Re: Does Microsoft supply registry cleaner?

1 view

Pegasus (MVP)

Feb 20, 2006, 8:23:53 PM2/20/06

"jcusiter" <jcus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:08608E92-66A5-4EC6...@microsoft.com...
> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that
will
> be able to boost PC performance?

It is a myth that registry cleaners boost performance.
They don't but some will cripple your machine. If your
machine is sluggish, run msconfig.msc, click the startup
tab and untick the non-essential programs. Note that
firewalls and virus scanners are a big burden on PCs.
Select one that has a light footprint!

S.Sengupta

Feb 20, 2006, 9:04:36 PM2/20/06
You will still get a RegClean utility in many third party websites but
it is no longer supported and has been removed from all Microsoft
download sites.
Instead of using registry cleaner rather keep your system protected from
viruses and other malwares with specific softwares.That will keep your
registry healthy.

regards,
S.Sengupta[MS-MVP]

Alan

Feb 20, 2006, 10:27:05 PM2/20/06

"jcusiter" <jcus...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that
> will
> be able to boost PC performance?

Cleaning a registry may help start up times, if it is really bad, but is
unlikely to have any great long term effect. What exactly are you attempting
to do? If it is boost performance consider (depending on your setup) a
faster processor, more memory, more disk space.

Peter Foldes

Feb 20, 2006, 11:24:09 PM2/20/06
"Cleaning a registry may help start up times"

That is not true. It does nothing whatsoever to speed up boot or performance. And as Pegasus stated in this thread and the way I look at it "you are playing Russian Roulette " by using a Reg Cleaner

--
Peter

NoStop

Feb 21, 2006, 1:31:28 AM2/21/06
On Monday 20 February 2006 05:15 pm, jcusiter had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that
> will be able to boost PC performance?

No but if you go here you'll be able to find something that would certainly
BOOST your PC performance ...

http://distrowatch.com/

--
Windows is to operating systems like Dick Cheney is to hunters...
Dangerous to be anywhere close to.

Alan

Feb 21, 2006, 4:45:12 AM2/21/06
It has helped. This machine was upgraded from Win95, 98SE, and a registry
cleanup improved the boot time by over 5 minutes. It is such a long time
that the difference is not a mistake. You are incorrect.

"Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Peter Foldes

Feb 21, 2006, 7:02:52 AM2/21/06
I stand by what I said in my post

--
Peter

Alias

Feb 21, 2006, 7:50:26 AM2/21/06
Peter Foldes wrote:
> I stand by what I said in my post

That doesn't make what you said any less false.

Alias

RJK

Feb 21, 2006, 7:58:46 AM2/21/06
One uses a variety of tools and techniques to tidy up the registry, now and
again. It's suprising how much junk accumulates in there - mostly left
behind by application un-installs that are almost always woefully
inadequate.

One of my favourites is Norton Windoctor. Useful only so long as you don't
let it charge ahead and do what it wants to do. The only sensible way to
use this registry "cleaner" is to manually inspect and confirm EVERYTHING it
proposes to do. i.e. never let it make automatic sweeping changes to your
registry.

...the other "hitch" there, is that you have to download Norton removal
tools to get rid of the mess that Norton leaves behind, and then some more
manual cleaning up after that !!

regards, Richard

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Alias

Feb 21, 2006, 8:02:57 AM2/21/06
jcusiter wrote:
> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that will
> be able to boost PC performance?

No. You can use CCleaner from ccleaner.com (free). It's the "issues"
button. Be sure and back up anything you remove.

I also use SystemSuite (not free), available from www.v-com.com. It also
has a registry defrag.

The people who tell you not to use these tools are familiar enough with
the registry to edit it themselves and take a cavalier attitude towards
those who can't. Ignore them, even if they have MVP next to their nick.

Alias

Feb 21, 2006, 8:23:09 AM2/21/06
RJK wrote:

The only sensible way to
> use this registry "cleaner" is to manually inspect and confirm EVERYTHING it
> proposes to do. i.e. never let it make automatic sweeping changes to your
> registry.

Agreed. That's why I like SystemSuite that conveniently lists their
results in a color-coded scheme of Green for OK to delete, Yellow,
probably OK and Red, BE CAREFUL. The only time I have had to delete any
red ones was after I uninstalled something and then I looked for entries
from that program. I uninstalled Norton on a machine and, lawdy, lawdy,
there were Green, Yellow and Red results in abundance.

Mike Williams

Feb 21, 2006, 8:28:06 AM2/21/06
to iama...@gmail.com
Alias wrote:
> jcusiter wrote:
>> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that
>> will be able to boost PC performance?
>
> No. You can use CCleaner from ccleaner.com (free). It's the "issues"
> button. Be sure and back up anything you remove.
>
> I also use SystemSuite (not free), available from www.v-com.com. It also
> has a registry defrag.
>
> The people who tell you not to use these tools are familiar enough with
> the registry to edit it themselves and take a cavalier attitude towards
> those who can't. Ignore them, even if they have MVP next to their nick.

I think that would be "conservative" rather than "cavalier", given the
course of action advised.

Alias

Feb 21, 2006, 8:36:28 AM2/21/06

I was referring to their attitude towards people who don't know how to
edit the registry using regedit.

Alan

Feb 21, 2006, 2:52:06 PM2/21/06
And you are wrong, but I applaud your stance.

"Peter Foldes" <ok...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Plato

Feb 21, 2006, 5:10:05 PM2/21/06
=?Utf-8?B?amN1c2l0ZXI=?= wrote:

> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that will
> be able to boost PC performance?

Not that I know of. One can, of course, use a third party registty
cleaner.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

RJK

Feb 21, 2006, 6:18:11 PM2/21/06
How can you applaud a "wrong" stance ? :-)

I'm often wrong but, I never take a stance, ....or was that a fib <blush>

regards, Richard

"Alan" <al...@hidden.email> wrote in message

Jörg Klemenz

Feb 21, 2006, 7:24:04 PM2/21/06
* Alan schrieb:

> This machine was upgraded from Win95, 98SE, and a registry cleanup
> improved the boot time by over 5 minutes.

"Registry cleaners" are snake oil. Just do the basic math: If the
average registry key is 100 bytes long, how many you have to delete to
save one megabyte?

2^20/100 = 10485

The typical "registry cleaner" removes only a few hundred entries.

Also "improved the boot time by over 5 minutes" is a ridiculous claim.
My mothers ancient Pentium-2 333 boots in about a minute.

--
"Jeder schließt von sich auf andere
und vergisst, dass es

RJK

Feb 21, 2006, 7:29:16 PM2/21/06
I can boot up in less than a minute, ...as long as I use my cd-r that
emulates a floppy drive and loads DOS :-)

regards, Richard

"Jörg Klemenz" <jk...@usenet.arcornews.de> wrote in message

Jared Foster

Feb 21, 2006, 9:28:40 PM2/21/06
Yeah...my PII 400 boots XP under a minute easily, and five minutes is an
extremely long boot time...guessing more problems than a cluttered registry.

--
JaReD

Bruce Chambers

Feb 23, 2006, 10:41:39 AM2/23/06
jcusiter wrote:
> Does Microsoft come or supply through download a registry cleaner that will
> be able to boost PC performance?

No, for the very simple reason that there is no such thing. And,
anyway, why would you even think you need to clean your registry?

What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry "cleaner?" If
you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far
better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific
key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun
when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of
one or two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire
consequences of allowing an automated product to make multiple changes
simultaneously.

The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
of the inexperienced user.

Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
use of an automated registry "cleaner," particularly by an untrained,
inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
or stability.

The only thing needed to safely maintain your registry is knowledge
and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
experience to safely configure and use any automated registry "cleaner,"
no matter how safe they claim to be.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

Uncle John

Feb 25, 2006, 9:54:40 AM2/25/06
Well Microsoft did once - Regclean. While cleaning the registry for the sake
of it is absurd it may need repairing and there are a few good third party
tools for this.
Bruce's polemic is like saying you do not need to back up because you have
got System Restore enabled!
--
Uncle John

"Bruce Chambers" <bcha...@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

jjkbo...@yahoo.com

Mar 9, 2006, 7:46:32 AM3/9/06
If you have .NET assemblies that need to be registered for COM interop,
then you end up with problems when you delete those DLLs and replace
with older versions. I can explain the reasons in terms of
assembly/COM versioning if you wish, but trust me its boring.

Admitedly the average user won't delete DLLs in this way, but as a
developer I need to do this frequently as I switch between versions
often, and the registry needs to be cleaned.

At the moment I can unregister the assembly and that usually works, but
if you delete the assembly before unregistering then you end up with
entries that can't be easily removed. And for what I'm working on at
the moment, I'm talking thousands of entries, and the all need to be
removed if I revert to an earlier version of the assembly.

