A new hijacking

flores...@hotmail.com

Sep 20, 2005, 9:17:48 AM9/20/05
This one doesn't seem to be affecting things too much EXCEPT
that I now have a wallpaper that won't go away. It's a blood-
red screen with a black area in the middle with "DANGER: SPYWARE"
flashing in huge red letters. Then it goes on to tell me how
I can pay them extortion money (my words not theirs) "for as
low as $49.95" to get rid of the shit. My homepage had also
been replaced by a warning from them, that I was being watched,
along with listing my DNS etc. etc. (I think I've gotten
rid of that problem, but the wallpaper I haven't been able to.)

All this crap started yesterday after very briefly visiting
an adult site. I wish they all had one neck and my hands
were around it. It'll stop when these scum start being sent
to prison for doing this. I've run HijackThis and Spybot,
and have of course tried to change my wallpaper, but of course
they've covered that and I can't override what they've done.
Not yet anyway. Anybody know about this one and what to
do to solve it? Thanks a bunch.

--
Flores

kurttrail

Sep 20, 2005, 9:31:17 AM9/20/05

LOL! People that get spyware, get what they pay for, and deserve it.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Alias

Sep 20, 2005, 9:47:40 AM9/20/05
Write zeros to your hard drive and reload Windows. OR, spend the next who
knows how many hours trying to track down the spyware and not really know if
you've gotten rid of it all or not.

I trust you have backed up your data.

Alias

P.S. Next time you want porno, rent a DVD.

<flores...@hotmail.com> wrote

Malke

Sep 20, 2005, 9:48:25 AM9/20/05
flores...@hotmail.com wrote:

When visiting "adult sites", never download the "free viewer". There is
no free lunch; those "viewers" are trojan horses or other malware.

Go through the following malware removal steps, doing everything in Safe
Mode with updated tools. It would be smart to get all the tools and
updates from a different, known-clean computer with Internet access and
a cd burner (or have a usb thumbdrive with enough capacity to transfer
the files).

To get rid of the desktop warning being displayed by malware, go to the
Display applet in Control Panel and look on the Desktop tab. Click on
Customize Desktop, and then click on the Web tab. You will see that
there are checkmarks next to "My Current Home Page" and probably "Lock
Desktop Items". Uncheck these. By highlighting the "My Current Home
Page" and clicking on the Properties button, you will be able to
determine the name of the file that is the message. It might be called
something like "security.html" or the like.

Click Apply and OK out when you've made your changes. Then you want to
find the *.html malware file and delete it.

If you can't enable desktop backgrounds after a virus, MVP Kelly Theriot
has a fix. Look under Wallpaper-Desktop-Disable Changing here:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm

If Display tabs are missing, run Kelly's registry edit on line 285,
right-hand side "Restore all display tabs".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

steve.a

Sep 20, 2005, 9:56:02 AM9/20/05
I dealt with this one on a few systems last week, if you run a good online
scan ie trendmicro, it should identify that wininet.dll is infected but it
cant be cleaned because it starts at boot, use a decent boot disc and take a
good copy of wininet.dll and delete the current one and replace with the new
one, this should solve your issue
--
there are no problems just challenges

Bob Smith

Sep 20, 2005, 10:01:01 AM9/20/05

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

> flores...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > This one doesn't seem to be affecting things too much EXCEPT
> > that I now have a wallpaper that won't go away. It's a blood-
> > red screen with a black area in the middle with "DANGER: SPYWARE"
> > flashing in huge red letters. Then it goes on to tell me how
> > I can pay them extortion money (my words not theirs) "for as
> > low as $49.95" to get rid of the shit. My homepage had also
> > been replaced by a warning from them, that I was being watched,
> > along with listing my DNS etc. etc. (I think I've gotten
> > rid of that problem, but the wallpaper I haven't been able to.)
> >
> > All this crap started yesterday after very briefly visiting
> > an adult site. I wish they all had one neck and my hands
> > were around it. It'll stop when these scum start being sent
> > to prison for doing this. I've run HijackThis and Spybot,
> > and have of course tried to change my wallpaper, but of course
> > they've covered that and I can't override what they've done.
> > Not yet anyway. Anybody know about this one and what to
> > do to solve it? Thanks a bunch.
>
> LOL! People that get spyware, get what they pay for, and deserve it.

I concur. Now, in saying that, here are some suggestions to get rid of that
bugger. First, make a note of who is offering that $49.95 fix, as you can
use that information to report them to the government authorities.

Next, make sure that your Anti-Virus software definitions file is up to
date. Click on the update feature to see.

file. Go into the inoculate tab, and inoculate your system. Don't run the
program yet.

Go to www.majorgeeks.com , click on their spyware detection link in the left
frame, and download SpywareBlaster & Ad-Aware SE. Install each one of them,
and then click their update functions to make sure that you have the most
recent definition files. Don't run Ad-Aware just yet.

Reboot your computer into safe mode, and then run your anti-virus program,
Ad-Aware & Spybot ... one at a time. Either one of those programs should be
able to find and delete that nasty. Reboot your computer into regular mode
and see if it shows up again.

If it does, then run HiJackThis and post your log at one of the following
forums.

(http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30)
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html)
(http://castlecops.com/forum67.html)
(http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showforum=17)
(http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=2)
(http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showforum=18)
(http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
(http://boards.cexx.org/viewforum.php?f=1)
(http://www.malwarebytes.biz/forums/index.php?showforum=5)
(http://forum.gladiator-antivirus.com/index.php)
(http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security)

Someone from one of these sites can provide some answers for you.

Oh one more thing ... STFA from porn sites ...

Bob

winddancer

Sep 20, 2005, 10:36:01 AM9/20/05
i found -webroots,spysweeper cleaned up alot of crap on my comp-but you
probably have worse bugs.hope it helps.--is it in your add/remove programs??
--
jo68

flores...@hotmail.com

Sep 20, 2005, 11:04:16 AM9/20/05

kurttrail wrote:

> LOL! People that get spyware, get what they pay for, and deserve it.

Uh, could you elaborate? BTW, I didn't "pay" for anything, and
wasn't seeking anything at a porn site. I was looking for
a particular NON-porno image on Google and I ended up getting
tagged by these scum. As for your worthless post, why'd you
bother? But a big THANKS to the rest of you guys.

--
Flores

DanS

Sep 20, 2005, 12:30:40 PM9/20/05
"Bob Smith" <usirsclt...@earthlink.net> wrote in

i'll top-post here, but i just wanted to mention to give M$ Anti-spyware
a go as well.

i found that the spybot's 'innoculate system' tea timer thing really did
no nothing for me.

MS AS is the only one of the freebies that has a realtime monitor.

kurttrail

Sep 20, 2005, 12:33:52 PM9/20/05
flores...@hotmail.com wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>
>> LOL! People that get spyware, get what they pay for, and deserve it.
>
> Uh, could you elaborate? BTW, I didn't "pay" for anything, and
> wasn't seeking anything at a porn site.

But you went to one. I often search for photos on the web, yet never
get fooled into going to XXX sites, nor get spyware. You pay for your
ignorance.

> I was looking for
> a particular NON-porno image on Google and I ended up getting
> tagged by these scum.

LOL!

> As for your worthless post, why'd you
> bother?

Because, I believe in ridicule as motivation to wake people out of their
ignorance. Certainly got your attention, as my post is the only one you
replied to.

> But a big THANKS to the rest of you guys.

Not everyone who gave you advice is a guy.

Gabriele Neukam

Sep 20, 2005, 12:38:20 PM9/20/05
On that special day, , (flores...@hotmail.com) said...

> This one doesn't seem to be affecting things too much EXCEPT
> that I now have a wallpaper that won't go away. It's a blood-
> red screen with a black area in the middle with "DANGER: SPYWARE"

Look up Smitfraud, please.

Spybot should be able to deal with it (newest version, of course).

Gabriele Neukam

Gabriele.Spam...@t-online.de

just so, at no cost.

Gabriele Neukam

Sep 20, 2005, 12:40:41 PM9/20/05
On that special day, kurttrail,
(donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org) said...

> But you went to one. I often search for photos on the web, yet never
> get fooled into going to XXX sites, nor get spyware. You pay for your
> ignorance.

Ah, yes? Look up "Brian Frond", and "picture" (he drew fascinating elf
pictures). You'll be amazed what will be thrown at you, especially how
much Google spamming is done for Tattoos. And if isn't Tattoos, the
innocent looking links will redirect you to a very XXX like site.

kurttrail

Sep 20, 2005, 1:03:40 PM9/20/05

http://images.google.com/images?as_q=Brian+Frond&svnum=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgsz=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

> You'll be amazed what will be thrown at you, especially how
> much Google spamming is done for Tattoos. And if isn't Tattoos, the
> innocent looking links will redirect you to a very XXX like site.

http://images.google.com/images?as_q=Tattoos&svnum=10&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgsz=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=&safe=active

If you know how to search and interpret the results, then you get
nothing. Fools catch want they deserve.

Fitz

Sep 20, 2005, 1:14:06 PM9/20/05
By your reply, "If you know how to search and interpret the results, then
you get nothing. Fools catch want they deserve.", if a person doesn't know
how to "search and interpret"...then he's a fool? Perhaps he's a newbie (as
we all were at one time) or unknowingly clicked a link he shouldn't have. I
consider myself an expert in some business areas but would never call
someone a fool because they didn't know as much as I did in my particular
area of expertise. IMO.

--
***
NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

kurttrail

Sep 20, 2005, 2:06:23 PM9/20/05
Fitz wrote:
> By your reply, "If you know how to search and interpret the results,
> then you get nothing. Fools catch want they deserve.", if a person
> doesn't know how to "search and interpret"...then he's a fool? Perhaps
> he's a newbie (as we all were at one time) or unknowingly
> clicked a link he shouldn't have. I consider myself an expert in
> some business areas but would never call someone a fool because they
> didn't know as much as I did in my particular area of expertise. IMO.

Any noob, at this point, in the western world, is a fool. Basic safe
computing isn't an area of expertise, but a matter of common sense.

And apologists for fools are scum.

Harold

Sep 20, 2005, 2:48:49 PM9/20/05
kurttrail wrote:
> Fitz wrote:
>
>>By your reply, "If you know how to search and interpret the results,
>>then you get nothing. Fools catch want they deserve.", if a person
>>doesn't know how to "search and interpret"...then he's a fool? Perhaps
>>he's a newbie (as we all were at one time) or unknowingly
>>clicked a link he shouldn't have. I consider myself an expert in
>>some business areas but would never call someone a fool because they
>>didn't know as much as I did in my particular area of expertise. IMO.
>

> Any noob, at this point, in the western world, is a fool. Basic safe
> computing isn't an area of expertise, but a matter of common sense.

Arrogant nonsense. They are not fools.
Every newbie, as we have all been, has to learn about safe browsing.
Every child has to be taught how to cross the road safely. It wasn't
instilled at birth.
Home computers didn't exist in my early days, and later on my work never
required their use. I've plenty of common sense, but I still had to *learn*.

--
Harold

kurttrail

Sep 20, 2005, 2:57:20 PM9/20/05

And by now most people in the western world should have learned. They
really is little excuse other than poverty.

Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.

Asher_N

Sep 20, 2005, 3:08:28 PM9/20/05

> Harold wrote:
>> kurttrail wrote:

>>> Any noob, at this point, in the western world, is a fool. Basic safe
>>> computing isn't an area of expertise, but a matter of common sense.
>>
>> Arrogant nonsense. They are not fools.
>> Every newbie, as we have all been, has to learn about safe browsing.
>> Every child has to be taught how to cross the road safely. It wasn't
>> instilled at birth.
>> Home computers didn't exist in my early days, and later on my work
>> never required their use. I've plenty of common sense, but I still
>> had to *learn*.
>
> And by now most people in the western world should have learned. They
> really is little excuse other than poverty.
>
> Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.

Most people in the western world do not have computers. Most people in
the Western world that have access to computers do so at work, where
professional IT staff shields them from the complexity of security. Most
people in the Western world that have computers at home only access the
'net through dial-up.

Harold

Sep 20, 2005, 3:30:54 PM9/20/05
kurttrail wrote:

> Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.

There's only one fool in this thread.
Why not try preventing ignorance by helping, rather than ridiculing?
No matter whether its the Western, Eastern, Northern or Southern world.
Or the third, fourth or fifth world.

Over and out.

--
Harold

pcbutts1

Sep 20, 2005, 3:43:34 PM9/20/05
Sounds like Smithfraud. Here is my canned answer and fix for that issue.

Windows XP/2K (includes Ewido)

You may want to print out or make a copy of these instructions before
starting, because you will not be able to connect to the internet during
most of this fix.

Please download smithrem.zip and save it to your desktop
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/smithrem.zip
Right click on the file and extract it to its own folder on the desktop.

Please download, install, and update the free version of Ewido Security
Suite:
When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background
guard" and "Install scan via context menu"
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/ewidosetup.exe .

From the main Ewido screen, click on update in the left menu, then click the
Start update button.
After the update finishes, the status bar at the bottom will display "Update
successful"
Exit Ewido. DO NOT run a scan yet.

If you do not already have Ad-Aware SE 1.06 installed, download
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/aawsepersonal.exe
Again, do NOT run a scan yet.

Next, please reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following:
Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows
icon appears, press F8.
Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode.
Now scan with HJT http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/HijackThis.zip and place
a checkmark next to each of the following items:

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
http:://www.quicknavigate.com/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http:://www.quicknavigate.com/bar.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
http:://www.quicknavigate.com/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
http:://www.quicknavigate.com/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
http:://www.quicknavigate.com/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) =
http:://www.quicknavigate.com/search.php?qq=%1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page
=http:://www.quicknavigate.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
http:://www.startsearches.net/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar =
http:://www.startsearches.net/bar.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
http:://www.startsearches.net/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
http:://www.startsearches.net/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
http:://www.startsearches.net/search.php?qq=%1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) =
http:://www.startsearches.net/search.php?qq=%1
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
http:://www.startsearches.net/
O2 - BHO: VMHomepage Class - {FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF} -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hp6DD8.tmp
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsFY] c:\wp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsFY] c:\bsw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WindowsFZ] C:\WINDOWS\ZLOADER3.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Security iGuard] C:\Program Files\Security
iGuard\Security iGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSGuard] C:\Program Files\PSGuard\PSGuard.exe
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper -
{D5BC2651-6A61-4542-BF7D-84D42228772C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wldr.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper -
{D5BC2651-6A61-4542-BF7D-84D42228772C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wldr.dll
O9 - Extra button: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper -
{D5BC2651-6A61-4542-BF7D-84D42228772C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wldr.dll (HKCU)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Microsoft AntiSpyware helper -
{D5BC2651-6A61-4542-BF7D-84D42228772C} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\wldr.dll (HKCU)

Delete any other malware files not associated with the smitfraud variants
and SpySheriff.

Open the smithrem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start
the tool. Follow the prompts on screen. Your desktop and icons will
disappear and then reappear again --- this is normal.
Wait for the tool to complete and Disk Cleanup to finish --- this may take a
while; please be patient.

Next, run Ad-aware and perform a full scan. Remove everything found.

Now open Ewido Security Suite
Click on Scanner
Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
NOTE: During some scans with ewido it is finding cases of false positives.
You will need to step through the process of cleaning files one-by-one. If
ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.
DO NOT select "Perform action on all infections"
When the scan is finished, click the Save report button at the bottom of the
screen.
Save the report to your desktop
Close Ewido

Next go to Start -> Control Panel, click Display -> Desktop -> Customize
Desktop -> Web -> Uncheck "Security Info" if present.

Restart your computer in normal mode.

Run Panda's online virus scan and perform a full system scan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm .
Make sure the Autoclean box is checked!

Finally, restart your computer once more, and please post a new HijackThis
log as well as the log from the Ewido scan and the log from the smitRem
tool, which will be located at C:\smitfiles.txt.
Let me know if any problems persist.

Please Note: You may not find every file listed as you state you have
already removed some of the smithfraud files.

<flores...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Howard Brazee

Sep 20, 2005, 3:54:22 PM9/20/05
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:08:28 -0700, "Asher_N" <compg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Most people in the western world do not have computers.

I believe that. Even in my family - the generation ahead of mine has
3 people, one computer, my wife and myself have a computer apiece, my
children and their spouses have 3, and my 4 grandchildren have zero.
That's 13 people of which only 6 have computers at home. I suspect
we're above average.

> Most people in
>the Western world that have access to computers do so at work, where
>professional IT staff shields them from the complexity of security.

I doubt that, but wouldn't be very surprised if you are correct here.
Of course the term "the Western world" seems to be a variable,
depending on what people want it to mean.

> Most
>people in the Western world that have computers at home only access the
>'net through dial-up.

I'd like to see figures here, especially if we only count those who
use enough of the Internet to be vulnerable.

Bob I

Sep 20, 2005, 4:12:41 PM9/20/05
Not to mention the definition of "computer". Most people in the "Western
world" have "access to a computer". Whether they make use of it or not
is immaterial.

Asher_N

Sep 20, 2005, 4:20:44 PM9/20/05
Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote in

Canadian broadband penetration is at 77%, US at 57%, Europe is at 20%
now, expected to rise to 41% by 2008.

Sep 20, 2005, 5:20:33 PM9/20/05
kurttrail wrote:
> Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.

... or keep enabling arrogance, by replying to aloahs, like you.

Fitz

Sep 20, 2005, 7:02:36 PM9/20/05
Pride, arrogance and judgmental. It's not often I meet someone with all
those qualities. I think you were a newbie once too...or did you instantly
understand all the intricacies of web surfing when you first turned a
computer on? Good luck in life.

--
***
NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the
developer, manufacturer or some entity that you trust. They ALWAYS have the
most up to date files that haven't been tampered with by some third party
who is "hosting" (read Leeching) those files without permission.
***

flores...@hotmail.com

Sep 20, 2005, 7:40:04 PM9/20/05

Asher_N wrote:

> Most people in the western world do not have computers. Most people in
> the Western world that have access to computers do so at work, where
> professional IT staff shields them from the complexity of security.

Our little impudent brat known as "kurttrail" would probably be
surprised
to learn that many high-level professionals rarely, if ever, surf
the Web. He's probably some buck-toothed little urchin who plays
with his machine all day and thinks he's actually doing something.:)

BTW, I've solved my problems, and have learned a lot today.
A BIG thanks to all of you, except of course the aforementioned
ill-mannered dweeb.:)

--
Flores

Winux P

Sep 20, 2005, 9:14:53 PM9/20/05

<flores...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This one doesn't seem to be affecting things too much EXCEPT
> that I now have a wallpaper that won't go away. It's a blood-
> red screen with a black area in the middle with "DANGER: SPYWARE"
> flashing in huge red letters. Then it goes on to tell me how
> I can pay them extortion money (my words not theirs) "for as
> low as $49.95" to get rid of the shit. My homepage had also
> been replaced by a warning from them, that I was being watched,
> along with listing my DNS etc. etc. (I think I've gotten
> rid of that problem, but the wallpaper I haven't been able to.)
>
> All this crap started yesterday after very briefly visiting
> an adult site. I wish they all had one neck and my hands
> were around it.

Sounds like your hands where elsewhere, Foreskintic. See what happens when
your guards' down, even when your heads' up...

> It'll stop when these scum start being sent
> to prison for doing this. I've run HijackThis and Spybot,
> and have of course tried to change my wallpaper, but of course
> they've covered that and I can't override what they've done.
> Not yet anyway. Anybody know about this one and what to
> do to solve it? Thanks a bunch.
>
> --
> Flores

- Winux P

~ FreeSpirit ~

Sep 20, 2005, 9:28:39 PM9/20/05

> Any noob, at this point, in the western world, is a fool. Basic safe
> computing isn't an area of expertise, but a matter of common sense.
==========
I resent this. A matter of common sense when a noob has no way to know
what's out there? When I first got online 10 years ago I was as clueless as
the next person - we all learn as we go, as we read, listen and surf. I
tried to find information about lizards for my young step-daughter and the
next thing I knew I had been diverted to a bestiality porn site. I didn't
even know such things existed online - so give us a break!

>:-(

FS~

~ FreeSpirit ~

Sep 20, 2005, 9:31:35 PM9/20/05

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

> And by now most people in the western world should have learned. They
> really is little excuse other than poverty.

$$ Learned HOW? Us older people learned nothing about computers in school.
You sound like a real pompous ass to me.

> Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.

$$ Your are a pompous ass!

FS~

Trax

Sep 20, 2005, 11:04:57 PM9/20/05
flores...@hotmail.com wrote:

|>All this crap started yesterday after very briefly visiting
|>an adult site. I wish they all had one neck and my hands

|>were around it. It'll stop when these scum start being sent

|>to prison for doing this. I've run HijackThis and Spybot,
|>and have of course tried to change my wallpaper, but of course
|>they've covered that and I can't override what they've done.
|>Not yet anyway. Anybody know about this one and what to
|>do to solve it? Thanks a bunch.

There's not a web site I won't go to, seriously, and I have never
pick'd up any malware.
One reason is I run Opera, give it a try, it's free now (Ad-less)
http://opera.com/free/ and I run a hosts file.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:10:36 AM9/21/05

Cite.

There really is no good excuse for people to still be having spyware
problems, only lame excuses.

"I'm a stupid noob," is just a lame excuse.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:15:29 AM9/21/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:08:28 -0700, "Asher_N" <compg...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Most people in the western world do not have computers.
>
> I believe that. Even in my family - the generation ahead of mine has
> 3 people, one computer, my wife and myself have a computer apiece, my
> children and their spouses have 3, and my 4 grandchildren have zero.
> That's 13 people of which only 6 have computers at home. I suspect
> we're above average.

That's more than one computer per household.

It is a very rare household that doesn't have at least one computer.
Mostly the very poor, or the very old.

I make an exception for both poor and old. Other than those two, there
is no good excuse for getting spyware.

>> Most people in
>> the Western world that have access to computers do so at work, where
>> professional IT staff shields them from the complexity of security.
>
> I doubt that, but wouldn't be very surprised if you are correct here.
> Of course the term "the Western world" seems to be a variable,
> depending on what people want it to mean.

Western Europe, US and Canada.

>> Most
>> people in the Western world that have computers at home only access
>> the 'net through dial-up.
>
> I'd like to see figures here, especially if we only count those who
> use enough of the Internet to be vulnerable.

It doesn't matter how they connect to the net. It is not a good excuse
for being a fool that gets infected with spyware.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:22:28 AM9/21/05
flores...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Asher_N wrote:
>
>> Most people in the western world do not have computers. Most people
>> in the Western world that have access to computers do so at work,
>> where professional IT staff shields them from the complexity of
>> security.
>
> Our little impudent brat known as "kurttrail" would probably be
> surprised
> to learn that many high-level professionals rarely, if ever, surf
> the Web.

LOL! The higher you are, the more you get used to getting other people
to do the dirty work for you.

> He's probably some buck-toothed little urchin who plays
> with his machine all day and thinks he's actually doing something.:)

Whatever. At least I'm not stupid enough to get infected with spyware.

> BTW, I've solved my problems, and have learned a lot today.

Don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back.

> A BIG thanks to all of you, except of course the aforementioned
> ill-mannered dweeb.:)

The "ill-mannered" BS is in your own head.

But I really did love your lame excuse.

"I'm a high-level pro, help me fix my computer that is only broke
because of my own stupidity!"

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:23:59 AM9/21/05
Harold wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>

>> Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.
>
> There's only one fool in this thread.
> Why not try preventing ignorance by helping, rather than ridiculing?

In my experience, people need to get some negative reinforcement to get
them off their lazy asses.

> No matter whether its the Western, Eastern, Northern or Southern
> world. Or the third, fourth or fifth world.
>
> Over and out.

LOL! Roger Wilco!

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:25:57 AM9/21/05

Thanks for replying, and thereby enabling "aloahs," and making yourself
a hypocrite in one post.

That's really killing two birds with one stone.

in...@neuroni.org

Sep 21, 2005, 12:29:08 AM9/21/05
>> By your reply, "If you know how to search and interpret the results,
>> then you get nothing. Fools catch want they deserve.", if a person
>> doesn't know how to "search and interpret"...then he's a fool? Perhaps
>> he's a newbie (as we all were at one time) or unknowingly
>> clicked a link he shouldn't have. I consider myself an expert in
>> some business areas but would never call someone a fool because they
>> didn't know as much as I did in my particular area of expertise. IMO.
>

>Any noob, at this point, in the western world, is a fool. Basic safe
>computing isn't an area of expertise, but a matter of common sense.

Ye do greately err, sense is anything but common.

>And apologists for fools are scum.

and you are a turd.

-----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:30:31 AM9/21/05
Fitz wrote:
> Pride, arrogance and judgmental. It's not often I meet someone with
> all those qualities.

You still haven't met one. You may have read posts that in your
estimation are those qualities, but you haven't met me.

> I think you were a newbie once too...or did you
> instantly understand all the intricacies of web surfing when you
> first turned a computer on?

Yep, I was a noob. But guess what? I didn't go whining for help. I
sought it out on my own.

> Good luck in life.

No thanks.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:33:41 AM9/21/05
~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:ej37iUhv...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> And by now most people in the western world should have learned. They
>> really is little excuse other than poverty.
>
> $$ Learned HOW? Us older people learned nothing about computers in
> school.

Neither did I.

> You sound like a real pompous ass to me.

"Sound." What I really am is someone not willing to give fools easy
answers, and in the process enabling them to whine for help every time
they get the virtual asses in trouble due to their own lazy foolishness.

>> Keep enabling ignorance, by apologizing for fools.
>
> $$ Your are a pompous ass!

LOL! No. A**hole. And any man that isn't, is just a pansy.

nob...@firenze.linux.it

Sep 21, 2005, 12:38:28 AM9/21/05
This is a Type III anonymous message, sent to you by the Winston Smith
Project mixminion server at firenze.linux.it. If you do not want to
receive anonymous messages, please contact antani-
ad...@firenze.linux.it. For more information about anonymity, see
https://remailer.firenze.linux.it or
https://e-privacy.firenze.linux.it.

In <MJKdnZO6h5a...@comcast.com> "Timothy Daniels" <TDan...@NoSpamDot.com> wrote:
>"Casey Klc" wrote:
>> http://www.opera.com/
>

> Does anyone know how they make money if Opera
>is now free and without any ads?

Spyware backdoors built into the browser that allows them to compromise your
email, address book, browsing history, bookmarks, file transters and any other
tidbits like making copys of files with names like 'passwords.txt', pgp keyrings
you name it.

mostly, the tracking of user information, collected at your machine by the browser
while it's running, and then reported occasionally to any one of dozens of sites as
you surf normally, especially those that use flash animation.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 12:43:36 AM9/21/05
~ FreeSpirit ~ wrote:
> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:uvI2E4g...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Any noob, at this point, in the western world, is a fool. Basic safe
>> computing isn't an area of expertise, but a matter of common sense.
> ==========
> I resent this.

Are you an ignorant fool that keeps getting spyware infected over and
over again?

> A matter of common sense when a noob has no way to
> know what's out there?

The OP isn't a noob. Are you? If so, how long have you owned a
computer?

> When I first got online 10 years ago I was as
> clueless as the next person - we all learn as we go, as we read,
> listen and surf. I tried to find information about lizards for my
> young step-daughter and the next thing I knew I had been diverted to
> a bestiality porn site. I didn't even know such things existed
> online - so give us a break!

Ignorant fool. Bestiality porn is older than the net. Before clicking
on the link, did you look at the URL?

Did you have safe search on in your search engine preferences?

Did you have a real-time spyware and AV scanners installed and
up-to-date?

These are all common sense things to have and do. Do you buy a car
before you know how to drive? No?

Do you want your kids to have sex before having sex ed? No?

Then why the hell would you buy a computer without learning the
fundamentals of safe computing?

There is no good excuse for not educating yourself before heading out
into the virtual wild, wild west!

>> :-(

Your gonna wrinkle frowning like that. :)

Fitz

Fitz

Sep 21, 2005, 2:26:22 AM9/21/05
I'm not a newbie either...but I once was and I started with computers in
1970 (probably before you were born). I find that I can still learn by
visiting these newsgroups and in turn, maybe help some folks with their
problems. Most of the folks who contribute to these newsgroups enjoy
sharing their knowledge with the folks who've got a problem.

I also found your reply (below) to a post in another newsgroup:

"None of the regulars around here believes anything you say. Anyone can
fool a noob or two occasionally, even you, but that doesn't change the
fact, that you don't have any of the regular posters' respect, and as a
group there is hardly anything we all can agree on, except that you are
a useless piece of sh*t."

So you seem to believe that "Anyone can fool a noob or two occasionally...".
My point exactly.

--
***
NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the
developer, manufacturer or some entity that you trust. They ALWAYS have the
most up to date files that haven't been tampered with by some third party
who is "hosting" (read Leeching) those files without permission.
***

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 8:43:26 AM9/21/05
Fitz wrote:
> I'm not a newbie either...but I once was and I started with computers
> in 1970 (probably before you were born).

LOL! And you think you have met me!

> I find that I can still
> learn by visiting these newsgroups and in turn, maybe help some folks
> with their problems. Most of the folks who contribute to these
> newsgroups enjoy sharing their knowledge with the folks who've got a
> problem.

Yeah, so. I enjoy lighting fires under people's asses, motivating them
to really learn, rather than just getting someone to had them answers on
a silver platter, time and time again.

> I also found your reply (below) to a post in another newsgroup:
>
> "None of the regulars around here believes anything you say. Anyone
> can fool a noob or two occasionally, even you, but that doesn't
> change the fact, that you don't have any of the regular posters'
> respect, and as a group there is hardly anything we all can agree on,
> except that you are a useless piece of sh*t."

IIRC, that was said to a dumb schmuck, pcbutthead, who continually
solicits HJT logs in XP.GEN, which is a group that this thread is
cross-posted to.

> So you seem to believe that "Anyone can fool a noob or two
> occasionally...". My point exactly.

There is a sucker born every milli-second. Most suckers are
self-created though, like the "high-level pro" OP, and are more
deserving of ridicule than of having their hand held.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 8:48:34 AM9/21/05
in...@neuroni.org wrote:
> [...]

Mark 12:27

> sense is anything but common.

Only because scum like to enable fools by holding their hands all the
time.

>> And apologists for fools are scum.
>
> and you are a turd.

LOL! So?

Howard Brazee

Sep 21, 2005, 10:09:49 AM9/21/05
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:15:29 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>>> Most people in the western world do not have computers.
>>
>> I believe that. Even in my family - the generation ahead of mine has
>> 3 people, one computer, my wife and myself have a computer apiece, my
>> children and their spouses have 3, and my 4 grandchildren have zero.
>> That's 13 people of which only 6 have computers at home. I suspect
>> we're above average.
>
>That's more than one computer per household.

Sure. And I didn't mention how many computers we have (which is more
than 6 computers). The quote wasn't "Most people in the western
world do not have access to computers".

>>> Most people in
>>> the Western world that have access to computers do so at work, where
>>> professional IT staff shields them from the complexity of security.
>>
>> I doubt that, but wouldn't be very surprised if you are correct here.
>> Of course the term "the Western world" seems to be a variable,
>> depending on what people want it to mean.

> Western Europe, US and Canada.

My experience is limited, but it seems unlikely that most people here
who have access to computers do not have access to them outside of
work.

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 10:36:46 AM9/21/05
Howard Brazee wrote:

>>> I believe that. Even in my family - the generation ahead of mine
>>> has 3 people, one computer, my wife and myself have a computer
>>> apiece, my children and their spouses have 3, and my 4
>>> grandchildren have zero. That's 13 people of which only 6 have
>>> computers at home. I suspect we're above average.
>>
>> That's more than one computer per household.
>

> Sure. And I didn't mention how many computers we have (which is more
> than 6 computers). The quote wasn't "Most people in the western
> world do not have access to computers".

LOL! Having a computer in the home in which you live is good enough for
me.

I grew up in a one TV home. I wouldn't consider that I grew up not
having a TV just because I didn't have my own personal TV.

>>> I doubt that, but wouldn't be very surprised if you are correct
>>> here. Of course the term "the Western world" seems to be a variable,
>>> depending on what people want it to mean.
>
>> Western Europe, US and Canada.
>
> My experience is limited, but it seems unlikely that most people here
> who have access to computers do not have access to them outside of
> work.

What does that have to do with the Western World being Western Europe,
US and Canada.

Alias

Sep 21, 2005, 10:47:18 AM9/21/05

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

You're not including New Zealand and Australia? How about Japan?

Alias

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 11:02:47 AM9/21/05

Nope. There part of the Eastern World.

Howard Brazee

Sep 21, 2005, 3:01:25 PM9/21/05
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:36:46 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> My experience is limited, but it seems unlikely that most people here
>> who have access to computers do not have access to them outside of
>> work.
>
>What does that have to do with the Western World being Western Europe,
>US and Canada.

Only that I can't speak for outside of my experience.

I'm unwilling to accept as gospel what one person posts on this medium
without further evidence something that goes against my personal
experience though.

Bob I

Sep 21, 2005, 4:17:24 PM9/21/05
That is a wise method of dealing with the "new found publishing ability"
afforded by (and abused on )the internet.

Fitz

Sep 21, 2005, 4:53:34 PM9/21/05
If, in your "experience, people need to get some negative reinforcement to
get them off their lazy asses", you believe that to be true, perhaps you
should socialize and interact with people who don't need that.

--
***
NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the
developer, manufacturer or some entity that you trust. They ALWAYS have the
most up to date files that haven't been tampered with by some third party
who is "hosting" (read Leeching) those files without permission.
***

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 4:55:39 PM9/21/05

So does that mean that I grew up without a TV, just because we only had
one TV in a household of four people?

How does you purposeful ignorance answer that one?

kurttrail

Sep 21, 2005, 5:10:36 PM9/21/05
Fitz wrote:
> If, in your "experience, people need to get some negative
> reinforcement to get them off their lazy asses", you believe that to
> be true, perhaps you should socialize and interact with people who
> don't need that.

I do. But then again most of my friends aren't lazy fools that infect
their computers with spyware, and then look for someone else to hand
them the answer to their self-created problem on a silver platter, like
the OP.

If one of my friends, being a high-level pro, acted like the OP, then
they would get the same negative reinforcement, actually they probably
would get much worse.

rema...@invalid.com

Sep 22, 2005, 12:52:54 AM9/22/05

In <2N6Ye.71721$Jp.12...@twister.southeast.rr.com> "Fitz" <SENDN...@SENDNOMAIL.COM> wrote:
>--
>***
>NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the
>developer, manufacturer or some entity that you trust. They ALWAYS have the
>most up to date files that haven't been tampered with by some third party
>who is "hosting" (read Leeching) those files without permission.
>***

and THEN make double sure that they're pgp signed by the author(s) and that said
signatures actually verify.

-----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----

rema...@invalid.com

Sep 22, 2005, 1:42:56 AM9/22/05
>> I'm not a newbie either...but I once was and I started with computers
>> in 1970 (probably before you were born).
>
>LOL! And you think you have met me!
>
>> I find that I can still
>> learn by visiting these newsgroups and in turn, maybe help some folks
>> with their problems. Most of the folks who contribute to these
>> newsgroups enjoy sharing their knowledge with the folks who've got a
>> problem.
>
>Yeah, so. I enjoy lighting fires under people's asses, motivating them
>to really learn, rather than just getting someone to had them answers on
>a silver platter, time and time again.

the problem is that someday you are going to motivate someone to get a
shotgun and blow your farking head off.

I suggest you meditate on the concept of honey vs vinegar as attractants.

>> I also found your reply (below) to a post in another newsgroup:
>>
>> "None of the regulars around here believes anything you say. Anyone
>> can fool a noob or two occasionally, even you, but that doesn't
>> change the fact, that you don't have any of the regular posters'
>> respect, and as a group there is hardly anything we all can agree on,
>> except that you are a useless piece of sh*t."
>
>IIRC, that was said to a dumb schmuck, pcbutthead, who continually
>solicits HJT logs in XP.GEN, which is a group that this thread is
>cross-posted to.
>
>> So you seem to believe that "Anyone can fool a noob or two
>> occasionally...". My point exactly.
>
>There is a sucker born every milli-second. Most suckers are
>self-created though, like the "high-level pro" OP, and are more
>deserving of ridicule than of having their hand held.
>
>--
>Peace!
>Kurt
>Self-anointed Moderator
>microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

-----END TYPE III ANONYMOUS MESSAGE-----

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 9:11:41 AM9/22/05
rema...@invalid.com wrote:
> the problem is that someday you are going to motivate someone to get a
> shotgun and blow your farking head off.

LOL! I doubt that, unless you are making a veiled threat. Are you? Is
that your reason for posting through an anonymous remailer?

> I suggest you meditate on the concept of honey vs vinegar as
> attractants.

Was I the person begging for help? Nope. But I am the person in this
thread that has recieved the most replies, so you might want to do a
little meditating yourself.

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 9:26:07 AM9/22/05
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:55:39 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> I'm unwilling to accept as gospel what one person posts on this medium
>> without further evidence something that goes against my personal
>> experience though.
>
>So does that mean that I grew up without a TV, just because we only had
>one TV in a household of four people?
>
>How does you purposeful ignorance answer that one?

That wasn't the part I was questioning - I was questioning that most
people use dial-up. I recognized that it was possible that the
original post that "most people don't have computers" might be correct
- illustrating this by showing that infants and old folk are people.
If that isn't what was meant, then I might question that as well.

winddancer

Sep 22, 2005, 10:06:13 AM9/22/05
is this a help/discussion forum or a bitch session.i'm just blown away with
some of the bitchy crap....get on with it and assist someone
--
jo68

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 10:07:15 AM9/22/05

Again, Did I grow up without a TV just because we shared one in a
household of four?

> If that isn't what was meant, then I might question that as well.

LOL! Dial-up is of little consequence. A fool can get there computer
infected with spywae whether using dial-up or broadband.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 10:17:25 AM9/22/05
winddancer wrote:
> is this a help/discussion forum or a bitch session.i'm just blown
> away with some of the bitchy crap....get on with it and assist someone

I am. Spreading the fact that mostly only deserving fools get their
computers infected with spyware.

winddancer

Sep 22, 2005, 10:34:14 AM9/22/05
good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there computer
mishaps aren't they.not everyone is born with a computer in their head when
there born.CHILLOUT YA-ALL
--
jo68

Notan

Sep 22, 2005, 10:43:49 AM9/22/05
kurttrail wrote:

> winddancer wrote:
> > is this a help/discussion forum or a bitch session.i'm just blown
> > away with some of the bitchy crap....get on with it and assist someone
>
> I am. Spreading the fact that mostly only deserving fools get their
> computers infected with spyware.

"Deserving fools?" I don't think so.

More like, those who aren't computer savvy.

Notan

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 11:02:35 AM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:07:15 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>Again, Did I grow up without a TV just because we shared one in a
>household of four?

The answer to this non-sequitur is no.

I explained why your question did not apply to my post. You asked it
again, so I answered it. That doesn't change what I said.

>> If that isn't what was meant, then I might question that as well.
>
>LOL! Dial-up is of little consequence. A fool can get there computer
>infected with spywae whether using dial-up or broadband.

Not necessarily there computer, but even here computer.

Still someone made a statement about populations and I questioned
those numbers. I agree that it doesn't make any difference about
what protection is needed, but I'd still like to know what the numbers
are.

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 11:08:16 AM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:17:25 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> is this a help/discussion forum or a bitch session.i'm just blown
>> away with some of the bitchy crap....get on with it and assist someone
>
>I am. Spreading the fact that mostly only deserving fools get their
>computers infected with spyware.

It's not a fact. Besides undeserving fools, there's a constant
battle where people write new spyware which bypasses earlier defenses.
Sometimes they're ahead of diligent defenders.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 12:24:01 PM9/22/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:07:15 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>> Again, Did I grow up without a TV just because we shared one in a
>> household of four?
>
> The answer to this non-sequitur is no.
>
> I explained why your question did not apply to my post. You asked it
> again, so I answered it. That doesn't change what I said.

It takes the wind out of your infants not having computers sail. And as
for the elderly, that only applies to the small percentage of extreme
elderly. Much of the population where I live are retired, and most of
them have computers nowadays, if only to get pictures of the grandkids
by email.

>>> If that isn't what was meant, then I might question that as well.
>>
>> LOL! Dial-up is of little consequence. A fool can get there
>> computer infected with spywae whether using dial-up or broadband.
>
> Not necessarily there computer, but even here computer.
>
> Still someone made a statement about populations and I questioned
> those numbers. I agree that it doesn't make any difference about
> what protection is needed, but I'd still like to know what the numbers
> are.

LOL! Who cares but you? Just do a little googling of your own if you
are so interested in the percentage of dial-uppers.

When my broadband goes down, I still use dial up as a back up, so good
luck finding any meaningful statistics.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 12:32:40 PM9/22/05
winddancer wrote:
> good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there
> computer mishaps aren't they.

No. They are for communicating. And I am helping by communicating that
much of the spyware problem is caused by fools infecting their own
computers.

> not everyone is born with a computer in
> their head when there born.CHILLOUT YA-ALL

Did I say they were? Before buying my first computer, I knew about
anti-virus protection, eventhough viruses weren't as widespread as they
are today. People have to learn to fend for themselves when it comes to
safe computing, and coddling them isn't a big help, as it just enables
them to sit back on their fat lazy stupid asses.

The best anti-spyware protection isn't software but a proactive computer
user using common sense.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 12:35:46 PM9/22/05

And coddling them doesn't get them more computer savvy. All it does is
keep them reliant on being coddled, while they continue to sit on their
fat lazy asses learning nothing. And you enablers are just part of the
problem, instead of part of the solution.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 12:38:54 PM9/22/05

I got no problems. And I'm certainly not the most intelligent person on
the planet.

> Sometimes they're ahead of diligent defenders.

LOL! All they need to do is learn a little common sense, but won't as
long as they can't find someone to continue to coddle them and enable
them sitting back on their fat lazy foolish asses.

Alias

Sep 22, 2005, 1:00:57 PM9/22/05

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote

It takes the wind out of your infants not having computers sail. And as
for the elderly, that only applies to the small percentage of extreme
elderly. Much of the population where I live are retired, and most of
them have computers nowadays, if only to get pictures of the grandkids
by email.<<<

How old does one have to be to qualify as "elderly" or "extremely elderly"?
My father's online and he's 80. So are all his octogenarian friends, all of
whom have no problem affording good computers and broadband. I know a lady
here in Spain who has a lap top for when she's in bed, a desktop for serious
stuff and WiFi. She's in her eighties as well. All her octogenarian friends
keep up on what's happening by IMing each other. I would say that older
people who know how to touch type do better than some of the two finger
"experts" that take up to an hour to type out a letter ... and only know
when to hit F8 to get into Safe Mode or OK or Accept when installing a
program or running a mem test, virus test, virus update downloads, etc.

Alias

Notan

Sep 22, 2005, 1:03:31 PM9/22/05
kurttrail wrote:

> Notan wrote:
> > kurttrail wrote:

> >> I am. Spreading the fact that mostly only deserving fools get their
> >> computers infected with spyware.
> >
> > "Deserving fools?" I don't think so.
> >
> > More like, those who aren't computer savvy.
>
> And coddling them doesn't get them more computer savvy. All it does is
> keep them reliant on being coddled, while they continue to sit on their
> fat lazy asses learning nothing. And you enablers are just part of the
> problem, instead of part of the solution.

There's a big difference between "coddling" and "teaching."

You sound like someone from the "sink or swim" school.

Notan

Alias

Sep 22, 2005, 1:07:18 PM9/22/05

In the heat of the night, I could have sworn I heard "kurttrail" exclaim:

> winddancer wrote:
>> good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there
>> computer mishaps aren't they.
>
> No. They are for communicating. And I am helping by communicating that
> much of the spyware problem is caused by fools infecting their own
> computers.

Perhaps it would be better to say "hapless, unknowing users" rather than
"fools", although, technically, you're correct; to not educate yourself is
foolish. It's not like spyware, viruses, etc. haven't made the evening news
or anything.

>> not everyone is born with a computer in
>> their head when there born.CHILLOUT YA-ALL
>
> Did I say they were? Before buying my first computer, I knew about
> anti-virus protection, eventhough viruses weren't as widespread as they
> are today. People have to learn to fend for themselves when it comes to
> safe computing, and coddling them isn't a big help, as it just enables
> them to sit back on their fat lazy stupid asses.
>
> The best anti-spyware protection isn't software but a proactive computer
> user using common sense.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt

I agree. Safe hex is the best way. You don't get to see any elephants
copulating with amazon women but that's why we have DVDs and cable TV,
right?

Alias

Notan

Sep 22, 2005, 1:16:52 PM9/22/05
Alias wrote:

> In the heat of the night, I could have sworn I heard "kurttrail" exclaim:
>
> > winddancer wrote:
> >> good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there
> >> computer mishaps aren't they.
> >
> > No. They are for communicating. And I am helping by communicating that
> > much of the spyware problem is caused by fools infecting their own
> > computers.
>
> Perhaps it would be better to say "hapless, unknowing users" rather than
> "fools", although, technically, you're correct; to not educate yourself is
> foolish. It's not like spyware, viruses, etc. haven't made the evening news
> or anything.

Brilliant. Both of you.

You make fun of people, because they're not as computer knowledgeable as you,
then you wonder why they don't ask question to *become* more knowledgeable.

I'd say, *you're* the fools.

Notan

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 1:20:20 PM9/22/05

Extremely elderly = those that cannot take care of themsleves anymore.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 1:24:10 PM9/22/05
Alias wrote:
> In the heat of the night, I could have sworn I heard "kurttrail"
> exclaim:
>> winddancer wrote:
>>> good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there
>>> computer mishaps aren't they.
>>
>> No. They are for communicating. And I am helping by communicating
>> that much of the spyware problem is caused by fools infecting their
>> own computers.
>
> Perhaps it would be better to say "hapless, unknowing users" rather
> than "fools", although, technically, you're correct; to not educate
> yourself is foolish. It's not like spyware, viruses, etc. haven't
> made the evening news or anything.

Yeah. At this point, I'd give my AARP mom grief over getting spyware.

>>> not everyone is born with a computer in
>>> their head when there born.CHILLOUT YA-ALL
>>
>> Did I say they were? Before buying my first computer, I knew about
>> anti-virus protection, eventhough viruses weren't as widespread as
>> they are today. People have to learn to fend for themselves when it
>> comes to safe computing, and coddling them isn't a big help, as it
>> just enables them to sit back on their fat lazy stupid asses.
>>
>> The best anti-spyware protection isn't software but a proactive
>> computer user using common sense.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>
> I agree. Safe hex is the best way. You don't get to see any elephants
> copulating with amazon women but that's why we have DVDs and cable TV,
> right?
>
> Alias

LOL! Got a link to the amazon women w/ elephants site? ;-)

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 1:35:35 PM9/22/05

Giving answers is coddling, and only teaches people to be dependant on
begging for answers, instead of motivating them to seek out answers for
themselves, and thinking for themselves.

> You sound like someone from the "sink or swim" school.

Give someone a fish, and they'll be back tomorrow to get another fish
from you. Motivate someone to fish for themselves, then they'll won't
be bothering you again for fish.

Remember, the OP is a self-professed "high-level pro." He really has no
good excuse for his disfunctional behavior of begging for help.

Hell, my own AARP mother, that has owned a computer for at least 8 years
would have no good excuse for being such a fool as this "high-level pro"
of an OP.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 1:43:25 PM9/22/05

There are very few noobs left in the English-speaking world, so anyone
that is still getting their computer infected with spyware can't fall
back on "I'm just a noob" defense, especially the self-proffessed
"high-level pro" of an OP. And being as computer knowledgeable as me is
hardly all that necessary. All it takes is some common sense.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 1:50:37 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:32:40 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there
>> computer mishaps aren't they.
>
>No. They are for communicating. And I am helping by communicating that
>much of the spyware problem is caused by fools infecting their own
>computers.

Who are you helping? (Only people on this forum are reading your
posts).

How are you helping them? (By persuading us that software shouldn't
be safer - because the victims deserve what they get?)

Notan

Sep 22, 2005, 2:04:02 PM9/22/05
kurttrail wrote:

> <snip>

> There are very few noobs left in the English-speaking world, so anyone
> that is still getting their computer infected with spyware can't fall
> back on "I'm just a noob" defense, especially the self-proffessed
> "high-level pro" of an OP. And being as computer knowledgeable as me is
> hardly all that necessary. All it takes is some common sense.

A concept, that you don't seem to grasp, is that people have to be given
enough information to ask a question.

Y'know, what? You're really not worth discussing this with.

I'm outta here.

Notan

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 2:02:56 PM9/22/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:32:40 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>> good onya ,and these forums are suppose to assist people with there
>>> computer mishaps aren't they.
>>
>> No. They are for communicating. And I am helping by communicating
>> that much of the spyware problem is caused by fools infecting their
>> own computers.
>
> Who are you helping? (Only people on this forum are reading your
> posts).

If I get one person to reconsider to continue to enable fat lazy fools,
then I feel I have helped.

And these aren't forums, but newsgroups.

> How are you helping them? (By persuading us that software shouldn't
> be safer - because the victims deserve what they get?)

Where did I say anything about software shouldn't be safer? Quote me.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 2:11:06 PM9/22/05
Notan wrote:
> kurttrail wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> There are very few noobs left in the English-speaking world, so
>> anyone that is still getting their computer infected with spyware
>> can't fall back on "I'm just a noob" defense, especially the
>> self-proffessed "high-level pro" of an OP. And being as computer
>> knowledgeable as me is hardly all that necessary. All it takes is
>> some common sense.
>
> A concept, that you don't seem to grasp, is that people have to be
> given enough information to ask a question.

A link to a web page would suffice. Better yet a link to a Google
search. Along with the admonition that they are a fool for getting
their computer infected with spyware in the first place.

> Y'know, what? You're really not worth discussing this with.

LOL! Too late for you, fool.

> I'm outta here.

Outta where? You were never here.

> Notan

Change "Notan" to "KnowNothing."

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 2:19:00 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:02:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> Who are you helping? (Only people on this forum are reading your
>> posts).
>
>If I get one person to reconsider to continue to enable fat lazy fools,
>then I feel I have helped.

Life's all about helping others. Even if they are fools. Is the
world better off when fools suffer than when fools don't suffer?

>And these aren't forums, but newsgroups.

Newsgroups aren't types of forums?

>> How are you helping them? (By persuading us that software shouldn't
>> be safer - because the victims deserve what they get?)
>
>Where did I say anything about software shouldn't be safer? Quote me.

If people deserve to be punished for being foolish, then the
implication is that we shouldn't work to prevent them from their just
consequences.

You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
consequences of their foolishness.

Fitz

Sep 22, 2005, 2:28:13 PM9/22/05
Amen to that.
--
***
NEVER download files from anywhere unless it is from the website of the
developer, manufacturer or some entity that you trust. They ALWAYS have the
most up to date files that haven't been tampered with by some third party
who is "hosting" (read Leeching) those files without permission.
***

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
<SNIP>

> I got no problems. And I'm certainly not the most intelligent person on
> the planet.

<SNIP>

Notan

Sep 22, 2005, 2:31:13 PM9/22/05

Again, I'd imagine that there's no reasoning with little Kurt.

Apparently, he's the the type of person that thinks calling a
fat person "fat" is a good motivator for weight loss.

Anything else would be coddling.

Take care!

Notan

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 2:31:05 PM9/22/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:02:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>> Who are you helping? (Only people on this forum are reading your
>>> posts).
>>
>> If I get one person to reconsider to continue to enable fat lazy
>> fools, then I feel I have helped.
>
> Life's all about helping others. Even if they are fools. Is the
> world better off when fools suffer than when fools don't suffer?

It is better off when they aren't enabled by others to continue in their
foolish ways.

>> And these aren't forums, but newsgroups.
>
> Newsgroups aren't types of forums?

Nope.

>>> How are you helping them? (By persuading us that software
>>> shouldn't be safer - because the victims deserve what they get?)
>>
>> Where did I say anything about software shouldn't be safer? Quote
>> me.
>
> If people deserve to be punished for being foolish, then the
> implication is that we shouldn't work to prevent them from their just
> consequences.

No, that isn't my implication at all. Negative reinforcement isn't
necessarily a punishment. Much of the time, it is just not
candy-coating the truth.

> You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
> consequences of their foolishness.

LOL! You are a born enabler.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 2:32:36 PM9/22/05
Fitz wrote:

> "kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message news:O0ebgQ5...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> <SNIP>
>>
>> I got no problems. And I'm certainly not the most intelligent
>> person on the planet.
>>
> Amen to that.

Yep. Yet I'm smart enough to not get spyware on my computer.

Kephryn

Sep 22, 2005, 2:37:31 PM9/22/05
Fitz wrote:
> Amen to that.
I dont see where this discussion is going.

What get linux so fat people dont have to clean spyware?

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 3:03:05 PM9/22/05
Notan wrote:
> Howard Brazee wrote:

>>> If I get one person to reconsider to continue to enable fat lazy
>>> fools, then I feel I have helped.
>>
>> Life's all about helping others. Even if they are fools. Is the
>> world better off when fools suffer than when fools don't suffer?
>>
>>> And these aren't forums, but newsgroups.
>>
>> Newsgroups aren't types of forums?

