Hover feature in Explorer windows?

Terry Pinnell

Dec 27, 2006, 6:34:48 AM12/27/06
I've lost the feature that pops up file properties information when
you hover the mouse over a selected file in a My Computer or Explorer
window. Rebooting hasn't recovered it. Anyone able to help me fix this
please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dec 27, 2006, 8:11:59 AM12/27/06
Click Start, Run and type CONTROL FOLDERS
In the View tab, enable these two options:

[] Display file size information in folder tips
[] Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items

Click Apply, OK.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Terry Pinnell

Dec 27, 2006, 9:13:36 AM12/27/06
"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ram...@XOX.mvps.org> wrote:

Thanks Ramesh. Now sorted thanks. I'd accidentally disabled Balloon
Tips using a recently installed 'tweaking' utility called Cacheman.
Presumably those settings in Folder Options>View and Balloon Tips are
related? I've always had them enabled.

BTW, apart from Cacheman (and TweakUI I believe), I read this morning
that Balloon Tips can be enabled/disabled by "Click Start and select
Search". But I don't see that entry in my Start menu. Nor do I see any
reference to Balloon Tips when I pull up the Search dialog by my usual
method (Ctrl+f from any folder). Can you clarify how it's set from
within XP please?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Dec 27, 2006, 11:26:42 AM12/27/06
Terry,

Those two settings are not related to Balloon Tips. And there is no option in the user interface to disable the Balloon Tips. See:

HOW TO: Disable Notification Area Balloon Tips in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729

Or you may use TweakUI accomplish that automatically.