Boz

nastech

Apr 28, 2006, 4:21:02 PM4/28/06
Hi, if still there, reviewing posting, and was curious which brand of
registry cleaner is your registry suite: see mulitple choices on a web
search. thanks.

nastech

Apr 28, 2006, 5:13:02 PM4/28/06
oiy, hot topic? good to have other opinions, don't have to condemn them.
"point-of-reference" as seen described, is always a good thing.

anyways, am not, but will claim to be somewhat novice, (all right, peck some
area's) from observation of issue from
Virus-Keyloggers-Adware-Malware-Bloatware-Greyware-Spyware-Browser Hijackers
& oh yeah: otherwise thieves, embedding, I believe that is what AV/AS scans
are doing to registries, cleaning them. If-Then acceptable? If a Registry
is like a set of commands to operating your computer (like autoexec / config)
then yes cleaning registry, and well re-installing from scratch? is
required,,,... Then, if you disagree, are you the one sicking that stuff on
us? ;)

NoStop

Apr 29, 2006, 11:21:42 AM4/29/06
On Friday 28 April 2006 02:13 pm, nastech had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> oiy, hot topic? good to have other opinions, don't have to condemn them.

> "point-of-reference" as seen described, is always a good thing.
>
> anyways, am not, but will claim to be somewhat novice, (all right, peck
> some
> area's) from observation of issue from
> Virus-Keyloggers-Adware-Malware-Bloatware-Greyware-Spyware-Browser
> Hijackers
> & oh yeah: otherwise thieves, embedding, I believe that is what AV/AS
> scans
> are doing to registries, cleaning them. If-Then acceptable? If a
> Registry is like a set of commands to operating your computer (like
> autoexec / config)
> then yes cleaning registry, and well re-installing from scratch? is
> required,,,... Then, if you disagree, are you the one sicking that stuff
> on
> us? ;)

What language do you speak?

--
When Microsoft stops treating its customers as thieves, I might consider
running Windoze again. Of course, I wouldn't allow it to access the

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php

Scot6501

Feb 2, 2007, 6:42:00 PM2/2/07
Pete,

I suppose you do not change the oil in your vehicle or the air filter in
your home's mechanical system?

Scot6501

Rock

Feb 2, 2007, 7:17:55 PM2/2/07
"Scot6501" <Scot...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Pete,
>
> I suppose you do not change the oil in your vehicle or the air filter in
> your home's mechanical system?

>>"Peter Foldes" wrote:

>> That is not true. It does nothing whatsoever to speed up boot or
>> performance.
>> And as Pegasus stated in this thread and the way I look at it "you are
>> playing
>> Russian Roulette" by using a Reg Cleaner

That's not a good analogy because the old needs to be changed for regular
maintenance, but the registry doesn't need that.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Bruce Chambers

Feb 2, 2007, 8:57:00 PM2/2/07
Scot6501 wrote:
> Pete,
>
> I suppose you do not change the oil in your vehicle or the air filter in
> your home's mechanical system?
>
> Scot6501

Sure, but what does that have to do with the completely different
subject of registry "cleaners?" Anyone who thinks they're analogous is
delusional, and anyone who says so is flat-out lying.

--

Bruce Chambers

Rock

Feb 2, 2007, 9:08:27 PM2/2/07
"Rock" <ro...@nospam.net> wrote

> "Scot6501" <Scot...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> Pete,
>>
>> I suppose you do not change the oil in your vehicle or the air filter in
>> your home's mechanical system?
>
>>>"Peter Foldes" wrote:
>>>
>>> That is not true. It does nothing whatsoever to speed up boot or
>>> performance.
>>> And as Pegasus stated in this thread and the way I look at it "you are
>>> playing
>>> Russian Roulette" by using a Reg Cleaner
>

> That's not a good analogy because the old needs to be changed for regular
> maintenance, but the registry doesn't need that.

Jeez, that should be "oil" not "old". Spell check doesn't correct brain
fade.

caver1

Feb 3, 2007, 9:50:36 AM2/3/07

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Scot6501 wrote:
>> Pete,
>>
>> I suppose you do not change the oil in your vehicle or the air filter
>> in your home's mechanical system?
>>
>> Scot6501
>>

> Sure, but what does that have to do with the completely different
> subject of registry "cleaners?" Anyone who thinks they're analogous is
> delusional, and anyone who says so is flat-out lying.

I change the bytes in my computer on a regular basis.