XP will not shut down or reboot - nothing happens

atebark

Jan 21, 2007, 3:10:01 PM1/21/07
Once again, the infamous XP issue of trying to shut down and reboot/restart a
XP (SP2) PC. It makes a sound as if it were about to shut down/reboot, but
then nothing happens. Seconds later, I can resume using my PC as if I never
tried to shut it down. I do not receive any error messages and have not made
any drastic changes to my PC. I had fixed it before and thought I had saved
the FIX somewhere but cannot find it. I vaguely recall having to go into F8
(or is it F12) during a PC boot (after a hard shutdown), but am not sure.

I have tried these places but no help so far:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/12585

Auto End Tasks to Enable a Proper Shutdown (Line 76)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm">http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/windowsxp/130526/XP-will-not-shut-down

http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

In my prior post (http://snipurl.com/17zhv), Gerry Cornell suggested the
below fix , but it did not help.

Download and install the User
Profile Hive Cleanup Service
Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
http://snipurl.com/5b61

UPHClean v1.5e readme.txt
http://snipurl.com/ko8m

John Nice

Jan 21, 2007, 5:41:22 PM1/21/07

"atebark" <ate...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Once again, the infamous XP issue of trying to shut down and
> reboot/restart a
> XP (SP2) PC. It makes a sound as if it were about to shut down/reboot, but
> then nothing happens. Seconds later, I can resume using my PC as if I
> never
> tried to shut it down. I do not receive any error messages and have not
> made
> any drastic changes to my PC. I had fixed it before and thought I had
> saved
> the FIX somewhere but cannot find it. I vaguely recall having to go into
> F8
> (or is it F12) during a PC boot (after a hard shutdown), but am not sure.

Before you blame XP, what "non-drastic" changes have you made? And how
many XP-SP2 users haven't even heard of this issue, let alone experienced
it?

John

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000704-0, 18/01/2007
Tested on: 1/21/2007 22:41:23

dB

Jan 21, 2007, 5:40:57 PM1/21/07
A test can be done by logging into safemode with networking option.  Then observe if your pc will shutdown cleanly in that mode.

However, a repair installation with your windows setup cd usually can fix those uniquely unsolvable issues.

My guess is that the incomplete
shutdown may be due to a hardware
that the pc cannot disable for
a clean shutdown.

If this is the case, then the hardware
problem will reveal itself and stall the
repair installation.

If it is not a hardware problem, then
it is likely some system files that became
corrupt. But the repair installation
can restore them.

There is more information on
this winxp installation method
from Microsoft.com

geniuseire

Jan 22, 2007, 12:16:34 PM1/22/07

'Resources to help troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows XP'
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308029)

some very useful suggestions,
If it is not a hardware issue, then if all fails do a repair follow
Microsoft's instruction on the link above and scroll down to repair. I
have had this problem in the past, usually a corrupted files, such as
ntdetect, ntldr.
Fixing NTLDR or NTDETECT
do solution 1 first.
Solution 1.
This is what I prefer and always works
Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the
CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot
up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any key.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a
reference asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice
that if you wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress
F2. Just let setup run past all of that. It will continue to load
files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a
screen with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows
Installation using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you
to press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement.
Setup will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding
your version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current
installation or install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair
installation. From there on, follow the screens.

solution 2 this is from Ms link above.
I have problems with this as it asks for (administrative password) I
don't know but I cannot get beyond this point so the solution 1. for me
is best.

Using a command-line interface
1. Boot from your Windows XP CD-ROM.
2. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key.
3. Press the number that corresponds to the installation of Windows you
want to repair. Typically this will be number 1.
4. When prompted type in the administrator password.(if there is no
administrator password just hit enter.)(and keep fingers crossed)
5. Enter in the following commands (d: is replaced by the actual drive
letter that is assigned to the CD-ROM drive):
> COPY d:\i386\NETTLED C:\

or:
> COPY d:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

Remove the XP CD-ROM, type exit at the command prompt, and then press
the Enter key to restart the PC normally.

Now if you cannot boot up and your computer is off, I suggest you take
out your hard drive and put it into another computer, you should be
able to access the hard drive and manually repair the two corrupted
files as above. I have done this in the past several times and works
well, now failing that another alternative is to download onto disk one
of Linux OS systems 'Welcome - Ubuntu: Linux for human beings'
(http://www.ubuntu.com) once you have completed this, you will be able
to boot your machine using ubuntu. When you machine is booted you will
be able to do a manual repair, of corrupted files.

Good luck all the above sounds very difficult, but it is
not...........I would like to hear how you get on

Terry

--
geniuseire