XP Task Scheduler

Charlie Brookhart

Aug 25, 2004, 11:06:06 PM8/25/04
I have been working with Symantec tech support trying to
get Norton Anti-Virus to automatically download and
install updates. I have tried just about all of their
troubleshooting steps except for reinstalling the
program. I suspect that there is a problem with Windows
Task Scheduler, and I would like to be able to confirm
this. I have deleted the scheduled update task and let
the program put it in automatically. I have also deleted
the task and added it manually. The task is set to run
every 5 minutes for 24 hours with only a start date. Each
time the task attempts to run, it changes to a status
of "could not start" and then the time advances another 5
minutes. This process then repeats itself. This same
problem also occurs for a McAfee product I have
installed. What's the deal with task scheduler not
wanting to run the tasks that are set?

Mark Rossi

Aug 25, 2004, 11:23:43 PM8/25/04
"Charlie Brookhart" <brook...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I had this same problem and what I did was to set a password for my Win XP
account and then put that same password in the Task Scheduler for the
particular task. It worked fine after that. I'm not sure if that is your
problem or not. Might be worth a try though.

Mark

John Bukowski [MSFT]

Aug 26, 2004, 7:25:06 AM8/26/04
To begin troubleshooting your problem, find the result of your job attempting
to start in the following log.

c:\windows\schedlgu.txt

John Bukowski [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer

Charlie Brookhart

Aug 26, 2004, 1:36:40 PM8/26/04
Here are the log entries:

"McAfee.com Update Check (CHARLIE-Charlie Brookhart).job" (mcupdate.exe)
8/26/2004 12:40:00 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
information existed for the task.
The specific error is:
0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler
security database for the task indicated.
"McAfee.com Update Check (DFNWW231-Owner).job" (mcupdate.exe) 8/26/2004
12:42:00 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
information existed for the task.
The specific error is:
0x80070534: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
"Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 8/26/2004 12:43:00 AM ** ERROR **
The attempt to retrieve account information for the specified task failed;
therefore, the task did not run. Either an error occurred, or no account
information existed for the task.
The specific error is:
0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler
security database for the task indicated.

I have not had a password access for my computer until just recently. I
added the login password and then put that same password in task scheduler.
When I do that, I receive the error message mentioned in my previous
message.

I have also gone to the KB article about task scheduler and followed those
instructions, but it didn't work. I also went to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308558 and followed
those instructions. Everything was set correctly, so no modifications were
needed.

I did however find something intresting. The last result column shows 0x0,
which according to the above article, states that the process was completed
successfully. How can this be if the status is always showing "could not
start?" I ran system restore, but could only go back to May 2004. I don't
know why I can't go back any further since I haven't turned system restore
off in a while. I restored to 5/31/04, with the same problem.

"John Bukowski [MSFT]" <JohnBuko...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F38E9DD8-E363-4162...@microsoft.com...

Charlie Brookhart

Aug 26, 2004, 1:40:00 PM8/26/04
I have put in a windows login password, but that hasn't resolved the issue.
I am receiving numerous error messages in the task scheduler log (see reply
to message from microsoft)

Now that I think about this issue, there was a two month time frame in which
I did not have internet access. I would always cancel the prompts to update
virus defintions because I didn't have internet access. Don't know if that
could have caused the current problem.
"Mark Rossi" <Jolly...@stny.rr.com> wrote in message

John Bukowski [MSFT]

Aug 28, 2004, 7:35:02 AM8/28/04
Hello Charlie,

Can you create another user account with administrator access (and a
password) and then login as

that user and schedule a task? Please try this and just create a job to run
notepad using the GUI.

When you create the job, make sure the SetPassword buttons is successful.

Are you running Windows XP Professional or Home Edition?
Are you on NTFS?
Are you in a Workgroup or a Domain?

0x80070534: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
"Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 8/26/2004 12:43:00 AM ** ERROR **

The error 0x80070534 is telling us that the Task Scheduler cannot find the
SID (Security Identifier)

for the account that scheduled this job i.e. the user that created the task
no longer exists. The job needs to be deleted and recreated.

The error 0x8004130f means that task scheduler was unable to match up the
jobs user and attributes with the account and its credentials.

0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler
security database for the

task indicated.

System restore shouldn't be necessary, since the change to the machine was
the addition of the password to the account. If the creation of the new
account works, it may be easiest to copy all of your settings from one user
to the other.

John

benjamin...@ascotvetsurgery.com.au

May 15, 2013, 3:39:17 AM5/15/13
I apologise in advance for bumping a 6 year old error. However so many solutions around the net are suggesting a SYSTEM RESTORE to fix this error...That is not necessary but the error may reflect bigger security errors..

>0x80070534: No mapping between account names and security IDs was done.
>"Symantec NetDetect.job" (NDETECT.EXE) 8/26/2004 12:43:00 AM ** ERROR **

>The error 0x80070534 is telling us that the Task Scheduler cannot find the
>SID (Security Identifier)

>for the account that scheduled this job i.e. the user that created the task
>no longer exists. The job needs to be deleted and recreated.

After browsing the net I could not find the correct solution to this issue. The above is correct but uneccessary.

If you are running windows home. You should install the Windows Security Compliance Manager (Microsoft stripped security management from windows home....god knows why.
Once this is installed it will make managing windows xp home security errors easier.

To fix this ERROR
1. Login to XP with a existing user with Administration Rights
2. Open the task scheduler...and double click the offending task
3. You will get the error...click OK
4. At this point you cannot edit the task, but you can click the security tab.
5. Click "ADVANCED"
6. Click "OWNER" Tab
7. The current owner will be displayed as S-3-181412=312 -123123 or something similar basically saying that the account that created the job has been deleted
8. Select your username from the box below...and click APPLY...you have just taken ownership of the task and it should work again...
9. Click OK and try double clicking the task again ...it should open with out any errors