Adding PCMCIA CDROM Drivers to XP Pro Setup

drtige...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2006, 12:41:20 PM9/27/06
I have been trying to install Windows XP on my Toshiba Portege M200
Tablet, the tablet does not have a built in CDROM Drive, and instead
uses external solutions, one of which is the Targus Noteworthy NWDVD04
CD/DVD ROM Drive.
This drive connect to the pc via a PCMCIA cable.

I have tried to install the Microsoft Windows XP to the tablet, via
booting to the cdrom drive w/ the XP CD, it starts and begins loading
drivers but just as it is about to start the Windows Installation the
machine bluescreens & gives the following message:

A problem had been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error restart your
computer. if this screen
appears again
Follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer.
Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check
your hard drive to make
sure that it is properly congfigured and terminated. Run Chkdsk /F to
check for hard drive
corruption, and then restart yout computer.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7c78524, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I followed the instructions and checked the hard drive, there are no
problems or issues with the hard drive. While searching the internet, i
came across a toshiba forum, and a user suggested that the issue is:

"The BIOS supports booting from certain PC Card based CD Roms. The
support is quite basic and provides only the possibility to boot. At
some point the operating system has to take over the support of the
device from the BIOS ... At this point a driver is required regardless
of the operating system (DOS, Win XP, Linux....whatever). If the driver
is available everything is sweet. No driver - no more access to the CD
Rom where the rest of the boot files and system files reside.
So from that point the connection is cut."

I have DOS & Windows 98/NT/XP Drivers for the Drive, so i am curious to
find out, if it is possible to add these missing drivers to the Windows
XP Installation, any help you can provide, will be greatly appreciated.

*update* tried adding the drivers in @ the raid f6 option and it just
continued as if i hadn't pressed f6 :(

Rock

Sep 27, 2006, 7:54:42 PM9/27/06
<drtige...@gmail.com> wrote>I have been trying to install Windows XP on
my Toshiba Portege M200
> Tablet, the tablet does not have a built in CDROM Drive, and instead
> uses external solutions, one of which is the Targus Noteworthy NWDVD04
> CD/DVD ROM Drive.
> This drive connect to the pc via a PCMCIA cable.
>
> I have tried to install the Microsoft Windows XP to the tablet, via
> booting to the cdrom drive w/ the XP CD, it starts and begins loading
> drivers but just as it is about to start the Windows Installation the
> machine bluescreens & gives the following message:
>
> A problem had been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage to your computer.
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error restart your
> computer. if this screen
> appears again
> Follow these steps:
> Check for viruses on your computer.
> Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check
> your hard drive to make
> sure that it is properly congfigured and terminated. Run Chkdsk /F to
> check for hard drive
> corruption, and then restart yout computer.
>
> Technical Information:
> *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF7c78524, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

<snip>

You might also want to post to the tabletPC newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windows.tabletpc. Here is a list of MS public newsgroups.
http://www.aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Rock [ MVP User/Shell]