Is it safe to remove $NtUninstall files?

1 view

Connor T

Jul 15, 2005, 2:05:54 PM7/15/05

I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows directory.

Assuming i'm happy with the system and have no desire to roll back any of my
Windows Updates, can I safely remove these files?

I'm low on disk space, but can't figure out why, so these are the first to
get the chop!

Rgds,
Dan

David H. Lipman

Jul 15, 2005, 2:14:49 PM7/15/05
From: "Connor T" <madma...@hotmail.com>

Yes if you don't plan on uninstallinga particular HotFix/Critical update. You may just want
to delete those say with folder dates older than 30 days.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Jul 15, 2005, 2:41:12 PM7/15/05
Connor T wrote:

Hi,

For folders you can consider deleting and other disk cleanup tips,
take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=%2368Pw4rlEHA.3712%40TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Connor T

Jul 15, 2005, 2:56:43 PM7/15/05

> For folders you can consider deleting and other disk cleanup tips,
> take a look here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=%2368Pw4rlEHA.3712%40TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl

Excellent, many thanks for both fast replies!

All Things Mopar

Jul 15, 2005, 3:32:35 PM7/15/05
On this date, Connor T extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> Hi,
>
> I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows
> directory.

There's two other MB stealers:

1) Restore Points. You can safely delete older RP from System
Volume Information.

2) Temporary Internet Files stored locally on your HD by
Internet Explorer. After 18 months on XP, I have 6GB for this! I
found out the way to delete it all is to go to Tools>Delete
Files, and put a check in the Delete all offline content.

--
ATM, aka Jerry

David H. Lipman

Jul 15, 2005, 7:28:29 PM7/15/05
From: "All Things Mopar" <useMAP...@comMAPScast.net>

The IE cache (TIF) only needs to be ~10MB !

All Things Mopar

Jul 15, 2005, 10:39:05 PM7/15/05
On this date, David H. Lipman extended this wisdom for the
consideration of other readers...

> From: "All Things Mopar" <useMAP...@comMAPScast.net>
>
>| On this date, Connor T extended this wisdom for the
>| consideration of other readers...
>|
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have 500mb ish of these above files in my windows
>>> directory.
>|
>| There's two other MB stealers:
>|
>| 1) Restore Points. You can safely delete older RP from
>| System Volume Information.
>|
>| 2) Temporary Internet Files stored locally on your HD by
>| Internet Explorer. After 18 months on XP, I have 6GB for
>| this! I found out the way to delete it all is to go to
>| Tools>Delete Files, and put a check in the Delete all
>| offline content.
>|
>| --
>| ATM, aka Jerry
>
> The IE cache (TIF) only needs to be ~10MB !

Maybe so, but IE ignores the setting for how much disk space
you want allocated and just goes on a HD spending spree by
putting the files into some kind of hidden area in the temp
folder. When I finally found this last week, I had over 6 gig,
with 283,000 files, in several hundred folders, all hidden
from view even though I had everything set /not/ to be hidden.
So, beware, local storage can be a /major/ HD space eater!

--
ATM, aka Jerry

David H. Lipman

Jul 16, 2005, 9:14:12 AM7/16/05
From: "All Things Mopar" <useMAP...@comMAPScast.net>

| Maybe so, but IE ignores the setting for how much disk space
| you want allocated and just goes on a HD spending spree by
| putting the files into some kind of hidden area in the temp
| folder. When I finally found this last week, I had over 6 gig,
| with 283,000 files, in several hundred folders, all hidden
| from view even though I had everything set /not/ to be hidden.
| So, beware, local storage can be a /major/ HD space eater!
|
| --
| ATM, aka Jerry

Nope... You can happily set the max. amount of cache disk space allocation and it is a
setting that I strongly suggest to be set.

start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options
General --> settings --> amount of disk space to use --> 10MB

fr...@theshire.org

Jul 16, 2005, 11:43:55 AM7/16/05
Connor T <madma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Assuming i'm happy with the system and have no desire to roll back any of my
> Windows Updates, can I safely remove these files?

Yes, and this tool does it for you pretty easily:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm

HOWEVER, do NOT delete \windows\$hf_mig$ and its folders, which are
another copy of the same stuff. These are in fact needed, in case you
ever need to do a sfcscan or certain types of application installs.

Also, if you look in \windows\software distribution\download you'll find
that windows update has saved all the updates it has downloaded for you;
these too can be deleted to free up disk space.

Connor T

Jul 17, 2005, 8:08:57 AM7/17/05

> Yes, and this tool does it for you pretty easily:
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
>
> HOWEVER, do NOT delete \windows\$hf_mig$ and its folders, which are
> another copy of the same stuff. These are in fact needed, in case you
> ever need to do a sfcscan or certain types of application installs.
>
> Also, if you look in \windows\software distribution\download you'll find
> that windows update has saved all the updates it has downloaded for you;
> these too can be deleted to free up disk space.

Excellent, thanks to everyone for all the replies, managed to free up a good
few gb now!

Rgds,
Dan