add/remove program window only shows 5 programs

dbiller

Jun 30, 2006, 12:19:02 PM6/30/06
I am running WinXP SP2 (with all the latest auto updates) on a AMD 64 3200+
with 1GB memory and 50GB HDD. When I open the add/remove program window the
populating programs phase runs then the window fills but only 5 programs are
displayed. All these programs start with the letter "A". When I scroll down
(there is a very long scroll bar) the window is empty. I recently did a
Windows Vista ready evaluation on this system and installed IE7 beta2. I
cannot say if the problem started after these events or before. I do have
another problem directly related to the Windows Vista evaluation that I will
put in another post. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Wesley Vogel

Jun 30, 2006, 7:45:00 PM6/30/06
Do the programs end at particular letter in the alphabet? A maybe? If so,
you may have a huge white space, scroll down in Add or Remove Programs to
see if this is the problem.

If it is...

Courtesy of Kelly
Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User

Add or Remove - White Space
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm#ws

[[This is generally due to the DisplayIcon having a negative number. From
here you can remove the negative number:
Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{} ]]

AutoCad Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autocadaddremovefix.zip

Autodesk Land Desktop 3 Fix
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip

===

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time.

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----
***
From anonymous poster...

One application causes the problem for me. I just removed the reference to
that program in regedit and the black spot dissapeared.
-----

Here is a script which lists all the negative icon references and sends them
to a log file.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/
ARPNegCheck.vbs
Lists all negative icon references in Add/Remove

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/ARPNegCheck.vbs

From...
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Dowload the script. Run it by double clicking ARPNegCheck.vbs.
NegativeIcons.txt will be saved to your Desktop.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:EE05F468-06CE-4241...@microsoft.com,
dbiller <dbi...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

dbiller

Jul 3, 2006, 10:41:01 AM7/3/06
Thanks Wesley. Your solution hit the spot exactly. As soon as I removed the
minus sign the white space was removed and everything is back to normal.

Wesley Vogel

Jul 3, 2006, 5:31:44 PM7/3/06
You're welcome. But it can and probably will happen again. Keep having
fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes