Re: Cpu Upgrade re-Activation needed?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Jun 8, 2005, 7:33:59 PM6/8/05
Maybe, maybe not. You'll know the answer when you boot
back into Windows.....takes 5 seconds to reactivate if you
are prompted to do so.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"mljk" wrote:

| If I upgrade my CPU (OS is windows XP pro), will I need to re-register my XP?
|
| Thank you.

Alias

Jun 8, 2005, 7:46:11 PM6/8/05

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfr...@nospamgmail.com> wrote

> Maybe, maybe not. You'll know the answer when you boot
> back into Windows.....takes 5 seconds to reactivate if you
> are prompted to do so.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch

It takes 5 seconds if you're lucky and don't have to waste your time
speaking to some MS activation person about permission to use something you
paid for and you know it, Carey. Why do you mislead people like that?

Alias

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Jun 8, 2005, 7:53:22 PM6/8/05
Based on my own personal experience, it does not
take longer than 5 seconds to activate. If you need
to activate by phone, then it takes maybe 5 minutes.
No big deal whatsoever!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Alias

Jun 8, 2005, 7:59:27 PM6/8/05

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfr...@nospamgmail.com>

> Based on my own personal experience, it does not
> take longer than 5 seconds to activate. If you need
> to activate by phone, then it takes maybe 5 minutes.
> No big deal whatsoever!
>
> --
> Carey Frisch

A couple of days ago someone posted that it took him three hours to phone
activate. Then again, we can't expect you to post anything but the company
line, now can we?

Cody

beb

Jun 8, 2005, 8:15:24 PM6/8/05
I have reactivated on many occasions and have had Carey's experience. I have
never had to speak to anyone.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Alias

Jun 8, 2005, 8:20:21 PM6/8/05
Change your motherboard and NIC card and see what happens.

Alias

"beb" <som...@someplace.com> wrote

health_...@solution4u.com

Jun 8, 2005, 8:48:48 PM6/8/05
You know, its so funny seeing some of these messages where people are
saying they have activated their copy of xp xxx number of times without
a hitch. First, it is not a question of it being "without a hitch" but
a question of being deemed a thief over and over and over until you
prove you are not by a company that itself was subpoenaed to appear
before a Senate Investigation Committee concerning its questionable and
unethical business practices. I doubt any of the honest purchasers of
XP that are having to prove they didn't steal the software have ever
been subpoenaed to appear before a Senate Investigation Committee so
who really is the crook here?

Anyway, question for the day for all those that have reactivated their
copy of XP without a hitch xxx number of times. Just how many times do
you think you have to reactivate your honestly paid for copy of XP
before M$ figures out that you are NOT A THIEF? Inversely, how many
times does a Pirate have to reactivate their copy of XP.... Whoops,
forgot, Pirates don't have to Activate and Verify to use the
software, only the honest owners of the software do.... Hummmm..
Something don't seem to add up here..... Lets see.... Activation
and verification is a scheme to thwart Piracy but Pirates don't have
to activate or verify. Put another way.... The only people that have
to prove they didn't steal the software are the people that....
didn't steal the software.

Am I the only one that seems to miss the logic in this scheme?

NIK
I must be an honest person because I had to activate and verify.

kurttrail

Jun 8, 2005, 8:51:04 PM6/8/05
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Based on my own personal experience, it does not
> take longer than 5 seconds to activate. If you need
> to activate by phone, then it takes maybe 5 minutes.
> No big deal whatsoever!

Yeah, and base on what you said was your personal experience, you said
that a person couldn't do a repair install to downgrade from SP2 to SP1,
which definitely isn't the case.

Your personal experience is suspect, at best!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Jun 8, 2005, 9:52:42 PM6/8/05
I said:

"based on my own personal experience", not some
phony-baloney "company line" as you insinuate.
Microsoft does not dictate to MVPs what they can
say or not say....they are free to express their personal
opinions and eXPeriences.

--
Carey Frisch

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Jun 8, 2005, 10:01:31 PM6/8/05
Q: "Am I the only one that seems to miss the logic in this scheme?"

A. Apparently so as your stated assumptions are not at all honest or logical.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

mljk

Jun 8, 2005, 10:23:07 PM6/8/05

It looks like I better wait until I buy some more memory to make one bit of
it.

I wish it not so unfair for someone like me who bought XP upgrade to need to
re-register; I purchased 2 Win-Me and never had that problem.

Is the pirated ones just as good as the one I bought?
It sounds good that you don’t need to call the policing XP Company.

I had to call last year when I upgraded my memory, it’s not funny.

I know if I put my shoe in MS position I would understand why they do this
activation crap…. However they have made enough to cover the costs to make
One OS and burn those millions of times over.
In fact I believe they are rich off of people like me who tries to keep up
with their programs legally.
So back in my shoe, why put we through the hell of listening to someone live
calling out numbers so fast you have to ask them to repeat themselves, and
then they cop an attitude towards you… for others it’s a breeze, but not for
me when I upgraded my memory… my stupid memory!!!

They should know me by now, they have my email address I used from the day
Win-Me came out.

It’s scary… suppose they tell me they cannot give me an authorization code?
I know, I know it will not happen ‘cause I purchased a legal copy from
fry’s, and if they do tell me to rot in hell then I will go the pirate way.

I am having pressure over this.
This is totally not fair to me.

mljk

Jun 8, 2005, 10:23:04 PM6/8/05

It looks like I better wait until I buy some more memory to make one bit of
it.

I wish it not so unfair for someone like me who bought XP upgrade to need to
re-register; I purchased 2 Win-Me and never had that problem.

Is the pirated ones just as good as the one I bought?
It sounds good that you don’t need to call the policing XP Company.

I had to call last year when I upgraded my memory, it’s not funny.

I know if I put my shoe in MS position I would understand why they do this
activation crap…. However they have made enough to cover the costs to make
One OS and burn those millions of times over.
In fact I believe they are rich off of people like me who tries to keep up
with their programs legally.

So back in my shoe, why put me through the hell of listening to someone live

calling out numbers so fast you have to ask them to repeat themselves, and
then they cop an attitude towards you… for others it’s a breeze, but not for
me when I upgraded my memory… my stupid memory!!!

They should know me by now, they have my email address I used from the day
Win-Me came out.

It’s scary… suppose they tell me they cannot give me an authorization code?
I know, I know it will not happen ‘cause I purchased a legal copy from
fry’s, and if they do tell me to rot in hell then I will go the pirate way.

I am having pressure over this.
This is totally not fair to me.

My back is hurting over this.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Jun 8, 2005, 10:29:34 PM6/8/05
Q: "Is the pirated ones just as good as the one I bought?"

A: Absolutely not! Pirated versions of Windows XP are not eligible for any
critical updates whatsoever and leaves you wide-open to potential
security vulnerabilities!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

health_...@solution4u.com

Jun 8, 2005, 10:44:32 PM6/8/05
Not to a company programmed clone such as yourself but to anyone else
that has self thought capability....

NIK
I must not be a Pirate because I had to activate.

health_...@solution4u.com

Jun 8, 2005, 10:58:44 PM6/8/05
Company Programmed Clone Lie.

mljk, don't listen to the M$ Clone's lies about this. Today's pirates
are using regular OEM or Retail copies of the software (same as you
have). Nothing is taken away from the software except its need to
activate or the new verification during updates. What the Pirates do
is run one or more of the many circumventing utilities available on the
web against the OEM or Retail version to bypass the software's need to
validate and verify.

NIK

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Q: "Is the pirated ones just as good as the one I bought?"
>
> A: Absolutely not! Pirated versions of Windows XP are not eligible for any
> critical updates whatsoever and leaves you wide-open to potential
> security vulnerabilities!
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "mljk" wrote:
>
> | It looks like I better wait until I buy some more memory to make one bit of
> | it.
> |

> | I wish it not so unfair for someone like me who bought XP upgrade to need to
> | re-register; I purchased 2 Win-Me and never had that problem.
> |
> | Is the pirated ones just as good as the one I bought?
> | It sounds good that you don't need to call the policing XP Company.
> |

> | I had to call last year when I upgraded my memory, it's not funny.
> |

> | I know if I put my shoe in MS position I would understand why they do this

> | activation crap.... However they have made enough to cover the costs to make

> | One OS and burn those millions of times over.
> | In fact I believe they are rich off of people like me who tries to keep up
> | with their programs legally.
> | So back in my shoe, why put we through the hell of listening to someone live
> | calling out numbers so fast you have to ask them to repeat themselves, and

> | then they cop an attitude towards you... for others it's a breeze, but not for
> | me when I upgraded my memory... my stupid memory!!!

> | They should know me by now, they have my email address I used from the day
> | Win-Me came out.
> |

> | It's scary... suppose they tell me they cannot give me an authorization code?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Jun 8, 2005, 10:57:39 PM6/8/05
Please do not respond unless you have an
intelligent question or comment. Hope you
are finishing junior high school soon...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"health_wellness"wrote:

| Not to a company programmed clone such as yourself but to anyone else

health_...@solution4u.com

Jun 8, 2005, 11:23:26 PM6/8/05
Back when, the only way to do it was to download an already pirated
version of XP (big, Big, BIG FILE). Today it is different. Today,
anyone wishing to circumvent the validation and/or the new verification
schemes can simply run small specific utilities that can be found
anywhere on the web against the OEM or Retail versions of the software
you already have in your hands. Actually, reading up on it on another
screen here, it says "Most" OEM versions and "ALL" Retain versions up
to versions/builds #xxxxx depending on who's utilties you are using.

Don't let any of these Programmed M$ Clones tell you that it is a copy
of XP that is not as secure or stable. That's an all out company lie.
These days, it's your copy of the software with nothing changed or
taken away but the activation and new verification scheme.

NIK

health_...@solution4u.com

Jun 8, 2005, 11:33:37 PM6/8/05
You're the one who seems to have thoughts of "Junior High School".
Unlike you, I hadn't thought about it since passing puberty back in the
50's. You'll understand when you grow up there Kid. You also learn to
develop self-thought and less likely to spew the programmed company
rhetoric as maturity comes on. But it takes more than maturity to
learn how to not lie.

See ya' Kid.....

NIK

Shooter

Jun 9, 2005, 12:18:26 AM6/9/05
On 8 Jun 2005 20:23:26 -0700, health_...@solution4u.com wrote:

>Today,
>anyone wishing to circumvent the validation and/or the new verification
>schemes can simply run small specific utilities that can be found
>anywhere on the web

You mean Activation instead of Validation don't you?

I read that they had cracked MS's verification during updates hoop
within days of its implementation.

I usually do a full restoration twice a year on my White Boxes just to
clear the trash and junk out. To keep from having to deal with MS's
silly shit, every time I reload my legally paid for copies of XP, I
simply made a ghost image of the systems as they stand with nothing
more than the OS loaded and Activated. Then every 6 months when I
decide to do a restoration, I just restore from that already activated
image. When I did SP2, I did it on the fresh restored image of
already activated SP1 and then made a new image. I've had these two
copies of XP since 2001 now and have reloaded them (from ghost images)
around 10-12 times each and only activated them one time each (the
first time I used them).

Now, I haven't done a lot of hardware upgrades or not enough to make
MS think my copies of XP have all of a sudden changed from being
legally paid for to all of a sudden stolen. But, if and when I do
start hardware upgrades and face having to prove my innocence of
thievery to MS, I may just opt to use the cracks and not be bothered
with Bill's silly shit even though I am the legally paid for owner of
the software. I already know a lot of computer "tinkerers" that have
cracked their legally paid for copies of XP so they don't have to be
activating every time they turn around and change a part out.

Regards,

Deepak

Jun 8, 2005, 9:52:34 PM6/8/05

mljk Wrote:
> If I upgrade my CPU (OS is windows XP pro), will I need to re-register
> my XP?
>
> Thank you.

No need to re-register the windowsXP but if it prompts for activation
just activate it. Since their is a change in device manager.

--
Deepak

Lil' Dave

Jun 9, 2005, 6:26:52 AM6/9/05
No. You may have to re-activate XP again. If considered minor, it can
happen on-line. If considered major, a phone call may be needed to MS.
This phone number is provided on-screen when needed, automatically.
After removing, and adding hardware to one particular PC many, many times,
the re-activate by phone requirement raised its head. Believe it was when I
disabled an onboard LAN chip, and to allow installation of a firewire card
(irq resource problem, long story), and installed the firewire card. The
phone call lasted ten minutes, the new activation code was provided. No
problem.
If you've never made any hardware changes before, my guess is activation
code change by phone won't be needed.
No one is required to register their copy of XP.

"mljk" <ml...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lil' Dave

Jun 9, 2005, 6:37:24 AM6/9/05
The activation scheme by MS is not meant to stop illegal installations by
"versed" thieves. Its to thwart the casual multi-PC installations by the
common user. In thie case of the OP, if illegal, sounds like the latter.
The former wouldn't be asking in a public forum.

If my perception is incorrect, please feel free to correct.

<health_...@solution4u.com> wrote in message

Shooter

Jun 9, 2005, 10:19:59 AM6/9/05
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 05:37:24 -0500, "Lil' Dave"
<spamyo...@virus.net> wrote:

>The activation scheme by MS is not meant to stop illegal installations by
>"versed" thieves. Its to thwart the casual multi-PC installations by the
>common user.

As covered on another thread Dave, if it is MS's intentions to stop
"casual" multi-PC installations (some of the MVPs tried a similar
corporate provided excuse for a while) then that is also a bust
because it has been determined that all the people trying this have
been downloading any number of the many cracks that enable them to
install and use their copies of XP without being bothered by
Activation or Verification. Again, all you are left with is the
Honest Paying Customers dealing with Activation and Verification while
the pirates and "Casual" multi-PC installers go on their unrestricted
merry way.

More corporate provided excuses some of the MVPs tried were: These
cracks are hard to find so your casual computer user will not know
where and how to find them. That excuse was busted by a simple google
search example a while back. I'm not a "casual" computer user but I
do Pay As I Go so don't use cracks but I was able to find 100's of
sites offering cracks that enable one to apply against their own copy
of XP and keep it from doing the Activation and Verification thing.

Another corporate provided excuse some of the MVPs tried was: All of
these cracks are viruses and/or trojans. This is more of a corporate
provided scare tactic than excuse but just the same, held no water as
far as suggesting that All or Most of these cracks were viruses and/or
trojans. I forget now who started the thread but it was determined
that all of the current crack builds for this purpose tested by the
individual on the thread, none of the ones he downloaded contained
Viruses or Trojans. However, he did admit in the thread that only
cracks were downloaded from known sites in the US and Europe and none
from Asian or eastern sites (whatever that means).

Since the "Casual" multi-PC installers become the same as Pirates and
are no longer considered honest paying customers, all you have left
are the Real Honest Paying Customers having to prove that they didn't
steal the software while the "Casual" multi-PC installers & Pirates
use their cracked copies of the software without bother.

Regards,

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

Jun 9, 2005, 4:13:22 PM6/9/05
"Shooter" <fhasfdjh@AlkjdaF@com> wrote in message

Besides the cracked versions of XP, the pirates use what is referred to as
the "Corporate" version of XP which is really the enterprise licensed
version. It requires no activation.

health_...@solution4u.com

Jun 9, 2005, 5:07:09 PM6/9/05
Yep, I did mean activation. We have all the grandkids this week (for
some reason I was not consulted on) and let me tell you, my little
retirement retreat has been turned up side down and one can not even
think around here right now. I love them all but....

NIK

Hopkins@discussions.microsoft.com Gary Hopkins

Mar 6, 2006, 10:19:26 AM3/6/06
Carey,
I replaced my motherboard and need to re-activate by phone. I get a message
saying that my numbers aren't recognized. What do I need to do?

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 10:26:16 AM3/6/06
Gary Hopkins wrote:
> Carey,
> I replaced my motherboard and need to re-activate by phone. I get a message
> saying that my numbers aren't recognized. What do I need to do?

Reactivate by phone (wait for an operator) and, under no circumstances
let Carey convince you that you have to buy another XP or that changing
your motherboard constitutes a "new computer".

Alias

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 6, 2006, 10:46:34 AM3/6/06
If you replaced your motherboard with a different model,
and also have an OEM version of Windows XP installed,
then that could be the problem. An OEM license is
permanently tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid
if you replace the motherboard with a different model.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 11:00:02 AM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> If you replaced your motherboard with a different model,
> and also have an OEM version of Windows XP installed,
> then that could be the problem. An OEM license is
> permanently tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid
> if you replace the motherboard with a different model.

Only true if it is an OEM that comes from someone like DELL. Not true if
it's a generic OEM as many have said and proved over and over again. I
still think Carey gets a vicarious thrill out of conning people into
buying a retail XP and he should be stripped of his MVP status for this
and other bad advice he continually -- even when corrected -- posts here
as it gives the MVP program a bad name.

Alias

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 6, 2006, 11:09:25 AM3/6/06
Any OEM licensed version of Windows XP is directly
tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid once the
motherboard has been replaced with a different model
upgrade. This has been confirmed with Microsoft and
its OEM licensing department.

Give Microsoft Licensing department a call for a
definitive answer.
1-800-426-9400

Outside the US, the following page has links to local licensing sites
which include local customer service phone number
(http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx)

--

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

"Alias" wrote:

| Absolutely nothing that bears repeating or deserving of further comment.

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 11:30:53 AM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Any OEM licensed version of Windows XP is directly
> tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid once the
> motherboard has been replaced with a different model
> upgrade. This has been confirmed with Microsoft and
> its OEM licensing department.
>
> Give Microsoft Licensing department a call for a
> definitive answer.
> 1-800-426-9400
>
> Outside the US, the following page has links to local licensing sites
> which include local customer service phone number
> (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx)
>

>> Absolutely nothing that bears repeating or deserving of further
>> comment.

System Builder rules, Carey. Those rules don't apply to END USERS that
NEVER agreed to those terms.

Message has been deleted

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 11:39:44 AM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Any OEM licensed version of Windows XP is directly
> tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid once the
> motherboard has been replaced with a different model
> upgrade. This has been confirmed with Microsoft and
> its OEM licensing department.
>
> Give Microsoft Licensing department a call for a
> definitive answer.
> 1-800-426-9400
>
> Outside the US, the following page has links to local licensing sites
> which include local customer service phone number
> (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx)

Like I said, Carey must get some kind of vicarious thrill out of LYING
and telling end users that a system builder's EULA applies to end users
when it doesn't. My end user EULA, in Spanish and English says NOTHING
about a motherboard.

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 11:40:55 AM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Any OEM licensed version of Windows XP is directly
> tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid once the
> motherboard has been replaced with a different model
> upgrade. This has been confirmed with Microsoft and
> its OEM licensing department.
>
> Give Microsoft Licensing department a call for a
> definitive answer.
> 1-800-426-9400
>
> Outside the US, the following page has links to local licensing sites
> which include local customer service phone number
> (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx)

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft's Joke of an MVP

Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

"Alias" did not write:

| Absolutely nothing that bears repeating or deserving of further comment.

Didn't stop you from posting your lies and changing my post, did it?

Gordon

Mar 6, 2006, 11:44:13 AM3/6/06
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:39:44 +0100, Alias wrote:

> Like I said, Carey must get some kind of vicarious thrill out of LYING
> and telling end users that a system builder's EULA applies to end users
> when it doesn't.

But you have to admire his stubbornness and consistency!

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 6, 2006, 11:53:22 AM3/6/06
All purchasers of OEM software are required to comply with the terms
of the System Builder License, including responsibility for providing
all end-user support.
http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx

"Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components
on your customer's computer and the customer may maintain the license
for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the
exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. Unless
upgraded or replaced under warranty, if the motherboard is upgraded,
then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating
system software is required. The original Microsoft OEM operating system
software cannot be transferred to another computer. Please visit https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=552862

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 11:57:18 AM3/6/06
Leythos wrote:
> In article <eWqHYtTQ...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> donte...@anywhereintheknownuniverse.org says...

>> System Builder rules, Carey. Those rules don't apply to END USERS that
>> NEVER agreed to those terms.
>
> You keep saying that, like a Mantra, and it doesn't change the fact that
> OEM versions are sold to systems builders - even if it's jon doe off the
> street, they are still considered an OEM as it's OEM software. If they
> make the decision to purchase OEM they are considered an OEM.

My OEM software comes with an EULA. In that EULA, there is no mention of
a motherboard. I bought three OEM XPs and ALL of them say NOTHING about
a motherboard so you can stop chanting YOUR mantra, Okie dokie?

Gordon

Mar 6, 2006, 12:01:28 PM3/6/06
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:53:22 -0600, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> All purchasers of OEM software are required to comply with the terms
> of the System Builder License, including responsibility for providing
> all end-user support.
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx
>
> "Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components
> on your customer's computer and the customer may maintain the license
> for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the
> exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. Unless
> upgraded or replaced under warranty, if the motherboard is upgraded,
> then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating
> system software is required. The original Microsoft OEM operating system
> software cannot be transferred to another computer. Please visit https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=552862

Carey, HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO BE TOLD TO GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK
HEAD - End users do NOT see OR AGREE TO those Licence terms. they are NOT
in, and neither is there any reference to them in, the EULA.
NO COURT OF LAW IN THE WORLD will uphold a licence the End user has NOT
seen or agreed to.

Which is why MS has NEVER tested this in a court of law because they
know it would NOT be upheld.

Message has been deleted

Gordon

Mar 6, 2006, 12:09:36 PM3/6/06
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:05:55 +0000, Leythos wrote:

> In article <eSXqE8TQ...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...

>> My OEM software comes with an EULA. In that EULA, there is no mention of
>> a motherboard. I bought three OEM XPs and ALL of them say NOTHING about
>> a motherboard so you can stop chanting YOUR mantra, Okie dokie?
>

> Just because the OEM source doesn't fully comply with the MS rules, at
> least the ones I know about, it doesn't absolve you of anything.

If you buy a perfectly legitimate OEM copy of Windows here in the UK then
you do NOT get a copy of the "system builders" licence. So you cannot
"agree" to MS rules if you are not given them, can you?

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 12:11:27 PM3/6/06
Leythos wrote:

> In article <eWqHYtTQ...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
> donte...@anywhereintheknownuniverse.org says...

>> System Builder rules, Carey. Those rules don't apply to END USERS
>> that NEVER agreed to those terms.
>

> You keep saying that, like a Mantra, and it doesn't change the fact
> that OEM versions are sold to systems builders - even if it's jon doe
> off the street, they are still considered an OEM as it's OEM
> software. If they make the decision to purchase OEM they are
> considered an OEM.

LOL! Just because MS wants to call a pig something else, doesn't mean
that you can't make bacon out of it.

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 12:11:20 PM3/6/06
Leythos wrote:
> In article <eSXqE8TQ...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>> My OEM software comes with an EULA. In that EULA, there is no mention of
>> a motherboard. I bought three OEM XPs and ALL of them say NOTHING about
>> a motherboard so you can stop chanting YOUR mantra, Okie dokie?
>
> Just because the OEM source doesn't fully comply with the MS rules, at
> least the ones I know about, it doesn't absolve you of anything.

Retail versions are not available in Spain, where I live. ONLY OEM
versions are available at ALL sources. And, even if I lived in the USA,
the ONLY EULA that would apply to me would be the one I agreed to, not
the one you would like me to agree to or indirectly agree to or whatever
"logic" you can come up with in a lame effort to show your attachment to
one upmanship.

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 12:12:25 PM3/6/06

Right on!

Message has been deleted

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 12:19:16 PM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> All purchasers of OEM software are required to comply with the terms
> of the System Builder License, including responsibility for providing
> all end-user support.
> http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/default.mspx
>
> "Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components
> on your customer's computer and the customer may maintain the license
> for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the
> exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. Unless
> upgraded or replaced under warranty, if the motherboard is upgraded,
> then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating
> system software is required. The original Microsoft OEM operating
> system
> software cannot be transferred to another computer. Please visit
> https://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=552862
>

>> System Builder rules, Carey. Those rules don't apply to END USERS
>> that NEVER agreed to those terms.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt

The words you quote are hidden behind password-protection.

See those words don't apply to me, since I can't even see them, in
context, to be able to agree or disagree with them. I'm not a Microsoft
Certified System Builder, and I never plan to be one, so a site that
outlines rules for MS Certified System builders is totally irrelevent to
me, and every other End User.

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 12:19:24 PM3/6/06
Leythos wrote:
> In article <pan.2006.03.06....@localhost.localdomain>,
> gor...@localhost.localdomain says...

>> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:05:55 +0000, Leythos wrote:
>>
>>> In article <eSXqE8TQ...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
>>> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>>> Just because the OEM source doesn't fully comply with the MS rules, at
>>> least the ones I know about, it doesn't absolve you of anything.
>> If you buy a perfectly legitimate OEM copy of Windows here in the UK then
>> you do NOT get a copy of the "system builders" licence. So you cannot
>> "agree" to MS rules if you are not given them, can you?
>
> Just because the "Supplier" doesn't comply with the rules, it doesn't
> mean that you are free from the rules/restrictions.

Yes it does and, in Spain, Microsoft has a few offices. They sell the
OEMs to the suppliers and you're saying they don't know they are selling
them to retail stores? Puhlease!

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 12:23:36 PM3/6/06

I think that Carey and Leythos are just jealous because they stupidly
bought retail versions.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 6, 2006, 12:25:20 PM3/6/06
Resellers of Microsoft OEM operating systems must inform
the purchaser that the use of OEM software is governed by
the Microsoft OEM System Builders rules and licensing
agreement. If the seller should fail to mention this, then the
seller has done you a disservice. However, it does not absolve
you of the System Builders rules and licensing agreement
pertaining to the use of OEM software.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 12:25:29 PM3/6/06
Leythos wrote:

> In article <pan.2006.03.06....@localhost.localdomain>,
> gor...@localhost.localdomain says...

>> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 17:05:55 +0000, Leythos wrote:
>>
>>> In article <eSXqE8TQ...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>, aka@[notme]
>>> maskedandanonymous.org says...
>>>
>>> Just because the OEM source doesn't fully comply with the MS rules,
>>> at least the ones I know about, it doesn't absolve you of anything.
>>
>> If you buy a perfectly legitimate OEM copy of Windows here in the UK
>> then you do NOT get a copy of the "system builders" licence. So you
>> cannot "agree" to MS rules if you are not given them, can you?
>

> Just because the "Supplier" doesn't comply with the rules, it doesn't
> mean that you are free from the rules/restrictions.

LOL! And who is spewing their mantra now?

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 12:29:54 PM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Resellers of Microsoft OEM operating systems must inform
> the purchaser that the use of OEM software is governed by
> the Microsoft OEM System Builders rules and licensing
> agreement. If the seller should fail to mention this, then the
> seller has done you a disservice. However, it does not absolve
> you of the System Builders rules and licensing agreement
> pertaining to the use of OEM software.

Yes it does. An end user agrees to an End User Licence Agreement, not a
System Builder's licence agreement. Too logical for ya, Carey? That
said, MS allows RETAIL stores to sell generic OEM XPs in Spain. Are you
saying that MS doesn't know what they're doing?

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 12:33:22 PM3/6/06
Alias wrote:

Carey is stupid enough to buy retail, as he needs those 2 support calls
that the extra $200 dollars buy!

LameGirl sells MS Licenses to customers, so the more he can bend MS's BS
rules to his advantage, the more money in his pocket.

Carey is just a fool, but LameGirl is a con-artist.

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2006, 12:40:55 PM3/6/06

The system builder is bound by their agreement with Microsoft. The system
builder has to support the OEM version of Windows. Microsoft is entirely
within their rights to refuse activation for any reason and refer you back
to the system builder to sort things out. I don't like it. I don't agree
with it but this is my interpetation as a system builder after talking to
several different MS reps over the last year. Microsoft doesn't have to take
anyone to court. If they deny you activation and you feel you are wronged
the onus is on you to take them to court. Who do you think has more money to
pay the lawyers? I tend to agree with you that eventually a court would not
uphold the EULA but at what price and how many years of litigation? Right or
wrong activation is something you have to deal with when using Windows and
Microsoft controls it.

Kerry

Gordon

Mar 6, 2006, 12:49:29 PM3/6/06
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:25:20 -0600, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Resellers of Microsoft OEM operating systems must inform
> the purchaser that the use of OEM software is governed by
> the Microsoft OEM System Builders rules and licensing
> agreement. If the seller should fail to mention this, then the
> seller has done you a disservice.

No OEM vendor refers to the System Builder's licence in the EULA, which is
what the End User agrees to.

> However, it does not absolve
> you of the System Builders rules and licensing agreement
> pertaining to the use of OEM software.

Oh yes it does. Ever heard of Unfair Contract terms? That applies to a
contract that I CANNOT and NEVER do see. No-one can EVER be bound by
a Licence agreement they DO NOT SEE AND READ.

I suggest you bone up on law of contract before you carry on making a
complete idiot of yourself. As I said, NO COURT IN THE WORLD would enforce
terms of a licence that the alleged licencee HAS NOT SEEN OR READ OR
AGREED TO. Which is why MS HAS never and WILL never take this to court.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker

www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Mar 6, 2006, 12:58:54 PM3/6/06

That's not the point - Carey keeps saying that the End user is bound by
the System Builder's Licence - my point is that the End User never sees
the licence or any reference to it, and does not agree to it, therefore
the End User is NOT bound by the System Builder's licence. the System
Builder may be bound by it, but that's not what is at issue here.

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2006, 1:17:47 PM3/6/06

Yes it is. With OEM software the system builder has to provide support. If
there is an activation issue it is up to the system builder to resolve it.
All the EULA says about activation is that you must activate within 30 days
and if the license is deemed invalid it won't be activated. If the license
is invalid your only recourse is to go to the OEM manufacturer or the
retailer for support. If you have changed the computer in any way the OEM
can then say you've invalidated the warranty and don't have any support.
It's a catch-22 and the end user loses. I certainly don't agree with it and
I don't treat my customers like this. Personally I have upgraded
motherboards for customers. As long as they buy them from me and either I or
someone I trust to do the job right installs them I will support them. I
have had to phone for activation when doing this and have always been
completely honest on the phone and have never been refused activation. If
the OEM supports it Microsoft will activate it is my understanding.

Kerry

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Mar 6, 2006, 1:18:03 PM3/6/06
"The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single
integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER"

"Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components
on your customer's computer and the customer may maintain the license
for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the
exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard."

Therefore, if an end user replaces a non-defective motherboard with
a different model, the OEM license is no longer valid since a new
computer has been created as a result of replacing the motherboard.

Microsoft is under no obligation to allow activation of an OEM
version of Windows if the end user changes the motherboard since
the change invalidates the claim that the same computer is in use.
That is specifically why a user should consider using a "Retail Version"
of Windows rather than a one-time OEM Windows license if
motherboard upgrades are anticipated.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows - Shell/User
Microsoft Community Newsgroups

---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 1:34:12 PM3/6/06
Kerry Brown wrote:

LOL! Have you ever called up an OEM and had them place the blame on MS?

I have.

> If there is an activation issue it is up to the system
> builder to resolve it.

Only if it has to do with Bios-locking. If a small OEM puts on a
generic OEM copy of XP on a computer he sells, the End User doesn't call
the small OEM up for activation, the End User calls MS in India or
Pakistan, or some country where they don't speak them same brand of
English!

> All the EULA says about activation is that you
> must activate within 30 days and if the license is deemed invalid it
> won't be activated. If the license is invalid your only recourse is
> to go to the OEM manufacturer or the retailer for support.

Why? The OEM didn't deny the activation! MS should be sued!

> If you
> have changed the computer in any way the OEM can then say you've
> invalidated the warranty and don't have any support. It's a catch-22
> and the end user loses. I certainly don't agree with it and I don't
> treat my customers like this. Personally I have upgraded motherboards
> for customers. As long as they buy them from me and either I or
> someone I trust to do the job right installs them I will support
> them. I have had to phone for activation when doing this and have
> always been completely honest on the phone and have never been
> refused activation. If the OEM supports it Microsoft will activate it
> is my understanding.

Nope. When that happens, MS has converted another person away from
buying legit software.

Who loses? Not MS. The big losers are those in the business of selling
legit software, like retailers and your local computer store.

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 1:36:51 PM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> "The SOFTWARE is licensed with the COMPUTER as a single
> integrated product and may only be used with the COMPUTER"
>
> "Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components
> on your customer's computer and the customer may maintain the license
> for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the
> exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard."
>
> Therefore, if an end user replaces a non-defective motherboard with
> a different model, the OEM license is no longer valid since a new
> computer has been created as a result of replacing the motherboard.
>
> Microsoft is under no obligation to allow activation of an OEM
> version of Windows if the end user changes the motherboard since
> the change invalidates the claim that the same computer is in use.
> That is specifically why a user should consider using a "Retail
> Version" of Windows rather than a one-time OEM Windows license if
> motherboard upgrades are anticipated.

Unattributed quotes from multiple sources, all from the very biased
mouth of MS, whose word isn't worth a pile of sh*t. See Carey, you are
worth more than MS's word! ;-)

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2006, 2:11:33 PM3/6/06

That doesn't mean they are right. They are merely passing the buck hoping
you will go away.

>> If there is an activation issue it is up to the system
>> builder to resolve it.
>
> Only if it has to do with Bios-locking. If a small OEM puts on a
> generic OEM copy of XP on a computer he sells, the End User doesn't
> call the small OEM up for activation, the End User calls MS in India
> or Pakistan, or some country where they don't speak them same brand of
> English!

Microsoft looks after validating a properly licensed XP. The OEM supports
the OEM version of XP. In a properly installed OEM version of XP who's phone
number is in the documentation and on the System properties General tab? It
isn't Microsoft. If the license isn't valid your only recourse is to
complain to the OEM.

>> All the EULA says about activation is that you
>> must activate within 30 days and if the license is deemed invalid it
>> won't be activated. If the license is invalid your only recourse is
>> to go to the OEM manufacturer or the retailer for support.
>
> Why? The OEM didn't deny the activation! MS should be sued!

I somewhat agree with with you here. I don't believe all this crap would
stand up in court. Who has the money to sue Microsoft?

>> If you
>> have changed the computer in any way the OEM can then say you've
>> invalidated the warranty and don't have any support. It's a catch-22
>> and the end user loses. I certainly don't agree with it and I don't
>> treat my customers like this. Personally I have upgraded motherboards
>> for customers. As long as they buy them from me and either I or
>> someone I trust to do the job right installs them I will support
>> them. I have had to phone for activation when doing this and have
>> always been completely honest on the phone and have never been
>> refused activation. If the OEM supports it Microsoft will activate it
>> is my understanding.
>
> Nope. When that happens, MS has converted another person away from
> buying legit software.
>
> Who loses? Not MS. The big losers are those in the business of
> selling legit software, like retailers and your local computer store.

I agree with you here as well except I think the end users are the biggest
loser. In the end you get what you pay for. With OEM software you are
relying on the OEM. With retail software you are relying on Microsoft and
can transfer it to a new computer at will. There is a reason for the price
difference. Microsoft didn't bother to enforce their rules much in the past.
With activations they have a tool and they are using it. Unfortunately the
end user is often the one who suffers. It would certainly be better if the
sale of a computer with OEM software included a better agreement explaining
the rules.

Kerry

Alias

Mar 6, 2006, 2:19:13 PM3/6/06
kurttrail wrote:

> Carey is just a fool, but LameGirl is a con-artist.

I stand corrected. :)

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 2:50:21 PM3/6/06
Kerry Brown wrote:

Sure it is. The OEM didn't write the code for Windows, MS did.

>>> If there is an activation issue it is up to the system
>>> builder to resolve it.
>>
>> Only if it has to do with Bios-locking. If a small OEM puts on a
>> generic OEM copy of XP on a computer he sells, the End User doesn't
>> call the small OEM up for activation, the End User calls MS in India
>> or Pakistan, or some country where they don't speak them same brand
>> of English!
>
> Microsoft looks after validating a properly licensed XP. The OEM
> supports the OEM version of XP. In a properly installed OEM version
> of XP who's phone number is in the documentation and on the System
> properties General tab? It isn't Microsoft. If the license isn't
> valid your only recourse is to complain to the OEM.

Whose phone number shows up on the activation screen? MS's. MS is
responsible for Activation, not the OEM.

>>> All the EULA says about activation is that you
>>> must activate within 30 days and if the license is deemed invalid it
>>> won't be activated. If the license is invalid your only recourse is
>>> to go to the OEM manufacturer or the retailer for support.
>>
>> Why? The OEM didn't deny the activation! MS should be sued!
>
> I somewhat agree with with you here. I don't believe all this crap
> would stand up in court. Who has the money to sue Microsoft?

Yep. And MS avoids a class action suit by denying very few activations,
especially since MS moved their PA call center to India.

>>> If you
>>> have changed the computer in any way the OEM can then say you've
>>> invalidated the warranty and don't have any support. It's a catch-22
>>> and the end user loses. I certainly don't agree with it and I don't
>>> treat my customers like this. Personally I have upgraded
>>> motherboards for customers. As long as they buy them from me and
>>> either I or someone I trust to do the job right installs them I
>>> will support them. I have had to phone for activation when doing
>>> this and have always been completely honest on the phone and have
>>> never been refused activation. If the OEM supports it Microsoft
>>> will activate it is my understanding.
>>
>> Nope. When that happens, MS has converted another person away from
>> buying legit software.
>>
>> Who loses? Not MS. The big losers are those in the business of
>> selling legit software, like retailers and your local computer store.
>
> I agree with you here as well except I think the end users are the
> biggest loser. In the end you get what you pay for. With OEM software
> you are relying on the OEM. With retail software you are relying on
> Microsoft and can transfer it to a new computer at will. There is a
> reason for the price difference. Microsoft didn't bother to enforce
> their rules much in the past. With activations they have a tool and
> they are using it. Unfortunately the end user is often the one who
> suffers. It would certainly be better if the sale of a computer with
> OEM software included a better agreement explaining the rules.

Naw, the End User just loses one copy of Windows, where local small
businesses and retail chains end up losing a legit customer for life,
once they have been converted by MS's silly copy-protection games.

What's a few hundred dollars compared to the thousands of dollars spent
throughout a lifetime?

The piracy rate for software was at its zenith in 1994, BEFORE most
people had PCs in their homes, and long before Napster, and the
file-sharing app boom. The piracy rate was at its lowest point in 2000,
before MS brought copy-protection to the masses. Since then, the piracy
rate stopped its steady decline.

Copy-protection may sound like a good idea to those concerned about
piracy, but in practice, all it does is devalue what it is supposed to
be protecting.

paul

Mar 6, 2006, 4:42:07 PM3/6/06

My friend recently upgraded his mobo and hardware. He asked here how to go
about doing it.
He was told to do a repair install.
It worked fine. He did have to call MS to get the activation, but the system
works 100%.
So why all the arguing over this isssue.
If you do a repair install and it works...problem solved. Right?
All that matters to my friend is that his machine works.
I would think this is all that would matter to anyone.

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> Any OEM licensed version of Windows XP is directly
>> tied to the motherboard and becomes invalid once the
>> motherboard has been replaced with a different model
>> upgrade. This has been confirmed with Microsoft and
>> its OEM licensing department.
>>
>> Give Microsoft Licensing department a call for a
>> definitive answer.
>> 1-800-426-9400
>>
>> Outside the US, the following page has links to local licensing sites
>> which include local customer service phone number
>> (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx)
>>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft's Joke of an MVP

> Windows - Shell/User
> Microsoft Community Newsgroups
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­----------------
>

> "Alias" did not write:
>
> | Absolutely nothing that bears repeating or deserving of further comment.
>
> Didn't stop you from posting your lies and changing my post, did it?

kurttrail

Mar 6, 2006, 4:44:51 PM3/6/06
paul wrote:

Most people that value their rights don't like having to prove that they
aren't a thief at the whim of a known IP thief.

PopS

Mar 6, 2006, 9:41:52 PM3/6/06
Spoken like the true idiot you are, kurtsy!

"kurttrail" <donte...@anywhereintheknownuniverse.org> wrote in
message news:OmnaSQUQ...@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

Didn't see this? Look again!

Jim Hill

Mar 6, 2006, 9:31:14 PM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Resellers of Microsoft OEM operating systems must inform
> the purchaser that the use of OEM software is governed by
> the Microsoft OEM System Builders rules and licensing
> agreement. If the seller should fail to mention this, then the
> seller has done you a disservice.

I can certainly see MS's point of view here: they have a legally
enforceable agreement with the OEM; if the OEMs are really not informing
their customers of the license terms, MS have every right to throw legal
hissy fits.

> However, it does not absolve
> you of the System Builders rules and licensing agreement
> pertaining to the use of OEM software.

but (IANAL) (physical, existential and divine laws excepted) *NOBODY*
can be bound to terms they never even saw. MS can bitch and moan and
wail and holler and stonewall and fudge and kick and scream and dig in
their heels and obfusticate and yell icanthearyouicanthearyou and say
"is NOT" all they want. Won't change a thing: their recourse is only
against the OEM.

I'd think they can go after the OEM for full retail on every activation
the OEM gave away like this.

And, Carey? You REALLY disagree?

You should check the license terms on my copyright for this post. They
specifically mention you. Too late, bud. You've already exercised your
rights under the license. Pay me.

Jim

Jim Hill

Mar 6, 2006, 11:09:58 PM3/6/06
Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Resellers of Microsoft OEM operating systems must inform
> the purchaser that the use of OEM software is governed by
> the Microsoft OEM System Builders rules and licensing
> agreement. If the seller should fail to mention this, then the
> seller has done you a disservice.

If the OEMs are really not informing their customers of the license
terms, MS have every right to throw a hissy fit, because customers are
going to blame the poor company that gets to *tell* them they're left
holding the bag. I really do feel for Microsoft here.

But the customers' beef is with their OEM, not Microsoft. The OEMs are
obligated to honor the terms of the deals they struck, and if they
didn't tell their customers there were restrictions on the OS license,
beyond the universally understood one-available-system rule, then they
sold licenses with no such restrictions, and are obligated to supply
them -- just exactly the way CD publishers are obligated to either tag
their CDs with visible warnings that they might not play on their
customers' audio equipment or replace malfunctioning copy-protected CDs
with real ones. Unannounced restrictions equal damaged goods.

> However, it does not absolve
> you of the System Builders rules and licensing agreement
> pertaining to the use of OEM software.

But the flaws in *this* reasoning are so deep and so glaring it's
difficult to object coherently. It's outrageous. You knew Microsoft
aren't obligated and couldn't be bothered to examine any argument that
reached that conclusion. Right?

Jim

kurttrail

Mar 7, 2006, 2:01:43 AM3/7/06
PopS wrote:

> Spoken like the true idiot you are, kurtsy!

ROFL! Like your opinion about me matters? Please. I've scraped off
dead skin off the bottom of my foot that had more brains than you.

Wabbit season!

kurttrail

Mar 7, 2006, 9:39:00 AM3/7/06

http://censored.microscum.com/200603061644/

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea

http://microscum.com/mscommunity/index.php?showtopic=3

ahoy mate!

Mar 7, 2006, 12:37:20 PM3/7/06
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 11:25:20 -0600, Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Resellers of Microsoft OEM operating systems must inform
> the purchaser that the use of OEM software is governed by
> the Microsoft OEM System Builders rules and licensing
> agreement. If the seller should fail to mention this, then the
> seller has done you a disservice.

> However, it does not absolve
> you of the System Builders rules and licensing agreement
> pertaining to the use of OEM software.

Let me guess Carey, you print this agreement out and shrink wrap it into
every single OEM copy of XP you sell with a computer, right?!?

ahoy mate!

Mar 7, 2006, 12:41:56 PM3/7/06
kurttrail wrote:
> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

<snipped license drivel>

> Unattributed quotes from multiple sources, all from the very biased
> mouth of MS, whose word isn't worth a pile of sh*t. See Carey, you are
> worth more than MS's word! ;-)

But not by much.