on line backup?

Todd

May 29, 2012, 3:55:38 PM5/29/12
Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

glee

May 29, 2012, 4:45:06 PM5/29/12
"Todd" <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

I don't use an online backup, but I know a number of people who are
happy with Carbonite.
http://www.carbonite.com/

--
Glen Ventura
MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009

Good Guy

May 29, 2012, 8:34:20 PM5/29/12

Skydrive is highly recommended by Microsoft and you might be lucky to
get free 25GB disk space for your backups.

FREE UPGRADE:
1. Log into Hotmail using browser
2. Click on SkyDrive (along the top),
3. Find the link for "Claim your free 25 GB",
4. Click on button titled "Free Upgrade".

Good luck.

Todd wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

--
Good Guy
Website: http://mytaxsite.co.uk
Website: http://html-css.co.uk
Forums: http://mytaxsite.boardhost.com
Email: http://mytaxsite.co.uk/contact-us

Paul in Houston TX

May 29, 2012, 9:07:01 PM5/29/12
Todd wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

Dropbox is free for the first 4 gb.

glee

May 29, 2012, 9:36:21 PM5/29/12
"Good Guy" <hello...@example.com> wrote in message

> Skydrive is highly recommended by Microsoft and you might be lucky to
> get free 25GB disk space for your backups.
>
> FREE UPGRADE:
> 1. Log into Hotmail using browser
> 2. Click on SkyDrive (along the top),
> 3. Find the link for "Claim your free 25 GB",
> 4. Click on button titled "Free Upgrade".
>
> Good luck.

In order to get the extra free 25GB storage, you have to have had a
Windows Live account, (Live, Hotmail) from before April 22, 2012.

Neither SkyDrive nor Dropbox are online backup apps, they are cloud
file-sharing services... although they might suit the original poster,
depending on what his actual needs are.

VanguardLH

May 29, 2012, 11:04:15 PM5/29/12
That would be 2.25GB (2GB initial, another 250MB by taking their tour),
not 4GB. See:

https://www.dropbox.com/pricing

To get 4GB means you added another 2GB by volunteering to be act as
their *SPAM AFFLIATE* by suckering more users (500MB quota increase per
referral, 16GB total bonus space) to their service. If you spam their
service and sucker up to 32 "friends" to their service, you can add
another 16GB to your account for 18.25GB total.

Tell Your Friends (i.e., spam for them to earn a quota commission)
https://www.dropbox.com/help/15

Dropbox doesn't have an anti-spamming policy since it obviously would
conflict with their promotion to garner volunteer spamming affiliates.
You cannot use their service to spam (for them or your stuff) but they
don't have a policy against spamming their service.

My friends don't spam me. Spamming this service isn't offering it to
friends! It's stinging pigeons. I use Dropbox. I don't nuisance my
friends trying to up my Dropbox quota.

VanguardLH

May 29, 2012, 11:11:10 PM5/29/12
Todd wrote:

> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

How big are your backup files?
How fast is your upload speed?
How long are you willing to wait for you backup file to upload?

For example, if you have a partition whose consumption results in a 50GB
backup file, it'll take 57 hours, or more, to upload it with 2 Mbps
upload speed (assuming no node in the route is throttled for bandwidth
load and there are no interruptions and reductions in network bandwidth
due to busy traffic from other use of the same route as yours). If you
have broadband Internet access, you'll probably find the site won't
accept bytes as fast as you could push them.

(50GB x 8 bits/byte x 2^30 bytes/GB) / (2 Mbps x 2^20 bits/Mb) / 3600
seconds/hour = 56.9 hours

If you were able to maintain a constant 4 Mbps for upload speed, it
would still take over a day to upload that 50GB backup file. If the
backup client gradually uploads its backup file while reducing its
process priority, CPU usage, and data bus and network traffic so your
host and Internet access remain responsive (i.e., little impact to the
use of your computer and network while backing up) then backup
completion would take even longer. You give no indication as to the
size of the files you intend to upload. You give no indication as to
what type of Internet access you have or its upload bandwidth.

