Tweakui altered the display of "My Computer" incorrectly

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 16, 2004, 10:46:52 AM3/16/04
Right-click on your Desktop and select:
Properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Restore Default

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"MrBill" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| XP Pro Service Pack 1 - I used tweakui to adjust the drive letters in "My Computer" so they would show
before the labels. After the restart the general headings of "Local Drives" and "Devices with Removable
Media" etc. I also have a mapped drive that shows up in my network places that I cannot get rid of. When I
use tweakui to try a different setting for drive letters the end result is not always what I asked for. Is
there any way to restore all defaults. Note that if I add a new user the settings look correct.

Sharon F

Mar 16, 2004, 5:07:10 PM3/16/04
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:01:11 -0800, MrBill
<anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>and the headings of "Hard Disk Drives", "Drives with Removable Media", "Network Drives" etc. are still not displayed.

My Computer> View> Arrange Icons By..> Show in Groups will bring back
those headings.

--
Sharon F
MS MVP - Windows XP

Keith Miller

Mar 17, 2004, 2:12:36 AM3/17/04
For the TweakUI portion of your dilemma, the labels for the options are incorrect. The associated
registry value is under:

"HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

and is a value named "ShowDriveLettersFirst". Possible values are:

0 = Default display - drive letters after description
1 = Network drive letters first, Local drive letters after
2 = Descriptions only, no drive letters displayed
4 = Drive letters before description

In TweakUI, the four options displayed are not associated with their correct values. The first
option is a match, but for "Show all drive letters before", tweakUI is setting the value to 2 rather
than 4; for "Network before/Local after", the value is being set to 2 rather than 1; and for "Never
show", the value is being set to 4 rather than 2. To summarize (assuming options are numbered 1
thru 4):
If you want
Option# Select:
1 1
2 4
3 2
4 3

Keith

> I just tried the Properties > Desktop > Customize Desktop > Restore Default and it does not look
like it changed anything although I will do a restart for good measure. The tweakui setting is
checked for "Never Show Drive Letters" yet I have all drive letters before the label and the

Alex Nichol

Mar 17, 2004, 9:20:13 AM3/17/04
MrBill wrote:

>XP Pro Service Pack 1 - I used tweakui to adjust the drive letters in "My Computer" so they would show before the labels. After the restart the general headings of "Local Drives" and "Devices with Removable Media" etc.

I have found that that setting in TweakUI is ineffective; best put back
to the original setting. The grouping is controlled in My Computer -
View Menu; Arrange Icons by; check (or uncheck) 'Show in groups'

Bournemouth, U.K. Al...@mvps.D8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

Keith Miller

Mar 21, 2004, 4:41:37 AM3/21/04
You're welcome.

Keith

> Thanks to all of the info, especially that about the incorrect tweakui information. All is well
again.