Scheduled Tasks - Could not Start!

GB

Nov 4, 2002, 5:00:31 PM11/4/02
Hi all

For some reason my scheduled task are not running, I looked at scheduled
task and it says could not start by each task, Anyone know why?
They used to work fine.
Windows XP Home with SP1

Thanks
GB

peter

Nov 4, 2002, 7:31:07 PM11/4/02
All Scheduled Tasks will only work if you have a password assigned to the user account that set up the scheduled tasks and will only run in that account.
If user A set up the tasks and you are signed in as user B they will not run.
My scheduled tasks run perfectly at 2 am with my machine on my account.
peter

Kelly

Nov 5, 2002, 1:37:18 AM11/5/02

Scheduled Tasks - Auto Start (getting scheduled tasks to run when no one is
logged on).

If you follow these steps, the shedlgu.txt file will be replaced without any information other than system start-up information upon the first boot.

Go to Start/Run/Msconfig. Click Selective Startup and uncheck Load System Services, click ok. Reboot.

Upon reboot, click OK to the first Window that indicates that you have selected "Selective Startup". When the System Configuration Utility reappears, Check the Normal Startup Box.

Then go to Start/Search and type in: schedlgu.txt. When it appears, right click on the file and delete it. Reboot.

You will now have a new Task Scheduler Log File. It can be checked by going to Start/Search and typing in: schedlgu.txt. Appearing will be your new Task Scheduler Log.

Running Scheduled Tasks without a password:

For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Policy/Local Policies/Security options. In the right hand pane (third down).

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by default, disable it.

For Home: Run Scheduled Task without a Password (Line 68)

All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP-Shell/User [AE-Windows® XP]
Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com