How do I stop the flashing taskbar?

Susan

Aug 24, 2002, 3:27:27 PM8/24/02
Hi, Is there anyway to get my taskbar from flashing each
time a new application is started or a chat box message
appears. Thank you in advance. Susan

d...@null.invalid

Aug 24, 2002, 3:42:09 PM8/24/02
Susan wrote:

> Hi, Is there anyway to get my taskbar from flashing each
> time a new application is started or a chat box message
> appears.

Install TweakUI. In this version, 2.00.0.0, there is a Focus item.
Under the GENERAL branch, what you want can be specified.

http://WWW.MICROSOFT.COM/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Tom Porterfield

Aug 24, 2002, 3:44:26 PM8/24/02
On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 19:27:27 GMT, "Susan" <HnHoc...@aol.com> wrote in

> Hi, Is there anyway to get my taskbar from flashing each
> time a new application is started or a chat box message
> appears. Thank you in advance. Susan

What would you like to happen instead? In the earlier versions of Windows
these applications would simply steal focus. This was generally
undesirable behavior. You can tweak this. The easiest way is to get the
TweakUI PowerToy for Windows XP. You can download it from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp. Once
installed, run TweakUI. Expand General and select Focus. You can modify
the setting there.

--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP (DTS)

Shaun Michalak

Aug 24, 2002, 3:55:16 PM8/24/02
One way is to install Tweak UI on XP and then go to the
focus area under general (click on the plus next to
general) and uncheck prevent application from stealing
focus and that will stop it from blinking and lighting
up. the download link is here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys
.asp

Shaun Michalak

>.

Frank

Aug 24, 2002, 10:19:00 PM8/24/02
Right click on task bar, click properties, remove the check beside group
similiar taskbar buttons.

Frank White
www.whitecapcomputer.com

Susan

Aug 24, 2002, 10:17:57 PM8/24/02
Hi, I did uncheck the prevent application from stealing
focus but it still will blink and light up on the
taskbar. Any other suggestions. I can control how many
time it blinks but that is about it. Thanks for your help
Susan

ken...@ukgateway.net

Aug 25, 2002, 6:44:47 AM8/25/02
On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:27:27 -0700, "Susan" <HnHoc...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Hi, Is there anyway to get my taskbar from flashing each
>time a new application is started or a chat box message
>appears. Thank you in advance. Susan

Question related to the answers you've received.

How do I get the setting in tweakui to stick?

I "Prevent application from stealing focus" but every time I restart
or switch users it is back there unchecked.

MK

Michael Kenward Words for sale

Les Herrman

Aug 25, 2002, 10:21:29 AM8/25/02
On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 11:44:47 +0100, ken...@ukgateway.net wrote:

>On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:27:27 -0700, "Susan" <HnHoc...@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi, Is there anyway to get my taskbar from flashing each
>>time a new application is started or a chat box message
>>appears. Thank you in advance. Susan
>
>Question related to the answers you've received.
>
>How do I get the setting in tweakui to stick?
>
>I "Prevent application from stealing focus" but every time I restart
>or switch users it is back there unchecked.
>
>MK

This is because if you want to stop the flashing, you are looking in
the wrong place.

Go to General then Focus in the tree in Tweak. Here is where you set
the flashing on or off or how many times it flashes etc.

Susan

Aug 25, 2002, 1:49:52 PM8/25/02
Hi, I have gone to my tweak,general tab, focus, and
unchecked the prevent applications from stealing focus
box, unfortunately I can not uncheck the flash taskbar
button it. I either have the option of checking flash
taskbar button until I click on it, or flash taskbar
button (1 time is the lowest it will go), there is no
option to uncheck them all. Any more help would be
appreciated. Have a great weekend. Susan
>.

ken...@ukgateway.net

Aug 26, 2002, 8:03:24 AM8/26/02

I knew I shouldn't confuse the issue.

I'm not interested in the flashing but in the focus.

Both appear on the same "panel" in tweakui. But the focus thing
doesn't stick.