Two kinds of Temporary Internet Files - what's the difference?

kaream

Dec 25, 2005, 12:35:26 AM12/25/05
The default folder stucture of XP is
Drive (C:)\
Documents and Settings\
[my_logon]\
Local Settings\
Temporary Internet Files\
Content.IE5 (*hidden*)\
[several 8-char alphanumeric randomly-named folders]

The main TIF folder itself contains many files of various types: css,
gif, jpg, etc. (I note, however, that although a number of files are
identified in the Type field as "HTML Document", many have no file
extension at all, and others are shown with "html" rather than "htm"
extensions; FWIW I also have several files carrying a "gif" extension
that are identified as Type "JPEG Image".) If I doubleclick on any of
these files, regardless of extension or Type, I'm given the warning
"Running a system command on this file might be unsafe. Do you wish to
continue?" (And indeed when I proceeded, it brought up the image, but
wiped out my earlier draft of this post.)

One such file, as an example, is:
Name: groups_medium.gif
Internet Address: http://groups.google.com/groups/img/groups_medium.gif
Type: GIF Image
Size: 6 KB

Another example is:
Name: ServiceLoginBoxAuth (no extension)
Internet Address: https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLoginBoxAuth
Type: HTML Document
Size: 4 KB

There are no additional files with names at all similar in the main TIF
folder; just the one "grou...", and just the one "Serv...".

After displaying my hidden Content.IE5 folder (*see below), I can
rummage through the subfolders looking for the same or similarly named
files as these two. This display gives Name, Type, and Size, but not
Internet Address; nor does the View menu offer such a field. In
various subfolders I find:

groups[1].htm (38 KB)
groups-onebox[1].gif (1 KB)
groups[1].htm (36 KB; another copy, in a different folder)
groups_medium[2].gif (6 KB)
groups[1].htm (39 KB; a 3rd copy)
ServiceLoginBoxAuth[1].htm (4 KB),
and several such as:
ServiceLoginBoxAuth........[1] (7 or 8-char code, no extension; 2 KB)

Of these various files that I find in the subfolders of Content.IE5, I
am able to doubleclick and open and view any that Windows recognizes
the file Type. Many but not all of these files can be opened and
viewed even when I am disconnected from the internet. Apparently any
of them could be copied to other folders via the Edit menu if I wish; I
have had occasion to copy many such files to My Documents, but haven't
tried a lot of different Types/extensions. Or, they can be deleted
individually, as opposed to performing a full cleanup.

So what is the difference between these two kinds of files, the ones in
the main TIF folder being readily viewable but dangerous to run, as
opposed to the more numerous files in the hidden Content.IE5
subfolders, most of which are readily opened or otherwise manipulated?
And why is it necessary to essentially, but not exactly, duplicate
them, so that between the two sets of files, they take up roughly twice
the disk space? (This 2nd question assumes the sizes displayed in the
main TIF folder are real as opposed to virtual; the sizes shown in the
Content.IE5 subfolders are obviously real, however.)

*"displaying my hidden Content.IE5 folder":
This folder is "super"-hidden, with "smoke and mirrors;" a "View hidden
folders" setting doesn't do the trick. (If anyone is still running
Windows 2000, neither part of the TIF folder is hidden in that
version.)
--open My Computer
--open Folders view (handy but not required)
--rightclick Drive C:
--choose Properties
--choose Disk Cleanup
--highlight Temporary Internet Files
--choose View Files
Content.IE5 and its subfolders will appear in a new window.
Interestingly, in this new window the files in the main TIF folder are
now all hidden.

Merry Christmas!