that I am probably a bit more
knowledgeable than the average PC user when it comes to what's necessary and
what's not, but all it takes is one slack moment to screw yourself.

BTW, the original problem with the slow PC's was caused by a combination
of an outdated AS/400 driver, network settings on the Ohio server, and a
couple of other small things I don't remember. Once we went to a newer
version of the IBM software and redid our server settings, all was well.

So, to sum it up, I say "Use at your own risk." If you aren't sure about
what to delete, don't. If you ignore that simple piece of advice, I hope you
have a viable backup and recovery plan in place, not just kerneldebugger,
but everyone who uses any kind of registry cleaner. I'm not saying there
will be a problem every time, but like others have posted, it's not a matter
of "if", but "when".
--
SC Tom
-There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

Nil

12 Oct 2010, 20:03:2712/10/2010
On 12 Oct 2010, "SC Tom" <s...@tom.net> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> So, to sum it up, I say "Use at your own risk." If you aren't sure
> about what to delete, don't. If you ignore that simple piece of
> advice, I hope you have a viable backup and recovery plan in
> place, not just kerneldebugger, but everyone who uses any kind of
> registry cleaner. I'm not saying there will be a problem every
> time, but like others have posted, it's not a matter of "if", but
> "when".

I think that's a good approach. I sometimes use CCleaner's registry
"cleaner" feature to find what it considers to be dubious registry
keys. I then consider each one individually and decide if it's
something worth acting on. If it refers to, say, a software package
I personally installed but is now long gone, I might consider
deleting the key. If I don't understand what the entry is about, I
will leave it as is. I would never let the program automatically
delete anything. And I always have a registry backup available
(courtesy of ERUNT.) This is not a tool for beginners.

Even the Cleaner part of the program is able to do things that could
confuse non-geeks, as it can delete saved passwords, desired
cookies, MRU lists, etc.

Tester

12 Oct 2010, 20:28:3712/10/2010

mm wrote:

> Well, if it's not improbable, for me that leaves the question, Why?

Because Microsoft is obsessed with registering everything in the
registry!. A new installed OS will have all its cab files registered but
the files are always deleted after the installation is complete. Now
you tell me, what is the point of these entries?

I have also seen that whenever I manually update my Windows Defender,
the exe file name from which I updated is also in the registry. Now
this, in my opinion, is completely daft.

hth

John Doe

12 Oct 2010, 21:49:5812/10/2010
"Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon earthlink.net> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> mm

>>> It is a fallacy that your system will speed up and run faster
>>> and you will save a lot of space. All it is good for is to
>>> make your computer inoperable. You will find people posting
>>> that they have been using Registry Cleaning tools for a long
>>> time without any problems. This is not true .
>>
>> There is no way to know that. One thing is clear, that there
>> are some anti-registry-cleaner zealots out there, judging by
>> some of the silly rhetoric.
>
> The only reason you think it's silly is due to your own limited
> experience.

The statement that no one could have used a registry cleaner for a
long time without having any problems is clearly false. The MVP's
statement that "neither I nor anyone else who warns against the

use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause

problems" is just careless rhetoric.

You do not have to know anything about registry cleaners or even
computers to see those things.

But in fact... I have have put so much time into using a PC, I
hardly need a keyboard anymore, I use speech for dictation and
command/control of my PC. Combinations of Windows keyboard
shortcuts have been replaced with single syllable verbal
utterances here.

And then there is the fact that my system is practically
bulletproof. I do not have to worry about the same little problems
most users have to worry about. If there ever were a situation
where I could not get into Windows XP, I could boot to my Macrium
Reflect CD, make a copy of drive C, replaced drive C. with a known
good copy, boot to the known good copy, and then explore the
freshly made copy to retrieve any needed data.

>> I have used registry cleaners off and on for a long time.
>
> Good for you, although your experience is just for one (which is
> a pretty limited sample size). I suppose though one can choose
> to ignore many other posted experiences, however, and thus live
> in a shell.

I have spent many years in the homebuilt PC group. No one has ever
come in to complain about their registry being corrupted. There
have been many times when people have come in crying about losing data because their failed and they do not keep backups.

Please provide the technical reasons for your assertions, if you
have any.
--

>> I suppose there was a problem at some time, but I have had lots
>> worse memorable problems with other things.
>>
>>> It is a Russian Roulette tool
>
> Indeed.

> From: "Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon earthlink.net>
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,free.UseNet

> Subject: Re: Registry cleaner recommendation?

> Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:17:42 -0600

Bill in Co

12 Oct 2010, 22:30:2312/10/2010
John Doe wrote:
> "Bill in Co" <surly_curmudgeon earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> John Doe wrote:
>>> mm

>>> There is no way to know that. One thing is clear, that there
>>> are some anti-registry-cleaner zealots out there, judging by
>>> some of the silly rhetoric.
>>
>> The only reason you think it's silly is due to your own limited
>> experience.
>
> The statement that no one could have used a registry cleaner for a
> long time without having any problems is clearly false.

I don't recall saying that "no one ever could have". Your words, not mine.

> The MVP's
> statement that "neither I nor anyone else who warns against the
> use of registry cleaners has ever said that they always cause
> problems" is just careless rhetoric.

And I don't recall saying "always" cause problems. How often is enough for
you, though? Go back and read (and participate in) the newsgroups on this
topic over the last several years, and get back to me on that. You can
Google it if you want

> You do not have to know anything about registry cleaners or even
> computers to see those things.

Indeed. And most of the ones promoting the use of automatic registry
cleaners don't know that much about it, as a matter of fact.

This kind of reminds me of the folks who believe that "monster cables" (with
the gold connectors) can improve your sound!! (just like registry cleaners
can "improve" your computer's performance (cough).

> But in fact... I have have put so much time into using a PC, I
> hardly need a keyboard anymore, I use speech for dictation and
> command/control of my PC. Combinations of Windows keyboard
> shortcuts have been replaced with single syllable verbal
> utterances here.
>
> And then there is the fact that my system is practically
> bulletproof. I do not have to worry about the same little problems
> most users have to worry about. If there ever were a situation
> where I could not get into Windows XP, I could boot to my Macrium
> Reflect CD, make a copy of drive C, replaced drive C. with a known
> good copy, boot to the known good copy, and then explore the
> freshly made copy to retrieve any needed data.

Similarly here, but I use Acronis True Image Home. But most people don't
have that luxury (or rather, aren't well enough informed to know better).
So *most* users don't have good (if any) system backups, so promoting the
use of registry cleaners is foolish. Actually, it's even more than that:
it's completely irresponsible.

>>> I have used registry cleaners off and on for a long time.
>>
>> Good for you, although your experience is just for one (which is
>> a pretty limited sample size). I suppose though one can choose
>> to ignore many other posted experiences, however, and thus live
>> in a shell.
>
> I have spent many years in the homebuilt PC group. No one has ever
> come in to complain about their registry being corrupted. There
> have been many times when people have come in crying about losing data
> because their failed and they do not keep backups.

Evidently you either haven't participated in these newgroups for very long,
or rather, haven't read nearly as many of the posts as I have. Collected
together, THAT is statistically a MUCH larger sample size than one homebuilt
PC group.

> Please provide the technical reasons for your assertions, if you
> have any.

Some have already been given (and not just today). I gave you some of my
own (and not just today, but all the way back in time for that matter), but
if you want a very recent one, go check out the last post today by SC Tom.

Seemingly you have just glossed over the plethora of news posts on this very
topic over all the years in the various newgroups, or have just ignored
them. Or you think they are making up their stories. Whatever....

kerneldebugger

13 Oct 2010, 00:00:3013/10/2010

"Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message

CCleaner has a provision, to save the cookies you need, for example
those from your online accounts. It also has a simple interface where
one can select the files to be cleaned.

I like it, some don't. Thank God for freedom of choice, right?

We've pretty well beat this dead horse to death. Or isn't the saying
someing about looking up the dead horses... oh never mind, ya'll
carry on with me, hear?

