blocking spam in Outlook Express 6

Kevin D.

Sep 11, 2004, 6:39:28 PM9/11/04
I'm looking for help to block spam with OE 6 for WinXP.
I know that OE has a Blocked Senders List. That will not
work for me because most of the spam I'm getting is never
from the same domain. However, an Approved Senders List
will be exactly what I need. 99% of the e-mail I get is
from the same people. So, is there a way within OE to
set something like this up?

If you have any info please send me an e-mail if you can.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers

Sep 11, 2004, 8:22:07 PM9/11/04
Hi Kevin,

Click tools/message rules/mail. You need to create two rules. The first one
is: Apply this after the message arrives, if the sender (from field) is one
of the people you want, then stop processing more rules. The second one is
for all incoming mail, delete it and mark it as read. They must be created
or moved into this order. This way, if the mail is from a legitimate sender,
it will land in your inbox and the second rule will not be applied. All
others will be redirected to the deleted folder per the second rule. You
will still need to periodically empty the deleted items folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kevin D." <righ...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Plato

Sep 12, 2004, 5:10:40 AM9/12/04
Kevin D. wrote:

> I'm looking for help to block spam with OE 6 for WinXP.

Use an ISP that blocks UCE for you.

varick

Sep 18, 2004, 3:29:02 PM9/18/04
That sounds like a pretty good idea. What I would really like to do is
accept, in my default inbox, all messages from anyone in my address book and
direct all others (spammers) to a separate folder for later review. Is this
doable?
Varick

Jim Macklin

Sep 18, 2004, 3:33:43 PM9/18/04
There arte third party programs that will do that for you.

"varick" <vst...@san.rr.com(donotspam)> wrote in message

R. McCarty

Sep 18, 2004, 3:46:21 PM9/18/04
Most ISP's have Server side filtering available. There are several
levels of integration. Usually, the control/setup is from the webmail
service for each provider.

You can set it to only "Trap & Hold" known Spam, or a higher
level of suspected Spam. Finally, an option to only pass through
mail that you've explicitly allowed (Address Book or by entering
the addresses yourself.
Most ISP's can either hold Spam for a few days to allow you
to review or simply delete it as soon as it arrives.

Many folks aren't aware of this and attempt to control the Spam
after it's delivered to OE or Outlook. So I would suggest you find
and log onto Web mail for your provider & change your preferences.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers

Sep 18, 2004, 4:34:38 PM9/18/04

Yes it is do-able. Create the rule as described, using "apply this rule
after the message arrives"/"where the from field contains people"/"stop
processing more rules". Then click the "from people" field, and you will see
a button for the address book where you can select them all.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone