under Local Settings a Temp folder = 3 GB

Jack B

Nov 7, 2007, 5:17:15 PM11/7/07
Under Local Settings there is a Temp folder that has nearly 3 GB of files.
Do I need any of those files?

Jack

Bob I

Nov 7, 2007, 5:50:54 PM11/7/07
Nope.

Brian A.

Nov 7, 2007, 5:52:38 PM11/7/07
"Jack B" <jslimp0...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Under Local Settings there is a Temp folder that has nearly 3 GB of files.
> Do I need any of those files?
>
> Jack

Only if the files are in use or are needed to complete a task. If they are in use
you will not be able to delete them and if they are needed to complete a task,
rebooting will/should complete the task. If after a reboot any of the pending task
files are still present, it will/can/may be due to insufficient programming which
should remove the files once the task has completed, you can safely delete the files.

All files can be safely deleted from both Temp folders, c:\documents and
settings\username folder\local settings\temp and c:\windows\temp.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jack B

Nov 7, 2007, 6:15:00 PM11/7/07
Thanks!

Jack

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

Brian A.

Nov 7, 2007, 6:21:37 PM11/7/07
> Thanks!
>

> Jack

You're welcome.

Jim

Jan 6, 2008, 9:53:01 PM1/6/08
I have a similar problem, only it is like this:
- My Local Settings folder shows 2.9GB of files
- There are only two subfolders, APPLICATION DATA (10MB) and TEMP (0MB).
- There is nothing else I can find in the folder.
- I have it set to show hidden files
This makes my hard drive appear like it is almost full, even though I should
have nearly 3GB free. Please help.
Thanks.

Shenan Stanley

Jan 6, 2008, 9:58:58 PM1/6/08
Jim wrote:
> - My Local Settings folder shows 2.9GB of files
> - There are only two subfolders, APPLICATION DATA (10MB) and TEMP
> (0MB).
> - There is nothing else I can find in the folder.
> - I have it set to show hidden files
>
> This makes my hard drive appear like it is almost full, even though
> I should have nearly 3GB free. Please help.

The informnation below can help you pinpoint where the space is being 'used'
and perhaps (given the smallness of your partition/drive) - give you a
little extra breathing room in the process.

If you are comfortable with the stability of your system, you can delete the
uninstall files for the patches that Windows XP has installed...
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

Used Disk Cleanup?
Is hibernate turned on and do you use that feature?
Uninstalled unnecessary applications lately?

You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but your
latest restore point and cleanup even more "loose files"..

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

You can turn off hibernation if it is on and you don't use it..

When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's
memory to the hiberfil.sys file. As a result, the size of the hiberfil.sys
file will always equal the amount of physical memory in your system. If you
don't use the hibernate feature and want to recapture the space that Windows
uses for the hiberfil.sys file, perform the following steps:

- Start the Control Panel Power Options applet (go to Start, Settings,
Control Panel, and click Power Options).
- Select the Hibernate tab, clear the "Enable hibernation" check box, then
click OK; although you might think otherwise, selecting Never under the
"System hibernates" option on the Power Schemes tab doesn't delete the
hiberfil.sys file.
- Windows will remove the "System hibernates" option from the Power Schemes
tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

You can control how much space your System Restore can use...

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Highlight one of your drives (or C: if you only have one) and click on
the "Settings" button.
4. Change the percentage of disk space you wish to allow.. I suggest moving
the slider until you have just about 1GB (1024MB or close to that...)
5. Click OK.. Then Click OK again.

You can control how much space your Temporary Internet Files can utilize...

Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
size between 64MB and 256MB..

- Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
- Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
- Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
following:
- Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
- Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
something between 64MB and 256MB. (It may be MUCH larger right
now.)
- Click OK.
- Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
(the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
minutes or more.)
- Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
Explorer.

You can use an application that scans your system for log files and
temporary files and use that to get rid of those:

Ccleaner (Free!)
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Other ways to free up space..

SequoiaView
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

DX Hog Hunt
http://www.dvxp.com/en/Downloads.aspx

JDiskReport
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/index.html

Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jim

Jan 6, 2008, 10:33:51 PM1/6/08

"Jim" <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Application Data is a place for programs to store data that may be needed at
some future time.
It is ill advised to delete anything from such a folder unless you can
identify a certain file which
belongs to a removed application. You do not have the same problem as the
OP because your
Temp folder is empty (as it should be). The Application Data folder is
seldom if ever used
to store temporary files.

Jim

windmap

Jan 7, 2008, 7:14:06 AM1/7/08
Try this free Utility(cleanup!) to safely free up disk space
http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?Itemid=69&id=15&option=com_content&task=view