Bruce Hagen

May 29, 2012, 11:31:05 PM5/29/12

"Todd" <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

Check out Clickfree.
http://www.clickfree.com/

It's not "online", but depending on the version you use, it can be just as
good if not better and it's only a one time purchase. There are many
options, and if you find one you like, look for the same model at other
locations like eBay and Amazon. About two years ago I got an $89.00
version for $54.00 on eBay.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Oct. 1, 2004 ~ Sept. 30, 2010

Paul in Houston TX

May 30, 2012, 1:01:44 AM5/30/12
How interesting! Thanks.
My company uses them and I was assigned a 4 gb account but I
never researched it.
I see now how IT may have come up with the 4 gb amount.

Smirnoff

May 30, 2012, 2:33:42 AM5/30/12

"Good Guy" <hello...@example.com> wrote in message

I've had a Hotmail/Windows Live ID for a number of years now. Thought I'd
check out the above.

Signed in to Hotmail via browser, clicked Skydrive and it tells me I have
7GB of space - no option/link to get free upgrade to 25GB.

glee

May 30, 2012, 7:16:00 AM5/30/12
"Smirnoff" <som...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
Sign into your SkyDrive account. On the left, you will see the "tree"
with Files, Docs, Shared, Computers.... below that, click the link for
"Manage Storage". That takes you to the page for upgrading your storage
plans. If there is a button there to "Upgrade My Storage" to the free
25GB, click it.

If it is not shown anywhere on that page, either you never previously
used your SkyDrive account through Live and so are not eligible, or the
offer has already expired.

http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2012/04/skydrive-changes-25-gb-storage-for.html

Smirnoff

May 30, 2012, 12:44:48 PM5/30/12

"glee" <gle...@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
Could be that the offer has expired or the fact that I never used my Hotmail
address as my Live ID.

I used my ISP's (BT Mail) as my Live ID, either way the option is not there.

Todd

May 30, 2012, 1:36:18 PM5/30/12
On 05/29/2012 01:45 PM, glee wrote:
> "Todd" <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?
>
> I don't use an online backup, but I know a number of people who are
> happy with Carbonite.
> http://www.carbonite.com/

Hi All,

Thank you for all the suggestion! I did go with Carbonite,
as the customer has zero computer skill and Carbonite is
very easy to use.

-T

VanguardLH

May 30, 2012, 6:38:39 PM5/30/12
Everyone at your company is using the same account? If true then I can
see how everyone there got a 4GB quota after the company somehow accrued
another 4 referrals. Were these referrals OUTSIDE the company (i.e.,
sent to a different entity)? Dropbox doesn't define restrictions on
"friends" that you can refer but I suspect they might cancel an account
if all the referrals are within the same entity (company, family). They
are vague as to who and who cannot be a "friend" to qualify for a
referral.

Or does each employee have their own account (and they can elect to
share or not with other employees)? If each employee has their own
account, that would mean your company somehow accrued 4 referrals for
EACH of their employees on each free account so EACH employee would have
a 4GB quota. For 50 employees, that means gathering 200 referrals but
doing so for separately for each Dropbox account (4 referrals per
Dropbox account). That's not just unlikely but smacks of abuse of
Dropbox's TOS regarding referrals.

I don't see a pricing plan that gives 4GB for an initial quota. The
lowest paid plan starts with 50GB. That's *per* Dropbox account. The
only way I can figure you have a legitimate 4GB quota with a free
Dropbox account is that you share the same Dropbox account with all the
other company's employees AND there were 4 referrals to "friends" (which
Dropbox leaves undefined) against that same shared account.

VanguardLH

May 30, 2012, 6:50:19 PM5/30/12
Todd wrote:

> glee wrote:
>
>> Todd wrote ...
>>
>>> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?
>>
>> http://www.carbonite.com/
>
> I did go with Carbonite, as the customer has zero computer skill and
> Carbonite is very easy to use.

Be aware of their limitations, like:

http://www.carbonite.com/en/home/online-backup-faqs
Any file over 4 GB, including Outlook .PST files, must be manually
added to your backup.

So if your customer has some large files or they want their Outlook
message store included in the backup, they will have to edit the
program's config. Hopefully their client works with Volume Shadow Copy
service so they can grab a copy of the .pst file that will be inuse when
Outlook is running (and the customer may leave Outlook running all the
time).

Read:
http://carbonite.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/partner/carbonite/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzODQxNzgzOC9zaWQvakpDSXpyWms%3D
(short URL: http://tinyurl.com/7aqbov9)
Then review my other post in this thread about upload speed. If your
customers has lots of files that accumulate to many gigabytes in total
size, it could be many days before they get all those files backed up.
Cloud backups sound great until you realize how much slower is your
upload speed. That they mention 3-4GB as the typical upper limit on
data transfer but 25GB/day should be possible means they are throttling
down process priority, CPU usage, and bandwidth consumption so your host
and network remain somewhat responsive and usable. Because the initial
backup (or any backup of huge files) can take many days, be sure your
customer does NOT enable any low-power or power-saving modes on their
computer (i.e., standby or hibernate MUST be disabled and the computer
MUST remain in full-power mode).

Paul in Houston TX

May 30, 2012, 6:53:46 PM5/30/12
afaik, only 4 of use that Dropbox. We can share
the files among ourselves. How it came about, idk.
I was chewed out royally for not backing my data up to it.

VanguardLH

May 30, 2012, 7:04:54 PM5/30/12
The offer to upgrade for free has elapsed. If you didn't upgrade before
the non-disclosed expiration date then you cannot increase from 7GB
(which they lowered from 25GB) to 25GB. They robbed you of your old
quota and then pretended they were making a new offer to increase it
(back to its original size).

I have 2 Live/Hotmail accounts. I upgraded 1 account to get [back to]
the 25GB quota but forgot to do the same for the other account. There
is no option for my 2nd account to upgrade [back to] the quota from 7GB
to 25GB, so I'm stuck in my 2nd account with just 7GB.

Microsoft did not announce when their "limited-time offer" (to revert
back to the original 25GB quota) would expire. It just disappeared when
they decided to no longer let users get back the quota that Microsoft
took away.

It's gone. They took it away before you found out about it. They were
hoping it wouldn't get much press so that many existing users would lose
out. It's not like they sent you an e-mail through your Hotmail account
to alert you to their "limited-time loyalty-user offer to retain your
old 25GB quota". They didn't want most of their users knowing their
quota was getting chopped.

VanguardLH

May 30, 2012, 7:19:33 PM5/30/12
Under the guise of help, Jay Tanna (aka Good Guy) decided to spam here
and elsewhere his sites via his signature. He started advertising in
late March, a month after he registered his mytaxsite domain. Before
that he didn't spam in his signature. So, for about 17 months he was
Good Guy. Now he's Spam Guy.

Robert

May 31, 2012, 10:46:34 AM5/31/12
On May 29, 8:55 pm, Todd <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

Todd,

If you just need to backup files to the cloud then something like
DropBox is a good solution.

But if you want to backup systems (servers, databases, email systems)
to the cloud and then be able to recover the systems within a
reasonable amount of time, you'll need something more sophisticated
like Asigra:

- http://www.asigra.com

Asigra only sell through managed service providers like these guys:

- http://www.backupmadeeasy.tv

There are a number of other cloud backup vendors catering to business
users but I believe Asiga has been around the longest.

Hope that helps.

Robert

Stefan Patric

May 31, 2012, 12:28:08 PM5/31/12
On Thu, 31 May 2012 07:46:34 -0700, Robert wrote:

> On May 29, 8:55 pm, Todd <T...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?
>
> Todd,
>
> If you just need to backup files to the cloud then something like
> DropBox is a good solution.
>
> But if you want to backup systems (servers, databases, email systems) to
> the cloud and then be able to recover the systems within a reasonable
> amount of time, you'll need something more sophisticated like Asigra:
>
> - http://www.asigra.com
>
> [snip]

I like Carbonite; http://www.carbonite.com $60 US per year minimum for
Home and Home Office users. Very easy to use; set it and forget it.

Stef

Todd

May 31, 2012, 2:19:31 PM5/31/12
Hi VanguardLH,

Thank you for the heads up!

She uses AOL through Firefox (my doing) for her
eMail.

In this instance, the customer *WILL NOT* backup
her computer -- it is a personality thing. So, it is
On Line backup or nothing at all. And, since I just
recovered her from a bad partition on her hard drive ...
(I am handy with Linux, or she would have lost everything.
She got very, very lucky.)

Just as an aside, our term for On Line backup is
"the creepy backup". But, this time, I had to compromise.

-T

Her Windows partition was so mangled that the W7 installer
could not read it to delete it and reinstall it. I used
gparted on my Linux Xfce Live CD to remove it. My W7 PE disk
chocked on it too. She does not know just how lucky
she was that I was able to copy off her data with
the Live CD.

Paul

May 31, 2012, 3:07:45 PM5/31/12
Todd wrote:

> Just as an aside, our term for On Line backup is
> "the creepy backup". But, this time, I had to compromise.

Not an issue, with the right encryption.

BTW - isn't there a danger this person is going to be
upset by the amount of time the backup is going to take
to run over a network ? How many Gigabytes will be
transferred regularly ? My upload speed on ADSL is
so pathetic, I could never contemplate network (cloud)
backup as a viable solution. I don't even have enough
"upload" to run a webcam in low-res.

Paul

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 1, 2012, 7:06:13 AM6/1/12
In message <jq448m$spo$1...@dont-email.me>, Bruce Hagen
<B...@nospam.invalid> writes:

>"Todd" <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?
>

>Check out Clickfree.
>http://www.clickfree.com/
>
>It's not "online", but depending on the version you use, it can be just
>as good if not better and it's only a one time purchase. There are many
>options, and if you find one you like, look for the same model at other
>locations like eBay and Amazon. About two years ago I got an $89.00
>version for $54.00 on eBay.

I wasn't quite sure what it _is_. So I watched their "what is it" video.
And I'm still not any wiser.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much
more *interesting* to live not knowing than to have answers which might be
wrong. - Richard Feynman, in 1981 Horizon interview

glee

Jun 1, 2012, 10:54:15 AM6/1/12
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <jq448m$spo$1...@dont-email.me>, Bruce Hagen
> <B...@nospam.invalid> writes:
>>
>>"Todd" <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?
>>

>>Check out Clickfree.
>>http://www.clickfree.com/
>>
>>It's not "online", but depending on the version you use, it can be
>>just as good if not better and it's only a one time purchase. There
>>are many options, and if you find one you like, look for the same
>>model at other locations like eBay and Amazon. About two years ago I
>>got an $89.00 version for $54.00 on eBay.
>
> I wasn't quite sure what it _is_. So I watched their "what is it"
> video. And I'm still not any wiser.

?? Mouse-over the Products link in the menu bar on the web page, and
click the products listed.... it's pretty explanatory from there.
Clickfree is an external hard drive with its own backup software built
in... you plug it into the computer and it automatically backs up the
designated files. There are a few types of drives and backup types.
Alternately, they sell an adapter with the software on it, so you can
use it with your own external drive instead.

VanguardLH

Jun 1, 2012, 10:54:46 AM6/1/12
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> Bruce Hagen:
>
>> Check out Clickfree. http://www.clickfree.com/
>>
>> It's not "online", but depending on the version you use, it can be
>> just as good if not better and it's only a one time purchase. There
>> are many options, and if you find one you like, look for the same
>> model at other locations like eBay and Amazon. About two years ago I
>> got an $89.00 version for $54.00 on eBay.
>
> I wasn't quite sure what it _is_. So I watched their "what is it" video.
> And I'm still not any wiser.