>>> Where did I say anything about software shouldn't be safer? Quote
>>> me.
>>
>> If people deserve to be punished for being foolish, then the
>> implication is that we shouldn't work to prevent them from their just
>> consequences.
>>
>> You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
>> consequences of their foolishness.
>
> Again, I'd imagine that there's no reasoning with little Kurt.

You'd have to use reason first.

> Apparently, he's the the type of person that thinks calling a
> fat person "fat" is a good motivator for weight loss.

Yeah, I will tell a woman that she is fat, when asked if she fat. I
like telling the truth.

> Anything else would be coddling.

And not telling the truth.

> Take care!

It would seem you need to.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 3:09:46 PM9/22/05

Use common sense while browsing the web, and if you end up getting your
computer infected with spyware, find out how to remove it on your own,
as there are plenty of web pages with the info.

IOW, Don't be a fat lazy fool that expects to get help from others every
time you stub your toe, as you should have been looking where you were
going in the first place.

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 3:08:11 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:31:05 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> Life's all about helping others. Even if they are fools. Is the
>> world better off when fools suffer than when fools don't suffer?
>
>It is better off when they aren't enabled by others to continue in their
>foolish ways.

But earlier in the thread you (I think), said they deserve punishment.

But responding to your statement here:

How so?

Give an example of the enabling you are referring to, and tell us how
the world would be better off if that enabling did not occur.

I have to admit that I'm not sure how to enable a fool to download bad
stuff other than by making the software less safe - which you said
you're not advocating. Actual examples will be meaningful.

>>> And these aren't forums, but newsgroups.
>>
>> Newsgroups aren't types of forums?
>
>Nope.

Quick definitions (Forum)

# noun: a public facility to meet for open discussion
# noun: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion

So what part of these definitions don't apply?

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 3:10:34 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:31:05 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
>> consequences of their foolishness.
>
>LOL! You are a born enabler.

By recognizing that I can't make people smarter? Or by protecting
myself from them?

If I am an enabler - what do I do, or what *can* I do to enable these
fools? What do you do differently?

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 3:15:11 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:31:13 -0600, Notan <no...@ddress.com> wrote:

>> If people deserve to be punished for being foolish, then the
>> implication is that we shouldn't work to prevent them from their just
>> consequences.
>>
>> You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
>> consequences of their foolishness.
>
>Again, I'd imagine that there's no reasoning with little Kurt.
>
>Apparently, he's the the type of person that thinks calling a
>fat person "fat" is a good motivator for weight loss.
>
>Anything else would be coddling.

In the case of foolish computing the consequences are different from
being fat. I could let someone play with a loaded handgun trusting
that the only person who got hurt was the person playing with that
gun, and he would deserve what he got.

Except I'm smart enough to see that we all pay for the damage. And I
would prefer to be protected from that fool's actions. But then I'd
be as big of a fool as Kurt is, and just as deserving of the
consequences.

Kephryn

Sep 22, 2005, 3:18:11 PM9/22/05
kurttrail wrote:
> Kephryn wrote:
>
>>Fitz wrote:
>>
>>>Amen to that.
>>
>>I dont see where this discussion is going.
>>
>>What get linux so fat people dont have to clean spyware?
>

> Use common sense while browsing the web, and if you end up getting your
> computer infected with spyware, find out how to remove it on your own,
> as there are plenty of web pages with the info.
>
> IOW, Don't be a fat lazy fool that expects to get help from others every
> time you stub your toe, as you should have been looking where you were
> going in the first place.

I understand your point of view, but if that is the only reason of the
discussion and your participation then there isnt a point to your point
of view.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 3:22:05 PM9/22/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:31:05 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>> Life's all about helping others. Even if they are fools. Is the
>>> world better off when fools suffer than when fools don't suffer?
>>
>> It is better off when they aren't enabled by others to continue in
>> their foolish ways.
>
> But earlier in the thread you (I think), said they deserve punishment.

No I didn't. Quote me.

> But responding to your statement here:
>
> How so?
>
> Give an example of the enabling you are referring to, and tell us how
> the world would be better off if that enabling did not occur.

Right here.

> I have to admit that I'm not sure how to enable a fool to download bad
> stuff other than by making the software less safe - which you said
> you're not advocating. Actual examples will be meaningful.

A habitually crying baby. Keep paying attention to them every time they
cry, and all you teach them is that crying gets them attention.

Same thing with people expecting to get help with preventable malware on
their computer. Instead of learning how to avoid the malware in the
first place, by coddling them and handing them removal instructions,
they don't learn to prevent the malware, but become dependent on other
to help them remove it.

>>> Newsgroups aren't types of forums?
>>
>> Nope.
>
> Quick definitions (Forum)
>
> # noun: a public facility to meet for open discussion
> # noun: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
>

> So what part of these definitions don't apply?

MS groups aren't totally open discussions. They are often censored,
especially when Brannugget is on the rag.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 3:31:50 PM9/22/05

Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

"Howard Brazee" <how...@brazee.net> wrote in message

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 3:38:29 PM9/22/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:31:05 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>> You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
>>> consequences of their foolishness.
>>
>> LOL! You are a born enabler.
>
> By recognizing that I can't make people smarter? Or by protecting
> myself from them?

By accepting that people cannot be motivated to rise above their own
foolishness.

How are you protecting yourself from them?

> If I am an enabler - what do I do, or what *can* I do to enable these
> fools? What do you do differently?

LOL! Supplying them motivation not to continue in their foolish ways,
by not excepting their excuses for getting their computers infected with
spyware, and by telling them the truth that they are more fools, than
victims.

If someone tells you that a lamp is not plugged in, and to bend up the
contact to fix a lamp socket, and you do it and get shocked, then you've
been victimized. If you keep doing it over and over again, then you are
just a fool.

kurttrail

Sep 22, 2005, 3:43:56 PM9/22/05
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:31:13 -0600, Notan <no...@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>> If people deserve to be punished for being foolish, then the
>>> implication is that we shouldn't work to prevent them from their
>>> just consequences.
>>>
>>> You can't make people smarter, all you can do is mitigate the
>>> consequences of their foolishness.
>>
>> Again, I'd imagine that there's no reasoning with little Kurt.
>>
>> Apparently, he's the the type of person that thinks calling a
>> fat person "fat" is a good motivator for weight loss.
>>
>> Anything else would be coddling.
>
> In the case of foolish computing the consequences are different from
> being fat. I could let someone play with a loaded handgun trusting
> that the only person who got hurt was the person playing with that
> gun, and he would deserve what he got.

HUH? Both of those affect other people. I guess you never had to sit
next to some fat f*#ker on an airplane. And playing with guns gets
people shot, and not only those doing the playing.

> Except I'm smart enough to see that we all pay for the damage. And I
> would prefer to be protected from that fool's actions. But then I'd
> be as big of a fool as Kurt is, and just as deserving of the
> consequences.

What consequences are there for you if someone gets spyware on their
computer?

Kephryn

Sep 22, 2005, 3:52:50 PM9/22/05
My consequence, I get Paid for cleaning it.

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 4:15:49 PM9/22/05
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:22:05 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> But earlier in the thread you (I think), said they deserve punishment.
>
>No I didn't. Quote me.

OK. How's this?

>I am. Spreading the fact that mostly only deserving fools get their
>computers infected with spyware.
>

>--
>Peace!
>Kurt
>Self-anointed Moderator

I read this as saying they are deserving of getting infected. Maybe
that's not what you meant. If not, well, I've been known to say
other than I've meant too.

Howard Brazee

Sep 22, 2005, 4:18:26 PM9/22/05

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:22:05 -0400, "kurttrail"
<donte...@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>> Quick definitions (Forum)
>>
>> # noun: a public facility to meet for open discussion
>> # noun: a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
>>

>> So what part of these definitions don't apply?
>
>MS groups aren't totally open discussions. They are often censored,
>especially when Brannugget is on the rag.

Virtually all forums have some degree of censorship sometimes.

It is loading more messages.