-

Mint

13 Oct 2010, 12:08:2213/10/2010
On Oct 11, 8:03 pm, mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.
>
> I used to have one that took every registry entry in turn that
> referred to a file and looked for that file.  That's the kind of
> process I would like to do.
>
> Regcleaner is very famous, but I can't figure out how to do that with
> it.  If not, some other program would be fine.
>
> Also an you tell me if Regcleaner by Jouni Vuorio lets you look at the
> entries before it removes them, even if you have specified a program.
> I'm sure it does, but the readme file doesn't say.
>
> Thanks a lot, MM
>
> Background:
> Normally I don't run any registry cleaner, because of the
> discouragement I get here and other newsgroups.
>
> But this time, I have netbook that I just devirusied for a friend and
> a) AVG Free 11 says it has almost 500 bad registry entries.  It
> doesn't provide for removing them (probalby want you to buy
> something). It does display the location, although not the key or
> value.  That's not enough for me to know if it is bad or not.
>
> b) this it the last maintenance it will get for a long time. The owner
> doesn't do anything but use it.
>
> c) I figure some of the entries may well be for viruses I deleted,
> OTOH, what difference does it make if I deleted them.  If she gets a
> new virus, it will make its own entry in the registry.

I agree with the recommendation of CCleaner.
RevoUninstall is excellent, besides removing the program, it searches
for leftover references in the registry.

If you are a knowledgeable user, you won't have many problems.

As for those who say they are not useful, they are clearly wrong.

Many apps do properly un-install themselves leaving very little
leftover material in the registry.
But most do not.

Take care,
Andy

SC Tom

13 Oct 2010, 13:03:2113/10/2010
*** Reply in line

"Mint" <chocolate...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

***
It's easy to say that someone is wrong, but what proof do you have that they
do any good? In your personal experiences with them, do you see any
significant increase in usable hard drive space, or a significant decrease
in boot time? Can you show these stats anywhere other than the software
writers' web sites? I can't find any irrefutable proof, and believe me, I've
looked. The only "proof" that I have ever seen that they will end world
hunger and bring peace to the Middle East is on their own web sites; nowhere
independently testing the products.

--
SC Tom
-There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

***

Bill in Co

13 Oct 2010, 15:24:2013/10/2010

And? So what? It's inconsequential.
The entries left in there have no impact except in a few isolated cases
where a manual edit may be necessary (like to reinstall an app, and it
blocks it, saying it's already installed, and this only if the normal
uninstall, then reinstall, method fails.

mm

13 Oct 2010, 20:16:2313/10/2010

Very intersting. Thanks, and thanks nil.

>hth

Bob

14 Oct 2010, 01:28:5814/10/2010
Is there a problem with the netbook?

If it "ain't broke, don't fix it".

mm

14 Oct 2010, 03:23:3014/10/2010
On 13 Oct 2010 01:49:58 GMT, John Doe <jd...@usenetlove.invalid> wrote:

>But in fact... I have have put so much time into using a PC, I
>hardly need a keyboard anymore, I use speech for dictation and
>command/control of my PC. Combinations of Windows keyboard
>shortcuts have been replaced with single syllable verbal
>utterances here.

Hey, I'd like to do that. HOw fast a CPU do you think I need?

What software do you use?

Thanks.

mm

14 Oct 2010, 03:28:4314/10/2010
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 01:28:58 -0400, "Bob" <b...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>Is there a problem with the netbook?
>
>If it "ain't broke, don't fix it".

Well it was broke and I fixed a lot of things, so that got me into the
feeling that I should keep fixing things, esp. since no one will touch
this for her again.

But I've come to the conclusion that the registry should be left
alone.

HOW COME NO ONE ON THE PRO-CLEANER SIDE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE THREE
STARTUP PROGRAMS that CCleaner, and AVG11 Free, said were not found,
or whatever, even though they are there and they are clearly runing.

If I had run the next step of CCleaner, it would have deleted
essential registry entries, and it would have taken me along time to
figure out how to put them back. Even with a registry backup, I might
not know it was the lack of these entries that was causing the
problem.

HOW COME!!!!!

Patok

14 Oct 2010, 04:30:4514/10/2010
mm wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 01:28:58 -0400, "Bob" <b...@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>> Is there a problem with the netbook?
>>
>> If it "ain't broke, don't fix it".
>
> Well it was broke and I fixed a lot of things, so that got me into the
> feeling that I should keep fixing things, esp. since no one will touch
> this for her again.
>
> But I've come to the conclusion that the registry should be left
> alone.

Very wise. The registry is such a can of worms that it is better left alone.

> HOW COME NO ONE ON THE PRO-CLEANER SIDE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT THE THREE
> STARTUP PROGRAMS that CCleaner, and AVG11 Free, said were not found,
> or whatever, even though they are there and they are clearly runing.

That is strange. I'm very happy with CCleaner, and it hasn't ever found such
things. Needless to say, I don't trust it blindly, even though I like it. I
always examine what it will do in detail, especially the registry, even though I
usually leave the registry very much alone. The things I let it clean, are
pretty obvious - usually leftover references to software I know I have uninstalled.
There was either something seriously wrong with that system, if there were
entries for startup items that were wrong, but the items were running, or there
was nothing wrong with it. :) The second case would be if they were installed,
then uninstalled and installed again in a different location. The leftover
registry entries would be from the first install. In cases like that, I run
msconfig and/or regedit to see what's going on.

> If I had run the next step of CCleaner, it would have deleted
> essential registry entries, and it would have taken me along time to
> figure out how to put them back. Even with a registry backup, I might
> not know it was the lack of these entries that was causing the
> problem.

But you didn't run it, so we'll never know.

> HOW COME!!!!!

Slowly, I guess. :)

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.

Mint

15 Oct 2010, 16:52:1315/10/2010
On Oct 13, 12:03 pm, "SC Tom" <s...@tom.net> wrote:
> ***  Reply in line
>
> "Mint" <chocolatemint77...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Think of the registry as a file cabinet with folders for the electric
company, and other important areas.

You decide to go green and build a mini-wind turbine and you ask Joe-
Bob to shred the contents of the electric company folder.

He gets most of it, but leaves a few bills in the folder.

You probably get the picture.

Have a good one,
Andy

SC Tom

16 Oct 2010, 07:41:3416/10/2010

I get the picture, but the few that are left behind aren't hurting anything,
and aren't making him any less green. Did it make his wind turbine output
more, or turn faster? That was my point, not the fact that there were a few
"bills" left behind.

John John - MVP

16 Oct 2010, 07:47:2916/10/2010

A more apt analogy would be to think of the registry as an electrical
panel and to think of the registry cleaner as a dim-witted electrician
who turns off the the breaker to the plugs in the guest bedroom because
nothing is plugged in any of the plugs and nothing has been plugged in
for the last year or more. The second time the dim-witted electrician
comes by he sees the breaker that is turned off and decides that it is
not needed so he yanks it out and throws it in the garbage can...

Registry cleaners are next to utterly useless and tend to cause more
harm than good. Anyone who wants to keep their Windows installation in
good working order would do well to refrain from running useless
programs on their machines.

John

Kraut / Larry S.

16 Oct 2010, 10:37:3616/10/2010
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 08:47:29 -0300, John John - MVP
<aude...@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote:

>Registry cleaners are next to utterly useless and tend to cause more
>harm than good. Anyone who wants to keep their Windows installation in
>good working order would do well to refrain from running useless
>programs on their machines.
>
>John

Well I tell you what - that is a matter of opinion - to which everyone
is entitled.

The original poster asked for reg cleaner recommendations - not
whether you liked them or not so why reply if you can not answer what
he asked?!?!? No wonder MS dumped news groups what with "MVPs" like
you!!!

choro

16 Oct 2010, 11:03:3316/10/2010
Sir, you are wrong. The MVP is entitled to his opinion to NOT recommend the
installation of ANY registry cleaners.

Personally, I can say that I have used Registry Patrol and was happy with it
but I can't say that it works like magic. It does a good job of cleaning the
registry and also backs up the old registry in case of any sudden need to go
back which only proves that registry cleaners can also sometimes ADVERSELY
affect the registry.

Though I agree with your advice of not installing and uninstalling
especially rubbishy programs on your computer.

Keep it simple is the best policy in real life and it also applies to
computers.
--
choro
*****
"Kraut / Larry S." <krau...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Ken Blake, MVP

16 Oct 2010, 14:31:3316/10/2010
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:03:33 +0100, "choro" <ch...@tvco.net> wrote:

> Personally, I can say that I have used Registry Patrol and was happy with it
> but I can't say that it works like magic. It does a good job of cleaning the
> registry and also backs up the old registry in case of any sudden need to go
> back

Bear in mind that if the result of using a registry cleaner is an
unbootable computer (which unfortunately happens fairly frequently)
that backup won't be of much use to you.

Yes it's better to have a backup than not to have one, but don't think
it provides you with complete protection.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

mm

16 Oct 2010, 16:31:4316/10/2010
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:35:50 -0400, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:03:53 -0400, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>

>wrote:
>
>>Can you recommend a good registry cleaner for XP.
>>
>>I used to have one that took every registry entry in turn that
>>referred to a file and looked for that file. That's the kind of
>>process I would like to do.
>>
>>Regcleaner is very famous, but I can't figure out how to do that with
>>it. If not, some other program would be fine.
>>
>>Also an you tell me if Regcleaner by Jouni Vuorio lets you look at the
>>entries before it removes them, even if you have specified a program.
>>I'm sure it does, but the readme file doesn't say.
>>
>>Thanks a lot, MM

>Wow, what should I make of this?
>
>I tried to compare the registry checking results of AVG Free and of
>CCleaner.
>
>It wan't easy because their categories have little similarity.
>
>But in the process, in CCcleaner, at the end, I found three items
>labeled Missing Startup Softeware.
>
>Two of them were Verizon programs, and she and I both use Verizon DSL.

This was a stupid line on my part. I have verizon DSL like she does,
but I have no verizon programs in my start-up list. Never have had.

Maybe she doesn't need hers either.

But that doesn't make them mistakes. CCleaner said quote "Missing
Startup Software"

And AVG Free 11 just said quote "startup", but it was in the list of
"Registry Errors".

But all three files named, two of them Verizon, exist.

These are just three that I found that make no sense, and look like if
removed would cause lots of trouble. I havent' checked out any
others.

>The other was sttray.exe.
>
>Now I know the startup pretty well, because I've been devirusing her
>computer and I also went through her startup files very carefully, and
>unchecked several program in msconfig that didn't relate to her needs.
>
>But these three were important, and so just now I followed their
>directory struccture, and all three of them were there, where the
>registry and msconfig said they were!!! And they weren't zero
>length, either. One was two megs. They were all listed under
>HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\currentversion\Run .
>
>In what way were they Missing Startup Software??
>
>Then I looked in the AVG list, and two of them were there, too!!! And
>there was a third one there under startup, but it only gave the
>Registry address, Run\SystrayApp. That might be the same as sttray,
>but I'm not sure.
>
>Unless you can explain this to me, it shakes my faith in both AVG and
>CCleaner!!!

mm

16 Oct 2010, 16:48:4816/10/2010
On Sat, 16 Oct 2010 16:31:43 -0400, mm <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

BTW, it probably has to do with when she, iirc, had to use special
verizon software to solve her verizon problem, while she talked to
them on the phone. mcci..tray.exe and verizonservicpoint.exe

I'm tired of working on her computer so I left them.

SC Tom

16 Oct 2010, 20:54:1316/10/2010

"choro" <ch...@tvco.net> wrote in message

> Sir, you are wrong. The MVP is entitled to his opinion to NOT recommend
> the installation of ANY registry cleaners.
>
> Personally, I can say that I have used Registry Patrol and was happy with
> it but I can't say that it works like magic. It does a good job of
> cleaning the registry and also backs up the old registry in case of any
> sudden need to go back which only proves that registry cleaners can also
> sometimes ADVERSELY affect the registry.

If you read the post I made of some of the experiences I had with CCleaner,
you'll see that those backups don't always work. If you don't have a viable
image or back up of your system drive, you're asking for trouble if you're
depending on that registry back up to save your bacon.

Tester

16 Oct 2010, 22:21:2216/10/2010

SC Tom wrote:

> If you read the post I made of some of the experiences I had with
> CCleaner, you'll see that those backups don't always work. If you don't
> have a viable image or back up of your system drive, you're asking for
> trouble if you're depending on that registry back up to save your bacon.

Have you had any experience that Ccleaner deleted a particular registry
entry resulting in your system become unstable and un-bootable?

Please advise us this *SPECIFIC* fact.

Bill in Co

17 Oct 2010, 01:14:4417/10/2010

<yawn>

tango

SC Tom

17 Oct 2010, 08:08:1217/10/2010

"Tester" <tes...@msnews.com> wrote in message

Read the example I gave in my reply to kerneldebugger of what happened to
me. It didn't make the system unbootable, but when a number of apps no
longer work correctly, then the system is unstable. Is that *SPECIFIC*
enough, your honor?