"No software to install."
That's what the video claims.
Oh yes, those magical non-existing processes that can do marvels.

If it isn't in memory (as a process) then it doesn't run. SOMETHING
runs on your host.

"Just plug it in."
Oh oh. Looks like dongleware. Plug in a dongle and a program runs from
there. So there is something running in memory. It's just ran from a
dongle.

My guess is it is a USB-attached removable storage device that can store
onto an SD flash memory card or can upload files via network to an
online account (so much for "no setup").

They show a software-only version (so much for "no software to install")
that uploads your files to either USB-attached media or via Internet to
an account ("cloud" storage).

Apparently the "easy" part is not having to configure their program as
to what it will backup. "... by automatically searching for and backing
up all the content stored on your computer ..." It scans for all files
and uploads all files. Hope you don't have any monster-sized but
temporary video files or huge .vhd files for VirtualPC (or any other
virtualized OS).

Now go to http://www.clickfree.com/index.php/buy_now and figure out just
what to buy that they are advertising on their home page and in the
video.

http://www.clickfree.com/index.php/product_grouping_matrix/matrix_view/id/Traveler
Their "Traveller" version. Looks to be a pocket-sized USB-attached
flash-based storage device. You know, it's what everyone else calls a
USB thumb or USB flash drive. My guess is they are hoping you haven't
blocked the security hole in Windows that allows autorun.inf to load a
program upon discovery of the device. If you've disable AutoRun on your
computer so some program, perhaps malware, can't automatically start
when you plug in the USB-attached device then their automatic scan and
backup program isn't going to load automatically. Capacity is 16GB to
64GB but they don't reveal any prices plus their Buy Now page for this
product says "Out of stock".

http://www.clickfree.com/index.php/product_grouping_matrix/matrix_view/id/Traveler
Yeah, just another USB-attached external hard disk. Again, if you've
disabled AutoRun then their automatic backup program won't be loading
when you plug this in. If their "patented AutoRun" program is a process
running on your host waiting to discover their device then you did have
to install software on your host so it is always running in the
background to check if it can discover their device. How much does it
cost? They don't tell you. What's its storage capacity? They don't
tell you. You have to leave their "buy" page to read their product
description to see capacity ranges from 500GB to 2TB. Their Buy Now
page doesn't have a link to actually buy.

Maybe you have to create an account there and signin before they reveal
prices. No thanks. I'm pretty sure I can find better priced deals for
USB-attached hard disks and USB-attached flash drives than from this
place and use free backup software with them. There's also no mention
for the cost of using their cloud storage service.

glee

Jun 1, 2012, 12:18:55 PM6/1/12
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <jq448m$spo$1...@dont-email.me>, Bruce Hagen
> <B...@nospam.invalid> writes:
>>
>>"Todd" <To...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?
>>

>>Check out Clickfree.
>>http://www.clickfree.com/
>>
>>It's not "online", but depending on the version you use, it can be
>>just as good if not better and it's only a one time purchase. There
>>are many options, and if you find one you like, look for the same
>>model at other locations like eBay and Amazon. About two years ago I
>>got an $89.00 version for $54.00 on eBay.
>
> I wasn't quite sure what it _is_. So I watched their "what is it"
> video. And I'm still not any wiser.

Clickfree Portable Backup Drive Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-hard-drives/clickfree-portable-backup-drive/4505-9997_7-33497721.html

Clickfree HD325 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

Todd

Jun 1, 2012, 1:28:31 PM6/1/12
Once the initial backup is complete, her backup
load should be minor. One or two documents a day.

With her, out of sight, out of mind is the rule.
It is this or nothing at all. She has a 2 MB/sec
upload speed.

I don't like the situation, but ...

VanguardLH

Jun 1, 2012, 2:31:44 PM6/1/12
Todd wrote:

> She has a 2 MB/sec upload speed.

More likely she has 2 Mbps, not 2 MBps. There's a factor of 8 between
those two. Is she really paying for 16 Mbps on the upstream side?

Todd

Jun 1, 2012, 5:08:45 PM6/1/12
correct

VanguardLH

Jun 2, 2012, 1:15:20 AM6/2/12
And that would a response to my first sentence or last one?

My ISP makes me pay incrementally more as I increase the upstream speed.
There's no plan for 16 Mbps upstream; however, their plan with 20 Mbps
costs more than twice what I pay now. Too pricey for me since I don't
upload often and don't run a publicly accessible server (which would
violate my ISP's TOS for a non-business account).

Maybe she's richer or decided to spend more on Internet (to get higher
upstream speed). I've seen some folks spend more money in a month on a
subscription cell phone plan than I prepay for 2 year's worth of service
- and I still end up rolling minutes over into the next subscription!

Todd

Jun 3, 2012, 4:09:30 PM6/3/12
On 06/01/2012 10:15 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
>>> More likely she has 2 Mbps, not 2 MBps. There's a factor of 8 between
>> >
>> > correct
> And that would a response to my first sentence or last one?

Oops. 2 Mbps was correct. She has Charter. The "correct" was
suppose to mean "I goof it".

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jun 4, 2012, 10:02:58 AM6/4/12
In message <jqal2q$rgt$1...@dont-email.me>, glee <gle...@spamindspring.com>
writes:
>"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@soft255.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <jq448m$spo$1...@dont-email.me>, Bruce Hagen
>><B...@nospam.invalid> writes:
[]
>>>Check out Clickfree.
>>>http://www.clickfree.com/
>>>
>>>It's not "online", but depending on the version you use, it can be
>>>just as good if not better and it's only a one time purchase. There
>>>are many options, and if you find one you like, look for the same
>>>model at other locations like eBay and Amazon. About two years ago I
>>>got an $89.00 version for $54.00 on eBay.
>>
>> I wasn't quite sure what it _is_. So I watched their "what is it"
>>video. And I'm still not any wiser.

Thanks to VanguardLH for backing me up that the website isn't clear (or
at the very least assumes you know some things ...) ...

>?? Mouse-over the Products link in the menu bar on the web page, and
>click the products listed.... it's pretty explanatory from there.
>Clickfree is an external hard drive with its own backup software built
>in... you plug it into the computer and it automatically backs up the
>designated files. There are a few types of drives and backup types.
>Alternately, they sell an adapter with the software on it, so you can
>use it with your own external drive instead.

Thanks, that's quite clear. (Though as VanguardLH says, saying it
doesn't install anything is pushing things a bit. OK, it doesn't put
anything _on your hard disc_ - at least, it _probably_ doesn't, though
it must keep its configuration files [what to {not} back up, when it
last did, and how often you want it to] somewhere, possibly on the
backup device itself.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

1. If it's green, it's biology
2. If it smells, it's chemistry
3. If it doesn't work, it's physics.

glee

Jun 4, 2012, 10:37:18 AM6/4/12
> snip
> Thanks, that's quite clear. (Though as VanguardLH says, saying it
> doesn't install anything is pushing things a bit. OK, it doesn't put
> anything _on your hard disc_ - at least, it _probably_ doesn't...
> snip

Well, "installing" means installing executables, drivers and/or dll's on
your drive, adding to your system. By that definition, it doen't
install. Even if it puts something into memory, that isn't "installing"
on your system.... there is a difference.

ma...@vembu.com

Aug 11, 2012, 7:10:24 AM8/11/12
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 1:25:38 AM UTC+5:30, Todd wrote:
> Can anyone recommend an on line back services they like?

StoreGrid Cloud online backup.

Mark Willaims
vembu.com