Re: DirectX "Cannot trust file"

Rich Barry

Nov 8, 2005, 8:24:34 PM11/8/05
Go here and download DirectX Eradicator. Remove the old DirectX first
then try installing 9.0c.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secure-cleaning/DirectX-Eradicator.shtml

"Hossy" <Ho...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've been trying to update my version of DirectX from 9.0b to 9.0c.
> Everytime I open the setup it instantly fails the install showing a
> message
> saying, "A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted." I
> thought maybe it had to do with my video and/or sound card drivers
> thinking
> that they might not be WHQL certified. So I updated those drivers and
> verified their certified signatures in the DirectX Diagnostics. Yet once
> again, I tried installing DirectX and it still comes up with the same
> error
> window. At this point I have no idea what it could be. I'm using Windows
> XP
> Service Pack 1 and I know that Service Pack 2 already has the newest
> version
> of DirectX. Unfortunately I'm having seperate problems installing SP2
> also.
> Any thoughts?

jmv

Dec 18, 2005, 7:03:03 AM12/18/05
I get the same message and this "Please verify the Cryptographic Services are
enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid". The Cryptographic
Services are enabled. I have SP2 and DirectX 9.0C installed. I was trying
to install the December 2005 updates to DirectX.

Malke

Dec 18, 2005, 10:02:06 AM12/18/05
jmv wrote:

> I get the same message and this "Please verify the Cryptographic
> Services are
> enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid". The
> Cryptographic
> Services are enabled. I have SP2 and DirectX 9.0C installed. I was
> trying to install the December 2005 updates to DirectX.

If you are getting the Cyrptographic Error, then do Run> net stop
cryptsvc; ren c:\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2; net start cryptsvc.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

jmv

Dec 18, 2005, 8:52:02 PM12/18/05
I tried this, still got an error message and ran System Restore.

Here's the original error message: A cabinet file necessary for
installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are

enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid.