Chinese Error in XP

Lost

Apr 11, 2007, 8:42:02 AM4/11/07
I have a problem that I can't seem to find the answer too. At my company we
have multiple machines that are getting some sort of Chinese (this is only a
guess) error. We have turned this into Symantec but they have said that it is
not a virus/trojan or anything else. Anyone else experienced the same problem
or even better know what it is and how to fix it? This has only come into
play in the past couple months.

Wesley Vogel

Apr 11, 2007, 1:10:31 PM4/11/07
Do a SEARCH on the machines for MFC42LOC.DLL.

Locate the file mfc42loc.dll and if found, check its properties. May be
Chinese. I had a Japanese mfc42loc.dll file once. I think I got it through
Internet Explorer when I visited a page that foreign language stuff and I
clicked OK when I should not have.

If MFC42LOC.DLL is present in %windir%\System32 delete it or rename it.

MFC42LOC.DLL tells mfc42.dll what language to use in some dialog and menu
boxes. Installing a program that comes in multiple languages (or installing
an update that is not the same language as the operating system) will
occasionally drop a copy of this file that does not match the users
language settings. Renaming or deleting the file allows Windows to use the
user's default language settings instead the language noted by the file.

Do NOT rename or move the mfc42.dll
file. That is a normal file and should be left alone.

some info from...
Sharon F
MS MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C218BBC9-A642-4644...@microsoft.com,
Lost <Lo...@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Ken Blake, MVP

Apr 11, 2007, 1:18:38 PM4/11/07
Lost wrote:

"Some sort of Chinese error" is nowhere near enough information for us to
supply help.Please describe the error much more specifically. If possible,
cut and paste the message into your reply here.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Lost

Apr 20, 2007, 9:54:03 AM4/20/07
I did check the machines for this and there wasn't a mfc42loc.dll. I was
really hoping that this was it.

Lost

Apr 20, 2007, 10:00:06 AM4/20/07
I really wish I had more info to give you but there is no rhyme or reason to
this. Completely random. Here is the pic.

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w117/Sithpippin/asiancharacterserror.jpg[/IMG]

Wesley Vogel

Apr 20, 2007, 1:24:53 PM4/20/07

Lost

Apr 20, 2007, 2:24:00 PM4/20/07
Thanks for the replies. I checked the first link and they same to point to
the same problem with the file. I did check the machine's with this error and
none had that file.

It happens more with Word but not exclusively.

Lost

Apr 23, 2007, 9:08:00 AM4/23/07
Any other idea's?

Wesley Vogel

Apr 23, 2007, 4:02:48 PM4/23/07
Have you installed a language other than English?

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Regional and Language Options |
Languages tab | Details button | Settings tab |

Make sure that US English is the only thing listed under Installed services.
Get rid of any Language bars if they exist.

Default input language
[[Specifies the default language that you use to insert text. The default
language is used every time you start or log on to your computer.
For example, if you insert text in German most of the time, but have also
added English as an input language, select German as your default language.
When you want to insert text in English, you can switch to that language.
A language must be added under Installed services to be available as a
default.]]

Add button
[[Click to install additional languages and text services. When you start or
log on to your computer, all the languages and text services that you have
added are loaded into memory.]]

Delete button
[[Click to delete the selected language or text service from the list. The
deleted option will no longer be loaded into memory when you start or log on
to your computer.]]

Keyboard layout/IME
[[Lists the keyboard layouts and Input Method Editors (IMEs) that are
available for the selected language.
Select the check box to enable this option. Clear the check box if you don’t
want to add a keyboard layout or IME for the selected language. You cannot
add a new language without selecting at least one text service.
An IME is a program that is used to enter East Asian language characters
using a keyboard.]]

Installed services...
[[Displays the languages and text services that are installed and loaded
into memory when you start your computer. Text services include keyboard
layouts, Input Method Editors (IMEs), and handwriting and speech recognition
options. IMEs are programs that are used for entering East Asian language
characters using a keyboard.
Click Add to install additional languages and text services. To delete an
option, select it and click Remove. You must have at least one text
service.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A5E75A67-00C8-4A48...@microsoft.com,

Lost

Apr 25, 2007, 9:14:04 AM4/25/07
Nope. Not this either. Thanks for idea though. Any other's?