[OT] Ping NoSTop

--Alias--

Aug 5, 2006, 9:31:39 AM8/5/06
I am going to install Ubuntu on another hard drive. Ubuntu is in FAT32.
So, if I want to import my OE message store and Address Book into
Ubuntu's email program, how do I do it when all my partitions in XP are
in NTFS?

Thanks,

Alias

Kerry Brown

Aug 5, 2006, 9:49:58 AM8/5/06

From XP copy the message store to the FAT32 partition. From Ubuntu import
the copied message store. I like to keep a small FAT32 partition just for
transferring data on dual boot machines. Another method is to use a USB
flash drive as an intermediate step.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Pegasus (MVP)

Aug 5, 2006, 9:53:01 AM8/5/06

"--Alias--" <n...@aolhell.org> wrote in message

Copy your OE data to an external drive (USB disk, flash memory)
that has a FAT32 partition.

Frank

Aug 5, 2006, 9:56:51 AM8/5/06

"--Alias--" <n...@aolhell.org> wrote in message news:eko39NJu...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

The Ubuntu file system is EXT2 not FAT32.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

--Alias--

Aug 5, 2006, 10:26:06 AM8/5/06

But you install it on a FAT32 partition, yes?

Alias

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Aug 5, 2006, 1:27:01 PM8/5/06
Welcome to Ubuntu Forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/

Others with same problem:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

NoStop

Aug 5, 2006, 1:40:06 PM8/5/06
On Saturday 05 August 2006 06:31 am, --Alias-- had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

I've never installed Ubuntu so I'm not talking from direct experience. That
being said, most distros that I have direct experience with have the
ability to read NTFS volumes (but not write to them, or at least not
safely). Also, you don't want to install Linux on FAT32. Linux should
install on an unformatted partition or will allow you to repartition the
harddrive you wish to install on and will normally use a journalled file
system such as ext3 or reiserfs. Typically a journalled partition will be
used to hold the o/s and another partition will be created as a swap drive.
Which one Ubuntu would setup by default, I don't know? Just google for the
answer on that. In fact, you should do some reading on how to install that
particular distro.

Here's the place for everything Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

--
WGA is the best thing that has happened for Linux in a while.

The ULTIMATE Windoze Fanboy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2370205018226686613

Is this a modern day equivalent of a Nazi youth rally?:

http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg

A 3D Linux Desktop (video) ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUSn-jBA3CE

View Some Common Linux Desktops ...
http://shots.osdir.com/

--Alias--

Aug 5, 2006, 2:23:49 PM8/5/06
NoStop wrote:
> On Saturday 05 August 2006 06:31 am, --Alias-- had this to say in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> I am going to install Ubuntu on another hard drive. Ubuntu is in FAT32.
>> So, if I want to import my OE message store and Address Book into
>> Ubuntu's email program, how do I do it when all my partitions in XP are
>> in NTFS?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Alias
>
> I've never installed Ubuntu so I'm not talking from direct experience. That
> being said, most distros that I have direct experience with have the
> ability to read NTFS volumes (but not write to them, or at least not
> safely). Also, you don't want to install Linux on FAT32. Linux should
> install on an unformatted partition or will allow you to repartition the
> harddrive you wish to install on and will normally use a journalled file
> system such as ext3 or reiserfs. Typically a journalled partition will be
> used to hold the o/s and another partition will be created as a swap drive.
> Which one Ubuntu would setup by default, I don't know? Just google for the
> answer on that. In fact, you should do some reading on how to install that
> particular distro.
>
> Here's the place for everything Ubuntu:
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

Hmmm, more complicated than I thought. Which one do you recommend that
doesn't have so many driver problems, MP3 problems and can import mail
from OE?

Alias

Kerry Brown

Aug 5, 2006, 3:04:29 PM8/5/06

Welcome to Linux. One of the strengths of Linux is the variety of distros.
It is also one of the weaknesses of Linux. I like Fedora FC5. I've also had
good luck with various Suse distros.

http://www.redhat.com/fedora/

http://www.novell.com/products/suselinux/

I believe Thunderbird can import email from Outlook Express. I've never
tried it with the Linux version.

NoStop

Aug 5, 2006, 3:29:57 PM8/5/06
On Saturday 05 August 2006 11:23 am, --Alias-- had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

I don't think Ubuntu would have "driver problems", as most recent distros
have that covered very well now. "MP3 problems" is not really a problem.
Some distros will not bundle MP3 codecs with the distro because MP3 is a
proprietary and copyrighted system and to stay away from any legal
problems, the distro won't automatically install them. BUT, they are
available and easily obtainable. Like I said, I don't have direct
experience with Ubuntu, but there's a system called Automatix that I
believe makes life very easy for those requiring stuff like this when using
Ubuntu.

Doesn't the Ubuntu CD also allow for a LiveCD boot? That would let you boot
and run Ubuntu from the CD (without touching your hard drives) and give you
a pretty good idea how it'll run with your hardware.

Coming from Windoze, as I'd said earlier in another thread, you might find a
Gnome based distro like Ubuntu a bit foreign to the way you're used to
using a computer. A more Windoze-friendly distro would run with KDE and
there are many to choose from including Kubuntu. With Ubuntu you can always
install the KDE desktop later.

I highly recommend for first-time users a distro like Mandriva as being VERY
user-friendly or something like Xandros or Mepis.

http://www.mandriva.com/en/download/free

The French servers tend to be fairly fast for downloads:

ftp://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/iso/2006.0/i586/

Download the 3 CD iso images, check the md5sum against the corresponding
*md5.asc files posted there and if they checkout ok, burn the images to cd
with something like Nero. Once you've got Mandriva installed, I can then
help you directly with how to setup for online repositories so you can
install tons of stuff including all required codecs.

But since you already have a Ubuntu install CD there, why not just take a
leap into installing Ubuntu? If you find you don't like it then you can
move over to some other distro. Heck, at this point you're only playing
around anyways. Installing Ubuntu looks pretty straight forward and
following the instructions below looks easy enough ...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/I386

Once installed you'd then go about installing Automatix which will give you
a GUI for installing an assortment of other stuff easily, from what I've
heard.

--Alias--

Aug 5, 2006, 3:53:45 PM8/5/06

Thanks, I'll check it out.